November 24, 2014 | 1823 users online

Toners - Bragg's Apple Cider Vinegar

• Price: $

rated 5 of 5 on 2/4/2014 7:00:00 PM More reviews by snapeyouinhalf

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I started using ACV as a toner (50/50 ACV/water) about two weeks ago. Full disclosure: I also went back to oil cleansing and taking evening primrose oil at exactly the same time, but I really feel that that combination has done wonders.
About six months ago, I made an aspirin/honey/yogurt mask and had a TERRIBLE reaction. I don't suffer from massive breakouts, but the bottom half of both cheeks were completely covered in clusters of pimples when I woke up the next morning. I'd used that mask recipe before and never broken out from it, but that was the only thing that could have done it. I tried everything I could think of to get my skin to start healing, and had a little success with a salicylic acid cleanser, but nowhere near the results I've had with oil cleansing and ACV. In just under a week, all pimples had gone down, redness has faded completely, and I've had no new pimples. Still waiting to see if the blackheads that developed with the breakout will subside (I've never had them on my cheeks before), but I'm definitely going to keep using ACV toner.
I normally feel that a week or two is definitely not enough time to be able to review something accurately, but like I said, I've seen more progress in the last two weeks than in the last six months. Maybe it wouldn't work as well without oil cleansing and EPO, but it's definitely a key piece in my skincare routine.

rated 3 of 5 on 1/25/2014 3:30:00 PM More reviews by yellowease

I usually have very clear skin with a couple of problematic areas (my chin when I'm hormonal and sometimes my eyebrows). I decided to try out apple cider vinegar because I've heard it's a holy grail item. I bought it for almost 5 bucks and I was pleased with the overall price considering it was raw, unfiltered with the mother.

I used it on and off for a month and I have experimented with it. At first I diluted 50/50 in diluted water (no I did not use regular tap water) and used it as an overall toner. I also tried to apply it directly to problem spots but found it was too harsh for my skin. I also mixed it with diluted water and witch hazel but saw no difference. I also ingested it as some reviewers suggested and that lasted about a week and the only difference I experienced was less viscosity in my morning phlegm. (Sorry if that was TMI).

I'm glad noone else had my problem but boy it smelled bad. Not even because it smelled similar to socks but it made my bathroom smell and once I woke up to shower.. well needless to say I could not make it past the scent.

In regards to my skin, I have heard the theory that your skin purges before it gets better. I noticed cystic acne on my chin for the first time in a year and I noticed the acne around my eyebrows to basically create a "halo" around my forehead. Still, I proceeded to use it in hopes for promising results. I stopped using it a couple nights ago because well at this point my skin is hyperpigmented, my problematic spots were not improving and I did not want to do further damage.

I have used it on my hair and have seen how clarifying it works! I don't wash my hair everyday and when I do I make sure it's SLS free so anytime I can get something clarifying I am all for it.

I don't think I will ever repurchase as a beauty essential but I'm glad that it has benefited others.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/17/2014 3:09:00 PM More reviews by artsaves

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I use this for an array of reasons. I use it for my hair, skin, taking it internally, the list continues to grow.
I have very thick, wavy, and long hair. It's hard for me to clean it thoroughly so I use some acv as a clarifier to help rid my hair of build up and it leaves my hair feeling fresh, soft, and shiny.
For skin, I dilute it in a bit of water and spot treat any blemishes that I sometimes get around the time of the month. The acv helps reduce inflammation and helps to dry up the blemishes.
I don't always take it internally but the health benefits are great when you do. It helps to detox your system, it's great for digestion, and it can even help aid in weight loss. If you look up the benefits of taking acv internally, you will be surprised at how many there are. I try to drink this everyday but sometimes the taste is too much for me! I don't mind the smell though.
Overall, acv is a staple in my house. I love how effective it is for so many things and you can't beat the cost. A bottle of Bragg's is about 5 bucks and it lasts me a couple of months at a time.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/5/2014 2:29:00 PM More reviews by prettypollyperkins

