Philosophy When Hope Is Not Enough - Serum

3.5

water (aqua), glyceryl polymethacrylate, pentylene glycol, propylene glycol, glycerin, butylene glycol, hydrolyzed soy protein, peg-7 glyceryl cocoate, palmitoyl pentapeptide-3, glutathione, potassium ascorbyl tocopheryl phosphate, larrea divaricata (chaparral) extract, sodium hyaluronate, aloe barbadensis leaf extract, allantoin, carbomer, lecithin, polysorbate 20, sodium hydroxide, phenoxyethanol, methylbromo glutaronitrile, fragrance, tetrasodium edta.

on 12/26/2009 12:09:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

I like to take a break from my Jan Marini every few months and then go back to it. I bought a Clarisonic recently and have been using the Purity Cleanser with it as it removes makeup really well. My skin is sensitive, combo, and my latest challenge is red acne scars and skin tone/texture. I wash with the Purity Cleanser in the PM and the Micro exfoliating wash in the AM, then I follow up with this serum. This serum is a gel consistency, and it goes on wet but sinks in quickly. I feel that it firms my skin and provides some moisture -- but not quite enough moisture in the evenings. Since my advanced makeup optional kit came with spf20 hope in a jar, I have just been using the Help Me Retinol at night after this and the sample of the eye cream. I need just a slight touch more moisture. All in all, a good product. I have been using this for about 2 weeks now, and my skin feels pretty good, my jaw line is firmer. I am not noticing any change yet in skin tone/texture though.

on 10/28/2009 2:31:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

This is a great product for the 30 something individual who is just starting to see small signs of aging such as uneven skin tone, darkness, dullness and slight loss of elasticity. I've been using this serum morning & evening for 2 weeks and I have already seen and felt dramatic improvements in skin texture, tone and brightness. My face just feels so much firmer, smoother and 'younger'. I had some blotchiness around my nose and cheeks and they have all but disappeared after starting this. It comes in a glass vial with a glass dropper. You only need a tiny amount to spread over the face and neck area...about the size of a dime. It's a very light serum, so it doesn't feel greasy or suffocating. I can't say how well it will work on lines and wrinkles, guess those who are wondering will have to try it out and see.

on 10/27/2009 11:29:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

I just purchased what must be my 6th or 7th bottle of this serum which I use with the philosophy vit. c powder and Hope In a Jar, every other night. I have used this serum in this manner for about 3 years now, and it has brightened my skin tone while ridding it of the last of the melasma which was the legacy of perimenopause. It is one of my key products for skin care and this trio works very well for me. Fine lines have softened and the overall texture of my skin has improved. I will say that this serum is for women over 30, like many of philosophy basic products for skin care. A young woman or girl with good skin will get little effect from this product which is targeted for skin which needs moisture and improved skin texture.

It is pricey but lasts me about 5-6 months; my alternate product is Albolene (on other nights) so I've got a handle on costs this way and I wouldn't use this product (in conjunction with the other philosophy products) every night anyway.

on 10/6/2009 7:07:00 AM

I bought this as part of the Makeup Optional kit. Big investment for a kit, if you ask me.

Anyway, this product was surprisingly good for me. I wasn't really looking for a serum, but since it came with the kit I decided to try it.

A little of this product goes a long way. Only apply a few drops and it spreads easily. I like the way it makes my skin feel afterwards-- soft to the touch and has a little glow. A good product to add to your skin regimen at night to make your skin feel healthy after a day's worth of makeup.

It's a bit expensive though. I would consider trying other products with the same effectiveness.

on 8/30/2009 2:52:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Tan, Not Sure

