September 16, 2014 | 1811 users online

Cleansers - Oil Cleansing Method (OCM)

• Price: $

rated 1 of 5 on 8/5/2013 7:19:00 PM More reviews by Glitterz484

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I have very sensitive, acne-prone skin. OCM includes cleansing with a mixture of oils, then steaming them off with hot water from a washcloth a few times, and wiping your face with the washcloth. Oils combined with hot water...what was I thinking?! This is the worst possible combination for sensitive skin prone to breakouts. Not to mention the washcloth causes further irritation on top of that. This has resulted in breakouts all over my face, even in the areas where I hardly ever get a pimple. And I'm not talking zits, I'm talking patches of breakouts. Please please PLEASE don't do OCM if you have my skin type. I've heard it works well for some people, but a lot of people also have bad results. And when the results are bad, they're horrific in this situation. It's not worth it.

rated 3 of 5 on 7/30/2013 6:31:00 AM More reviews by ayiluy1989

I have overall oily skin which is acne prone. The last time I can remember having pimple free skin is back in my teens or every time I go somewhere sunny for my hols (the sun always clears it but within a couple of weeks being back in the UK, it slowly deteriorates. I lead a very healthy lifestyle. Don't drink or smoke e.t.c. I exercise 4 times a week, drink 3+ lts of water a day but this doesn't seem to be enough to give me the desired clear skin. I tried this method for the first time last night after having tried pretty much everything under the sun. I used 3 tsp cold pressed, pure Castor oil and 1 tsp Evoo. What I did first was remove my make up with the Jane Iredale mit, which is just a microfiber cloth which removes all make up traces with water alone. I died my skin and massaged the oil mixture over my face for about 2 minutes. I did the hot towel thing about 3 times and then again massage my skin. I then began to remove the oil with my cloth until I felt that it was gone and saw no more make up traces on my cloth. Then I used an ice cube and massaged it over my face until it melted (read about the benefits of this old trick). To damp skin I applied the Clarins Lotus facial oil and patted this in and that's it. I also use high strength Vitamin E oil (H&B) for my eyelids, eyelashes & lips. I made sure to rinse and clean my cloth and hung it to air dry ready for the following evening.
In the morning my skin was calm, one pimple which I saw was there came to the surface, which was easily removed with just washing my face with black mud soap (great inexpensive, pure product from Boots) and then moisturised with the Murad acne control moisturiser. I have high hopes for this and will report back in a month or so.
I guess the main thing is to thoroughly remove the oil, thoroughly clean the wash cloths and use high grade products. Everyone is different and this will not suite everyone but I really hope it works.

rated 1 of 5 on 7/29/2013 5:49:00 PM More reviews by gizmondo

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Having suffered with bouts of acne for the past 20 years, I am always on the look out for something which may prove to be the miracle cure.

I was hopeful of OCM as I had read so much about it, but I'm afraid it didn't work for me at all.

About a week into following OCM my skin started breaking out, I read this happened and it was recommended to carry on, which I did but to no avail. My skin just kept getting worse, so after a month.

Slowly my skin is calming down and clearing up.

I did experience some clogged pores being becoming unblocked when doing OCM, but I think this is more to the massaging effect and this was backed up the beauty therapist I visited when I recently went for a facial. Who said that often we don't massage our skin enough when cleansing and its especially important to massage along the jaw line towards the ears as this is where the lymph nodes lie

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 7/22/2013 1:29:00 PM More reviews by Endit

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Other, Medium Eyes: Brown

I tried oil cleansing as a pre-cleanse for sunscreen. I used mineral oil, since it's so highly regarded on the skincare board and I wanted to try it myself. The kind I have is called Butcher's Block, it's a food grade quality product and only contains mineral oil and vitamin E. I didn't use an emulsifier because I read you do not need to use one (just make sure your face is really wet and to cleanse the residue off enough). I've done this maybe 3 times before writing this.

PROS: Nothing.

