beautyblender the sponge

4.4

on 1/3/2015 3:30:00 AM

I LOVE MY BEAUTYBLENDER! It just blends out your concealer and foundation so seamlessly, it's truly a miracle product, I have tried cheaper no name brands and even the Real Techniques cheaper alternative and they simply do not compare. The beautyblender is just so soft, its the best make up sponge.

The pointed side is amazing for blending in around your eye, with the bottom and sides being great for the rest of your face. The only downside is the hefty price tag attached ($20 on a sponge???!!!) people will think i'm crazy for spending this much every 3-4 months. The other small downside is how to clean the sponge - although the next thing on my list is the beautyblender solid cleanser to fix this problem!

But the truth is, I will repurchase over and over again. I was without one for a few months as I live in Aus and have to buy online, so with the price tag and added shipping I kept putting it off and boy did could I tell a difference - my face make up did not blend properly (and it was also significantly more time consuming), i got a foundation line on my chin, it was just cakey and a hot mess.

In all, if you are debating this product, but are worried about the price tag or wasting money; don't be. It truly is a miracle product, with nothing else even coming close to being as wonderful as it :)

on 1/1/2015 12:35:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

At first I didn't like this sponge for anything other than concealer. I don't think this is a great idea for acne prone skin.

I initially used this by applying the foundation to the sponge from my palette (squeezed foundation onto a palette then picked up with sponge) but it absorbed A LOT of product.

After not doing that for a while, I one day applied the foundation to my face and then pounced my dampened (and squeezed in a paper towel) to blend. That made all the difference. I didn't have the massive waste of product and my skin looked awesome.

For powder, I don't suggest this be used with pressed powder. But it works wonderfully with loose powder to set the under eye and other spots concealer was used.

If you don't want to use this as your "brush" to buff/apply foundation, I've found it effective at making skin look perfected and getting rid of brush lines

As for the dye coming out of the sponge: I never had that issue. I washed before initial use with baby shampoo. And after EVERY SINGLE USE I make sure to wash thoroughly.

I see women complaining about stains and whatnot "never getting out" but if you cleaned the sponge after using your heavy duty foundations and concealer, you won't have the issue.

I used the cleanser that came with my duo pack, but I can get my blender just as clean with other soaps.

My 1 year old took a bite out of my blender one day, but I wasn't throwing out my $20 sponge because of it. I took a manicure scissor and "sharpened" the angle the point comes too. And I still love it.

on 12/25/2014 9:16:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

So everyone has been going crazy about this sponge, so I really wanted to try it, and as for my first impression, this sponge is MAGIC! Creates such a flawless finish it's amazing. And it's so easy and quick!!! For me, I say instead of buying a $54 brush, buy this instead and you will get amazing results! The price is a little too much. And the packaging is so simple and cute. I love this! I recommend it for everyone!

on 12/19/2014 12:42:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool

I seem to be in the minority, but the beauty blender was just one of those fad things that some people absolutely love, but it just didn't work for me.

I have uber dry skin, and thought using the damp sponge might help with applying foundation. It just didn't work for me at all. It seemed to "kick up" flakes as I tried to work product in. Thinking maybe it was my foundation, I tried with different foundations, using it both dry, damp, and quite wet. Initially it would leave a nice finish, but once the dampness on my skin from the sponge dried, my skin looked uneven and blotchy.

Assuming I had been using it wrong, I went to youtube, trying to find a different technique. No luck. Not to mention, this sponge eats up product like crazy. I went from a half pump (before BBsponge) on my YSL foundation to 3 pumps. The coverage on my foundation went from full to medium using the sponge too.

Washing:
This is a pain. It takes forever to dry. Even a small amount of cleaning product, and this takes forever to rinse clean. But without a decent amount of cleaner, the makeup is still very visible on the surface. It looks stained and yucky even after a thorough washing. It takes even longer to dry.

I pull it out of my drawer from time to time, but always come to the same conclusion. I finally tossed it, and got some real techniques brushes. They are working much better for my dry skin.

on 12/18/2014 11:24:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm

While I'm not aware of there being any differences between the various colors offered, this review is for the pink beautyblender.

I was incredibly skeptical of a $20 sponge and wasted my time and money with some cheaper options before biting the bullet. However, since purchasing (about a year and a half ago) I have definitely fallen in love and have even gone so far as to gift others beautyblenders as well.

