October 1, 2014 | 1952 users online

Liquid - Christian Dior - Diorskin Airflash

image 0image 1image 2

rated 2 of 5 on 6/22/2013 3:59:00 PM More reviews by PamelaGB

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I was really looking forward to trying this foundation. Right now I'm using SISLEY Phyto-Teint Eclat Fluid Foundation in 0 Porcelaine and I confess I absolutely adore it. But I also like to try new foundations and this one sounded good, based on the reviews here. Plus it's summer and I like to go with a less moisturizing foundation in the summer. I should say right off the bat that I have hated every mineral foundation I've ever tried and I don't bother with them at all anymore.

First off, the color of this (lightest this foundation comes in) is too dark for my redhead's complexion. Just a shade, but a shade too dark IMO. There is no way that you can spray it on your face; you have to spray it into your hand and work quickly -- very quickly. This foundation gives a masklike, cakey appearance that I didn't care for at all -- especially in comparision to the dewy glow I get from my Sisley.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/17/2013 1:17:00 PM More reviews by Gabydaniel88

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Other

So far I am loving this product. Has a lovely finish and leaves my skin looking so glowing, natural fresh and beautiful. I use it for work since I dont have a lot of time to do my makeup and this is very quick and easy, and makes me look natural. I think this is light to medium coverage and has not break me out. It is expensive but worth it, the only con is the shade range since it is very limited, but the color 200 has worked for me perfect and does not oxideses. I have very oily skin and i have to admit that this barely controls it, but does not make it worst so i just carry some blotting papers and a little transluscent powder and use it twice in the day :)

rated 5 of 5 on 6/15/2013 6:17:00 PM More reviews by ImogensMakeupReviews

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Grey

I found my life long foundation! Its so amazing I will never need another foundation! I am 200 as I have fair skin but really suited my combination complexion! I recommend this product if you like the whole "Makeup" look! Specially for younger skin as It evens out any blemishes and fine lines! ***** stars from me!

rated 5 of 5 on 6/4/2013 9:11:00 AM More reviews by LeeSays

So I bit the bullet and bought this recently because of the massive amounts of summer weddings coming up and how many pictures will inevitably be taken. Not to mention, I'm getting married next summer and wanted to find something that would look great in pictures as well as in person.

This foundation is absolute HG status for sure. The color matched me perfectly (300 for 53 in Healthy Mix Foundation, Soft Honey in Covergirl Outlast 3 in 1, and Cameo in Estee Lauder's Futurist) and complemented my yellow undertones while covering my redness and combination skin. Even my boyfriend couldn't help but comment on how wonderfully natural it looked on my face.

I applied it using MUFE's Kabuki brush, working section by section on my face to make sure I wasn't wasting too much product because I've read that the bottle doesn't hold too much foundation--that's quite unfortunate considering I paid $62 for it. But I do love this foundation and will definitely be saving it for fancy events where I know I'll be needing it!

rated 5 of 5 on 5/30/2013 2:04:00 AM More reviews by EduGold

I love this foundation it gives me all the coverage I need and last all day long, sometimes I don't even need to set it with a powder, on more hot or humid days I will apply powder regardless just to be sure it keeps looking good. I like mixing colors depending on my makeup, Ivory, 200, 201 and Linen are the colors I enjoy using. This foundation is great for bridal work because it gives you a medium coverage with a soft focus finish that photographs like a dream!! LOVES IT! xo

rated 5 of 5 on 5/27/2013 12:06:00 AM More reviews by srnarath

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

This stuff is AMAZING. I have super oily skin (i blot every hour) and very large pores and acne prone skin. This stuff truly gives an airbrush finish. Everyone says don't spray it directly on your face but I've done it a few times and it actually looks amazing. You can also spray it on a brush and then apply which is do sometimes too. Either way it gives an airbrush flawless finish. The thing I love the most is that it feels nice. It's not cakey at all. It sits nicley on my skin and gives my skin a healthy glow. I blot less when I wear this foundation (with a setting powder over) its not matte but it is better than any other matte foundation ive used. Its a beautiful foundation and makes your skin look pretty. The price is a little high but I guess its worth it . This is deffinitly my HG foundation. I've tried everything you could imagine from makeup forever , kat von d (another favorite but really heavy), mac ...you name it i've tried it. I love that this doesn't clog my pores and makes my face look flawless. Its not a full coverage but it does a good job. I dont even need concealer with it. It hides all my breakouts and large pores. LOVE it

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 5/26/2013 11:36:00 PM More reviews by slidingdoors

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

Shade:

I'm approximately an NC20 at MAC. In the 14-hour version (now discontinued) of Lancome Teint Idole, I was a Buff 2(w).

