August 28, 2014 | 981 users online

Cleansers - MAC - Cleanse Off Oil

rated 4 of 5 on 11/27/2012 6:53:00 AM More reviews by Ravishingx3

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I've repurchased this product about 3-4 times. I love it because it dissolves all my makeup in a matter of seconds- from things as light as water based foundations to MUFE Mat Velvet +. To use this I place 2 pumps of the oil in my dry clean hands and rub them together. Then I glide my hands over my whole entire face, including the eyes (keeping them nice and tight of course). I do this for 10-20 seconds so that all my makeup breaks down. The first time you do this it's going to feel soooo disgusting because it feels like all your makeup has turned into paint sludge and it's hovering all over your skin. Don't worry you'll get used to it! Then I'll take some luke warm water and rinse everything off. The oily solution turns into a milky cleanser and everything comes off with great ease. Sometimes if I need more makeup removal (rare) I'll add in one more pump and massage it over my face and rinse. AFTER I'm done using this I'll follow up with a cleanser for choice in order to clean my skin. As a personal tip it is IMPORTANT to understand that makeup remover is NOT a substitute for cleanser!!!!

- I would say this oil fairs more on the drying side for me but it's easily fixable with moisturizer.
- I have tried to use organic jojoba oil as a makeup remover but it doesn't beat this product. The glory of this product is that it goes from an oil to a milk upon contact with water. That I know of no other cleanser can do this!
- Yes it is pricey and I live in Canada to boot but it anything that I put on my face that is of quality if worth the extra dollar.
- I am acne prone and this product when followed with a 2ndary cleanser does not lead me to believe it is responsible for breakouts.
- As an acne prone person I enjoy this b/c it glides over my face easily and doesn't irritate sore bumps like other mu removers do.
- Will repurchase but interested in the shu umera one to!

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 11/22/2012 8:03:00 AM More reviews by waterlilly26

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

Once i got over the weird idea of rubbing oil all over my face, lol I found that this is a good cleanser. I rub this all over on a dry, full face of makeup, then wet my hands, rub some more and rinse and repeat, takes off all makeup gently and leaves my skin feeling clean, no oil residue at all. I really enjoy using this product, there's no pulling or tugging on my eyes, and no dry(not oily either, just clean) feeling afterwards. I follow up with a toner and moisterizer. My skin feels great. Really happy I decided to try this.

rated 3 of 5 on 11/3/2012 12:14:00 PM More reviews by kubskin

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I have used Mac Cleanse Off Oil off and on over the years. I ran out of my Shiseido Ultimate Cleansing Oil and thought I would go back to Mac because I just love the smell! No, not lavender but vanilla cake batter - yum. Anyway I have had problems with breakouts all the time on my chin and got them under control with this great line from Agape Oils (agapeoils.com) and when I started back with the cleanse off oil, I broke out. After all these years using the product thinking there were other culprits breaking me out and it was this instead. How ironic. Still love the smell but went back to Shiseido since I use their water resistant sun screen and that takes the makeup and sunscreen all off. And the Shiseido oil was less expensive which surprised me.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/29/2012 7:08:00 PM More reviews by misspolyglot

I swear on this product and couldn't live without it. It is hands down the best makeup remover I have ever tried. The only one that comes close IMHO is Helena Rubinstein 'All Mascaras' but that is for eye makeup only and therefore can get quite expensive if applied to the entire face.
MAC Cleanse Off Oil is simple to use and two pumps are usually enough to remove all of my makeup (I wear foundation, powder, blush and medium heavy eye makeup on a daily basis). I wear waterproof mascara and with this cleanser I never had any problems removing it in a few seconds! Before I discovered this I was constantly worrying about rubbing too much and giving myself wrinkles around the eyes! After using the cleanser on my entire face I simply wash it off with water.
I have combination skin and had doubts about the oily texture affecting me or causing breakouts but nothing like that ever happened.
This cleanser is perfect! I will never use anything else unless MAC discontinues it!

