December 27, 2014 | 852 users online

Moisturizers - Sweet Almond Oil

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 9/27/2012 4:55:00 AM More reviews by cherryme

It clogs my pores, it gives me pimples and irritates my skin.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/25/2012 3:15:00 AM More reviews by chayaNY

I have extremely dry skin due to a medical condition that causes all my moisture glands to cease functioning. I no longer produce a natural moisture barrier on my skin, nor can any product, natural or otherwise, duplicate the one the body normally produces. I mention this in skin care reviews because if a product helps my skin, given the severity of dryness I deal with, it may be beneficial to those who experiece some problems with dryness as well. I have used this product for a little more than 2 weeks now and will update if my opinion changes over time. This has become a go to product for me because I can use it to remove makeup, "cleanse" with, and moisturize both face, and/or body, and hair.

I apply some on on my face, gently massage in, then remoce with dampened cotton round, or just soap up directly on top of the SAO, then rinse well. I apply a few drops to my cleansed skin and spread to distribute. My skin is not acne prone but I still get clogged pores that manifest in small bumps, especially atop my cheeks. Because oils dissolve oils this helps break up those clogs and my upper cheek area feels and looks very smooth. I experience no irritation, nor negative sensations such as burning, itching, that I felt as a reaction to a few other oils.

I can discern no scent whatsoever. This oil is not very "oily," nor greasy per se, though not a dry oil to me either. When I apply on damp skin it sinks in and my face feels moisturized, soft, calm, no tightness which I normally feel unless I use a more occlusive moisturizer.

I can apply to my hair for some shine without looking like I have greasy hair. However, keep in mind it still is an oil so a dab'll do ya, a spoonful will result in Wessonality (remember the old commercial about cooking in corn oil?!;).

I put a few drops in a spray mister with water and use over my mu to set and take away any powderiness. I have another little travel sized spray bottle with water, SAO, and a little of a calming moisturizer. I keep this by me at home and spritz my face when it feels especially dry (which is often).

This is not a cure all that will drive your kids to school, fix the economic crisis or bring about world peace, nor relieve one of every skin care woe. For some with dryness this may well fill a niche. That's why I use various oils to meet various needs of mine. But it is a nice, useful product for me for both its versatility and that it feels rather inocuous. Meaning like the oath doctors take, it "first does no harm." I've wanted an oil that was benign, for so long, that would amp up lotions and potions in colder weather, easy to find, little to no scent, decent price, would not make me look like a candle dripping wax, caused no redness nor irritation and could be used on my whole face. This fulfills those needs and expectations nicely. I own the NOW brand SWO by the way, not sure how the product varies brand to brand. As always, "your mileage may vary," and I can only attest to how my skin has reacted to SWO. Always do a patch test to see if you will have an adverse reaction to a product. If an oil you buy turns out to be ill-suited for your face you it may be better suited for your body, or hair (or both), cuticles, feet etc. For me personally its why I find oils to be a good value. I do like knowing this is not laden with chemicals, that said its not my reason for trying it, just an added benefit. I don't think "all natural" products are necessarily better for our skin. I simply try what I think is best suited for my skin and hope I've madd good choices, this one certaily seems to be!

9 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 9/21/2012 4:56:00 PM More reviews by missingyoo2

I originally bought this to help with my under eye circles, but after three months I didn't notice any difference. It did, however, make my eyelashes grow longer and thicker.

This doesn't work for me as an all over facial moisturizer, because it sits on top of my skin rather than soaking in. It also made me break out along my jawline, where I never break out.

It works great for a hot oil hair treatment though, and left my hair feeling soft and healthy. I was worried about potential hair loss because of other reviews, but I haven't been losing any more hair than normal.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/19/2012 6:41:00 AM More reviews by anayaafter

Almond oil is a great moisturizer for sensitive skin. I`ve had a good experience with this product but i feel it takes time to absorb into the skin. Maybe i should`ve exfoliated well before application. Prefer using it at night, giving the oil enough time to get absorbed. Best for under eye area.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/19/2012 4:27:00 AM More reviews by polishproblem

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I love sweet almond oil as my go-to, universal beauty product. I use it on my face and body to moisturize after a shower or before I go to bed (I like to put in a couple drops of lavender and orange essential oil for a nice scent). I also use it as a makeup remover, a deep conditioner for hair, as the oil when I make homemade sugar scrubs, and as a massage oil. I bet you could also use it as a tanning oil.

I have combination to dry skin, and I have never broken out after putting this on my face (sparingly), although I don't really have skin that tends to break out that much anyway.

