April 17, 2014 | 1814 users online

Treatments - Homemade Vitamin C Serum

rated 5 of 5 on 11/30/2012 11:35:00 AM More reviews by rachelleanita

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I used The Body Shop's vitamin C serum which was ok, but I never saw a huge difference. I read about homemade serums and bought a big bag of the powder off of Ebay for super cheap. Make sure it's the pure, real stuff! I make just a teeny bit at a time because it doesn't work well when it isn't fresh, and I put it in a dark amber dropper bottle and keep it in the fridge.

After about a week of using it, I realized my skin was super clear, glowy, and even toned. The only thing I changed was the addition of this, so it has to be from the vitamin C! I only use it in the morning, and I haven't found any glycerin so I mixed it with water instead and use it like a toner. It may tingle or lightly sting for a second, but it doesn't irritate my skin. Once it's completely soaked in I put on my moisturizer. This is a permanent addition to my skincare regimine, and I think it's a necessity for everybody. Don't waste your money on products that don't even work as well as this pure and cheap homemade potion. I will be upping the potency next time I make it.

This link has a lot of information about making your own serum and a great recipe guide:

23 out of 23 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 11/16/2012 1:01:00 AM More reviews by soccergirl272

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

If only I could figure out how to make this right... Maybe after my chem class is over;)

rated 5 of 5 on 11/13/2012 11:03:00 PM More reviews by lipstickland

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Ooooo my gosh!!! Run to the store and buy Vitamin C crystals right now guys. It might say Ascorbic Acid crystals. Its the same thing. This product is absolutely amazing! I was so upset because I started to notice some not so fine lines under my eyes and between my brows. Being only 28, this bothered me. I tried several different things and this did the trick. There are all different ways that you can make the serum.. I did a lot of research and I know the most important thing is to make it fresh every time in the palm of your hand because the vit c oxidizes rapidly. Also, it is key to mix it with vitamin E as that is when it is most effective. What I have done, that seems to work best is this:

pour a little olive oil (which contains vit E) or oil from a vit E capsule in the palm of my hand

add a little purified water

add a pinch of the vit C crystals

rub it in so that the crystals absorb

apply the serum all over. concentrate on areas of concern.

Hope this helps pretty ladies! Also I wanted to add that Rosehip seed oil and taking omega 3 oils with high dha content has helped my skin dramatically. (make sure you NEVER supplement with omega 6's or 9's as we get plenty of those in the diet already and they are immflamatory)

26 out of 26 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 11/6/2012 9:44:00 PM More reviews by bixbailey

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I've been making C serum for a few years, based on a recipe from EDS. It helps fade post-acne pigmentation, gives a luminescence to the skin, and has a firming effect. My mom has been using it as well and always comments about its effectiveness. Like most, I buy supplies online and keep the serum refrigerated in amber bottles. Definitely recommend.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/6/2012 8:07:00 PM More reviews by playsindirt

I stumbled upon this accidentally when I was looking for Vitamin C serum reviews. Dr. Oz had on a couple of dermatologists on one day a few weeks back and both doctors stated that every woman should be using a C Serum for the anti-aging and antioxidant properties. But man are they expensive! I am so glad I found this - it is truly miraculous. I cannot get over the change in only a week. I got all my ingredients at my local health food store. I mix mine as follows - 1T distilled water, 1t L-ascorbic acid crystals, 1t glycerin and shake. It lasts about a week in an amber dropper bottle. Couldn't be easier OR CHEAPER. Initially, I was using it in the morning since that's what the doctors on Dr. Oz recommended but it's a little sticky and I didn't like what it did to my foundation so I switched to a nightime application. My forehead lines and crows feet are softening and my pores are getting visibly smaller. It's almost shocking. Really genius. I'm looking forward to trying some of the other recipes found on this thread. UPDATE: I found that I didn't like the sticky texture form the glycerin and it also eventually caused some milia on my chin. I found the easiest way for me is to just put some Thayer's Rose Petal Witch Hazel in a 1 oz. amber bottle and add 1 teaspoon of the AA crystals; apply with a cotton ball after cleansing in the a.m., followed by sunblock. It doesn't mess with my make-up doing it this way and allows me to use a retinoid at night.

