Milk of Magnesia as Primer

3.9

Price: $

Price: $

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

After reading reviews on here about using MOM as a mattifying foundation primer, I decided to give it a shot. I use the wal-mart knock-off of Phillip's Milk of Magnesia, and it works fine. I apply a thin layer onto a freshly cleansed face with a make-up sponge, let it dry, then apply a very tiny amount more to my t-zone. I then apply my liquid foundation. I found that I can't use this stuff with my thicker, creamier "liquid" mineral foundation because that stuff in itself mattifies my skin (but not like MOM), and using this with anything but actual liquid foundation makes my skin look dry. However, when I use it with my liquid foundation, it does a nice job of keeping my skin from getting oily; it even seemed to help keep my make-up from being sweated off during a night of dancing at a club. I will say that it doesn't make me look "poreless", but it did a nice job of keeping my make-up from sinking into my pores (like it usually does after a while) so I looked normal. I've only used it a few times, as I don't wear full make-up often, but each time it has done an excellent job of keeping my make-up looking fresh. The only thing I didn't like about using MOM as a primer was that it made my face look paler than normal with foundation on. So to fix this problem for next time, I used a darker shade of foundation and it was perfectly fine! I will continue to use this as long as i have oily skin (which I don't foresee that changing). I would have given it an average rating, but it's so inexpensive for good quality so I bumped it up one lipstick!

Skin: Sensitive, Other, Warm

Wowzerz! Can you say MATTE!? I love this stuff! It keeps the oilies away! Why spend a ridic amt of money when you can get this for a couple dollars doing the same thing? My foundation application is flawless with this product, I can't rave enough! HG stat!

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure

When I 1st used this stuff on my face, I worked with it to see how I was going to get this stuff to not show milky residue thru my makeup, and I found my perfect application: I use a cotton pad and blot MOM on face, all over my T-Zone and other oily areas. I let it dry completely and then I take a powder puff and buff out the chalky residue. Then put on a primer to make sure that the MOM doesn't make my make up look dried out and cakey. Then I put on my foundation and concealer, finish with a setting powder, and go. I hope this was helpful those who can't figure out how to make it work for them!!

Milk of magnesia has done wonders to my skin! Also known as Magnesium Hydroxide, this is usually used as an antacid which neutralizes stomach acidity. It can also be used for constipation, diarrhea, and an underarm deordorant. I've been testing it out for 2 weeks and there is a significant difference from when i do have it on and when i don't. My very oily acne-prone skin even with a setting powder is slick usually by the next hour mark but with this my skin is less oily and by the end of the day, there is very minimal shine if any. I now only have to blot once a day versus my usual 3. I've heard that people use milk of magnesia for their acne too. You put it on your skin for 10-15 minutes then wash away and voila! Your skin is oil free and treated. Some people may be wary of the white streaks it can give but with some blending and rubbing, it disappears. With the price tag of 6 dollars, i'd say atleast give it a try. it won't break the bank and you might just like it.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

This didn't do anything to my oily skin.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Straight, Coarse

After reading the reviews on here, I was initially applying this with a cotton pad to my t-zone after moisturizing. It did a good job of stopping shine, but only if applied quite heavily, which a) wasn't all that comfortable, b) took ages to dry and c) made my foundation hard to blend. BUT recently I had a bit of an epiphany and decided to mix it with my moisturizer instead, and it's fantastic. I have it in a little spray bottle, and mix one spritz with slightly less moisturizer than I would usually use (mine's Olay Complete Care UV fluid) by putting them in my palm and rubbing my hands together. It doesn't feel any different to moisturizing regularly and my foundation blends just as well, but I don't get oily for hours and hours. With this, I find I only have to re-apply powder once towards the end of the day, whereas normally I'd be re-applying 4 or 5 times throughout the day. It's a godsend - cheap, easy and effective.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hello, I just wanted to thank whoever gave old Milk of Magnesia a recent bump or review. I forgot about that old suggestion for a good mattifier, but I do remember reading it here many years ago. So I am trying it out again, and WOW. I usually have very shiny forehead already by morning. It's afternoon now and I think I've only done one powder touch up earlier this morning? Really really amaaazzziiiing! I'm happy to have found that life-saving tip here on the MUA :)

I'll come back and edit my review if it makes me break out, but I'm over 40, so I doubt that will happen.

