September 21, 2014 | 2174 users online

Loose Powders - La Mer - Skincolor De La Mer - The Powder - Poudre de La Mer

rated 5 of 5 on 2/5/2010 10:02:00 PM More reviews by fancymakeup25

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This powder is AWESOME! It is my first La Mer product and the raving reviews ring true. I am more medium than light and I got neutral. It seems like it could work for many skin colors though. It is a HUGE jar-about 3 x the size of my other powders so it is actually a value if you think about how long it will last. I was surprised they'd price this much at 65 bucks, but I won't complain:) I ordered on the La Mer site and got 2 free samples and it was shipped super fast:) I'm a happy customer!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/27/2010 12:19:00 AM More reviews by Autumn13

Love, love it. I tried to buy this at Bloomies a few times and they seem to out all the time. I had to check La Mer’s website twice and finally they had it and I ordered one. I can see why this powder flies off the shelf. I’ve been using it for a week and when I get too lazy, I just brush this all over and my face looks smooth and fresh. I’ve tried others but this beats them hands down. Best of all, I love how it feels and how it makes me skin feels…soft.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/21/2010 1:02:00 AM More reviews by gladysAu

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

The best loose powder ever.
I had use so many brand before, this is indeed the most expensive one.
it has some light effect that make you skin look flawless, especially when you take photo, my face just look perfect with no heavy makeup effects . nature and and nice.
I will have to buy it again and again unless i can find something better.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/20/2010 1:13:00 AM More reviews by lchoe

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

With this powder, I cannot get over how lovely my skin looks (soft, smooth, velvet-y, air-brushed, radiant). As I am a skeptic of La Mer's quality overall (I am NOT a fan of La Mer skin care), I only tried (and bought on the spot) this powder b/c of the MUA reviews. As everyone wrote, the price is very reasonable considering the quantity ($65 for .88 oz or 25 gms vs. Dior that is $72 for .88 oz translating it from $46 for .56 oz). I rarely ever "feel" loose powder on my face but La Mer's Loose Powder is the lightest "feel" out of all loose powders I have tried/used. As for the surreal huge jar, I guess La Mer wanted us to have a huge La Mer trophy on our make-up tables (at least it's pretty and kitschy!).

As for shade, I had an interesting experience as my SA at Bergdorfs was the most uncaring, aloof SA one could ask for. I basically had to help myself and test everything by myself. I put "Neutral" on 1/2 of my face and "Beige" on the other 1/2. Beige looks lighter in the jar but it actually came out duller and darker than the "Neutral" on my face. "Neutral" actually lit up my face and made it more radiant. I even put the "translucent" on top of the "beige" color hoping the shimmery particles would compete with the "neutral" color. Not a chance. Even the blase, disinterested SA perked up, got up off her chair, walked over and looked at my face with the "neutral" side with wonder commenting how "bright, radiant" the "neutral" had made my 1/2 face look, "so much better than the other side". Lesson: it's really important to test the colors on your face, in the store with good light and then outside again with good light.

After I purchased this powder, I walked over to the next counter (Natura Bisse, my favorite skincare line). The saleswoman was hawking their new tinted sun cream and when I balked at the thick color of the sun cream (I have refused to wear any foundation or skin make-up my whole life), she commented "well you wear foundation, no?". I said never, only a light dusting of loose powder and she was highly impressed by the effect of the La Mer Loose Powder on my bare skin as it gave my skin the "finished, polished" look but still very natural.

Other Loose Powders I've used:
- La Prarie: soft but felt and looked "flat", a bit old fashioned, NOT air-y
- C. Dior (in the deep blue square container with the gorgeous brush): wonderful (soft, radiant, airbrushed look, controlled shine all day, but they discontinued this formula :-(
- Make Up Forever Matte Loose Powder: so soft but compared to La Mer, not a chance as this soft powder feels and looks flat compared to La Mer (comparing these: MUForever to La Mer Powder on your hand will make it very obvious)
- Nars: felt chalky and rough compared to La Mer

I am Korean, 43 years old (facialists/aestheticians guess I am 26 - 33). I have combination skin (dry in winter, slightly oily in summer however very prone to plugged pores and occasional breakouts). I use: Natura Bisse, Perricone MD, Jurlique, Cosmedicine, DHC Olive Oil Cleanser, and MD Forte Cleanser II & III.

39 out of 39 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 1/12/2010 4:34:00 PM More reviews by azi79

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

Over all the best of the best

Normal days I just wear it after moisture and I get perfect finish, smooth, shining, flawless... the finish is so beautiful.

The only thing i am not that satisfy is the package is too huge. I can not put it in my makeup drawer......

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/16/2009 10:01:00 PM More reviews by RainbowsUnicornsAndHGfdn

Click "continued" for photos.

My skin: I have the kind of combo skin where the oily pores sucks in whatever product I have on, mixes it with some sticky sebum, then spews it back out onto the drier skin surface for the sebum/powder paste to dry up, resulting in blotchy cakiness by 1pm, so the majority of the time my face looks dirty and messy. But even on skin as *lovely* as mine, La Mer doesn't ever cake, no matter how long I've had it on or how much I've sweated.

