Cornstarch as Dry Shampoo

4.6

Price: $

Price: $

I have used ordinary kitchen cornstarch many times in my makeup regime. I dip my powder brush into a small container of cornstarch and use it as a finishing powder or blend it with other powders with pigment to set my makeup. I always brush and blend a small amount onto my eyelids to set my eye makeup too. For me it works to keep some of the shine down on my face and less creasing on my eyelids. It is an uber cheap fix for the oilies..

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

I used this as a face powder. Usually after about an hour of putting on other face powders my nose resembles an oil slick. Not so with cornstarch.

My face has stayed matte the whole day, maybe slightly dewey by the end of the day. By far an improvement :]

I took some of my cooking cornstarch and put it in a little container that makes it easier to dip my powder brush into. it's pretty convenient, actually.

Well, it never occurred to me to use cornstarch cosmetically until I read MUA reviews. I tried it for my hair, and it didn't do much for me. However, I mixed it with my too-dark face powder . . . and it does a fantastic job of keeping my oilies at bay! Frankly, this has worked better than anything I've ever used at keeping my face matte all day. I've had my makeup on for 12 hours now . . . and my face still feels pretty fresh. Instead of raiding my kitchen cabinets next time, I'll go out and buy J&J's baby cornstarch for its shaker-bottle package. Thanks for the recos!

I have been using this as a transulecent powder on my face for the past couple of weeks to control oil and I have to see it's better than any powder I've ever tried. At nine o clock at night my skin only has the tiniest sheen to it whereas before I was so greasy it was embarrassing, this has been a lifesaver!

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

It's cheap. It's translucent. It didn't make me break out. But it didn't help control my oily skin and not on my oily scalp either.

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse

I hate to ruin a product's perfect record, but cornstarch as a makeup primer did not work for me. Wait....let me qualify this; it did keep me relatively matte for a long time and I was over the moon about this. I was never as matte as I was with cornstarch under my makeup. Worked better than anything I've ever used. Unfortunately, it broke me out. WIthin a few days of adding cornstarch to my makeup routine, I had three - not one or even two, but three ginormous pimples on my right cheek. Very big, very red and very there. I put the cornstarch away. I'm glad it worked for others, but pretty bummed it didn't work for me. I put it back in the kitchen where it shall stay.

Haven't used this on my hair but maybe ill give it a try since I am so happy with its oil soaking properties for my face. I use a tiny amount on my T-zone and it controls oil like nothing else! No breakouts and no white cast. CHEAP! So glad I decided to try this, you should too : )
Oh I forgot to specify, I use a small amount of this over my makeup as a finishing powder to control oil, not under my makeup as a primer. EDIT:: taking off 1 lippie...i think i wanted this to be my HG, because its so affordable, but Maybelline DReam Matte Powder is much better, try it!

I use this product in the Johson and Johnson baby powder with lavender scent version. It's irreplaceable for the in-between shampoo days. Generally, my hair is un-greased for the remainder of that day. I haven't tried it for my face. I'm concerned that since cornstarch is like a petri dish for bacteria, it will cause me to break out. Even on my hair, I would use it in the morning and shampoo in the evening.

I am currently using Johnson's Pure cornstarch powder.
I am 48 but still have a really oily T-zone which will make my hair greasy in a few hours and of course I get awful shine problems, But when I use this I can go the whole workday without a bit of shine, I can feel my forehead and it still feels dry (in a good way, not dehydrated) and perfect, and of course my fringe (bangs) does not get greasy. I just dust it on as a finishing powder and I look flawless!!!
Gotta love that!

I found this gem searching the product review boards here on MUA. I am so glad that I did!! I use it as both a dry shampoo and face powder. As a dry shampoo I put it in my hair over night. I sprinkle some in then rub it in and comb through. In the morning I blow dry it out and there is no white stuff in my dark brown hair. It has volume and styles nicely.
As a face powder I first apply my powder foundation on and then use a little bit of cornstarch to set it. This helps to soak up all the shine and reduces the appearance of my pores even further. I make sure to blend it well, especially around the corners of nose and you really can't tell that I have anything on. In other words I don't like a Geisha or a clown. Before using this two hours after putting my makeup I would have to blot. I have combo skin and my T-zone is really shiny. After using the cornstarch I don't have to blot as much and I swear it has improved my oil production. My T-zone doesn't get as oily anymore even when I don't use the cornstarch. I wish I would have known about this sooner.

Top Rated No Brand (DIY or homemade) Products