**My Skin/Needs**I'm 25, and my skin is oily/very oily in the t-zone, sensitive, and somewhat acne prone. I have very few fine lines (mainly under my eyes) and no wrinkles. I'm looking for anti-aging products with proven ingredients that will prevent wrinkles, make my skin look brighter/more youthful, hydrate my skin without adding oil or clogging my pores, protect and heal my skin from the damage from free radicals, and also, refine my pores making my skin appear smoother. **Review**After using the product for the past 2 to 3 days in the morning and in the evening, I can see a slight difference in the firmness, hydration, smoothness, and brightness of my skin. The product has a smooth feel and is very soothing to the the skin. Although I have very oily skin, the product does not feel greasy or heavy on my skin. It absorbs into the skin immediately. I have been using the product on my neck and chest (which is very acne-prone and sensitive), as well. I have had no irritation or breakouts as a result of using the product. Overall, I would definitely recommend the product solely for its ability to lightly smooth and hydrate the skin. As for its anti-aging abilities, only time will tell. As with many anti-aging products, it's necessary to use the product for several weeks, sometimes months, to see if it's indeed effective at preventing and treating the signs of aging. There is no product capable of completely transforming one's skin overnight. It takes time. I recommend taking your picture before you start treating your skin with the anti-aging products of your choice, then retake your picture 4 to 6 weeks later to see if your skin has improved. This will help you determine if the product actually works. I believe that the ingredients used in most of Philosophy's anti-aging products (Vitamin C & E, Retinol, Hyaluronic Acid, Peptides) are scientifically proven to prevent and treat the signs of aging. In other words, I believe in the science behind their products. I will update my review in 4 to 6 weeks.
Update****It's been about 1 month, and I highly recommend this product for those who are looking for an excellent a.m. and p.m. anti-aging serum for combination to oily skin. This serum provides hydration without greasiness or oilyness making it great for oily skin types and/or acne prone skin. It should not cause breakouts or irritation. As a result, I highly recommend this for sensitive skin types. Overall, I've found that this product is very preventative, as it brightens, tightens, smooths, hydrates, and improves uneven skin tone. The results are not dramatic, but they are real. I will definitely purchase this product again!

on 8/5/2009 5:52:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure

I got this product when I purchased the Makeup Optional kit by philosophy. I used it as directed, on a clean face before moisturizer, and used up a whole bottle. I can't say I noticed any difference in my skin... it didn't get any worse or better. One plus is that it did not break me out or cause irritation. I don't recall any unpleasant fragrance. I just remember it had an oily texture and sunk into my skin quickly. The sales lady at Sephora told me it would do amazing things for my skin, and I hate to be a doubter but I didn't see any results. Then again I suppose it's quite an accomplishment that it did not break me out or irritate my sensitive skin. I don't know what to think about Philosophy products. I think they have brilliant marketing which sucks consumers in, but I have not experienced any amazing results, and I have used a lot of their products. The ONE product by philosophy that i absolutely LOOOVE is the purity cleanser - it's a makeup remover, cleanser, and toner all in one. I love that stuff becuase it gets all my makeup off without much work, makes my skin/pores feel very clean, and eliminates a couple steps from my nightly routine. Love it. However just like all philosophy products it is very pricey. Anyway, back to the serum... It's just kinda "meh" for me.

on 5/31/2009 6:34:00 PM

I will not go without this product! I'm 28 years old and I originally bought this product to be my long-term antioxidant/prevention/firming powerhouse serum. I've gone through a 1oz bottle, and can honestly say that my skin is firmer and bounces back nicely. I have crowsfeet lines when I smile, and they used to linger all day. Now they don't at all- they just bounce back out and you don't even see them! Same with my '11's. When i squint or frown I can see the lines, but they bounce out beautifully. These results are good enough to keep me purchasing! The smell is soo odd, but the ingredients are worth it. LOVE LOVE LOVE!

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure

I am so pissed of at the Nordstrom SA who insisted this would do wonders for me-- I should ahve gone with my gut. I have combination skin and very sensitive skin. This stuff seems to make my pimples worse, if it does anything.

Overall there is no change in my skin and I think this is a complete scam. Shame on Philosophy. I recently also bought the oxygen 'peel' which SUCKS. I have very disappointed in these two WAY TOO EXPENSIVE FOR NO REASON products.

Do not buy this-- spend your money elsewhere, on something that will actually work!

on 4/23/2009 1:16:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

This product did NOTHING for me! I went through 2 bottles consecutively and saw absolutely no difference whatsoever...perhaps since Im only 31, but still. Totally worthless......I'm soooooo over Philosophy

on 4/14/2009 12:31:00 AM

i mixed this C+E+peptide with booster C.
results came in the next morning.

5 pimple on my forehead, but i thought it was because i didn't clean my face good enough, so i kept using it for 4 more days, 3 more pimples on my chin. well, My pimples geting worse, white and black head all over my cheek. so i stop using it
and go back to clinique moisture.

now my face getting clear up but still have to take care that pimples.

** i did some patch test on the inside of my arm before bought it but still got irritation.**