rated 2 of 5 on 10/17/2012 10:28:00 PM More reviews by BonjourMaria

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This was the first cleanse off oil that I invested in since my sunscreen is waterproof and I needed an oil to remove it. This is, hands down, the best in removing makeup. It smells great and it did a great job taking off my sunscreen, concealer powder and even waterproof mascara! Unfortunately, I had been using this for two weeks when I realized that it's the culprit behind my breakouts. It's sad because this worked wonders in removing my makeup but I just can't afford to have pimples erupting here and there. As of now, I'm using Origins' Cleansing Oil and thankfully, it doesn't break me out. Bad thing about the Origins' one though, it doesn't take off mascara as well as MAC's. I still have a lot of the MAC Cleanse Off Oil left and I use it to remove eye makeup. Crazy enough, I use two different cleansing oils; one for face and one for eyes. Someday I wish to find a multipurpose cleansing oil for my face. Status: Still Hunting.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 10/14/2012 11:58:00 PM More reviews by cgw1

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

At first, I loved this product. It removes all my makeup, including my smokey eye makeup!! However, it made my eyes burn/water like crazy after using it even though I was as careful as I could be to not get it in my eye. My eyes are very sensitive and this stuff irritated them like crazy. The first couple of days my skin looked better (I used this to take off my makeup and a cleanser afterwards). However, very quickly my skin condition deteriorated. I have pimples in places that I've never gotten pimples before. This stuff has clogged my skin, and I am very upset about it because it has gotten so bad that I think it will leave scarring and will take a while to heal. I would not recommend this to people with sensitive, acne-prone skin. I don't know how I'm supposed to recover from this, all I know is that this is going to MAC asap (I gave it 2 weeks. Terrible idea. Wish I had never tried this product out).

rated 5 of 5 on 9/19/2012 9:53:00 PM More reviews by palexisb

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Dark, Warm Hair: Red, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

I'm about to buy my sixth bottle of this make-up remover. It is absolutely the best one I've used, and I always end up coming back to this one. I actually came to it a few of years ago, when my regular Lancome counter was out of Huile Douceur. Since I've been a moderate M.A.C. user for about 15 years, I figured that their makeup removing cleanser would be at least decent enough to remove waterproof and stubborn long-wearing product. This was a winner. Tbh, I wasn't sure if it would remove all my layers of make-up (sunscreen, foundation primer, liquid foundation, concealer and powder--artfully buffed in and blended, might I add) without drying my skin out. M.A.C. pleasantly surprised me, and it's almost $20 cheaper than its Lancome counterpart !

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/4/2012 10:19:00 AM More reviews by Lomelindi

Okay, after using this for a week, I like this product a lot but I don't think it's the best thing since sliced bread.

At first, I was thrilled about how much product you get for your money (a little pricey at $30), but then I learned that you need 2-3 pumps to cover your whole face so you'll probably burn through a whole bottle in 3 months. I do like the pump though, it's easy to use and doesn't dispense too much product.

To use it, I use dry hands to massage 2 pumps of oil all over my dry, made-up face. I then wet my hands slightly and keep massaging the oil until all makeup has been dissolved (takes about a minute). Then I just wash it off with water and follow up with another cleanser (not always) if I don't feel "clean" enough. This cleanser does take longer to take off my eye makeup than I'm used to, but it WILL eventually dissolve everything (liquid eyelier, waterproof mascara, etc.). Just be patient!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/25/2012 10:33:00 PM More reviews by SaraCee07

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Grey

Wow! How have I not discovered this earlier?? Takes off every trace of my makeup first time. Smells AMAZING and I love the fact it's an oil that turns into a milky cleanser when mixed with water. It just feels pampering to me to massage the oil into my face and it feels like it's really getting my face super clean! The thing I don't like is the pump bottle, for an oil I think it's too messy to try and pump it onto my fingers. Other than that though, it's great. Doesn't make my face feel dry after using it, and I feel like I don't even need to use a different cleanser after because my face is already so clean! I can't rave enough about this!!

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 8/20/2012 9:59:00 PM More reviews by TrainedDreamer

I wear a lot of long-wear make up & so I really needed something that'd be able to dissolve it all at night. This however, was not the perfect solution.

Pros:
-Affordable.
-Comes in a cute pump bottle.
-Easily removes make up, even long-wear/transfer resistant foundation & waterproof make up.

Cons:
-Smells strongly of lavender. Many will love that, but I hate lavender & definitely don't want fragrance in my skincare (it irritates senstive skin). Plus, lavender is bad for skin cells.
-Stung & irritated my eyes no matter how hard I tried to keep it out.
-Broke my skin out like hell on earth! If you are acne-prone, I'd steer clear of this. I haven't broken out this badly since 2010. My skin just doesn't play nicely with oil.

4 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No