You need to dilute this ACV before using - it is extremely strong! I will keep buying it again and again. It's so versatile it's unreal. My own experience with ACV is that it lightens my dyed hair, and that used to be my main reason for using it. Used diluted it will gradually lift any build up in my porous ends. But you can use it neat to speed up the process (be careful - it should be used on damp hair or you will most likely suffer damage, and don't leave on too long). One benefit of using it diluted well as an occasional rinse before or after applying conditioner is that it also seems to smooth the cuticles and it makes the scalp less oily, but I use it in rotation with other rinses (rosemary and amla). I would not use it more than every few days for fear of over drying my scalp, drying out my hair or fading my hair dye unintentionally. Another use is to calm down insect bites. Diluted, it reduces the inflammation fast and the urge to scratch bites goes away as it takes away the itch. It's also a great occasional gargle so if you have a sore throat try it (diluted at least 1:6 of course...). Just make sure you brush your teeth - and maybe chew some mint! - afterwards as it's not enamel-friendly. By all means try it on your face occasionally but don't think it's something you can use neat or every day - those people who've used it day after day on their skin expecting miracles then complain that it's crap baffle me. Finally, for all thrush-sufferers try it - diluted heavily - as a douche before you rush out and buy medication. Sorry if it's TMI for you, but I felt I had to share...

rated 5 of 5 on 1/5/2014 12:16:00 AM More reviews by ncashen

I agree with other reviewers about the wonders of natural Apple Cider Vinegar (with the "mother.") This is one of my go-to product for personal care and in the kitchen. I've read extensively about the uses and benefits of ACV.

Here are some of the uses. I'll end this review with precautions and advice for how to use the product.

1. Dilute 50/50 with water and put into an empty plastic squirt or spray bottle for a hair rinse applied to both hair and scalp after shampooing and/or conditioning. Once my hair dries, I can't smell the vinegar anymore. You may also apply it after shampooing then rinse it out as you would a conditioning rinse. Avoid contact with eyes.

2. Dilute 50/50 with water and use dab it on a cotton ball as an astringent for acne and other skin problems. Avoid contact with eyes.

3. Drink diluted and brush your teeth after you drink it. The ACV is not good for tooth enamel. Brush and/or rinse in order to remove it from your teeth after drinking it.

4. Mix it with Aztec clay powder for a purifying facial and body mud mask.

I would be careful using ACV. It has great benefits. Keep it away from eyes. Brush your teeth after it has been in your mouth. Dilute it with water. Be careful about mixing it with other substances, except for Aztec clay. The vinegar may react with other liquids.

I like the old fashioned glass bottle with the plastic screw-on lid. I keep ACV in my refrigerator. I use one bottle for food preparation and a separate bottle for personal care. That is true of coconut oil as well. I have two separate jars.

ACV is very reasonably priced and widely available at health food stores, grocery stores, and other retailers.

8 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 1/5/2014 12:02:00 AM More reviews by hartlisa

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Drink it, and your skin will improve.
Use it with the Aztec Clay mask, and your skin will GLOW. The fact that you can also use it to remove skin tags and moles is unreal. I'm in love with ACV.
I've been drinking it straight up for a while now (Just one spoon in the AM) and using it in masks, but I will try it as a toner more often thanks to your reviews.
For those of you who haven't tried it, make sure you get the organic kind 'with the mother' - the other stuff is diluted/mass produced. Go for Braggs or Eden or similar. x

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 12/13/2013 11:42:00 AM More reviews by balancedbeauty

