LUSH Caca Rouge Henna

3.6

Red Henna (Lawsonia inermis), Fair Trade Cocoa Butter (Theobroma cacao), Fresh Lemon Juice (Citrus limonum), Powdered Rosemary (Rosmarinus officinalis), Clove Bud Oil (Eugenia caryophyllus), *Citral, *Eugenol, *Geraniol, *Citronellol, *Limonene, *Linalool, Perfume.

on 1/20/2011 4:17:00 AM

Hair: Black, Straight, Other

I wanted to dye my hair for a long time but I was always very afraid of chemical hair dyes. Henna seemed like a good option but unfortunately it didn't work on me. Black hair is so difficult to dye! I guess if I want any colour I will have to resort to chemical hair dyes.

This product did give a very slight tint to my hair but you would only be able to tell in bright lighting. The cocoa butter made my hair softer so that was an added bonus. But the worst part of using henna, in my opinion, is having to clean the washroom and bathtub after rinsing it off. It will splash and stain everything. Almost gave me a backache!

on 9/24/2010 3:39:00 PM

I have not used the LUSH Henna. But this is just a general suggestion for people who love using Henna. I was born in India and my mom always used henna to color her hair. Actually, the chemical hair coloring started in India only a few years ago, and still color is something which only like 30% of the people use I believe. And in my teenage, I started using it as well because it conditioned my hair and made it shiny. I still use it on my hair , and I always get great results. So, my suggestion is that if there are any Indian grocery stores near your place, you can get like really cheap henna from there. It is probably 3 or 4 bucks. Or if you have an East Indian friend, you can ask them to get you henna from India. It is only like 2, 3 bucks over there. The way my mom and me made the henna paste was- take an iron pot, boil tea and use that water to mix henna, add an egg, 1 or 2 spoons of coconut or olive oil or any other kind of oil, aamla powder, and sometimes few drops of lemon juice and yougurt as well. We made at night and used to apply it in the morning and leave it for atleast 4 hrs. It is definitely messy to wash, but it is a natural 3 in 1 treatment for hair- coloring, deep conditioning, shine, softness without any chemicals.

on 9/23/2010 10:49:00 PM

I used to be one of those people who was constantly dying my hair. I decided to try LUSH's Henna product, and ever since I have fallen in love with how it has enhanced my natural hair color.
A word of warning, be prepared to spend the whole day on this project. Which can be fun, but if you're expecting it to take an hour or two you'll be in for a surprise :)
I had to wash my hair 2-3 times for all the product to come out, but it is STILL a lovely color and it's been several months.

on 8/31/2010 3:42:00 AM

I have been dying my own hair various colors for almost twenty years, and thought henna was just for hippie-dippies who wanted to smell like patchouli all day.

Wrong.

I had recently bleached my hair yet again from jet black to red and had (yet again) sustained all sorts of damage from it. I had to cut off a bit due to the bleaching damage, but I liked having red hair again, so didn't mind.

I don't know what made me try Les Caca, but the lush flier intrigued me, and I researched hennas for a few weeks before deciding to take the plunge.

I'll be honest. I didn't do a strand test, but it turned out beautifully anyhow.

I have just past shoulder length hair, super damaged, and a LOT of hair so I just used the whole damn six-block brick and I'm glad I did. I followed the instructions, and found it melted easily enough that I could just sort of scrape it apart with a sturdy plastic knife under the boiling water.

The smell was actually really nice. I had mixed up some straight up powdered henna and lemon juice as an experiment the weekend prior and WOW. Anyone who complains about the smell of lush henna should take a whiff of THAT. Lush henna smelled comparatively gorgeous and spicy.

I wanted firey red on top of my chemically-processed-to-hell-and-back faded red, so I wrapped the HECK out of the mud when it was on my head and even tried heating it under the plastic with the hair dryer.

I melted the plastic a little, but my hair was so mudded that it was all good anyway.

Oh well, I did a little patch job, and I was on my way. I actually put a heating pad on the saran wrap and then wrapped a towel over that and sat that way for three and a half hours.

My neck was sore, my head was hot ... but I was sure it would be worth it, and boy was it ever.

I have never had such a gorgeous red, and the damage is GONE. This red (right now, two hours after rinsing) is sort of a glowing, smoldering strawberry blonde red and it looks incredibly natural.

Is this messy? Yes. Is this fun? Oh hell, yes. I felt like a kid squishing fragrant mud into my hair. Did my husband laugh at my giant saran wrap plus heating pad plus giant towel get up? Absolutely! I had a cord coming out from my forehead plugged into the wall! But I am hooked, I've been dying my hair for a very long time and the luminous glow I have right now with no damage to try and cover up with hair styling products later on is worth it.

Call me hippy-dippy all you want, I've got amazing hair now. Thank you Caca Rouge.

on 4/11/2010 11:36:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

I regularly use henna to cover my grey hair and decided to try this product because I liked the added convenience this product offered, being available at the mall as opposed to having to wait for body art quality Moroccan henna by mail order. In all I found it to be not a bad product, sort of a mixed bag.

Pros: I love the texture and smell of this henna mixture. It disolves into a smoother paste and is already pre-mixed with cocoa butter and other oils to give it a pleasant earthy smell and condition your hair.

Cons: This was somewhat expensive $23 approx for a brick. I also found it tough to dissolve evenly in the water. It did color when left on the same time as I usually leave the baq henna, but it produces a light red as opposed to a rich burgundy like the Moroccan does.

