Homemade Vitamin C Serum

4.4

on 8/7/2013 10:26:00 AM

I am a retired hair stylist. I worked in a spa my entire 28 years and was spoiled by immediate access to the best of the best in skincare products. I used vita c and vita a products for years with great results. I cannot afford my bad self anymore which inspired me to start doing diy products. I now make a lot of my product and find the vita c mixed with distilled water with a couple of drops of glycerine to be the winner. Simple and effective. I am 60 (just turned) and get accused of being 40 all the time.

on 8/2/2013 9:50:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Neutral

Whaaaaat!?? Why have I waited so long to use this? Thanks to a course of accutane a few years ago, I don't really break out anymore. However, I do get an occasional spot. This has not only kept those at bay, but also given me a pretty, post-dermabrasion look. I just put a small amount of vit c crystals (Whole Foods brand) into a spray bottle, mixed with bottled water, and voila. I use randomly between moisturizer and retin-a.

on 7/31/2013 6:29:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Kinky, Fine

I have been using this for 2 weeks and the difference to my skin is quite remarkable. My issues are acne scarring but also dry skin, and it's kind of a nightmare to find a product that is moisturizing enough but doesn't clog my pores or cause acne. I've never used a serum before but was intrigued by it and saw on here that it's had good reviews. I apply it twice a day to my face and neck. I use it under my primer instead of moisturizer.

Like many have noted the brightening effect was immediate. The skin around my eyes is now much smoother and lighter, and acne scars are flattening and fading. My skin feels so soft and tone is more even and has a nice glow. It has not caused me to break out. I gave some to my mother, who is 68, and she loves it and now uses it instead of her regular moisturizer.

I use a solution of 1/4 tsp vitamin C powder, 1/4 tsp vegetable glycerine and 4 tsp distilled water. I bought a bottle with a dropper and make a new batch once a week.

on 7/3/2013 5:40:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Hyaluronic Acid very bacteria friendly so you must add a preservative if you include it in a DIY serum.
I use Dermagen from www.skinactives.com for HA Serum

PS You can put the Ascorbic acid crystals in your palm, add a little water and VERY LIGHTLY massage into skin & rinse for a quick brightening exfoliating

on 6/23/2013 5:54:00 AM

I LOVE YSL Forever Youth Liberator Serum, but since the benefits of using all serums reverses when you stop using them, I cannot afford to buy this for the rest of my life.

I am 62 and really did not believe a DIY serum would work, but after reading everything I could on the web I thought I might as well try it. After all - it is cheap!

So one morning, I put 50% Vit C and 50% distilled water in a tiny bowl, stirred, crushed with back of spoon all day long and the C would not dissolve. I then put it in the microwave for a second and it worked, but the heat oxidizes the C so I threw that away and tried again. Next time I also added glycerin but even though it was a tiny drop, I did not like it because I could feel it, so back to just C & water. This time I used 1/2 tsp of Vit C and added 4 tsp of distilled water. The C dissolved immediately! I then read " the higher the % of Vit C the longer it will take the crystals to dissolve" so if anyone is having a problem just add a bit more water.

I absolutely love this serum!!! I have tried many very expensive serums and will admit that YSL is still my favorite, but my DIY serum is second.

One problem I am having though is my pillow case has orange stains on it. Does anyone else have this problem? Is there a solution to it????

on 6/16/2013 6:35:00 PM

I do a simple distilled water and vitamin c crystal potion, which I prepare every few days and put in a repurposed opaque serum bottle and store in the fridge. About 1/4 tsp powder to 3 1/5 tsp water.

After cleansing at night, I dispense a few pumps and pat on my skin, then follow with fresh refrigerated aloe vera juice. I leave that on until it dries and then put on my evening moisturizer. Done. Amazingly positive difference in my skin. I bought my L-ascorbic acid crystals from the pharmacy, about $10 for 100 grms. I keep the crystals in the fridge.

I read somewhere that one thing women over 50 should absolutely do is to add a Vitamin C serum to their skin care routine. I am evidence of that good advice. What a joy that I have an inexpensive, potent, and absolutely fresh way of delivering that!

on 6/16/2013 6:03:00 PM

I've only been using it for 2 days so far so I'll keep updating as I progress.
my skin is terrible lately, I've got these small whiteheads under my skin that I can't squeese because they just seem to stay there without forming a head to squeeze. I tried many things including topical antibiotics from the doctor but nothing seemed to do anything for me.. After reading reviews on mua for homemade vitamin c serum I thought I'd give it a try with it being so cheap.
I made my serum using asorbic acid, And some some botanics organic rose water toner (which is just glycerin, Water, Alcohol denat, rose oil and citronellol) then I added extra water. I've just ordered some vitamin e oil too, I think I'm going add that too when it arrives
Anyway the first day I put it on I was out all day, when I came home I looked in the mirror and lots of those spots that had been under my skin for the longest time had surfaced, I squeezed them, washed my face, applied more serum overnight, when I woke up in the morning my skin looked really refreshed, still lots of tiny spots under the skin but its really evened out my skin tone. this evening more have surfaced, absolutely no new spots, its just purging the gunk out of my skin! my skin is looking really good so far and where I've squeezed is healing quickly.

