August 1, 2014 | 1838 users online

Cleansers - Eve Lom - Cleanser

rated 2 of 5 on 9/5/2012 9:47:00 AM More reviews by anarchotics

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Black

I'm giving this cleanser 2 lippies, even though it works perfectly FINE.

Not 'good', you understand. Fine. It's capable of removing my sunblock, concealer, eyeshadow and eyeliner all at once, which is nice.

It has a balmy consistency, kind of like Egyptian Magic Cream. Once you spread it over your skin, it heats up and 'melts' a little, which is also nice.

This is, in all aspects, a reasonably nice product. However, I do have a bone to pick with it. EIGHTY DOLLARS. THIS COST ME EIGHTY BLOODY DOLLARS. For something that I paid eighty dollars for, I expected it to work much, much better, and to do much, much more.

Eve Lom Cleanser is like the nice girl in school who lends you worksheets to photocopy when you have lost yours. She occasionally shares her fruit that she packs for lunch with you. However, you and her have no chemistry, She is nothing compared to your best friend, Retin-A, who makes you cry, and laugh, and who you fight with, but ultimately love dearly because she has helped you so much.

This cleanser didn't help my skin very much. It was alright, and it made my skin softer, although not amazingly so.

One last thing. Why, WHY, is the first ingredient MINERAL OIL? Don't get me wrong, I LOVE mineral oil for my face. Having incredibly sensitive skin, I need an inert substance to seal in the moisture and prevent me from flaking. However, for the PRICE of this cleanser, the usage of an EXTREMELY CHEAP substance like mineral oil is not justified. If let's say, Neutrogena or Pond's (which I love to death) uses mineral oil in their products, no, I wouldn't complain at all, because it is priced reasonably for the ingredients that it uses.

But, Eve Lom is SO freaking expensive, and at this price I expect the ingredients to be of high quality, like mermaid tears or unicorn semen!

I much prefer Pond's Cold Cream (old formula) to this. Cheap, and works just as well.

26 out of 27 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 8/28/2012 4:13:00 PM More reviews by Prazzie

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

Using this cleanser was like spreading honey-coloured Vaseline all over my face and neck. I didn't find the consistency and texture pleasant, but that wasn't the worst of it. This stuff reeks! It smells oddly herbal-medicinal-dental. The smell was so off-putting to me that I was only able to use it once. Reading the ingredients list, it must be the combination of hops, clove, and eucalyptus oil that bothers me so much.

Despite the smell, I wanted to give it a proper try. I massaged the stuff into my skin and over my eyelids. It says it removes all makeup, so I thought it would be safe. Then you have to soak the muslin cloth in hot water and place it over your face, three times. The heat is supposed to help with the cleansing process. I don't know how, because the muslin cloth is so thin, it doesn't retain heat. By the time it reached my face it had already cooled down considerably. But fine, on to removal.

I folded the cloth into a square and starting rubbing my skin in circular motions to try and get rid of the cleanser. By now, the smell was giving me a headache. I found it quite difficult to remove the cleanser, as it left an oily residue on my skin. Perhaps that's supposed to be there, considering that you're not supposed to tone and moisturise after using it. I just don't like the feeling of a waxy film on my skin, so I tried to remove it all.

Well, after scrubbing my skin with a piece of fabric for what felt like far too long, my face was certainly clean and exfoliated. But I believe I would have gotten the same result by using Vaseline, any other cleanser, or even regular soap. Faster than it took to remove the Eve Lom cleanser. I think using the cloth to remove the cleanser is what leaves skin feeling clean and soft. For me, my skin felt dry and tight from all the scrubbing. The cleanser also stung my eyes, a sensation which lasted long after cleansing. And the scent remained!

I'm sorry to have to say that my experience with this cleanser was less than pleasant. I wish I could have tried it for longer to check for skin reactions or to see whether I too would get the healthy, glowing skin reported by others, but for me, the smell is an insurmountable obstacle. I also dislike the unhygienic jar the cleanser comes in.

**Update**
The day after using this I developed three painful cystic pimples next to my nose. I don't suffer from acne, nor do I have sensitive skin. I hadn't changed anything else in my skincare routine, so I am certain that it was this cleanser that caused it.

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 8/11/2012 6:35:00 AM More reviews by Katie486

As you would have gathered from the other reviews this is a very greasy heavy feeling cleanser that is hideously over priced... however I went against every bit of sensibility I have and purchased it!