Overall this product is something I would buy again but probably only for the same reason I bought it this time; it's a great stopgap if you happen to run out of baq.

Hair: Brunette, Kinky, Medium

Messy and greasy and smelly and just eww. And for a real difference to hair colour or condition you have to leave it for hours or overnight- not worth the hassle. I can still remember the greasy drips running down my face from under the clingfilm...*shudders*

on 5/18/2009 8:46:00 PM

OMG I LOVE THIS HENNA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I am a product junkie and have always spent alot of $$$$$ on my hair care I came across the LUSH website one day and I have NEVER looked back. I love all of their products but especially the HENNA my hair has never looked so good, a beautifull coppery/red. My mix is : 2 squares Henna, 2TBSP Paprika, 2 TBSP Applecider Vinegar, and I use Red Zinger Tea instead of water.( I have shoulder lenghth hair)I wrap it tight with sarran wrap and put a swim cap over that to keep it snug and warm the only thing I could do without is the amount of time I have to leave it on.
I leave it on for 6hrs and every hour In blast it with some heat and then just rinse, rinse,rinse condition,shampoo,and condition again and im done, and YES its worth the hassel!!!!

on 3/30/2009 9:58:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

I used this for the first time about 2 weeks ago. I was very nervous about trying it and read every single review beforehand. I naturally have strawberry blonde hair that absorbs color easily. My usual experience with red hair color, even tints, is my hair taking on a shade reminiscent of Ronald McDonald's. I was annoyed to learn that it would take so long for the color to develop, but I was pretty sick on this particular day, thought I could quickly get it in my hair, wrap it up and lie down for a while. I broke off three cubes, sliced them into little bits and poured boiled water over them until I achieved a slightly runny, muddy texture that felt like it contained bits of sand (yuck). I made my mixture a little thinner in consistency than most people have mentioned so it would be easier to apply. I let the mixture sit for a while, then applied to dry hair. It took FOREVER to coat my slightly-past-my-shoulder length hair, but that wasn't the annoying part. No matter how carefully I tried to apply, little bits of it went EVERYWHERE. When I finally had my entire head covered, I had the task of cleaning my entire bathroom. It was so disgusting, tiny little bits of dry henna everywhere that would practically explode when I wiped them up. It took longer cleaning my bathroom than it did applying the product. Also, I just have to mention something else. This is totally my fault, but since everyone mentioned that it took around 3-6 hours for the color develop, I didn't even think about wearing gloves. BIG mistake! My hands were orange for days!!!

Aside from the horror of the application process, the color turned out nicely. It's much darker and brighter than I'd anticipated. It was actually the exact shade of a penny, a rich, rusty-orangey red. Some people mentioned that the full color developed over a few days, but mine was the exact opposite. It was intense at first, but it seems to fade a little every time I wash it. I can't see it lasting several months as some have mentioned. All in all, I do actually like how henna looks in my hair. It's much more natural looking than conventional hair dye and I will absolutely use it again....just not by this brand.

Click on "Continued" below to see a Before & After photo!

Here's an older pic of me to show my natural hair color:

And here's the color after I used the henna (I also had my hair cut recently):

UPDATE 4/10/09 I can't believe how many compliments I've received on my hair!! Perfect strangers stop me in the mall and comment on it. I'm definitely a convert to henna!! =)
continued >>

on 11/9/2008 2:24:00 AM

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

I really love my henna. The colour suits my complexion and when I mix it with a little black henna it makes a fabulous shiny tint to a mane of lush hair!
Seriously, if you are after something that brings out your natural highlights (I have light strawberry/sandy blonde/brown hair naturally, so not overly exciting) and gives fantastic shine and a lovely scent for days, go for this product. Also it isn't a chemical dye which is an added bonus I think. It also doesn't whitewash your hair into a uniform color which some other dyes do: it brings out the natural highlights and low lights.
I'm not sure about the packaging or lack of it: I have mixed feelings about this. On one hand, I like the way it's solid and easy to store. I break pieces off as I need for touch ups every so often, so a block of 6 can last me several months. On the other hand, I don't like the fact that you have to grate it or let it sit for about an hour to get it to dissolve out of its solid form:-| But I've tried other hennas and I love this one because of the scent it leaves and the color seems to last longer....maybe it is letting it sit for so long and then leaving it in my hair for an hour or more. This stuff is an integral part of who I am: I've been a redhead for over a decade now and won't be turning anytime soon (see my profile pic to believe it).

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

This product smells yummy and conditions beautifully, hence the high rating.

However, it's a pain to grind into a fine powder, considering that most hennas in Arab/Indian/Pakistani/etc. stores are already powdered. All you need to do with the typical henna product is add hot water and some lemon. With Lush Hair Caca, it took about an hour to grind 1 and a half cubes into powder.

I left the henna in my hair overnight, for 6 hours.

The conditioning effects last for ages--I used this product LAST YEAR, and recently noticed that the hair was getting dry--so I used it last week...and it's back to being soft, shiny & glorious!

If you have dark brown hair like me, you will not experience a noticeable difference in hair colour. There IS a red tint when I go out in the sun, but that's about it. This product has actually darkened my hair to a deeper, richer brown.

According to my mother (an expert in the world of henna), with frequent applications (i.e. hours spent grinding the cubes), my hair will gradually turn that nice reddish colour I absolutely covet.

I, however, am not that patient.

Popular Hair Products