OPI Black Onyx

4.1

on 9/23/2007 1:59:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Pure black cream, and love the ProWide brush. I don't really wear black polish, but I love painting my nails with a certain color and then paint black diagonally. I wouldn't repurchase this, as I found out that China Glaze Liquid Leather is blacker and shinier.

on 8/26/2007 10:18:00 PM

For those who love the black polish trend, this lasts far more than its expensive counterpart that launched the trend (Chanel)....This doesn't chip as easily as the Chanel polish, and the black is a true black. A good solid black that really lasts.

on 6/19/2007 6:10:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

Love this polish! As has been stated, it is a perfect, creamy, true black -- no shimmer, no glitter, non-metallic. The finish is gorgeous and, worn with top coat, I end up removing the polish before it shows any significant signs of wear. By about day 4 I have some barely noticeable tip wear and by day 5 I'm usually ready to see naked nails again, so I've never seen this truly chip. I always use a base coat, so I don't know about staining but I presume that it would. Looks fantastic in the summer with a tan!

on 5/25/2007 2:55:00 AM

Skin: Other, Tan, Not Sure

First layer looked very streaky but the second layer went on like a dream! The color is very smooth and shiny all by itself. Great product.

on 5/13/2007 5:28:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I have to admit, when I put the first coat on I was a little worried. It was watery and streaky and I thought I was going to have to do at least 3 coats to get a decent manicure. But, amazingly, the second coat went on like a dream and i was left with gorgeous black, shiny nails. I always reapply a top coat every second day and even after a week there is no sign of chipping or even wear on my nail tips. I think reapplying a top coat is essential with this one, as it can tend to go a bit dull and keeping it shiny makes your nail tips look like they have been dipped in black latex.

on 4/22/2007 2:39:00 AM

Finally, a high quality black cream! Black Onyx is an absolute staple color for me. It's very useful for layering underneath other shades to deepen them, but I generally wear it alone. With SV Ridgefiller basecoat & SV Top Coat, a mani only gets tip wear on day 3 and has no noticible chips until day 5 or so. As with most dark shades, 3 coats are recommended to get the full depth of the color.

on 4/9/2007 3:54:00 AM

love this black. not that big fan of the pro-wide brush though and i don't know if it was just my bottle but mine was a bit thick and gooey... but other than that... it BARELY chipped and it's been on my nails for a week now.

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

I just bought this tonight. My first application came out extremely watery. After wiping the brush, the polish went on streaky and it was hard to prevent it from running into my cuticles. After I let that dry, the second coat went on smooth and "creamy." It dried to a shiny finish but not patent leather shiny, more rubber rain boots shiny. It's my first black nail polish. I normally wear OPI LPAD but I wanted to try a true black. I have short nails so I think I can pull it off.

This is staple in my collection for layering. I am not yet brave enough to wear it alone, but it is a great tool for making other colours stand out. It is very nice with China Glaze Ruby Pumps layered over top.

Skin: Oily, Olive, Neutral

Comparable to Chanel's Black Satin or Bourjois Dinner in Paris.
Creamy black, not jet black, more of a wet shine than a vinyl shine, so it's classier and more sophisticated. Wear it on SHORT nails, please, this isn't the Elvira polish. Fingers and toes, works well, and, of course, if you know how to do detailed nail work, it's good for that.
Wear is tolerable if you use a top coat. Decent one coat coverage, but two coats helps it wear longer.
Go for it.