CONS: PITA from start to finish. The idea is simple, that the cleanser will remove the oil. Here's the problem though: IT DOESN'T. I always had a thick layer of mineral oil behind. It was beyond noticeable (in feeling) and my skin never felt clean. I have to do a second wash to get it completely off. What a waste of cleanser and time! I also didn't see or feel any kind of purging or blackhead removal, etc.

OVERALL: Doing this with an oil that doesn't have an emulsifier is pointless. It's way too much work to remove. Maybe one day in the future I'll add an emulsifier or try different oils and experiment, but ATM I have this huge bottle of mineral oil collecting dust.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/15/2013 8:37:00 PM More reviews by idmanm

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Sensitive, Medium Brown, Warm Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I've tried this method with just olive oil for a few months. In the morning I would rinse my face with water, and the olive oil, then rinse it off. I have acne prone skin and dry skin. Surprisingly it didn't break me out (which I thought it would), but it created this weird looking patch on my right cheek. I stopped doing this method after that, but I might start doing it again just not that often ( I was doing it everyday). I'll only do it at night, because it takes a long time to sink in at the am and I looked like I was about to deep fry my face.

rated 1 of 5 on 7/13/2013 1:13:00 AM More reviews by cboylove

Every cleansing oil I've used has broken me out! Even olive oil and grapeseed oils break me out. I should have known. My acne is caused by my excess oil so adding more oil just breaks be out even more. My poor pores were spewing sebum like crazy! Never again.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/11/2013 10:44:00 PM More reviews by JBaby23

I have used every skin care product out there for acne prone - combination skin. OCM has done wonders for me! Everyone is different so you just gotta be patient & find the oil that's best for you. I've been using OCM for three months now. For me I cleanse with EVOO & a rag, do a facial (organic honey or coffee grounds & honey) then hydrate with organic coconut oil. I do this twice a day, everyday. I used to have scaring, frequent breakouts, blemishes, etc but now I have almost flawless skin! With the exception of a few hormonal pimples here and there. I suggest that anyone who would like to try it actually give it time to work. Just like when you buy a face wash from a store you don't have over night results, I believe it takes about three weeks to see amazing things. If you break out at first, don't freak - your body is just pushing all the crap out. Good luck to everyone!

rated 5 of 5 on 7/1/2013 12:56:00 AM More reviews by ErinxKay

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I have weird skin. I have an oily forehead and chin, but dryness between my eyebrows, on my nose, and the skin immediately next to my nose and above my mouth. My cheeks are usually perfect. I get breakouts on my chin near my mouth pretty frequently. I have never had cystic acne, for the record. I gave up cleanser awhile ago because I found it was making my skin horrible. I also am a pale Irish girl with a lot of redness in my skin. I had pretty gone to just rinsing my face with straight water as a method of cleansing it. It was getting better but the dryness on my face made my makeup look HORRIBLE and no moisturizer or exfoliation I tried would take care of it. I first heard of OCM when I was about 16 (25 now) and I thought it sounded too insane to try. My mother used just vegetable oil in her teens. This isn't the way to go, but it worked for her. Her skin was perfect until she was well into adulthood and started using cleansers. I was at my wits end with the dryness, so when I happened upon OCM again about a year ago, I decided to try it. I first tried straight olive oil since that's what I had and I was low on money and eager to start. It helped with the dryness but I had zits immediately after and I wasn't happy with it. When I got money, I went out and purchased cold-pressed castor oil and jojoba oil. I did a 50/50 mix. I wet my face first, put a quarter size amount of my oil mix in my hands and rub them together to warm it up. I them spread it all over my face and rub it in. I don't find I feel any grains or anything that others report. I then wet a washcloth (I bought new washcloths that I only use for OCM on my face) and get it wet with hot water and drape it over my face for probably 30 seconds. I do this two or three times. Then I use the washcloth to lightly wipe away excess oil. When I am done, my face doesn't feel oily but just moisturized. I only do this once a day every few days and it has been AMAZING. I had no purging and the dryness is finally gone. I have no pimples at all which is the first time that's happened since I was probably 13. My face actually does feel cleaner afterwards which I wasn't expecting. I have a lot less redness as well which I didn't even think was possible. My father's whole family has the pale Irish redness going on, so I thought it was genetics I would be unable to escape! I recommend trying different oils and oil blends if this isn't working for you. Be patient. My mother uses straight olive oil now (she's 55 with combination skin and occasional breakouts) and it's working amazingly for her. And if you use cleansers, your skin will need time to adjust to the change. I went through a transition period when I went from cleanser to water, but my skin did even out. I am strictly against cleansers now.

