April 24, 2014 | 1064 users online

Polishes - OPI - Black Onyx

rated 4 of 5 on 5/25/2007 2:55:00 AM More reviews by huongmoo

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

First layer looked very streaky but the second layer went on like a dream! The color is very smooth and shiny all by itself. Great product.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/13/2007 5:28:00 PM More reviews by cosmokid

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

I have to admit, when I put the first coat on I was a little worried. It was watery and streaky and I thought I was going to have to do at least 3 coats to get a decent manicure. But, amazingly, the second coat went on like a dream and i was left with gorgeous black, shiny nails. I always reapply a top coat every second day and even after a week there is no sign of chipping or even wear on my nail tips. I think reapplying a top coat is essential with this one, as it can tend to go a bit dull and keeping it shiny makes your nail tips look like they have been dipped in black latex.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/22/2007 2:39:00 AM More reviews by NAS216

Finally, a high quality black cream! Black Onyx is an absolute staple color for me. It's very useful for layering underneath other shades to deepen them, but I generally wear it alone. With SV Ridgefiller basecoat & SV Top Coat, a mani only gets tip wear on day 3 and has no noticible chips until day 5 or so. As with most dark shades, 3 coats are recommended to get the full depth of the color.

rated 3 of 5 on 4/9/2007 3:54:00 AM More reviews by T4ngerine

love this black. not that big fan of the pro-wide brush though and i don't know if it was just my bottle but mine was a bit thick and gooey... but other than that... it BARELY chipped and it's been on my nails for a week now.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/31/2007 8:31:00 PM More reviews by CyberneticGhostofChristma

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I just bought this tonight. My first application came out extremely watery. After wiping the brush, the polish went on streaky and it was hard to prevent it from running into my cuticles. After I let that dry, the second coat went on smooth and "creamy." It dried to a shiny finish but not patent leather shiny, more rubber rain boots shiny. It's my first black nail polish. I normally wear OPI LPAD but I wanted to try a true black. I have short nails so I think I can pull it off.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/6/2007 2:00:00 PM More reviews by littlesunshine

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This is staple in my collection for layering. I am not yet brave enough to wear it alone, but it is a great tool for making other colours stand out. It is very nice with China Glaze Ruby Pumps layered over top.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/1/2007 7:11:00 PM More reviews by zombiekitten87

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Olive, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

Comparable to Chanel's Black Satin or Bourjois Dinner in Paris.
Creamy black, not jet black, more of a wet shine than a vinyl shine, so it's classier and more sophisticated. Wear it on SHORT nails, please, this isn't the Elvira polish. Fingers and toes, works well, and, of course, if you know how to do detailed nail work, it's good for that.
Wear is tolerable if you use a top coat. Decent one coat coverage, but two coats helps it wear longer.
Go for it.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 12/15/2006 9:52:00 PM More reviews by ohthatgirl

Black Onyx is a rich true black: no grey tones (even with the first coat), and no shimmer. I like this shade alot though I wish mine didn't come the "pro-wide brush" because it was harder to control application. Two coats were completely opaque, and streak free. I always add a iridescent or glitter topcoat instead of wearing this all by its lonesome. I'll have to work my way up to that. LOL! Overall, easy application, excellent wear but nothing special as far as black polishes go.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/26/2006 5:21:00 AM More reviews by rob0t

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I love this black. It is a very solid black, no shimmer or undertones, which is exactly what I want from a black nailpolish. I use 2 coats to get it completely opaque & it stays glossy for the first day or so before fading into a matte black (which I still really like). This stuff does chip within 2 days or so, but I'll admit that I dont apply a base coat or top coat. I dont really mind the chipping though, because I like the way chipped nails look! It also has very long staying power, probably lasting 3+ weeks if I could only stop picking at my nails!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/7/2006 2:37:00 PM More reviews by deweydrop

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

OPI Black Onyx is a perfect cream black. It really does look like a black onyx stone on my nails! I highly reccommend a base coat with this...and even after I removed the polish, my nails were kinda 'grey' for a while. But hey - it's black polish...you run the risk! I think this is a very classy black color (no shimmer/glitter), and was found perfectly acceptable at my desk job. I got this for retail price on eBay...only place I could find it.