October 25, 2014 | 1860 users online

Hair Color - Herbaceuticals Inc. - Naturcolor - all shades

rated 5 of 5 on 2/2/2008 7:04:00 PM More reviews by MAO

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other Eyes: Hazel

I love it! My hair turned out very shiny and healthy looking. The best part is it didn't stink, didn't give me a headache(anyone else get this problem?) and I didn't feel like it was bothering my scalp at all. It DID turn out pretty dark and I assume it will lighten up, but I have gotten nothing but compliments nontheless......The only thing I DIDN"T like is it doesn't show the color on the box.

rated 3 of 5 on 1/26/2008 4:17:00 PM More reviews by imjanetp

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Hate to be the buzz kill as far as Naturcolor goes, but I'm doubtful about subsequent purchases.
I have been coloring/hi-lighting my hair for about 30 years and have learned quite a bit. I have fine, thin, shoulder length hair that was blonde when I was a kid, but would probably be ash brown now, if I left it alone. I am on a constant crusade to keep my treated-blonde hair cool and ashy. Nothing screams bottle-blonde louder than brassiness. HATE red-orange hair on myself!
I really thought, from these reviews, that Naturcolor would deliver. It's all natural and the directions claim it doesn't "lighten" hair.
I was hoping 10N (Manzanita Blonde) would be a nice compliment to my current color. I used the (very thick) mixture as directed and achieved LIGHT ORANGE ROOTS and not much change to the rest of my hair!!! I went back and re-read the directions and had done nothing wrong!
It sure seemed like Naturcolor lightened--A LOT!
All I can figure, is that it DID lighten herbally (like lemon or chamomile does), and DID deposit a color one shade lighter than my current blonde. SO, therefore, my ash brown roots had no place to go but to Orange Town! I am so bummed! Not even close to the results I expected. Maybe the moral of the story is: Do NOT use a lighter color on your roots, unless you're OK with warm (copper-yellow-orange-red) undertones!!
On the plus side, the formula seems to be very kind to the hair. Mine was shiny and not dried out. Mild, clean fragrance, too.
Lastly, I did undo my roots with good old Clairol Lt. Ash Brown.
So much for going au naturel !!!

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 1/19/2008 6:20:00 PM More reviews by wsdailey

Over the years, I have spent thousands of dollars on salon color & highlights. Recently I spent $104 on a salon haircut, color and highlight, which although not bad by today's prices, is still a lot of money. The cut was okay, the haircolor was nothing special, and the hightlights were too blonde for my coloring. I decided I was done spending lots of money over & over again for the same so-so results. So after checking on MUA, I decided to try Naturcolor. I can only add to the rave reviews. Two days after the salon color & highlight, I went to the health food store in my area and purchased Naturcolor in 8N, Yarrow Blonde. I used it as directed, and am very pleased with the results. My natural hair is dark blonde/light brown, and this color came out very close and believable. The too-blonde highlights were toned down and blended well with the overall color. The condition of my hair is still great (very shiny and healthy-looking) even after being colored twice and highlighted once within two days. I am looking forward to saving lots of money in the future using this product. Thanks to all who recommended this product.
EDIT: As time goes on, the color is fading and leaving a lot of brassiness. Not sure if I would purchase again.

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 1/18/2008 8:45:00 PM More reviews by sparker1977

I wanted to review this and keep up the 100% "purchase again" rate. I don't think I've ever seen such great reviews for one product...and they are all right! I've been using Natural Instincts in the past to color my hair various shades of brown, but my hair started to become dry and the color wasn't rich enough for me. I used this in "burdock" which is a dark brown and totally love it. It's true that you should probably buy a shade lighter then is actually pictured, but luckily I like my hair really dark so it worked out okay. The best part is not smelling...when I came out with my new hair my husband said "you colored your hair???" He was shocked I didn't stink up the whole apartment. Fantastic.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/18/2008 3:49:00 PM More reviews by mercymercyme

