July 30, 2014 | 2066 users online

Lip Treatments - La Mer - Lip Balm

rated 5 of 5 on 7/2/2011 8:18:00 AM More reviews by carolinewknight

My HG lip balm. It has a light mint flavour along with a slight minty smell which dissapears after a while. Unlike so many other brands from Boots etc, this one does not feel heavy upon application and does a great job of moisturising my lips. It also lasts for ages (purchased summer 2010 - still a third left) even when used twice a day. It is expensive for a lip balm but in my opinion it's worth it!

rated 5 of 5 on 6/23/2011 5:20:00 AM More reviews by louisvking

This is probably my all time favorite product - not just lip balm - product. I used to live in a state that did not a have a La Mer counter. Consequently, I avoided all of their products because i couldn't see them, try them, (possibly return them if need be...), etc. Finally after seeing this lip balm win award after award in every magazine and sites like Neiman Marcus I decided to order it online.

The two products that I have tried countless quantities of are lip balm and handcream. I was searching for that product that met every single need exactly. I had tried drugstore lip products and multiple department store lip treatments before trying La Mer's. None even slightly compare to La Mer's.

I absolutely LOVE how this product makes my lips feel. I am amazed at how long it lasts after application. It is the only lip treatment that I can put on before bed and still feel like I just applied it in the morning when I wake up.

Some people notice a slight tingling sensation when they apply it. I think I remember feeling that at first (I've used it for too many years to remember), but I no longer do. I love the scent but love even more that it is not overpowering. I can smell it when i open the pot but not really when it is on my lips, which is ideal. This is a luxury lip treatment that will leave your lips feeling fantastic.

I think a lot of people are shocked by the price. Don't let it fool you. I use mine everyday, 1-3 times per day and each pot lasts me months (at least 6). I have tried more expensive lip balms than this too, and still this product beats them all.

PS - I did end up trying La Mer's hand cream after having such great success with their lipbalm. While it was definitely a strong contender, it is not the best I have found to date.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/15/2011 5:45:00 PM More reviews by chrissie99

I'm on my second jar of this and I have to say it is fantastic. I wish it came it a stick form. I don't carry it around with me bc I use a spatula and it's difficult to use when I'm out with the kids and I need a quick fix. That is the only con.
Now for the pros:
-Moisturizes like a treatment vs. a just a lip balm
-moisture lasts all day (or night)
-feels luxurious
-a little goes a long way and one jar lasts quite a long time
Now for the ultimate pro: it has healing qualities!!!! I have had eczema my entire life. I get it all over my body and face especially above my upper lip (up to my nose) and on my hands. When I use my La Mer lip balm, I dab it on my lips and above my upper lip and whatever remains I use on the eczema on my hands. It's a miracle worker! The eczema above my lips is completely gone as well as the eczema on my fingers. I have been searching for something like this my entire life! Now that I've found it, I will never be without it.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/31/2011 3:27:00 PM More reviews by Someone1

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This is a great lip balm. Luxurious package, great sweet minty smell, gorgeous texture (just right, not too light, not too heavy), moisturises for a long time and leaves my lips satisfied (which is quite a difficult task). I just wish it wasn't so pricey.

rated 1 of 5 on 5/9/2011 4:55:00 PM More reviews by LianneN

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine Eyes: Blue

Over priced minty lip balm. If you suffer from dry lips don't bother. It tastes nice, thats it. Vaseline is better! Rather spend money on Elizabeth arden 8 hour cream/ stick or Clinique's repairwear intensive lip treatment.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/3/2011 4:18:00 PM More reviews by beautysnob

It does its job. Lips moist and soft.. what more can I say? :)

rated 5 of 5 on 4/20/2011 6:14:00 PM More reviews by edelk

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

this is extremely expensive, actually shamefully expensive at 37 which is why I waited until I had some birthday vouchers to pay for it but I absolutely love this. It is a very elegant silver topped pot and you don't need very much. But I have used a lot of lip balms and this makes your lips so soft that I never have to reapply during the day. It also plumps them up and when I wear this I never wear any lipstick during the day because it looks so nice on its own, it makes your lips look soft, very smooth. I hate to say it but I would re-purchase again (even though I would never admit to anyone that I did) but, have to say, it is ridiculously expensive