Skin: Combination, Dark, Not Sure

Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine

I apply this with my finger to my t zone & sometimes to my eyelids. It is a great oil control product. It can be used by itself or under makeup. Make sure you check back in the mirror after it dries because it does leave streaky white residue. Just put a dab of water on your finger and blend it out.

Skin: Oily, Dark, Neutral

Hair: Black, Curly, Medium

I have been using this product for over a week everyday and I think I love it. I have very oily and sensitive skin and primers usually break me out. I think this product works just as good if not better than our typical name brand primer, and because it is meant to be injested it is super safe on your skin. I have not had one break out with this, and I have even fallen asleep on more than one occasion with makeup on my skin, I think I am less likely to breakout because my pores are smaller and more closed with this on my skin.

I usually wear makeup everyday, and if I do not make makeup on I wear shea butter alone so I can never imagine wearing just this to "calm down" my skin, I am so an NC45/50 so I think this may make me a little ashy when used for that purpose but it will work beautifully for lighter skins. Also, I am pretty adament about using shea butter as a night time cream however, I think this would also be amazing as a night time treatment to keep the oilies at bay in the morning.

When I use it, I usually do my normal morning face routine in the shower, apply a moisturizer...let it sit for a few minutes...then apply this with a stippling brush all over my face...the application is easy because i put this is a much smaller bottle, the remainder I put in the refridgerator because MoM will keep FOREVER if refridgerated. After it is all soaked in to my skin (however long it takes me to brush my teeth) I apply my foundation (either MAC F&B, or MAC Select Moisture Tint), bronzer, mascara, or whatever else I decide to wear that day. My skin stays matte and/or fresh (almost dewy but not quite there) ALL DAY! I only apply makeup once a day, maybe twice if I plan on going out after work...so I will use a napkin to blot off the oilies...usually by the time I get home (especially on a warm day) by foundation looks like it has been on ALLL day...with this...it looks freshly applied, my pores are still invisable. I think this product makes my makeup last longer because my skin is more balanced...makeup usually only comes off if it is rubbed off, sweated off, washed off, or "oiled" off...so with this product my makeup is able to last much much longer.

again, I have sensitive skin, and i have not found that this breaks me out or upsets my skin in anyway...however, based on looking at other peoples reviews who state that it does dry their skin out...i make sure that i wash this off my face every night (well almost every night), and exfoliate a few times a week in the shower, always use a moisturizer, and use shea butter whenever i do not have makeup on my skin.

I think I will be using this the rest of my life...I am throwing all of my other mattifying products away...they never work and they cost wayyyy too much money. let me know if you have any questions!!!!

UPDATE: I still love it...I basically use it everyday. Yes, I do think its a good idea to exolofate more often because this does completely close up pores....but other than that...I truly love it...I think its an amazing product and I will use again again and again. I went into Sephora yesterday and this woman who worked there asked my why my skin looked so amazing and asked me what primer I used, and when I told her she was shocked...bc she used smashbox, and YSL or something like that and she said she STILL got oily.....this is def my HG and if you have extremely oily skin, this could truly save your life...my ONLY complaint...is that you need to make sure you add a SUPER SUPER light layer if you plan on taking pics bc it can give you the "SPF face" even though there is no SPF in this.

Ohhhhh milk of magnesia... where to start. First off, don't use this everyday. You hear a lot of times that this stuff is used on brides for their wedding day as a neat trick to keep their makeup on all day and keep them shine free. But a wedding day only happens once (usually). I tried using this stuff as a primer for a week, and my facial skin was so upset and shiny (yes... shiny) and dull (my skin almost looked greyish) and messed up that I put it under my cabinet and haven't used it since. It soaks up oil and keeps you looking matte fresh all day, but only if used sparingly, like say once a week. The alkaline ph balance will very much disrupt your skin if used too often. However the price is great, the packaging is huge and will last forever, but this product should not be used as an everyday primer.

Popular Primer/ Correctors