I purchased this product after reading the reviews. Backstory: In mid-July, I had dyed my very fine, very curly, lower-back length, naturally deep chestnut hair blonde. I essentially submitted it to a double stripping process, whereby the bottom 5 inches of my hair were first stripped of color, and then an overall lightener was applied to my entire head - to obtain a gradual, sun-bleached look. It was absolutely lovely - strawberry blond on the darker part, and a golden, lighter blonde on the bottom. It was really gorgeous, but I found out that I had no inclination to maintain a blonde head of hair. What I did, then, (hangs head in slight shame) was let it grow, unattended, until December 23rd, when I had THREE-INCH LONG ROOTS! It was ridiculous, sort of embarrassing, and so, so trashy! I noticed this product reviewed in the “Top Picks” section of MUA, and figured I really, really needed to fix the situation (Also, thanks to other reviews here, I’ve been happily raiding the shelves at Whole Foods for beauty products, and figured another experiment would be fun).

After checking out the swatches online and at the store, I chose Mullein Blond (7N) – a color that I figured would be the pretty middle ground between my chestnut roots and the strawberry-blonde. So, my mom colored my hair with the entire bottle. It smelled very herbal, totally unlike chemical hair-dye we’re all accustomed to. I rinsed after 45 minutes to reveal a really nice brown, - darker than I had expected, but after three more rinses, lightening each time, it settled on a pretty, golden, light brown – exactly what the swatches at the store (and the website) would lead you to believe you would end up with. AAAAND, surprise surprise, it DID dye the darker part of my hair! I had thought that this would merely be a color deposit and would have no effect on my darker hair, but it did lighten it – not like a dye with peroxide would, but it lightened it appreciably. No complaints here. Another surprise was how soft my hair felt afterwards. The stylist I went to submit my locks to the most brutal treatment, and it’s been sort of damaged ever since. However, after using Naturcolor, I felt like a good measure of my hair’s health had been restored.

I will, absolutely, buy Naturcolor again. Perhaps I’ll go even darker next time, closer to my natural color, but I think that from here on out (unless I lose my mind and go blond again) I’ll be using this brand.

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 1/18/2008 3:33:00 AM More reviews by jilixi

Hmmm... I have to say that after all the amazing reviews on here, I guess my expectations were a little bit too high. The most amazing thing about this haircolor is that not once during the whole process did I feel like I was damaging my hair at all... not even slightly. Even after I washed off the dye, and before conditioning, my hair did not feel bad, dry, damaged, or straw-like, at all. That's wonderful.
So I have dark-medium brown hair and it has lots of pretty natural reddish, copperish highlights, which i really just wanted to enhance. I also had a few light brown/dark blonde artificial highlights which have been growing out for a while and were not very noticeable. I wanted to pick a color which would blend in the highlights, enhance the natural tones in my hair, blend in about 5 gray hairs in the front, and not darken my hair... and not damage my hair. So I chose 6D. Because from the swatches it looked like what I wanted my hair to look like. It's actually called Goldenrod Blonde or something, even though it's a medium-lightish brown. I thought for sure this would not be too dark. I was worried it would actually be too light and would have no effect.
Well actually it came out darker than I wanted. It looks good - it's very shiny and has nice tones in the light... not too reddish, pretty color. But it's just slightly too dark. I'm surprised - not sure why it came out that way.
One thing that I found a little bit annoying is that it didn't cover all my grays. On the information sheet (INSIDE THE BOX) it tells you that if you want to cover gray hairs, you should get the N series because it's stronger. Well, that's great, but it's dumb that you can't find that out until after you've already purchased your color and opened the box. I though that maybe since I only had a few grays, it would work. And it did work on some of them, but I had to pluck 2 hairs after coloring. No big deal.
Anyway, I'm pretty happy with the results. It's nice to have a change. I think next time I'll go with 7N.

Update: It's 2 days later and the color seems to have lightened just a little bit. It's actually exactly what I wanted and the shine and tones look really good. Just hope it doesn't fade.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/17/2008 1:21:00 PM More reviews by bellakahlua

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

Wow... I can now say that I completely agree with all of the raves below. I used it for the first time last night, & am so impressed! I used 2N on my naturally dark brown hair, in hopes of disguising the natural auburn highlights & few silver strands that have seemingly snuck their way in uninvited. My results are identical to the sample loop on the Naturcolor display.