Shade: At the store I swatched "Translucent", which was way too shimmery for my combo skin (it looked like a subtle highlighter), so I got the lightest matte shade "01 Creme" for my NW15 skin since what I'm looking for is a powder to set my foundation and add a natural finish. Don't fret about finding your perfect shade as the sheerness of the shades is very forgiving.

Finish: This is only matte in the sense that it doesn't contain sparkles - it doesn't look flat/monotone at all. It's like baby skin, glowy and transparent, where you can see the flesh underneath the skin layer (that came out less pleasant than I intended, but you get my drift). It seems to smooth away pores and minor skintone uneven-ness, without adding a 'layered' look.

Oil control: I didn't expect this to control oil (since it looks so glowy as opposed to the heavy matte-ness you associate with effective oil-control powders), but every single day of this past week, I didn't have to use a blotting sheet once. I admit that by the end of the day (10hr), my skin did look "shinier" than in the morning but it wasn't the greasy kind of shine that you need to blot, but rather the natural kind of glow after a long day. My foundation also didn't look blotchy like it normally does.

Texture comparison: The following photos feature La Mer as well as 2 other finishing powders that I used to love. Notice how they compare next to La Mer: MAC Mineralize Skinfinish appears grainy, while Make Up For Ever HD Powder looks unnaturally matte which almost appears opaque-ish. La Mer does not form a layer of visible product or emphasize fine lines. The only difference between La Mer and 'nothingness' is that it will take away the flaws in your skin. Application is straightforward, no special techniques needed: lightly dip brush into powder (duo fiber or dense brushes both work well) , tap off excess, then brush or stipple onto skin. The included puff works too but I prefer the evenness of a brush.

Price: The jar contains 20g of product which is twice as much as most other companies', so if you break the price down, it's not as outrageous as it first appears. I'm pretty sure this'll last me a lifetime since you only need a tiny portion each time so really, it's worth it - I've wasted much more money on numerous other powders that I never even finished. Ladies, do give this a try, it could become your HG for life, and CAD$101 is a small price to pay for that.

Photos taken in yellow lighting so you can focus on product texture without being distracted by shade inconsistencies.

continued >>

51 out of 52 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 12/13/2009 9:44:00 AM More reviews by deewei

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

TOTALLY LOVE this powder. best loose powder ever. my skin is oily, and it does helps my skin looks not so oily. very soft and light. will last me over a year i think since its HUGE. mine is creme, n bought it at SGD123. worth the money though. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED. My daily MU start with moisturizer (use La Mer Gel Moist n love it as well), clinique pore minimizer, Laneige snow crystal found and La Mer Powder as the finishing touch. i dont even feel im wearing powder since its just sooooooo light. will repurchase again and again and again

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/8/2009 10:29:00 PM More reviews by asortafairytale

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

best. powder. ever. Im a huge fan of La Mer's liquid foundation, and use this over it. (Next purchase will be their new concealer...). This powder is so light, I dont know how they make it like that. Its unlike any loose powder Ive used. I was using clinique and laura mercier's translucent loose powders, but those are crap compared to this. Also, this powder looks very shimmery, but it is NOT like that on your skin. I was afraid of that because I have large pores and shimmer makes them look bigger. but this powder actually made my pores look smaller, if that was possible. It sets the foundation perfectly, doesnt disrupt the color or oxidize, and my skin looks like I dont have any makeup on, it just looks like natural good clear skin (and my skin is not all that great). No caking, no flakes, no powdery look. Perfect. $65 is a lot for powder, but you get a lot. the container is so huge, its the only thing I dont like. and its plastic. I wish it was smaller and glass, like the foundation bottle. It comes with a medium sized velvet powder puff with "La Mer" across the ribbon. La Mer is becoming my new favorite brand for skincare AND makeup, Im constantly being impressed with each new product I buy. Definitely worth a repurchase. ***update*** 01/12/2011 - I have used this powder pretty much every day since buying it, and I have about 1/4 left! I had no idea it would last so long. I still love it, and will repurchase when I run out, but that might not be until June!

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 9/3/2009 8:05:00 PM More reviews by websterboy20

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

I would probably review this product lower if I didn't have such a specialized use for it. I use this product as a blush for my cheeks, after having applied liquid foundation and setting my face with another finishing powder, Chanel Poudre Cristalline. I dip my blush brush into the powder, tap of excess, then lightly sweep over each cheek. I use this in translucent, which has a slight shimmer to it. Also, the colour of the translucent powder isn't completely sheer, do I do feel it adds a little flush of colour. Since I only use it for this purpose, the price isn't bad at all, and it will last me a loooong time. I actually enjoy the packaging, as it's very luxe, but to take it with me would be inconvenient. Lastly, I have very oily skin, and I don't find this powder to be matte enough to use as my finishing powder of choice.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/1/2009 5:50:00 PM More reviews by ragazza

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Other Eyes: Brown

My sis bought this for me in Florida at Neiman Marcus for $65. Here in Canada, it retails for $90 at Holt Renfrew. Even with the exchange it is cheaper in the States...so I scored big time !! On to the product. This powder is out of this world...definitely HG. It is finely milled and is wonderful at setting my foundation. It is never chalky and lasts all day. This powder will never make you look ghostly like some loose powders are notorious for. The jar is quite big so it will last a very long time. It's worth it's weight in gold. I will never experiment with any other brand of loose powder again. This is it...true love....

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No