What I love most about using sweet almond oil is that it can be used for so many things, so when I'm traveling, I just put a bottle of this in my toiletries bag and I'm good to go!

rated 5 of 5 on 9/7/2012 11:51:00 AM More reviews by ForeverButterfly

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Curly, Other Eyes: Brown

This my go to product for the dry nights. I use it on my face, body and as a leave in night time conditioner in my hair on a Friday. It absorbs into the skin with medium-fast speed and is a nongreasy moisturiser.

Face: My skin type is sensitive, dry on the surface, oily underneath with hormonal pimples. I use it 2 - 3 times a night when I feel my skin needs extra moisturising. Since my skin is prone to itching and irritation, I will use a bit of oil on the sensitive spot.The next day my skin feels soft and smooth. There are no dry spots and a natural glow is left.

* Nice eye cream substitute, helps with dark circles and puffiness.
* Also notice my dark spots have gotten smaller too.

Body: I use it during the winter. My body tends to itch at night and I always feel to scratch it. But there will always be red marks left and I can't fall asleep. I would put the oil on just before I go to bed. There is no more irritation. Same thing as face, my skin is smooth and nice. I also notice there are less ingrown hair on my legs now.

Hair: I use it on a Friday night because oil is hard to wash out with water. And you don't want to put it in your hair when you are going out the next day. I massage it into my scalp and then run a tiny bit through the hair strands. I then braid my hair. I do not make it into a bun and wrap a cloth around it. I find the braiding is easier on the hair and my scalp does not hurt like it does when it's in a bun. Less friction/pull on the scalp. It takes about 2 washes with shampoo to get the oil out. I do not recommend using a conditioner after, because when the hair dries, it becomes flat and oily looking with the extra conditioning. It works great with my fine curly hair. My curls don't get messy with knots and frizziness.

*I do not use it when it is really hot, I use a lighter moisturizer.
* For a lip scrub, I mix it with brown sugar and cinnamon.
* I rub a bit on my cuticles when they are dry.
* I mix it with turmeric for a nice face mask.

Time Used of Product: 4 months, continuing

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 9/4/2012 7:19:00 PM More reviews by heinesite

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Cool Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Black

I been using the Aura Cacia brand for about a month at night and to be honest it really does do much for my skin. It doesn't seem to absorb well into my skin like their grapeseed oil. I even tried using it to remove my makeup since I have a whole bottle but that doesn't work well either.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/29/2012 11:31:00 AM More reviews by Stanwyck

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Red, Straight, Other Eyes: Hazel

I use sweet almond oil (bought from Whole Foods) every day. I use it on my body - and slather it on BEFORE I get into the shower. Since my arms, chest and legs rarely need a real scrub down - the oil remains - but in just the right amount after I've showered. (I use a moisturizing body wash most of the time - soap when I'm sweaty from a workout). The pre-shower oil gives me a nice glow - without getting onto my clothes or being too much of an oil-slick. The heat/steam from the shower helps the oil penetrate. The result is very soft skin - with a glow.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/29/2012 8:34:00 AM More reviews by cyens

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I used to have terrible skin problems until I started using all natural products and making cosmetics myself. My skin used to be dry, flaky and itchy, and it didn't matter how much lotion I used, my skin would never get better.
I've been using sweet almond oil for a couple of years now. Either by incorporating it in my homemade lotion or applying it mixed with others oils.
I experimented with a lot of mixes in the past years, my current mix is half rice bran oil, half sweet almond, with some added vitamin E. I use it only in the shower, just before getting out. All your pores are open and the oil just sinks right in your skin, so you don't feel oily for long.
My skin is super smooth and I never get any dry or itchy patches. My fiance always comment on how smooth my skin is.
I used to get my oil at the pharmacy, now I get it at new direction aromatics.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 8/23/2012 11:30:00 PM More reviews by GoldenPie

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Tan, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I have the NOW version of sweet almond oil and I've been using it for a couple days and this is the oil for me. I tried grapeseed oil first and didn't like it because of the white heads I would get nor was it moisturizing. However my skin just obsorbs the almond oil and gives my face a pretty glow and not greasyness. I was using it twice a day but I got 2 bumps so I cut it down to once a day and I haven't had a reaction since.

I apply the oil to my face, then I place a hot towel over my face and let my pores obsorb the oil. Then I apply a moisturizer and my skin is baby soft and glowing. I also took the eye cream I bought back and I won't be purchasing a eye cream again because almond oil is just as effective for moisturizing and brightening the eye area.

I haven't used it on my hair yet but I will use as a hot oil treatment when it gets cold and my hair needs the extra moisture. This is a great all purpose oil.