The application was easy, and the product smells pleasantly like an aromatherapy treatment instead of harsh chemicals. I skipped the step instructing to do the roots, & then wait 25 mins though - as I assumed that this was for those wtih silver roots to cover. I instead just massaged it all over, assuring that my entire head was covered, and then piled my long hair on top of my head. I then followed the instructions by rinsing after 20 minutes w/ water & small bit of shampoo, applied the after-color treatment included, & then the conditioner. My hair is soooo soft & shiny today, and the few silver strands I always struggle to conceal are completely MIA. Perfection.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 1/16/2008 1:43:00 PM More reviews by Wendy1954

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I have colored or highlighted my hair for years and have gradually turned to less harsh products as my hair is fine and can be trashed by many products. I have used two other non-ammonia products before Naturcolor. ColorSpa (semi) and Sue Henry (permanent exclusive through her salon). Based on the great reviews here I have wanted to try this product for quite some time. I purchased it at Whole Foods and the sales person of the dept wasn't really there. But as I was looking at the samples I decided to call the 800 number to get some customer service advice. The rep was extremely nice and helpful. Anyone with questions should call beforehand with questions. I based my decision on what another reviewer here had used 7N Mullein Blonde and 6C Dark Caraway Blonde. These colors come out a shade darker than expected so go lighter if unsure. The customer rep verified all of this for what I wanted. I have medium brown hair with 30% gray (1" outgrowth) and color (dark blonde/light brown with a reddish tone). I wanted to cover gray hence using a neutral but wanted to cut the red a bit. Can't tell you how many people were coming by as I was standing there with their own suggestions but alas no one had used the product. The rep suggested I use a 2:1 ratio of 7N to 6C.

I went through this process yesterday primarily aimed at the roots but brought the color through and left on 45 minutes. No funky smell and for the most part using the gel was good. I did not find it as easy to spread around as others have and it was drying out during the processing time. I had to use the equivalent of a whole box (hair length 1 inch below shoulder-length). That counters what others have been posting here. It took a while to completely rinse out and the shower floor was bit slippery. I used the after color treatment (a transparent liquid in a little bottle so I spilled quite a bit); it created some suds and I suspect it was for restoring a pH balance. I used the echinacea conditioner as the last step. My hair was extremely dry after rinsing the color ( my ends were a bit dry previously but not the rest of my hair) and the conditioner is absolutely necessary to make your hair feel decent. The other thing I hadn't expected is that while rinsing my hair it actually smelled like hair dye and the smell lingered on my dry hair for sometime. That was a disappointment.

So my hair is a bit darker than what it was and the ends being porous definitely soaked it up and are a bit darker than the rest. That's OK since I will be trimming it today. Coverage is good; the grays are like highlights but there are a few strays that did not take. Not sure if that was the product or my application process but the grays at the temples were a bit resistant. The reddish tone did not disappear but not necessarily unpleasant. I'm undecided here. I think I would redo my roots with this product but not use it on the whole head again. I guess the only other issue is to see how the color holds up over the next few weeks.

Sorry so long but I think most women when trying a new product, especially hair color, want to know as much as possible to make a decision. Hopefully this helps and I welcome feedback on this review

12 out of 13 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 1/13/2008 11:43:00 AM More reviews by GreekMA

I tried 4M Pomegrante Chestnut which is a lovely dark brown color w/ a red tint to it. It covered my hair completely without my brassy ends and highlights coming through, and interfering w/ the color. Gentle product that's great for chemically sensitive people like me. (Didn't smell disgusting or burn my scalp) The only negative was that it took 3 shampoos to get most of it out, and I still ended up getting it on my pillow. This dye (like any other dye, especially dark red) will stain anything it comes in contact with so be careful, but then again that happens to me when I eat a real pomegrante. I'm doing my mother's hair today, and plan to use only half the product, but I will write back w/ her results.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/31/2007 7:49:00 PM More reviews by oliveoil52706

Used for the first time and was very pleased. I have slightly above the shoulder length hair, and at the suggestion of other reviews I only used half of the bottles. My hair soaked it up, so in hindsight I could have used it all. I was still impressed with the results. I used Mullein Blonde over previously salon hi/low lights, the result turned out to be very natural looking dark blonde. Made my hair soft, and the smell of the product was pleasant. I will continue to use this product and plan to gradually return to a lovely shade of brown with their darker colors.