25 out of 26 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 11/5/2012 3:58:00 PM More reviews by RosieLouMelon

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

Hands down the best thing that I have done for my skin in the last ten years. I use Nutribiotic Ascorbic Acid that I got at Whole Foods and distilled water. I mix it fresh in the morning: put on my bare skin under my moisturizer (followed by my sunscreen) and every other night. At first I broke out with little whiteheads allover, but I just kept forging on (haha) and I couldn't be more pleased with the results. I'm 41 and my skin looks amazing!! Before using this serum I was breaking out with cystic acne and it was horrible. Nothing at all now! Absolutely LOVE this. Thank you MUA for another fabulous discovery!!!

12 out of 12 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 11/3/2012 1:50:00 PM More reviews by strawberrygrl

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Other, Fine Eyes: Green

Im not sure if i bought the 'right' kind of ascorbic acid. I got mine from Trader Joes and it was a huge container for about $10. The packaging just says ascorbic acid and nothing in regards to L-ascorbic acid. Idk if that would have made a difference if I bought LAA but my results haven't been that great. I feel like my hyper-pigmentation have become more visible? Hard to describe. 3 lippie rating because it does make my skin very soft and smoother! My recipe: 1/4 teaspoon of ascorbic acid, 1 tablespoon of distilled water, and 1/2 teaspoon of pure glycerin. Stored in dark container.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 10/21/2012 8:36:00 PM More reviews by Thunderblitz

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I've been using this for several weeks and am very impressed. I had used commercial vitamin c serums in the past, but stopped because they were expensive and oxidized very quickly (turned yellow or brown) - it's not fun to pay quite a bit for something and then have to throw it out.

One thing I think is key is to use distilled water only, as there many be impurities in other sources that will interfere with the vitamin c. I use only distilled water and L-absorbic acid (LAA) powder. A good source is the vitaminshoppe.com, where you can purchase a large container for only about $10 bucks - probably enough to keep you in vitamin c serum for a year. I've also read to avoid LAA capsules because they may contain binders. You should also optimally use a colored, not clear, container.

This is definitely worth trying. Just remember, if you see your formulation turning yellow or brown, throw it out, as it will do more harm than good at that point. This formula has great collagen-producing effects, I'm thinking even more perhaps than retin-a at this point, at least for me.

15 out of 16 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 10/15/2012 6:01:00 AM More reviews by Juanis

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

This is the best thing ever! I've always had hormonal acne due to PCOS and my love of junk food for years now. However, I started using Vit C Serum about a month ago and the change has been drastic. I've gone from a face full of whiteheads and blackheads with regular cystic spots and horrible acne scars to an almost completely clear face. I'm in love!

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 10/1/2012 6:35:00 PM More reviews by EWest

Started using this a wekk ago and I LOVE THIS.
I bought the pure absorbic acid (NOW brand, fast shipping and on amazon) and every night I take a half tablespoon of warm water and a pinch of the powder and mix it. Makes it easy and fresh every night. Then I take a thin cotton pad and spread it over my face after it is clean.
I LOVE it so far, it has cleared up my acne and I have had no new major breakouts since then and my skin tone is better! If it continues I will update but so far so good :)

UPDATE:
So after a while it didn't work great EXCEPT on my forehead! That has stayed perfectly clear! And I also switched my solution to a more long term one. I take a dark brown glass bottle (what i got my rose water in actually) and take one teaspoon of the powder and 5 teaspoons of COLD WATER (Don't make it hot! It will change the vitamin C) And I keep it in the fridge! Keeps GREAT (also cooling feeling is very nice) and I just switch it out if I notice any color at all in the solution. I am trying it out with an aspirin mask now and so far getting better again! No new acne and what I have is fading fast!. :) I have reviewed that also on the aspirin page!
I decreased a lippe because I did not work on my cheeks and jawline!

9 out of 13 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No