August 23, 2014 | 1755 users online

Sunscreen - Shiseido - Ultimate Sun Protection Lotion SPF 55 PA+++ [DISCONTINUED]

This product has been discontinued

rated 5 of 5 on 6/10/2009 7:52:00 PM More reviews by lt1091

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Black

I've used this sunblock for more than 4 years. It's one of THE BEST sunblock out there. Its goes on light, doesn't leave skin oily, at the same time doesn't dry skin out. I have very sensitive and dry skin. It works wonderfully for my skin. Greatly recommended!!!. Whether you have dry, oily, combo, sensitive....give it a try. You'll love it!! ^_^

rated 5 of 5 on 6/4/2009 7:09:00 PM More reviews by bebepark

I love this sunscreen. Unlike others i have tried this one does not make me look oily! I never leave the house without putting this on. It is not a big bottle but it is fairly expensive, but it is definately worth the money! the packaging is okay, but the cap is a little stiff. Sometimes it is hard to close and the cap gets in the way then i apply the sunscreen, but i would definately buy it again!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/3/2009 9:24:00 PM More reviews by tenderheart003

I am so impressed by this SS. I am on several topical acne medications that make my skin super dry and sensitive. I am also using hydroquinone to fade old scars and so with all of the meds I'm on a high SPF is absolutely necessary. I have run the gamut of drugstore products trying to find an SPF with the following: doesn't sting, doesn't make me oily, doesn't dry my skin out any further, doesn't break me out, doesn't leave a white cast, protects my skin completely. Out of all of the drugstore prods I tried most of them stung and most also made me super oily. The only negative with shiseido's is that it does leave a bit of a white cast on my NW20-25 skin, but I may just apply it a little too liberally as I am so scared of burning. This sunscreen is pretty much perfect, but perfect doesn't come cheap. That considered I will gladly continue to buy this. It also makes the perfect primer for foundation which makes it that much more amazing! You will need a pretty heavy duty cleanser to get it off. I use Boscia Purifying or Soothing cleansing cream along with my rx cleanser.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/23/2009 1:23:00 AM More reviews by ahhhttack

I really like this SS, but I do have to say I liked my Neutrogena more. I switched because of all the uproar about Oxybenzone, but I liked the way my Neutrogena felt and sunk in to my skin, and not to mention the great price. Anyway, the Shiseido is easy to apply and doesn't make me too oily/too dry. Also, I don't break out from it from daily use as long as I wash it off completely every night. However, I think it DOES leave a slight white cast on your skin, though not as bad as some chemical sunscreens. This isn't a big deal for me since I wear foundation over it, though if I were going to an event where there were going to be many photos taken, I'd probably use my old Neutrogena (which I do still use on my arms). I said I'd buy again, but at $38 I'll be keeping my eyes open for a cheaper alternative.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/23/2009 12:57:00 AM More reviews by lindawhite

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This sunscreen is light and it gives my face a smooth finish. Before using this sunscreen, I usually had a shiny T-zone by early afternoon; and now my face looks mattified all day. The fragrance is nice, but slightly strong I think, which eliminates the usual sunscreen smell. I need to soap my face twice in the evening to ensure that the sunscreen is completely washed away before applying a night moisturizer. I really like this sunscreen.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/20/2009 11:06:00 AM More reviews by olelala

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

Sorry, this review is going to be a bit long, but I wanted it to be really informative for people who have been considering Shiseido vs. Sofina Lucent: Being on RAM and glycolic, I knew it was time to get a serious s/s. Knowing nothing about s/s, I consulted the skincare board and realized that Shiseido and Sofina Lucent were the top s/s choices... so at first, I ordered Sofina, and was hugely disappointed - it wasn't that mattifying, and it made my face SO extremely dry, and it also left a white cast. Onto the next popular choice!

