October 20, 2014 | 2099 users online

Eyeliner - Smashbox - Jet Set Waterproof Eye Liner - Black

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 8/6/2010 9:52:00 AM More reviews by Nancygia

I was wondering if it was just me and then I looked at the other reviews of this product. I had this for quite a while before I actually opened it and started using it. I find it very dry and difficult to use. Makes a quick makeup application not so quick. I would return it if I could but I don't think I saved the receipt. If you're looking for a good waterproof gel eyeliner, go with MAC Blacktrack, one of the Stila black smudge pots, or Bobbi Brown gel eyeliner in Black Ink.

rated 1 of 5 on 8/2/2010 4:13:00 PM More reviews by Paulinecheyram

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

This product worked wonderfully at first and stayed put. The black was also very dark. However, just after a few uses, it dried out completely and was unusable! Recommend Maybelline's gel eyeliner thats the same exact pot size but is wayy cheaper and does not dry out at all

rated 3 of 5 on 7/18/2010 3:53:00 PM More reviews by meow131

Its waterproof and doesnt leak. The con is that it drys up really fast and it becomes clumpy and hard to apply

rated 1 of 5 on 7/16/2010 10:44:00 PM More reviews by Harsiese

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

Im sorely disappointed. As a product it lasted well an color was great. But for a pricey eyeliner to dry out into a rock when it was shut tightly and stored correctly is irritating. To have it happen to THREE pots of it is infuriating! (I had loved it so much i bought black,navy and brown)

It doesnt matter how wonderful a product is if its unusable in two months despite proper storage. If you buy this, do it from sephora and store the box and receipt in a safe place

rated 5 of 5 on 7/16/2010 12:31:00 AM More reviews by winkkiss

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Such a great eye liner. You can use it for so many techniques. I line my water line (inner rim) with this liner. I have read some reviews where other become frustrated because they only get half way around the lid and the product dries. What you need to do is redip your brush into the product and keep going. It is the only waterproof line that stays all day on my waterline. It also is a must for the perfect smoky eye. You can simply smudge it into the lash line and blend it upward into the crease. Blend shadow and voila! The perfect smoked out look. If you feel like the all black smoky look is too severe for you, try mixing in a deep burgundy or plum shadow to soften the look. I have blue/grey eyes and the definition from this product makes the color pop.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/1/2010 9:30:00 AM More reviews by kristybean

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I love this eyeliner! It stays on and lasts forever. The liner even stays on the water line, definitely a must have for the smoky eye!

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 6/17/2010 9:07:00 AM More reviews by TrishyB

I'm disappointed with this eyeliner. I was hoping it'd be good but... Its average. The main problem I have with this is that it dries too quickly and by the time I'm halfway through my first eye, the remaining formula on my brush has semi-dried and gets flaky and little bits of it fall into my eye which really hurts especially when I'm wearing my lenses! I suppose its good if your fast at lining your eyes because the staying power is very good, lasts all day and doesn't move. Its very pigmented - a true black colour, it isn't as creamy as I'd imagined. I guess it takes some practice, and when it does turn out right, the result is farely good.
Don't think I'd buy this again. But I would recommend it for girls who can work fast with gel/creme liner and who want one that's longwearing

rated 5 of 5 on 5/14/2010 9:57:00 AM More reviews by JennAllyson

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

This is my HG of all eyeliners. I think my eyes are my best feature so I always try to play them up to the dramatic. I line my eyes out with a cat eye effect and the eyeliner never smudges. I am completely impressed! I've even had people ask me what kind of liner I use because they are impressed that it never smudges or runs.

PROS:
- LASTS ALL DAY!
- easy to apply
- smooth texture

CONS:
- price was $22
- pot is small in comparison to others
- no brush included

For those who had trouble with flaking, I found that if I keep my brush clean then I didn't have any problems with flaking. I noticed that if I let product buildup on my brush that it caused a lot of flaking. So far I haven't had any problem with it drying out. I have also used the Napoleon Perdis gel liner and had a horrible problem with it drying out and clumping! So far my Smashbox one has stayed creamy. I have also used Sonia Kashuk gel liner and it goes on nice and smooth, but it doesn't have the staying power that the Smashbox has. It's so hard to get excited about trying another brand of gel liners because the Smashbox is so good!

rated 4 of 5 on 5/6/2010 2:58:00 PM More reviews by Jayne

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

This has been my HG liner for quite a while now. I use the small side of my Bare Escentuals Double-Ended Shaping brush to apply and love the nice deep black which stays where I put it until I cleanse it off. Cleanses off with ease as compared to other waterproof products.

My only gripe about the product is that it does seem to sell out at Sephora and Ulta (especially after a QVC showing) and that I never use even half of the product before it dries out. A little goes a very long way and I have yet to be able to use anywhere near all of the product before having to replace which is why I took off 1 lippie on overall rating.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 5/1/2010 10:16:00 PM More reviews by NYC22

There are 100 reviews on this product and I'd like to weigh in and make mine #101! Here's the scoop: in theory this is a great little product. In reality I find it has limitations in terms of the product itself and one's skill at applying makeup.

As for the product itself, it dries quickly on the brush so one has to work fast - a little too fast in my opinion. I've also heard that it tends to dry so quickly that one must only leave the cap off when absolutely necessary; this makes me nervous just using it as the cost is over $20. In addition, the consistency is a little off; it needs to be a little more gel-like for a smoother application. Finally, Smashbox claims this "stays put all day" but I've found that it starts to wear off around the corners of my eyes (and then some) within hours.

As for application, I find this kind of hard to use. I tried it with Smashbox's #21 brush and the less said about that the better (see my other review). I also tried this with a flat brush and an angled brush - no luck there either. I settled on a pointedbrush by Sephora (#17) and it is adequate. The problem I have with the application is getting a consistent line across my lash line and waterline in terms of straightness, thickness and color saturation. Part of the problem lies in finding the right brush and part of it lies in consistency of the product - and part certainly lies in my limits as a makeup artist.

With all these problems, I do continue to use this eye liner. The fact is that I find it to be longer lasting than the powder liners I use for daytime. I also find it to have a truer black color; in my opinion many pencil liners seem to have an undertone of blue or green to them - not to mention that many pencil liners look greasy. Finally, for all I complaints about the difficulty of application, I still think it's easier to use a brush than a pencil. This sounds counter-intuitive but it is true for me. If you've ever been frustrated by a crayon or pencil eye liner, please try a makeup brush with a gel liner, pressed powder or loose powder.