edit: although it helped purge my skin at first it makes my skin very oliy for at least a week after using which in the long run causes more acne and blocked pores. I've come to realize that acidic ingredients make my skin extremely oily and alkaline products such as soap make my skin dry. I believe doing this messes up the p.h balance of your skin, if you're going to make you're own serum you need to get some p.h testing strips and neutralize your serum by adding an alkaline ingredient to your highly acidic vitamin c

on 6/11/2013 10:52:00 AM

5% Serum-1/4 tsp Powder-4 & 3/4 tsp base
10% Serum-1/4 tsp Powder-21/4 tsp base
15% Serum-3/8 tsp Powder-2 1/8 tsp base
20% Serum-1/4 tsp Powder-1 tsp base

I have only used this for five days and can already see an improvement in my skin (although it could also be the shea butter that I started using at the same time). My skin is more even, pimples heal quickly and occur less frequently, my BB cream applies smoothly, skin has become firmer and wrinkles less noticeable, and I think my acne scars are lightening. My face hasn't looked this great in years. It has brought back my confidence and I'm hoping I can someday go without any makeup.

Note that there have been reports of pigmentation recurring after discontinuing use of this serum. You have to be consistent with it. I use the following recipes and only use this once a day (because I only wash my face once a day).

Increase potency slowly (like every week or every other week). It will burn, but tough it out and it will be worth it! You can fan your face to help with the burn too. Also, dabbing rather than swiping helps prevent some of the burning. In case anyone is wondering, my skincare regimen is as follows:

*remove makeup
*wash face with ground oatmeal (you can let it sit as a mask for a few minutes before washing it off)
*apply vitamin C serum w/ cotton ball (I only mix mine with room temperature distilled water and nothing else)
*apply homemade whipped shea butter (I love the healing properties of shea butter and even if I accidentally apply too much, my skin soaks it up and won't break out)

I only wash my face at night because doing it twice a day dries it out and causes me to produce more oil (and I'm already really oily as it is). I've saved a lot of time too by just washing at night. In the morning, I rinse my face with water.

This has made my skin look the best it has in years, and it has only been a few days. Good luck!

on 6/4/2013 5:49:00 PM

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

This is instant skincare gratification. Right after using homemade vitamin c serum the first time my skin looked a lot brighter. It's one of the few products I have ever used that's given me immediate results plus long term benefits. I have used DIY c serum for 4 years and it's made my skin smooth and even-toned.

Making vitamin c serum yourself you save money but still have all the benefits of an expensive product. Plus you can assure its fresh and customize it.

I make a vitamin c + e + ferulic acid serum by mixing 1/2 tsp L-ascorbic acid from the Vitamin Shoppe, 2 tsp distilled water, a drop of glycerin, a drop of water-soluable vitamin e (I cut into a capsule and squeeze some liquid out) and a pinch of ferulic acid. I combine it all in a small opaque container and shake to dissolve. Then I shake before using it.

on 5/29/2013 2:29:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I was looking for an alternative to the Obagi line, which I LOVE but is pricey. I went to Whole Foods and got some some glycerin and some L-Absorbic Acid (Vit C) and hyaluronic acid, both in caplet form. I followed the basic recipe for a strong serum, opening the caplets to get to the powder inside and mixing with glycerin and hot water to dissolve the powder. I had been without the Obagi C serum for a couple of weeks and had a little break out, which did not go away when I started my homemade serum. In fact, I would say it got worse. Now, whether it's b/c I had been without for so long or b/c of the homemade stuff, I don't know. But I suspect it was the glycerin. So I made a new batch yesterday, using just the Acids and water to make a toner spray. We'll see.

Also, my skin has felt VERY oily since I started using this stuff. Again, I think it's the glycerin.

A few things:

I read that heat is bad for the Vit C. I used heat both times to dissolve the caplets, so my Vit C may be not good. Instead of heat, someone suggested grinding the caplets to make them dissolve better. I'm going to toss both batches tonight (by "toss" I mean "use as a foot scrub") and make a new toner - without heat or glycerin. If this new batch of homemade stuff doesn't work, I'll just take the caplets orally, use the glycerin for my tea, and buy the serum from Amazon

Popular Treatments (Face)