rated 1 of 5 on 6/28/2013 3:52:00 AM More reviews by chinupbuttercups

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I'm a victim of OCM. My experience was so bad that I had to write a review about it. It has been more than 2 months since I last OCM-ed my skin and the current condition of my skin is pretty lousy. My routine was to use olive oil and massage onto my face before washing it again with a face wash.

There were online articles saying that using a facial foam together with OCM will make matters worst and I'm not sure how reliable are these comments. Maybe this works best for normal to dry skin and for those who don't wear make-up on a daily basis.

Anyways... My bad experience could also be attributed from massaging the oil too much into my skin (you know how much gunk comes out with the massage). Initial trials were fabulous - i.e. clear and smooth skin. A few weeks on, my skin started to develop zillions of comedones. Whenever I wash my face, I felt like I'm touching some kind of reptile skin. My skin was bumpy everywhere, especially those areas I was happily massaging during my OCM sessions. Some of these comedones turned into cysts and some were infected. It was horrendous....

In my opinion, OCM is an unproven fad and the price I had to pay was just too much (primarily the sacrifice of my bump-free skin). I ended up going to a dermatologist for treatment. Right now, the comedones are still there and my skin is still bumpy (feels like they are never going away).

No doubt there are many positive and some good "skin-changing" experiences, I think it's best to not follow such hype without reliable professional advice on the how to correctly perform OCM, the kind of oil to use and the implications of using OCM. What works for many doesn't mean it works well for you - just need to remember this.

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/14/2013 12:25:00 PM More reviews by Reemyn

6/14/2013
This method is working great for me so far!
Skin type: I have combination/dry/dehydratated/ skin, prone to congestion in the T-zone.

I tried so many cleansers... You know there are some very gentle cleansers, but they don't remove make up well... And there are the ones leaving your face squeaky clean and also dry, stripped from natural oils... So perfect cleanser doesn't exist.
This is why I was experimenting with this method a few months ago, well, I ended up with totally messed up skin (I used jojoba oil).
Now I'm using unrefined coconut oil, I massage it in for a minute or so, after I wipe it away using a warm wash cloth. Then (here comes my trick) wash my face with extra virgin olive oil soap! This removes the oily (and dirty!) residue, leaving my skin silky. Not sure,this is still the traditional OCM, but I think this is the KEY to avoid breakouts. I'll report back for sure.
Good luck, girls!

I'm back for a quick UPDATE 7/8/2013
Ok I'll be thankful for everyone who wrote a review! This method for me was life changing, and I can't imagine any other way to cleanse my face. Sure it can be a pain in the @ss to always do this whole ritual, not to mention taking with yourself (I travel a lot) oil (hoping that it won't spill and making your whole suitcase oily), wash cloth etc, but well it is worth it! Will be using this forever.
My skin is still not perfect but it did improved a hell of a lot.
Skin texture: smoother, firmer, looks healthy.
My skin does not feel dehydratated anymore. (yay)
Pores are almost invisible. (yay again)
No more blackheads on my nose! (YAYYYYYY)

So my tips:
After I wiped away the coconut oil with a warm wash cloth, I use soap (extra virgin olive oil soap). After the whole cleansing ritual I use rosewater to tone.
I think the key is to 'double-cleanse'. First remove make up & dirt with coconut oil, next remove coconut oil with soap, or any cleanser you prefer. HTH

1/9/2014
WOW
Just here to say that I'm still using this method. No kidding. Oh gawd finally I'm persisent in something when it comes to skincare. I'm pretty sure I'll never use anything else. 'm using sweet almond oil, next I'll try camelia oil. Love 'em. OIL UP Ladies.

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No