I am happy to say that Shiseido SPF 55 Loti has been love from day 1. The reasons I love it:

- I'm an oilslick (I'm talking 4 blotting papers a day) but this one mattifies my skin like nothing else (down to 1 blotting paper/daily).
    - Leaves NO white cast.
    - Doesn't dry out my retinoid-parched skin.
    - Terrific light/watery consistency that is so easy to spread.
    - Works superbly as a primer, to keep my foundation on my face (it works great with EDM!).
    - I am extremely clog-prone, and no clogs with this one!
    - Very water resistant. Which means it requires an oil cleanser to get off, but I've been using an oil cleanser already so no problem here.
    - At 3 oz. for $38USD, this bottle will last forever!
    - I am prone to freckles, and sitting around in the park in intense sunlight with this s/s has not increased them one bit!

Hope this helps someone looking for a new HG s/s. =)

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 5/18/2009 3:17:00 PM More reviews by LoocyWoocy

This is my HG sunscreen. I use this everyday as a base for my foundation. I had previously used Neutrogena, but that made me breakout often. This sunscreen is thin, but effective, you only need a small amount to spread over your face. This product doesn't feel oily and helps mattify my face - I do notice a slight white cast, but since I follow this with foundation it doesn't bother me. After using this product for 2 years, I have never gotten sun burned and my complexion has become more even. This is a waterproof sunblock so it is hard to remove. I use shu uemura oil to first remove all makeup and then follow it up with a clarisonic brush and I have no problems. The packaging is cute, but the top is a little flimsy and can open easily, especially on airplanes. I use this product daily for my face only and the bottle lasts a long time, just over 6 months - which somewhat justifies the $38 price tag.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/9/2009 9:48:00 AM More reviews by gommiebears

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Dark, Cool Hair: Black, Kinky, Fine Eyes: Brown

I have the stereotypical oily face, meaning after 15 minutes of washing my face, my face is an oil slick. I heard about this product for years but never got around to purchasing it because at the time I didn't have a steady source of income. About last week or so I finally broke down and purchase this sunscreen, well it was a kit and I see what the hype is about. I have tried to make Neutrogena sunscreens work for me but my face was not having it. It always burned on my skin no matter what and I always broke out from all Neutrogena sunscreens. This Shiseido sunscreen does mattified the skin but it can dry your skin out, especially when you are in a air-conditioned room and sucks out all of the water from your skin. With this one, I have to follow it with a oil free moisturizer or else my skin will be irritated from the tightness of the skin. I will purchase again no doubt but I might invest the lotion version and cream version of the sunscreen.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/9/2009 3:20:00 AM More reviews by LuvAcoustic

LOVE THIS! I can go out without having to worry about the sun!
    It controls oil and keeps me matte. It actually improves the texture of my skin. It did not give me breakouts. It only takes one drop to cover my entire face! And i love the bottle. People definetly stop and ask
    about it. Haha. Also, i have become a lot lighter and that proves how well this can protect me from the sun!

Ohh make sure you shake this before using it.
    I think that is why some people have not experience the mattifying
    effect this can have.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/4/2009 5:19:00 PM More reviews by Annietwinkletoes

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This has been my HG sunscreen for about 4 years now and something I never fail to recommend.

This doesn't break me out, doesn't cause itching or sensitivity, and doesn't leave a white caste. The finish is matte but doesn't dry my already dry skin. The formula dries quite quickly, making it easy to apply the correct amount for full sun protection. If I don't let it dry fully it also gives enough slip for very smooth foundation application without an additional primer. If I do use a primer, the sunscreen won't interfere with it - no balling up - unlike others I've tried.

I've never had problems removing this with a good cleanser. Cetaphil or Spectrojel won't do the job, but anything that removes your makeup will take this off, too.

My skin is dry and while I've tried the cream version I prefer this one. The cream is not moisturizing enough for me to skip moisturizer and is the same price as the lotion for less product.

My only complaint about this sunscreen is that it would benefit from a higher pdf.

My skin: dry, sensitive, prone to product induced acne but not cysts or blackheads. ppp