NARS Velvet Matte Lip Pencil in Cruella

4.4

c12 13 Alkyl Ethylhexanoate, Candelilla Cera (Euphorbia Cerifera Wax), Polyethylene, Cyclomethicone, Phenyltrimethicone, Silica, Dimethicone, Sucrose Acetate Isobutyate, Hydrogenated Coco Glycerides, Di Calcium Phosphate, Quaternium 18 Hectorite, Propylene Carbonate, Propylparaben, Methylparaben, Aroma (Flavor), Lecithin, Tocopherol, Ascorbyl Palmitate, Citric Acid, May Contain ( /-): Mica, Iron Oxides (CI 77491, 77492, 77499), Yellow 6 Lake (CI 15985), Blue 1 Lake (CI 42090), Manganese Violet (CI 77742), Yellow 5 Lake (CI 19140), Red 30 (CI 73360), Yellow 10 Lake (CI 47005), Red 6, Red 7 Lake (CI 15850), Red 28 Lake (CI 45410), Red 22 Lake (CI 45380), Carmine (CI 75470), Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), Bismuth Oxychloride (CI 77163)

on 10/27/2008 4:42:00 AM

I was looking for a flattering red lipstick that wasn't too washed out. This is definitely red and will stand out, but it's a gorgeous color and gets me lots of compliments! The pencil is really easy to apply and you don't really need a lipliner for it - bleeding is very minimal, but it does happen after a while, so I use a clear lipliner outside my lips if I'm going to be out for a long time. I put a gloss on top of it because the matte color feels dry, but I think it feels lighter than regular lipsticks and it definitely lasts for a while, even while I'm drinking - I usually just have to freshen the very middle of my lips every so often. (I don't apply the gloss all the way to the edges, which I think helps it stay.) Red takes a lot more careful maintenance than other colors, but I think this product is easier to use than most.

on 3/30/2008 11:45:00 AM

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Other

Cruella is the true classic red I associate with the glamorous Hollywood lips from the 1940ís. The color has an cool undertone and isnít too bright, if you apply multiple layers the color darkens and the cool tones become minimized, which is perfect for me since cool colors tend to clash with my warm colored complexion. The texture of the liner is soft, which makes application smooth and easy. Unfortunately the liner smudges very easily, the staying power is not that great and it wears off unevenly. It lasts through a beverage but it left a hideous ring around my lips after a meal. It also made my lips very dry. I love the color but hate everything else. For reference I have medium warm NC30 skin, brown hair and eyes.

on 2/25/2008 3:47:00 PM

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

This is my first velvet matte pencil from Nars. I was a bit worried at first when I purchased this sight unseen from eBay but it arrived today and I'm in love. Doesn't have the gross smell that Nars lipsticks have (or perhaps the one I had went bad on me, not sure), isn't drying, and the color is fantastic - the perfect shade of red! Cruella has some blue tones in it so my teeth don't look as white as they do against other red lip colors, but the portability and formula of this pencil makes up for it. I haven't had any problems with the cap falling off of my pencil, and I moisturize my lips excessively so I didn't find this drying at all. Actually, I found it quite creamy, soft, and immensely pigmented. I purchased mine on eBay for below retail cost, but if I absolutely had to, I'd pay full price for this. For reference, I am NC30/golden undertones, BE 2.0 light and I have pigmented lips.

on 8/24/2007 5:24:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Other, Medium

Okay, so I finally bought a red lipstick and the girl at Sephora said this color was pretty flattering to almost every skintone. I was fairly hesitant because the price is high but I went ahead with it anyways and took a chance. This was my first red lipstick so it took a little getting used to, but the color is marvelous and very pretty. It is pretty drying. I always seem to have some bleeding issues along the bottom lip, but it's usually after a few hours. I tend to line with the pencil and fill out my lips with a brush. It stays on there really well, but applying a gloss just ruins it. Eating with it is also crazy. I wish this color came in a more creamy form.

Just bought this lip pencil today...it is a lovely red and seems to last long. it is a little drying but how else is it supposed to stay on your lips. i think it is a good staple. it looks nice on my skin tone (naomi campbell type) but it is a little bright...but red is bright.

Hair: Brunette, Other, Fine

Well, I love the colour of this. It is a deep, cool toned red (crimson)....darker and deeper than an old favorite, MAC's Russian Red. I am a cool toned ppp. This is matte & slightly drying. I have had no problems with colour bleeding, but if you eat anything that is even remotely greasy (or add lipbalm) it will wear off...otherwise the lasting power is quite good! I think I do not love the big fat pencil format...too much waste when you sharpen for my liking - it does make lining the lips easier when freshly sharpened though. The lid wants to come off when it shouldn't. This was $30+tax CAD at Holt Renfrew. I will not repurchase as I have found better elsewhere.

i'm an nc35, asian and this lipliner/lipstick works well for me from day to night. the matte effect is perfect as it won't bleed nor stain the teeth. works well with my chanel blush orchid rose for an understated elegance

on 8/15/2006 7:55:00 PM

They didn't have Transeurope Express available and so I bought this cause of the color is truly a scarlet red. This is truly drying to the lips, but it is a true matte. Love this color for my NC42 skin. I find I can change the hint of the red when I put a certain color gloss first and then top it with Cruella. It also helps from my lips from drying and it looks more creamy that way. I also love putting this on top of MAC's CCB. Would not repurchase cause I can just buy a red lipstick that doesn't need so much work and is creamier than this.

on 8/7/2006 10:58:00 AM

I ADORE this. I've struggled to find the exact perfect red for me, and this is it. I love a matte red with depth that is neither too pinky-blue nor too orangey-brick, and this fits the bill. I'll definitely buy it again and again until they (god forbid) quit making it.

on 5/2/2006 3:21:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Tan, Not Sure

True and beautiful red. I am a GGG - with fairly light skin and gold undertones. Red always disappoints me (or rather most reds) but this was marvelous. Fabulous pigment (Nars is famous for its staying power) and long lasting. fab lippie!

Video Reviews & Tutorials