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/1/2011 2:30:00 AM More reviews by aksaiyo

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

*****IMPORTANT: <--- please read this, even if you are going to skip everything else!
I know it seems tempting, but it's NOT their cheapest product by the unit. Here's proof:
La Mer Lip Balm: $45 / 0.32oz = $140.63 /oz
Creme de la Mer: $135/ 1oz
You see that? It's more expensive than the famous Creme de la Mer itself! Yah, just so you know :)
*******

If it's so expensive, why did I buy it? It's because my staple DHC Lip Cream is actually even more expensive per ounce too -_-
DHC Lip Cream: $7.50/ 0.05oz= $150/oz
fml. I go through a tube a month, I might as well get the La Mer then.

Now, on to the real thing. I've only owned it for 3 days so far, but I though recording my thoughts as I go will probably make for a better review.

Texture:
I can categorize lip balm textures into waxy (Burt's Bees) , oily (Kiehl's), and creamy (DHC Lip Cream), sticky (Clinique Superbalm Lip Treatment). Creamy is my favorite texture to wear during the day becuase it feels luxurious on. Sticky is my favorite for nighttime because it stays on well (I unconciously lick my lips all the time). This falls between waxy and creamy, leaning on the creamy side. Like all creamy lip balms, this smooshes quite easily, so they don't take a lot of effort to apply. If you swipe too hard, you'll make a little dent in balm. This lip balm has a great texture, creamy enough to feel super smooth on the lips, wet enough to feel moisturized, and thick enough to layer up or use under lipsticks without thinning the color much. It doesn't give lips a shiny glossy look at all, lips just look moisturized and dewy.
Scent:
All I detect is the minty scent with a hint of vanilla-y sweetness to it. Don't worry, it in no way smells cheap like cotton candy or lip smackers.
Taste:
I actually just picked up the lip balm and applied some of this to my tongue (not recommended). It simply tastes sweet, with a bit normal lip balm aftertaste, but you really have to lick of a good thick layer for that to happen.
Lasting Power:
It doesn't last ages, but it seemed to last longer than your average lip balm. Since it just arrived and I've been obsessively applying it, I haven't had a chance to find out how long lips stay comfortably moisturized after it wears off.

EDIT 5/2/2011:
It's been a full month, so I can talk about it's moisturizing abilities quite comfortably. I'm really liking it! I've also burned through this quite quickly. Here's a picture of it new and unused:
And now a picture of it after one month:
You can even see the dark patch that indicates I'm not too far from the bottom! If I had to guess, I think the lowest point would be a bit below where the screw top ridges end. That would be more than half way down into the pot! :/ There still plenty on the sides, and to be truthful, I've also been using it as a cuticle cream.

Anyways, over the past month, I've really come to appreciate it's scent and taste. I look forward to putting on my lip balm and feel sad if I leave my room without it (even if I have spare random lip balms lying at the bottom of my bag). Lasting power wise, I feel quite comfortable with just applying it around twice a day, once a day on my super dry constantly licked lips is not quite enough. I'd say once a day would be enough if you aren't a balmaholic who lick lips constantly though.
Edit 1/17/2012:
I've finally finished every last bit of this lip balm. I've repurchased and it is on its way to me right now. (PS. If you are ordering from their website, wait until some type of holiday, they have really nice "luxury" sized samples then) :D

13 out of 13 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 2/13/2011 1:56:00 PM More reviews by SR19

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Lovely texture and great moisturising results.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 1/15/2011 4:38:00 AM More reviews by raenamercedi

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

This lip balm is very expensive at $45.00. I would not mind paying this amount for a lip balm that delivered amazing results, but my results from this lip balm were far from amazing. This lip balm is highly emollient and moisturizing, but I have found similar results using lip balm that are less than one third of the price that I paid for this one.
The one thing that I do love about this lip balm is its taste. Several hours after application I can still taste a faint sweet mint flavor on my lips.
I do not mind the jar packaging for a lip balm, because I use this lip balm only in the morning and the evenings after washing my hands, but I do agree that a tube style packaging is more hygienic.