Homemade Vitamin C Serum

4.4

on 9/20/2013 6:29:00 PM

Who doesn't want smoother skin, less pigmentation, and a glow? This sounded pretty appealing to me, so I gave this serum a try after reading quite a bit about the chemistry of it, reading as many reviews as I could find, and finding various recipes to compare against my own formula.

My serum consisted of 1/4 tsp L-ascorbic acid, 4 tsp filtered water, and 1 tsp glycerine. I made it every day and applied it every evening for a few days. I'd apply it after cleansing and before moisturizing, giving it time to soak in and my skin to dry a bit. The first two or three days were fine. I think I might have seen a very slight difference in the texture of my skin in areas where I have larger pores. There was no buring and no other problems. The glycerine, however, felt sticky and oily on my face, even after I reduced the amount to 1/2 tsp.

Then, on day four, I put the serum on my skin and instantly I could feel the most awful burning sensation all around my nose. It didn't happen anywhere else on my face. When I went to look at my face in the mirror it was incredibly dry and stretched across my cheeks. There was no pinkness or flushing. My skin was also very dull and greyish in a way I've never seen before. I washed my face off thoroughly and applied my moisturizer to help my skin recover. In the morning the skin around my nose was very tender, red, and was peeling like a sunburn.

It's now day seven and though I have not used the serum for almost three days, the skin around my nose is still raw, tender, and now it's scabbing up. The rest of my face is perfectly fine. No irritation whatsoever. Strangely, it's just around my nose.

The only consistent result I noticed with this serum is that my skin NEVER glowed. It just looked duller and duller.

Maybe I'm one of the 40% of people that topical vitamin C doesn't work for. Niacinamide makes my skin so much happier, so perhaps I'll stick to store-bought preparations instead of DIY for this kind of thing. And I'm fine with that because there is no beauty treatment worth me or my skin being miserable no matter the short- or long-term outcome.

Seriously, buying a good Vitamin c product might be expensive, but I will definitely take this charge, because this DIY is ,for me, not worth the afford.
Vitamin c is extremely unstable and fabricate it again so often is really annoying.
Better spend my money on a nicely formulated product, than my own unstable formulation.

on 9/18/2013 8:10:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

Great idea - leaves my skin so smooth and i reckon i break out less because of it - I make it fresh to use each day, in the am. mix a pinch with distilled water and pat onto cleansed skin and in the pm before bed, same as above I just add a few drops of rose hip or emu oil ;)

Just wanted to Edit this and add that I now add 3 pinches of MSM powder into my serum, and getting great results!!

on 9/11/2013 5:11:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Neutral

I make my own concentrated vitamic C serum mask at home and love the results! It makes my skin glowy and soft!

Ingredients:
1. Whole foods vitamin C - I use Madre-C. Although it is expensive, it is natural and good for sensitive skin. L-absorbic acid Vitamin C crystals are too harsh for sensitive skin, in my opinion.

2. Aloe vera juice - I use food grade aloe vera juice from Lily of the Desert. This forms the base to dissolve the vitamin C. You can use distilled water, but I find aloe to be very soothing.

I like to use 2 tbsp vitamin C with 1 tbsp aloe vera juice. Mix it up to a thick creamy consistency. Apply on the face and leave til it is dry. It should take about 10-15 minutes. Wash off with warm water and a soft wash cloth.

I use this mask about 1-2 times a week and make it from scratch every time.

on 8/20/2013 3:16:00 PM

okay so I just started using my homemade serum very recently. I gotta say, so far I love it! I only rated it four because I haven't had time to test it in the long run. I use 1/4 tsp of vitamin shoppe ascorbic acid and 4 tsp of spring or tap water (which is pretty good around here), and I use it once daily. I have retin-a that I occasionally use, but I think I'm actually beginning to like the serum better seeing as I'm not molting two days later. I feel like it gives me a nice little glow, and is keeping the small pimples I occasionally get at bay. also seems to be working for the PIH I've had lingering around. I will update in a couple weeks, but hopefully I continue to see positive results!

on 8/7/2013 10:26:00 AM

I am a retired hair stylist. I worked in a spa my entire 28 years and was spoiled by immediate access to the best of the best in skincare products. I used vita c and vita a products for years with great results. I cannot afford my bad self anymore which inspired me to start doing diy products. I now make a lot of my product and find the vita c mixed with distilled water with a couple of drops of glycerine to be the winner. Simple and effective. I am 60 (just turned) and get accused of being 40 all the time.

on 8/2/2013 9:50:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Neutral

Whaaaaat!?? Why have I waited so long to use this? Thanks to a course of accutane a few years ago, I don't really break out anymore. However, I do get an occasional spot. This has not only kept those at bay, but also given me a pretty, post-dermabrasion look. I just put a small amount of vit c crystals (Whole Foods brand) into a spray bottle, mixed with bottled water, and voila. I use randomly between moisturizer and retin-a.

on 7/31/2013 6:29:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Kinky, Fine

I have been using this for 2 weeks and the difference to my skin is quite remarkable. My issues are acne scarring but also dry skin, and it's kind of a nightmare to find a product that is moisturizing enough but doesn't clog my pores or cause acne. I've never used a serum before but was intrigued by it and saw on here that it's had good reviews. I apply it twice a day to my face and neck. I use it under my primer instead of moisturizer.

Like many have noted the brightening effect was immediate. The skin around my eyes is now much smoother and lighter, and acne scars are flattening and fading. My skin feels so soft and tone is more even and has a nice glow. It has not caused me to break out. I gave some to my mother, who is 68, and she loves it and now uses it instead of her regular moisturizer.

I use a solution of 1/4 tsp vitamin C powder, 1/4 tsp vegetable glycerine and 4 tsp distilled water. I bought a bottle with a dropper and make a new batch once a week.

on 7/3/2013 5:40:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Hyaluronic Acid very bacteria friendly so you must add a preservative if you include it in a DIY serum.
I use Dermagen from www.skinactives.com for HA Serum

PS You can put the Ascorbic acid crystals in your palm, add a little water and VERY LIGHTLY massage into skin & rinse for a quick brightening exfoliating

on 6/23/2013 5:54:00 AM

I LOVE YSL Forever Youth Liberator Serum, but since the benefits of using all serums reverses when you stop using them, I cannot afford to buy this for the rest of my life.

I am 62 and really did not believe a DIY serum would work, but after reading everything I could on the web I thought I might as well try it. After all - it is cheap!

So one morning, I put 50% Vit C and 50% distilled water in a tiny bowl, stirred, crushed with back of spoon all day long and the C would not dissolve. I then put it in the microwave for a second and it worked, but the heat oxidizes the C so I threw that away and tried again. Next time I also added glycerin but even though it was a tiny drop, I did not like it because I could feel it, so back to just C & water. This time I used 1/2 tsp of Vit C and added 4 tsp of distilled water. The C dissolved immediately! I then read " the higher the % of Vit C the longer it will take the crystals to dissolve" so if anyone is having a problem just add a bit more water.

I absolutely love this serum!!! I have tried many very expensive serums and will admit that YSL is still my favorite, but my DIY serum is second.

One problem I am having though is my pillow case has orange stains on it. Does anyone else have this problem? Is there a solution to it????

Popular Treatments (Face)