April 20, 2014 | 1692 users online

Hair - DevaCurl - No Poo

rated 3 of 5 on 3/14/2007 11:20:00 PM More reviews by verarespirawho

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I have dry, curly (did I mention curly?), long (wet to my derierre!) hair. I use the no-poo cleansing method. Although I never cared for the Rose & Peppermint scent of this product, the *Old* formulation was very effective at delivering bouncy, shiny, frizz free curls! The *New* formulation (reformulation circa Summer '05) with amino acids added to the formula makes my hair dry and brittle, and I think it should be named Poo Poo! I prefer to use the Beauty Without Cruelty conditioners as a No Poo type of wash (see my review for my fave, so-called Volumizing formulation). Even for the larger size, this product is over-priced and over-fragranced IMO. Go with the BWC if you appreciate the ethos!

rated 3 of 5 on 7/15/2006 1:13:00 AM More reviews by schpahky

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

My coarse, dry, curly hair loved this stuff - LOVED it - but my scalp didn't. No matter how I massaged, no matter the apple cider vinegar rinses, my scalp still got oily, flaky chunks all over it. Gross. The No-Poo smells wonderful and minty, and it goes on very thick. Still, it is cleansing, and healthy for the hair - just watch out if you've an oily scalp. I have switched to Low-Poo and my scalp is happier and the hair still likes it better than shampoo.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/22/2006 11:33:00 PM More reviews by chattykathy

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I completely agree with Artbabe and Dominicanaheat's reviews below. This is not a regular shampoo. This will not suds up and leave your hair squeaky clean, but you know what?? If you have really curly hair, your hair should not be squeaking in the first place. This will cleanse your hair and leave it fresh smelling and soft. As Artbabe mentioned, if you are using a lot of silicone laden products this will not remove them so you will need to clarify first. I solve that by not using those products anymore. I hate to get all emotional on you here, but I had hated my curly frizzy hair for 39 years. It is crazy corkscrew ringlets underneath and frizzy undefined waves on top. The flat iron was my drug of choice. Then I decided to trot over to naturallycurly.com and I found a ton of ladies like me and a salon locator for women with curly messes to deal with. Off I went to Devachan (the salon that formulated this product).Since that day two years ago My hair has never looked better. They taught me about the curly girl routine and introduced me to products like this one being reviewed and now people actually stop me in the street, men, women...you name it...and ask me where I get my hair done and if it is natural. The flat iron has been cold since then and I now feel sorry for people with straight hair. If you have curls and don't know what to do, give this and the curly girl routine a shot. Believe me, I had given up hope and I now have the hair of my dreams!

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 3/26/2006 12:51:00 AM More reviews by elloyd94

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Other Eyes: Hazel

I heard this was good if you have a lot of fine wavy/curly hair--I do. However, it left my hair looking really dirty when it finally dried. I hadn't even used conditioner. May try the Low-poo version. Would not recommend if you have even a slightly oily scalp.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/5/2006 3:53:00 PM More reviews by Pennylope

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This stuff is great, but way too expensive- you can get the same results by buying an organic shampoo from the health-food store, for a third of the price. That said, I like the scent of is, its kind of fruity and clean. Cleans the scalp without over-drying. I wouldn't buy it again though, far too expensive.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/11/2005 10:50:00 AM More reviews by badbadbeanie

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I love this. This is the only shampoo a curly-head should ever use.

rated 1 of 5 on 11/7/2005 1:10:00 PM More reviews by BeingHuman

I really loved the smell of this product but the results were nil performance-wise. After 3 weeks of continuous use, the peppermint made my scalp dry and itchy. It didn't really clean my hair (there's no cleansing agents), so I suffered from dull hair with major buildup.

I think you're better off with a Suave cheapie for $0.99.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/7/2005 2:00:00 PM More reviews by kjbassick

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

The whole line of DevaCurl products is the absolute best stuff I have ever used on my fine, curly hair. My stylist recommended this and I went right out and got it and it is totally awesome! People are complaining about the smell of this - I think it is kind of like Philosophy's Purity cleanser - a clean scent, not something I would want to smell all day, but not at all unpleasant. The combination of No-Poo (or Low-Poo if I feel like things really need cleansing), with One Condition and An-gell is the best! I was trying to resist repurchasing (trying to economize) but having fruitlessly worked my way through the drug-store curly-hair options (YIKES!!) I am headed back to order more...

rated 2 of 5 on 10/2/2005 12:21:00 PM More reviews by Bubbalish

Hmmm, this didn't really seem to clean my hair. I adore the smell, but after a few days use, my hair was overconditioned, tangley and weighed down.

Didn't work for my fine, long color-treated hair.

rated 2 of 5 on 9/22/2005 2:08:00 PM More reviews by MuggBeer

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Unfortunately this didn't clean my hair at all. The smell was repulsive to me and the build-up from not having any cleansing properties to it started to dry my hair out.

I'm now using this as a shaving cream and it works well, but the smell....ugh..