To use, I completely wet my beautyblender at which point it expands in size, then I squeeze out excess water. If I'm feeling particularly fancy, I'll then wrap it in a paper towel and squeeze out more excess water but most of the time I skip that step and haven't seen any reduction in performance. I then dab liquid foundation directly onto my face using my fingers, following up with the beautyblender to stipple it over my face.

A foundation that may look pretty decent with a skinlike finish when applied with fingers is transformed to a slightly dewier, but still believable finish. This method also applies my foundation more evenly, and doesn't leave streak marks as a brush does (which I find absorbs more of the product too).

I also occasionally use a beautyblender to apply concealer for more even coverage and to help prevent cakeiness. Sometimes if I'm wearing powder foundation which I prefer using brushes for, I'l dampen a beautyblender and gently pat my face with it to absorb excess powder for a more natural finish as well.

The beautyblender is a sponge material and can be sensitive to sharp objects so I have nicked it with my nail before and it has a tiny hole in that spot. However, the hole hasn't grown noticeably larger even with washing either before/after each use so I imagine this will last me a while. After about a year of using it about 3x a week the only difference is that the pink dye has faded so instead of the hot pink it was originally it's a slightly dulled bubblegum pink however this hasn't affected the performance. As a side note, I love using olive oil bar soap (I use Kiss My Face but Dr. Bronner's is a really popular brand) to clean mine and it gets out all the stains.

Contrasted with the dupes I tried (a generic 4-pack off Amazon, and then a slightly more expensive $10 sponge) I find the beautyblender expands much more, is softer, and absorbs less liquid product making it a more economical option in the long run. If you're using it with powder foundation to go lightly over when you're done applying with a brush, I think the dupes would perform just as well.

Overall, the beautyblender suits my needs since the finish of products matters a lot to me and I wouldn't hesitate to repurchase in the future. However, for anyone who is happy with how their foundation looks already, I don't think this would be necessary.

on 12/18/2014 8:54:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Warm

$19USD at sephora. pink in colour. have tried the real techniques due and this was better.
wet the sponge until it inflates and then use a towel to take out excess moisture.
i have used this with most of my foundations and those that are water based, it does a great job for. it blends liquid foundation flawlessly into my skin, and it feels nice too because its a dabbing motion- a brush has some drag.
its also very quick to apply liquids. you can build coverage in specific areas without caking up because the damp sponge is mixed with the pigments in the foundation.
blends concealers easily into the skin for highlighting and blemish covering purposes. i tap the concealer into the desired areas, and then blend with the sponge. the top tip is great for the under eye. the rounder bottom and the sides are great for larger face areas.
the packaging is a little plastic cylindrical tube that can be used to place the sponge on and let it dry. travel friendly.
only downside is cleaning it- its harder to clean than a brush and must be replaced every 3 months.
i don't have the designated beautyblender cleansers. i used my mac brush cleaner to clean it - soaked it in the cleansing liquid then squeezed it out and the foundation came out. the sponge is still stained though.

I had previously liked the beauty blender after using it and used nothing else to apply my foundation as I never received the same flawless look. I think I took it for granted. Mine sort of fell apart after some time and so I didn't have time to go to sephora and picked up a knock off beauty blender...NEVER BUY A KNOCK OFFS!!!! The beauty blender is the most amazing beauty sponge out there and it cannot be recreated. The $20 is very much worth every cent. I can't live without it.

on 12/17/2014 12:09:00 PM

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

I'm late to jump on the BB bandwagon but like it so far. I've used it with tinted moisturizers, foundations, cream compact foundations, and even Laneige BB cushion, because I don't like the flat spongey applicator included with the compact. My foundation looks natural but the sponge seems to absorb a lot of product. I can never get this thing clean though, no matter what I use. After cleaning, there's always a blob of foundation stuck on the fat end of the sponge that I can't remove, but that's probably user error. I like BB, but I was previously using the Shu Uemura lightbulb foundation sponge to apply my makeup, which I like better due to its smoother texture.

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

I am so late in finally purchasing this product! with different foundations, i use specific brushes for each one to get a specific coverage. My mufe hd has been sitting in my vanity untouched because i just didnt like how thick it looked on my face, but the beauty blender really blends it nicely! i just need one squirt of foundation, use my BB damp and voila! seamless

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

Hair: Blond, Other, Medium

I was reluctant to buy this seeing I can get a good foundation brush with my MAC discount for this price. I finally caved and bought it. It is a nice change from the traditonal brush. Blends foundation beautifully. I dont love the sponge, but I do like the addtion to my kit. It's a nice option to have, and does create a flawless look. Although, nothing you cant recreate with a brush.

Popular Misc Beauty Tools