October 23, 2014 | 1747 users online

Dry Shampoo - Cornstarch as Dry Shampoo

• Price: $

rated 1 of 5 on 11/11/2008 11:50:00 AM More reviews by azaleadeez

It's cheap. It's translucent. It didn't make me break out. But it didn't help control my oily skin and not on my oily scalp either.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 10/13/2008 2:53:00 PM More reviews by Tina68

I hate to ruin a product's perfect record, but cornstarch as a makeup primer did not work for me. Wait....let me qualify this; it did keep me relatively matte for a long time and I was over the moon about this. I was never as matte as I was with cornstarch under my makeup. Worked better than anything I've ever used. Unfortunately, it broke me out. WIthin a few days of adding cornstarch to my makeup routine, I had three - not one or even two, but three ginormous pimples on my right cheek. Very big, very red and very there. I put the cornstarch away. I'm glad it worked for others, but pretty bummed it didn't work for me. I put it back in the kitchen where it shall stay.

9 out of 11 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/13/2008 2:31:00 PM More reviews by blondchick12

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Haven't used this on my hair but maybe ill give it a try since I am so happy with its oil soaking properties for my face. I use a tiny amount on my T-zone and it controls oil like nothing else! No breakouts and no white cast. CHEAP! So glad I decided to try this, you should too : )
Oh I forgot to specify, I use a small amount of this over my makeup as a finishing powder to control oil, not under my makeup as a primer. EDIT:: taking off 1 lippie...i think i wanted this to be my HG, because its so affordable, but Maybelline DReam Matte Powder is much better, try it!

rated 5 of 5 on 9/27/2008 1:34:00 AM More reviews by lilorchid82

I use this product in the Johson and Johnson baby powder with lavender scent version. It's irreplaceable for the in-between shampoo days. Generally, my hair is un-greased for the remainder of that day. I haven't tried it for my face. I'm concerned that since cornstarch is like a petri dish for bacteria, it will cause me to break out. Even on my hair, I would use it in the morning and shampoo in the evening.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/9/2008 3:16:00 AM More reviews by Gilly07

I am currently using Johnson's Pure cornstarch powder.
I am 48 but still have a really oily T-zone which will make my hair greasy in a few hours and of course I get awful shine problems, But when I use this I can go the whole workday without a bit of shine, I can feel my forehead and it still feels dry (in a good way, not dehydrated) and perfect, and of course my fringe (bangs) does not get greasy. I just dust it on as a finishing powder and I look flawless!!!
Gotta love that!

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 5/11/2008 6:04:00 PM More reviews by jcintron

I found this gem searching the product review boards here on MUA. I am so glad that I did!! I use it as both a dry shampoo and face powder. As a dry shampoo I put it in my hair over night. I sprinkle some in then rub it in and comb through. In the morning I blow dry it out and there is no white stuff in my dark brown hair. It has volume and styles nicely.
As a face powder I first apply my powder foundation on and then use a little bit of cornstarch to set it. This helps to soak up all the shine and reduces the appearance of my pores even further. I make sure to blend it well, especially around the corners of nose and you really can't tell that I have anything on. In other words I don't like a Geisha or a clown. Before using this two hours after putting my makeup I would have to blot. I have combo skin and my T-zone is really shiny. After using the cornstarch I don't have to blot as much and I swear it has improved my oil production. My T-zone doesn't get as oily anymore even when I don't use the cornstarch. I wish I would have known about this sooner.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/22/2008 10:53:00 AM More reviews by jadkin

AMAZING dry shampoo! i bought a whole whack of this from bulk barn and put it into a spice container. i sprinkle a little on a natural-bristle brush and comb through my roots and bangs. poof! oilies are gone. incredible. so cheap and effective. love it when i find something like this :D BONUS: i applied some of this to my face with a blush brush and it instantly soaked up all sheen.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/14/2008 11:36:00 PM More reviews by tried_em_all

Age: 44-55 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I use this like some of the others below, in-between hair washings and it works great. Like when I want to run to the store to take care of few things before I wash my hair. I keep it in an old spice jar (one with small holes) and sprinkle into my hands. Just a little dusting, then I use a blow dryer after I've tousled it in, to blow out the excess, and I don't have any white residue left. It works great. I also use it as a powder for my eyes, before applying shadow and mascara, to keep them both in place. It's natural and the only people who might have issues with it, would be those with corn/grain allergies.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/28/2007 12:41:00 AM More reviews by luckylouie

Where on earth have my pores just gone? After reading review for a couple of the rice powder face products, and seeing that a couple of mua reviewers were using cornstarch as a finishing product I decided to try it for myself. I have light olive skin, and yet this goes on my bare skin completely translucent. At the end of a full day I do need to blot just slightly, but wow, what a lovely finish. I am 44 and have the beginnings of lines near my mouth and eyes, and yet this doesn't emphasise them at all. I've been making all my friends peer at my face in bright daylight and they can't see the cornflour either, so it really does go on translucent. I am so impressed with this that I am now on the hunt for some mineral makeup colouring micas, so that I can try my hand at making the perfect loose powder foundation. This is better than anything I've ever bought!

15 out of 16 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 9/12/2007 10:15:00 PM More reviews by graciewacie

I just tried this on my hair to extend in-between washings and I must say it does a good job! I have dark brown hair so to prevent the cornstarch from being noticable I take an eye shadow brushand dip it in a small bowl of cornstarch and I shake off the excess before touching my hair. I dot this on my hair part and along my bangs and then brush it in with a larger powder brush and it works great! P.S. for us darker haired girls, I recommend putting in the cornstarch the night before and then when you wake up you will not have as much noticible! Just make sure the application before bed is blended in fairly good!

I also just tried to use this as a face powder since nothing works for my face that gets oily by mid morning. I used this on my cheeks and forehead (again using a large powder brush and shaking off the excess on the brush) and it worked wonderfully! My cheeks and forehead were not beaming in excess oil!!

This is now my HG for face powders! A few cents too! Just make sure you don't over do it or you'll look ghostly!

11 out of 11 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No