November 27, 2014 | 1251 users online

Lipstick - New York Color - 309B Sheer Red

• Price: $

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/24/2010 1:33:00 AM More reviews by Hannahbby2

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

This red is absolutely gorgeous. While searching for a nice red to wear this holiday season, I picked up two of the NYC 99 cent lipsticks, one in Retro Red and Sheer Red. I tried Retro Red first, thinking it would better suit my warm skintone since it's more of an orange red, but it looked way too bright and clownish. I wiped it off and tried on Sheer Red, and I immediately fell in love. It's a darker red with more of a berry tone. It's definitely a cooler red, while Retro Red is straight up ORANGE on me. :/ I usually pair this with Rimmel's lip liner in Ravish since it's pretty sheer on it's own, and the color is to die for. It looks awesome with some winged liner and falsies. You can't go wrong with this, and for 99 cents, what have you got to loose?

Can't wait to wear this tonight! (Christmas Eve)
Happy Holidays!

rated 5 of 5 on 12/18/2010 4:25:00 AM More reviews by Chianti

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Great product! On my lips it's a lovely berryish-brickish red. I know that sounds weird but it's a perfect combination of both colors! I I bought this based on a recommendation on http://www.beautylish.com/t/vmvzs/the-perfect-red-lipstick. Check out this website if you're on a hunt of the perfect red lipstick (they have pictures). But of course I check the reviews here to make sure it's a good buy! And lo and behold this lipstick has the same great review so I bought it and loving it! For reference I'm NC 30, NARS Budapest, Asian light-medium w/ yellow undertones. Try this before trying other reds. Packaging is nothing much to look at but what do you expect for a 0.99 cents lipstick? LOL!

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 11/14/2010 12:44:00 AM More reviews by gorbe

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Olive, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I got this on a whim since I wanted to get a red lipstick (I have none), it was less than a dollar, and I thought it'd be a good one to start says i figured it'd be sheer (due to being called "sheer red"). Well, it's definitely not sheer, it's very pigmented. Maybe they meant "sheer" as in "unmixed with anything else" not "sheer" as in "transparently thin". Well, apparently yes, they did. The red isn't really anything special, it's not a blue undertoned red.. didn't really look orangey either.. can't really describe the color.. it's just plain red. The finish was matte on me, which I liked. You could do worse for a buck, and this might work for some, but I don't see myself using this. Would not repurchase.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/18/2010 3:46:00 AM More reviews by walkfashionbaby

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

This shade of red works really well with my skin tone so I love it. You can build it up to make it really dark or you can just put it on lightly. It doesn't dry out my lips at all. It doesn't have amazing lasting power but I don't mind reapplying it. It's extremely cheap. The packaging isn't amazing but you can't expect much for the price. Anyway, I don't really care about the packaging so it doesn't bother me.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/29/2010 9:24:00 PM More reviews by eq2008

I gave this product 4 lippie because of the cherry scent. I thought I could tolerate this but I just couldn't. Great shade, very moisturizing but the scent is just too much for me. I wish they would change it someday. The staying power is not there but since this is red (very wearable) it stains the lips for a longer period of time as opposed to the nude shades. Oh and the lipstick doesn't twist all the way down so it's a pain to put the cap on without touching the lipstick.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/31/2010 1:58:00 AM More reviews by Mlssstaun

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

This was recommended to me as a substitute for the late, great Bobbi Brown Ruby Sheer/Stain and I have to say it mostly delivers. First off, the color is GORGEOUS! It looks like a dark burgandy/cranberry in the tube but comes off as a beautiful brick red. The formula is not sheer though - at least not on my dry lips - it's more matte. But as others have noted, it does have some staying power. For those of you who try these budget buys to substitute for our high end favourites, give this one a go. For 99 cents, this is definitely a beauty bargain and, if you hate it, you won't be mad at yourself for spending a fortune.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/10/2010 9:15:00 PM More reviews by carinnemj

As far as dirt-cheap thrills go, this is one of the best. I'm usually drawn to pink or nude lip colors, so this deep red is a bit of a departure for me. But for 99 cents, I figured I had nothing to lose, and I'm so glad I took that stylistic chance. My favorite way to wear it is to apply a little lip balm first and then push the color onto my lips, rather than swiping it on. It gives a pretty raspberry stain that lasts through the second round of cocktails.

If you're having trouble finding it, I got mine at Target and the success I've had with this color is going to bring me back for more.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/3/2010 7:19:00 PM More reviews by karmabum

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

Nice dark red color that is not too scary. It does wear of rather quickly on my lips and left me with a pink stain but good for the price. It is more of a true red that Lipstick Queen medeival treatment which is more pinky red than red. This is much easier to pull off than Russian Red or the like.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/3/2010 5:45:00 PM More reviews by adrota

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Black

I bought this after I read about it here. Its probably the only red l/s I bought after a long time of staying away from reds because I thought reds were just too loud a color for me but this color is very wearable, suits all skin types, is creamy, can be just patted on to look like a stain or applied full on so I'd say its a buildable color. Its also cheap & easily available. However the packaging is not good. The bullet look is cute but the l/s does not go all the way down & the product may get damaged if one is not careful while closing the cap. Also if carrying it should the cap come off say in your purse well then you are going to end up with a big mess. I'd say its staying power is not good but thats okay for 99c l/s. May be drying for some people. I am not sue since my own lips are always very dry so most l/s need to be worn over a good lip balm & topped off with a moisturizing gloss. What I'd be happier with is at least for nyc to improve their packaging. Overall I would recommend this l/s.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/3/2010 12:29:00 PM More reviews by labellemarianne

What a great, cheap find! Totally wearable and smooth. Nothing's super long lasting on me because I don't usually wear lipliner and I drink H2O all the time so it wears off pretty quick. My favorite thing to do lately is layer this under a medium pink sheer lip gloss (mine is a cheapie from the American Eagle makeup line) and create a raspberry look almost exactly like my MAC love, Viva Glam Cyndi.