I had to see what the hype was about and I can say I am very pleased with the results. This feels a bit like a luxury spa item to use because of the smell but it is quite strong and might not be for everyone. On the upside I have cut about 4 other products out of my night cleansing routine because of this product which has made getting my face clean at night alot quicker (yes... even with the whole muslin cloth process!)

This is quite drying on my skin and despite what Eve lom claims I still need to use a serum and moisturiser at night. But this cleans like nothing I have ever used before! If you are after a really DEEP cleanser this will do it! I found I started to get breakouts after a few days of use and this lasted about a week, not bad breakouts but it seemed to be drawing out alot of impurities and crud which had been just under the surface of the skin for a while. The breakouts lasted about a week.

I have been using this for about 2 months and my skin is so glowing and smooth. It has:
Removed blackheads
unclogged and refined pores
Been very deep cleaning but still gentle
Helped with oil balance on my face

the biggest down side to this is the price!!! but I can't argue with the results and my skin has seriously never looked better. Having said that I am not sure this cleanser would work for everyone? I would recommend getting a sample if possible first! ( I got a sample from Mecca in Australia) I personally love this product and if you are serious about your skin I would at least recommend you give it a try.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/31/2012 5:31:00 PM More reviews by jillbeannw

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I was excited to try this cleanser since its hard to get your hands on in the NW. I used it with the special muslin cloth specifically designed to enhance this cleanser's effectiveness. Usually after cleansing my face, my skin feels tight and dry--in need of moisturizing. This wasn't the case. My skin felt hydrated afterwards and hardly taut. The price may make you weary at first, but may be justified when you read this product tones and hydrates your skin all in one cleansing. No need to buy a separate toner or to exfoliate after using this system. I really like it overall yet I'm on the fence if I would buy it at full retail.. :/

rated 4 of 5 on 7/31/2012 3:09:00 AM More reviews by bellsie

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I love this cleanser, but it took a while! I persevered because of how much I paid. After two months of use, my skin is in pretty good shape. I still have blocked pores and the occasional blemish, but my over tone has greatly improved. If you have the spare cash, go for it, but I wouldn't say it's a must purchase, I think there are similar products for a nicer price. Antipodes grapeseed butter cleanser is just as good and half the price (New Zealand product)

rated 5 of 5 on 7/24/2012 7:55:00 PM More reviews by dlik123

Repeating the words of vogue, this is probably the best cleanser ever!

rated 5 of 5 on 6/19/2012 1:00:00 AM More reviews by noleksyshyn

An amazing cleanser that doesn't leave the skin tight. Melts away every last bit of makeup in whatever form it may appear. Creams, powders, gels, waterproof colors, all gone with one application. Feels extremely luxurious and the process is calming and almost spa-like. I would highly recommend the product not only for the quality, but also for the experience and result. It has significantly changed the texture of my skin for the better. I have a noticeable reduction in pores and overall my skin looks more supple, softer and smoother.

rated 1 of 5 on 6/16/2012 6:27:00 PM More reviews by stormV301

Had really high hopes for this cleanser after hearing so many people raving about how amazing it is......how wrong I was!!! I used this for two weeks int he hope that it would actually make my skin better - it made it worse and worse! (so glad I only shelled out for the smallest tub!) I switched to Dermalogica after this and that has made a big improvement to my skin.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/14/2012 11:03:00 AM More reviews by bellezatigresa

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Probably one of the best cleansers for sensitive/combination, normal or dry skin. I guess that it might be too emollient for oily or acne prone skin.

After switching to another brand recently, I can really see the difference in how my skin reacts to Eve Lom, which is to say flawlessly.

It smells of essential oils and it is a bit time consuming, but beauty never did favor the lazy. :)

I will probably be a lifelong Eve Lom user.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/9/2012 11:37:00 PM More reviews by blumoon

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I do not give a skincare product HG status until I finish it and find that I want to repurchase because I simply can't be without it, which is rare. So far only this cleanser and Exuviance Vespera Bionic Serum have become my HG's. I first tried this product under the recommendation of a friend. Before this, I've switched from one cleanser to another before finishing them because they all either made my skin feel tight due to dryness or caused some kind of problem. The first time I used this cleanser I was surprised at how good my skin felt after. I thought, like a lot of other products, it might stop working so well after a few times, but that never happened. I actually enjoy washing my face with this cleanser. I don't use the muslim cloth often, because washing with it makes my skin feel dryer. I bought the 50ml tub to try it out before shelling out so much money. I am at the end of the tub and will repurchase once it's finished. Gotta say, I hate, hate, hate the price of this product, but it is the best cleanser I've tried so far so what can I do.