November 23, 2014 | 2015 users online

Lips - NARS - Velvet Matte Lip Pencil in Dragon Girl

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/2/2009 5:47:00 PM More reviews by LelaViavonie

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I just picked this up from Nordstroms and OMG.. I LOVE THIS RED! I wear alot of classic reds and at first I thought it was going to be too bright but then I decided to try it for the heck of it.. WOW.. its perfect on my tan skin! Its not pink.. and looks like a true cherry red on me.

I tried this on this morning and I have had a burger, soda, cupcake and a salad.. and it hasnt budged! It dosent dry my lips out and im lovin it!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/23/2009 11:44:00 PM More reviews by lauralikes

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Other, Other, Warm Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Amazing texture. it's a nice matte that doesnt feel drying at all. staying power is great. the color is very pigmented, one light stroke already gives amazing color pay off
i really love these pencils, the formula is genius.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/7/2009 1:32:00 PM More reviews by ainsleym

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This is my all time favourite red lipstick. Beautiful texture, stays put for hours and is a real show stopper, especially if you have a decent lip size. Not for shrinking voilets but if you want to wow this is a winner. Go get!

rated 5 of 5 on 5/1/2009 2:50:00 PM More reviews by yasmineswe

Nars Velvet Matte Lip Pencil in "Dragon girl" is a vibrant, blue based red lip color in the form of a pencil/crayon, which leaves a smooth and very pigmented finish! Since the texture is quite dry and very matte, I recommend exfoliating and moisturizing lips well before applying (but really...that goes for any lipcolor in any shape or form). I would also recommend applying the product on top of a non-greasy base (meaning - not DIRECTLY applied on top of lip balm, vaseline etc) for maximum staying power. If used with a thin layer of (e.g. mattifying) powder as a base/regular lip primer, it applies evenly and stays put with no smudging for hours! The texture is what I would call "non-creamy" but the product applies just as well as a regular creamy lipstick, it is non-drying on the lips and has a unique velvety matte finish which looks absolutely flawless after just one application. Also, this color is just as pigmented as any given Nars or MAC lipstick out there

I find that the deep, vibrant red color is flattering for all skin tones and I personally (olive skin tone) find this color easier to pull off than the warmer, orange-based red color of the Velvet Matte Lip Pencil in "Red Square". Definitely my favorite red lip color along with MAC's Lady Danger (closer to the color of "Red Square" but a creamy lipstick and much brighter!) and Ruby Woo - and I think all three products are must-haves for any fan of red lipstick!

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/15/2009 6:23:00 AM More reviews by famous12

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I found love with this stunning lip pencil. Dragon Girl is a gorgeous blue based, vivid red lipstick pencil. I am so happy that i read the reviews here at MUA and decided to try Nars Velvet Matte Lip Pencils. Dragon Girl is my absolute favorite of all the 17 colors. Dragon Girl is a more improved,sophisticated version of Mac's Ruby Woo. Dragon Girl is currently my HG red lipstick. I will continue to buy this chubby little wonder!!!!

rated 4 of 5 on 3/12/2009 5:33:00 AM More reviews by HilaryofPoitiers

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I love the texture and the finish of Nars Velvet pencils: matte, non-drying and really long-lasting but if you have Ruby Woo you don't need Dragon Girl. I prefer DG over RW b/c I find it more easy to apply and if I have to rec only one, I'll rec DG.
On me (NW20, brown hair, green eyes) DG is a flattering cherry red (very cool). I like the pinky undertone (RW is a vivid true red on me), that's why I don't regret my purchase!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/2/2008 5:53:00 PM More reviews by Mirtika

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

For reference: I'm a Latina, middle-aged, NC44 coloring--

This is a gorgeous color on me. A cooler toned red, vibrant and very glamourous. I like the velvet matte's dense and smooth texture. Someone mentioned it tends to run, and yes, it does. If this was less expensive (come on, 24 bucks???) and didn't run, it would get five lippies for the faboo color and easy application.

Very flattering to my olive med-dark tone. Has a bit of a graying effect on teeth, I note.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/23/2008 1:27:00 AM More reviews by sachitahara

Great blue-based red, and oh so vibrant. Looks great on my NC30-35 Asian skintone. I'm not much of a lipstick girl, but I'm glad I tried this! I layered Benefit's BeneTint underneath, put this on, and blotted twice. I had to reapply ONCE the entire day, and it was really because I wanted to, not because I needed it (mind you, I rode the bus, drank ginger ale out of a straw, and ate a hamburger, and my lips looked fine after all of that!). One of the greatest things about this pencil is that I can kiss my boyfriend without it smearing all over him!

I love the matte texture. The consistency is SO creamy, which surprised me because it's a pencil. Yes, it probably needs sharpening more often, but this doesn't bother me too much. The only thing that bothers me is that it IS a bit drying, but I did wear this three days in a row, over a stain.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/16/2008 10:24:00 PM More reviews by monakhd

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Green

As a Mac Addict, it was hard for me to accept that Nars hit it big with their velvet matte lip pencils! Dragon girl is the luxuriously smooth and quick to apply version of Mac's Ruby Woo. It's blue-based, matte and strangely feels like it's name... velvet! I dont layer anything on this and i have no problems with drying, bleeding, etc. (I'm more of a matte kinda girl). You need one of these-even if you dont get the courage to buy dragon girl! You wont regret it. I am collecting every shade!

rated 4 of 5 on 1/2/2008 11:41:00 PM More reviews by shazyx786

LOVE THIS COLOR!!! I use this when i want that bright blue-based gwen stefani red lip. The texture is divine....just make sure ur lips are moisturized when u wear this. Its not too matte or drying, especially when i have a lil bit of my caudalie lip conditioner underneath. I have to use a lipliner when i wear this or else it bleeds so i took one lippie off for that. But an otherwise great product!