April 18, 2014 | 1795 users online

Lip Treatments - La Mer - Lip Balm

rated 5 of 5 on 5/31/2011 3:27:00 PM More reviews by Someone1

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This is a great lip balm. Luxurious package, great sweet minty smell, gorgeous texture (just right, not too light, not too heavy), moisturises for a long time and leaves my lips satisfied (which is quite a difficult task). I just wish it wasn't so pricey.

rated 1 of 5 on 5/9/2011 4:55:00 PM More reviews by LianneN

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine Eyes: Blue

Over priced minty lip balm. If you suffer from dry lips don't bother. It tastes nice, thats it. Vaseline is better! Rather spend money on Elizabeth arden 8 hour cream/ stick or Clinique's repairwear intensive lip treatment.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/3/2011 4:18:00 PM More reviews by beautysnob

It does its job. Lips moist and soft.. what more can I say? :)

rated 5 of 5 on 4/20/2011 6:14:00 PM More reviews by edelk

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

this is extremely expensive, actually shamefully expensive at 37 which is why I waited until I had some birthday vouchers to pay for it but I absolutely love this. It is a very elegant silver topped pot and you don't need very much. But I have used a lot of lip balms and this makes your lips so soft that I never have to reapply during the day. It also plumps them up and when I wear this I never wear any lipstick during the day because it looks so nice on its own, it makes your lips look soft, very smooth. I hate to say it but I would re-purchase again (even though I would never admit to anyone that I did) but, have to say, it is ridiculously expensive

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/1/2011 2:30:00 AM More reviews by aksaiyo

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

*****IMPORTANT: <--- please read this, even if you are going to skip everything else!
I know it seems tempting, but it's NOT their cheapest product by the unit. Here's proof:
La Mer Lip Balm: $45 / 0.32oz = $140.63 /oz
Creme de la Mer: $135/ 1oz
You see that? It's more expensive than the famous Creme de la Mer itself! Yah, just so you know :)
*******

If it's so expensive, why did I buy it? It's because my staple DHC Lip Cream is actually even more expensive per ounce too -_-
DHC Lip Cream: $7.50/ 0.05oz= $150/oz
fml. I go through a tube a month, I might as well get the La Mer then.

Now, on to the real thing. I've only owned it for 3 days so far, but I though recording my thoughts as I go will probably make for a better review.

Texture:
I can categorize lip balm textures into waxy (Burt's Bees) , oily (Kiehl's), and creamy (DHC Lip Cream), sticky (Clinique Superbalm Lip Treatment). Creamy is my favorite texture to wear during the day becuase it feels luxurious on. Sticky is my favorite for nighttime because it stays on well (I unconciously lick my lips all the time). This falls between waxy and creamy, leaning on the creamy side. Like all creamy lip balms, this smooshes quite easily, so they don't take a lot of effort to apply. If you swipe too hard, you'll make a little dent in balm. This lip balm has a great texture, creamy enough to feel super smooth on the lips, wet enough to feel moisturized, and thick enough to layer up or use under lipsticks without thinning the color much. It doesn't give lips a shiny glossy look at all, lips just look moisturized and dewy.
Scent:
All I detect is the minty scent with a hint of vanilla-y sweetness to it. Don't worry, it in no way smells cheap like cotton candy or lip smackers.
Taste:
I actually just picked up the lip balm and applied some of this to my tongue (not recommended). It simply tastes sweet, with a bit normal lip balm aftertaste, but you really have to lick of a good thick layer for that to happen.
Lasting Power:
It doesn't last ages, but it seemed to last longer than your average lip balm. Since it just arrived and I've been obsessively applying it, I haven't had a chance to find out how long lips stay comfortably moisturized after it wears off.

EDIT 5/2/2011:
It's been a full month, so I can talk about it's moisturizing abilities quite comfortably. I'm really liking it! I've also burned through this quite quickly. Here's a picture of it new and unused:
And now a picture of it after one month:
You can even see the dark patch that indicates I'm not too far from the bottom! If I had to guess, I think the lowest point would be a bit below where the screw top ridges end. That would be more than half way down into the pot! :/ There still plenty on the sides, and to be truthful, I've also been using it as a cuticle cream.

Anyways, over the past month, I've really come to appreciate it's scent and taste. I look forward to putting on my lip balm and feel sad if I leave my room without it (even if I have spare random lip balms lying at the bottom of my bag). Lasting power wise, I feel quite comfortable with just applying it around twice a day, once a day on my super dry constantly licked lips is not quite enough. I'd say once a day would be enough if you aren't a balmaholic who lick lips constantly though.
Edit 1/17/2012:
I've finally finished every last bit of this lip balm. I've repurchased and it is on its way to me right now. (PS. If you are ordering from their website, wait until some type of holiday, they have really nice "luxury" sized samples then) :D

13 out of 13 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 2/13/2011 1:56:00 PM More reviews by SR19

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Lovely texture and great moisturising results.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 1/15/2011 4:38:00 AM More reviews by raenamercedi

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

This lip balm is very expensive at $45.00. I would not mind paying this amount for a lip balm that delivered amazing results, but my results from this lip balm were far from amazing. This lip balm is highly emollient and moisturizing, but I have found similar results using lip balm that are less than one third of the price that I paid for this one.
The one thing that I do love about this lip balm is its taste. Several hours after application I can still taste a faint sweet mint flavor on my lips.
I do not mind the jar packaging for a lip balm, because I use this lip balm only in the morning and the evenings after washing my hands, but I do agree that a tube style packaging is more hygienic.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/10/2011 4:59:00 AM More reviews by darren1971

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I love this lip balm. I keep it on my bedside table and use it every night along with Kiels hand cream. My lips (and hands) feel soft and nourished each morning,

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 11/30/2010 5:55:00 PM More reviews by wickedcoolmama

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Yes, this lip balm is expensive, but you get quite a bit of product in my opinion...9 grams. I've used it for 4 months or so (only before going to bed) and I I've just noticed a slight dip. one jar will last me at least a year. If it came in a more luxurious container than a frosted pastic jar w/ plastic lid, I'd consider buying it again.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/16/2010 8:11:00 AM More reviews by mccafferty

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

Last winter I was staying with a friend in London. I forgot to bring my usual trusty lip balm (REN in tub form, by the way) and the indoor dry air made my lips chap. I went through my airline freebies (elemis, dermalogica, molton brown), and my lips got worse and worse. The familiar story - skin gets softer and more comfortable immediately after use, but once the protective layer is gone, the dryness got worse. In the end I need to think twice before managing even a hint of smile. So I accepted my friend's offer and tried her La Mer lip balm. I was totally impressed. I put it on whenever I could remember that evening (because I rather enjoyed using it!), and gradually I could feel my lips got better. Overnight I put a thickish layer on, and the next day, the lips were completely healthy again! After that, all I needed was an occasional layer of balm like I would normally do. Much as I love my REN lip balm, I don't think it would have worked as fast as that. Would I buy this? Normally a natural oil (ie, not petrochemical derivatives) based balm would keep my lips in good condition even in dry weather. So I'd rather save this money. But if for some reason my lips get into seriou trouble again, I will run straight for it.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No