In the Diorskin Airflash, at the time I was purchasing it a few weeks ago, the lightest shade available from the department store I was buying it from (online) was 200 Light Beige. Normally, I am the second or third shade along from the very lightest one in a foundation range, but it was apparent with this range that I'd need to select the lightest shade that was available (from the retailer I bought it from).

Since then, that department store's website has added several lighter shades to their selection, and I probably would have tried the 201 Linen shade instead of the 200 Light Beige, if I could have.

At the time of application, the 200 Light Beige color matches my facial skin color very well, and my face and neck appear the same shade as each other.

The first time I tried this, it was right when it came in the mail. I put it on that evening out of curiosity, and it seemed to do great until I washed it off at bedtime. No color change.

The second time I tried this, about an hour after application when I was ready to leave the house, I looked in the bathroom mirror and could not believe how much darker the makeup had gotten. My face was a totally different shade from my neck - orangey, oxidized. In that brief hour on a cool morning, the change in foundation color was not due to excess oil production, heat, sweating, humidity, or anything obvious. I didn't have time to redo my makeup, and it remained orange all day. Others agreed that it looked orange on me.

When I bought the 200 Light Beige shade, I was not aware that quite a number of MUA reviewers had written that this shade had oxidized on them. After my experience, I came back here to scroll through the 300+ reviews of this product, and then I could see that it wasn't just me.

The third time I applied this, it did not seem to oxidize that day. I don't know why sometimes it does and sometimes it doesn't....

I have not tried the Dior Airflash a fourth time, because I've gone through a spell of having perioral dermatitis after trying out some new moisturizers that did not work for me, so I'm not using anything on my face until the rash heals, but I am planning to give this another try when the dermatitis has resolved.

Consistency:

I don't know what consistency it's supposed to have, but every time I've used it, I have shaken the aluminum can really well and for a long time, yet every time the consistency of the liquid and the way it has spread on my face has been different!

Note that I spray it out onto my hand and then apply it from there, which Dior says is okay to do. I don't spray it directly on my face.

The very first time I used it, what came out of the can was pretty thick yet not pasty, and the coverage was excellent. The second time I used it, the liquid was thinner and the coverage was more sheer. The third time I used it, the liquid was thinner still, and the coverage was even more sheer. That's with a thorough shaking of the can prior to each spray.

This isn't something I feel I can experiment with, by spraying out a lot into my hand at once to see if the result of each spray has a different texture, because the cost per facial application of this stuff is already so high!

I definitely would have preferred the texture to be the way it was the first time I used it. I'm liking it less as it's getting thinner. I don't know if it will get thicker again, or what.

I wonder if it's possible to spray the entire contents of the can out at one time into a normal container with a lid on it, but I expect that the chemical formula requires the pressurized aluminum environment, and probably would degrade in an ordinary container.

Positives:

+ did not break me out (if a foundation is going to cause me pimples, it usually does so from the first use onwards)
+ did not have much of a scent
+ did not dry out my skin or cause flakes
+ did not seem to rub off too badly (onto hands, tissues, phones, etc.), but did rub off to a normal extent
+ did not chap my lips (which many modern foundations do)
+ only bothered my eyes a small amount (due to product migration), and that was at the end of the day
+ did not appear to cause my forehead to develop milia (which many products do)
+ covered over my larger pores pretty well, didn't appear to "spackle" them
+ spreads relatively easily
+ does not contain chemical sunscreens, a big plus for me
+ washed off without a hassle

Negatives:

- is expensive
- on the second use, the 200 Light Beige color oxidized badly on me, quite quickly
- does not come in many shades, even considering the three new lighter shades they have recently introduced
- was just middle-of-the-road in terms of dealing with my t-zone's oil production during the day
- appeared after about 10 hours to have partly disintegrated from my face
- I do not like the aluminum-can container, nor the fact that the only way to get the product out of the container is to spray it out
- I do not like the way the consistency of the product varied and got thinner over time
- In my region, there are no Dior makeup counters (at any retailer) within 80 miles, so I had to order this online, and could not try a sample first or get color-matched by a salesperson

Conclusion:

While I was relatively happy with the positive aspects of this foundation, and I could live with most of the negative aspects, the intermittent color oxidization of the 200 Light Beige shade is not acceptable. I am not comfortable taking a chance on whether I will walk around all day looking orange.