This stuff is the bomb. I have a mild case of acne, there's always at least one spot on my face and tons and tons of clogged pores. Luckily the clogs haven't erupted into full blown severe acne, my worst case scenario is 5 zits all across.
Since i've started using it as a toner (2 parts water, 1 part ACV) i've noticed that the clogs just disappear. It didn't purge off or anything, just dissolved.
But what really impressed me was its potency and effectiveness as a spot treatment.
I use half a capful of this stuff with a dab of water. I just eyeball it. 4x more ACV than water is what you want.
I dip a cotton pad or q-tip in it and wipe over any areas and zits. It'll start to burn but you'll see that the pimples will start to flatten.
If you have a mega huge annoying one though, feel free to use it straight, but ONLY on that one. Not even on its area. Just on that one pimple.
This is because of it's acidity and AHA (Alpha Beta Hydroxy acids) properties. It goes in the pore and does its job.
If you feel a hot sensation, don't be alarmed, it's just because its a really powerful acid. Which is why, don't mess around with it. Avoid using straight. If you're not careful it will literally burn your skin off.
Another perk is that it lightened some of my post acne marks, mostly the dark black-gray ones. It will also bleach sun/age spots, refine pores, exfoliate, and surprisingly, hydrate the skin.
When i use this toner, which is not everyday i might add, my face feels a tad bit more oily and plump. But at the same time it absorbs excess oil and shine too. Its hard to explain but you just have to try it and see for yourself! Just make sure you're not over at your boyfriends', it stinks!

rated 5 of 5 on 12/6/2013 1:20:00 PM More reviews by VitaminMC

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I have suffered from acne for quite a few years. When I hit 25 and it still wasnt letting up I decided to look into more unconventional ways of battle. I picked this up with the intentions of using it as a toner and to add it to my Aztec Clay masks once a week. I tried it and didnt get the results so many had raved about. It sat on my bathroom counter for about a week when I ran across an article saying that taken orally it helps balance the PH within the body and the enzymes help kill off bad bacteria. In desperation I filled a shot glass, added it to a glass of water and choked it down. Did that 3 times in the first day and I swear I woke up the next morning and it was already working. The cystic acne I had was no longer inflamed. and within a week of taking it 3 times a day it was all gone! I thought it might have been a fluke so I stopped it for about 2 days and the acne creeped back up. This in conjunction with drinking TONS of water throughout the day has done what no prescription creams or pills could do. CHEERS!

14 out of 16 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 11/25/2013 5:59:00 AM More reviews by NiecyBaby

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Medium Brown, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Kinky, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I never would have thought to use apple cider vinegar for anything other than making BBQ sauce. ACV helps restore the PH Balance of your skin and hair. Now its become a regular part of my skincare and haircare regimen!

For my skin, I've diluted this and used it as a toner. I used to have a problem with acne bumps that would really itch and burn. That's almost nonexistent now because of ACV. Just today I had 2 of those burning bumps pop up on my cheeks. I dipped a q-tip into straight ACV and now not only is the burning gone but so are the bumps. No commercial brand acne product has ever worked this fast.

As far as my hair, I've been using this as a rinse just like most people. I mixed equal parts of ACV with water and put it in a spray bottle. I spray it directly on my scalp, massage it in and saturate my hair with it and let it sit for 5 minutes. My 4a curls instantly pop! And what's better, this is the only thing that's been able to get rid of my dandruff. Before this I was using Head and Shoulders Green Apple Shampoo. I'm not saying that shampoo didn't work but it dried my hair out to no end and didn't cure my dandruff. The second I stopped using it, it would return. I've gone a month without doing ACV rinses and my dandruff never came back. I used to have big white flaky patches on my scalp. And lots of white flakes around my hairline, all of it gone!

Just another tip, I also used this to get rid of a raised mole I had on my arm. I just soaked a cotton ball in ACV and placed it on the mole and taped it down. Let it sit there for 8 hours while I was sleeping. The next day the mole was white in color. I repeated the process again for a few more days and the mole turned black and almost looked like it had a scab over it. Eventually it just came off. No harm, no foul!

Needless to say I'm going to keep using this! Its dirt cheap, last forever and its always nice to know exactly what you're applying to your face and hair.

10 out of 11 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 11/22/2013 7:00:00 PM More reviews by linn116

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I dilute this and use as a toner for my face. It has made a huge difference in my overall complexion. Its more even, brighter, less fine lines, and less acne. I've been using it on and off for years. Great product.