I might try the new, lighter color 201 Linen. I haven't been able to find any online reviews about whether it has a tendency to oxidize on some people.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/14/2013 1:19:00 PM More reviews by tranlily

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I went to one of the few DIOR Beauty counters - the whole shop is a beauty counter in Las Vegas. The SA put this on me. I was happy to purchase it because I had heard so many good things about it, but never got around to it.

Anyway, it gives you a nice "made up" look. I sprayed it in the Z pattern and blended it on my face. I definitely look like I'm wearing makeup when I spray this on my face.

I haven't tried photographing with it on. For the price tag, there are many better alternative options IMO. My top 2 foundations right now are Armani LSF and MUFE HD. I just picked up Koh Gen Do Manfianshi (?) fdtn and have yet to try it. So many things to try, so little $$!!

rated 4 of 5 on 5/14/2013 3:40:00 AM More reviews by thepinkviper

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I was mulling over this for awhile and finally decided to splurge. I know it's not the highest rated here on MUA, but I've seen it on people and it's gorgeous.

The first major con about Airflash are the shades. There aren't enough. I'm NW15 and it's definitely slightly too dark for me, but not really enough to notice to most people. It looks so natural that you can barely tell you're wearing it, so it doesn't look like a mask.

Another con is the price, obviously. $60+, and it's kind of scary because you can't see how much is left and without some guidance it's difficult to tell if you're using it right or being wasteful.

I have five other foundations and tend to use this one when I want to look fancy fast (since you don't really need primer or anything), when I have a special event, or when I'm YouTubing. I have a pretty popular channel and I think this looks the best on me on camera. It's very natural and not shiny.

I have no idea what some people are talking about when they say it's terrible and clogs up your pores, etc. I haven't broken out one time since using this. It feels so natural and great on my skin. And when I react bad to foundation, I break out FAST. A MAC girl convinced me to buy Studio Fix in liquid and I had five pimples on my face the next day. Airflash has never done this to me.

It seems to last pretty much all day for me. I'll admit, I'm pretty young and have youthful skin so maybe if it wears off a little I don't notice it as much, because like I said...it's VERY natural. It's definitely dewy and not matte in the slightest.

To apply, I would REALLY NOT RECOMMEND APPLYING IN THE S-METHOD. Or Z. Please don't. I actually called 15 Dior MUAs around the country and every single one said NOT to use that method. They said it was very wasteful and they also ALL said to use a flat-top or kabuki brush. I use my Sonia Kashuk Flat-Top Multi-Purpose Synthetic Brush and it is AMAZING. It has VERY high ratings here on MUA and is really cheap - like about $15 or less. 2-3 small sprays should cover your face - both cheeks and your forehead. Good advice from a Dior MUA - start around your t-zone when applying and feather it out.

I've read some people that have said not to wear primer because it will make Airflash "melt off" or "not work." Um, unless I'm in a rush I always wear foundation primer AND a beauty balm. I just wait about 3 minutes before putting on the Airflash. I've done it with and without and I think it definitely lasts longer and looks a little better when I prep my skin. Not a ton, but I don't think a primer is a huge no-no like some people say. The Dior MUAs say it's not necessary or to use their primer (of course) sos I really don't see the harm at all.

It's kind of a scary product in some ways but it's definitely worth it. I always receive a ton of compliments and I love how natural it looks.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 5/3/2013 4:22:00 AM More reviews by JenniferLupita

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

Absolute favorite! Being 18 I have a lot of older people doubt me when I say it's amazing regardless of age, so I decided to use this on my aunt who's 50.. she fell in love & bought the product the next day. The most stunning finish, if you're looking for something light & fast definitely a must have. Depending on coverage you're looking for this product is something you could use alone or over another foundation for a nice airbrush finish. Pricey but well worth, it lasts me about 3 months & I wear it just about everyday so it's great. All in all, a must have if you want that flawless finish and airy feel.