July 22, 2014 | 1918 users online

Gels/Soaps - Ivory Soap

• Price: $

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/13/2009 9:57:00 AM More reviews by andToto2

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Grey

This product has ended my search for a product to clean my face. I decided to buy a pack of this, $1.07 at Wal-Mart, figured even if I hated it, so what. I am so glad I did, and I wish I would have tried it sooner.

My face is really sensitive. I use Retin-A, which I think is a big contributor to this problem, but if I try to stop using it, my skin breaks out so badly.The two cleansers that have irritated my skin the least were Aveeno Ultra Calming foaming cleanser and Purpose Liquid. But neither was perfect, and I still had dryness with them sometimes.

The Ivory is amazingly perfect for me. I get not one bit of dryness with it, my face feels clean and soft and free of irritation. No flaking. My skin's appearance has improved greatly in the week I have been using it. It works great for using on the whole body too, but I kind of like the indulgence of Philosophy shower gels.

One other thing I would like to note: I think with soaps, cleansers, shampoos and shower gels, part of the reason there are such wildly different opinions (i.e. "it leaves a film", "it dries my skin out", "cleans great", "cleans like crap") is the water in a persons house. If you have naturally soft water or use a water softener, your results can be quite different that someone who has hard water. I really notice this when visiting my sister. We have hard water here, she uses a water softener. The same shampoos and soaps I use daily perform really differently there. Just wanted to share some food for thought.

13 out of 14 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 11/9/2009 11:26:00 AM More reviews by kjb778

After going through multiple soaps I found this is the only one that does not make my skin dry. I have used specialty and natural soaps and bought every moisturizing ones known to man and this keeps my skin soft and healthy. Cleans very good, nice soft scent, rinses nicely, doesn't burn certain "areas" and inexpensive.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 10/26/2009 4:43:00 PM More reviews by Ceci2468

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I haven't used this soap in over 30 years. Unless it has been reformulated since then, this has got to be the most drying soap out there. This soap sucks (strips) the skin (or my skin, anyway) of all oils. Definitely not a good thing. I moisturized with lotion and that didn't help. Back then my parents didn't have a lot of money (and they probably didn't know all the other options) and we used this stuff for everything -- body wash, face wash, dish detergent, hair shampoo. This will strip your hair of everything. I'm African American with natural hair and after shampooing with this stuff my hair did not have good feeling at all (think brillo pad). Back then we didn't even use hair conditioner and I couldn't even handle (manage) my own hair. Had to get others to comb it for me. This soap does not bring forth good memories at all.

One positive, it sure did clean the crap off of the dishes. Damn fine as dish detergent.

rated 2 of 5 on 10/19/2009 7:56:00 PM More reviews by kutoto

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

Why doesn't this work on me? I have ezcema on one leg. After reading the reviews here, I decided to try it. I don't like the squeaky clean feeling it gives after rinsing off. Maybe I am just not used to it - my whole body felt dry after the shower so I applied lotion all over. Overall skin felt okay with lotion except my ezcema spot was *so dry* after 7 hours! . I used it on my face as well it was actually alright. If I don't have ezcema I may keep on using this but nah, I am staying away from it. By far, Cetaphil is the best for cleaning ezcema skin.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 7/24/2009 12:18:00 PM More reviews by Flo422

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Blue

This is crap in my opinion. It's individually packaged in paper - I know, weird. Doesn't moisturize a lot, smells weird. But worst of all, the freaking soap just destroys itself in my bath within 2 days - litterally!!! No way I'll change my soap that frequently!

rated 4 of 5 on 6/26/2009 3:03:00 PM More reviews by ooohsparkles

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

When I first started staying the night at SO's house, this was what was in the shower. At first I didn't like the smell/feel of it and was used to the uber moisturizing dove soap. but i must say i've changed my opinion!

SO's family has sensitive skin (much like me, reactive and picky!) but this doesn't cause any problems for me. I love the smell, the shape, and the suds. it can be a tad drying but I always use a lotion after... even if i use it on my face, i have no problems!

rated 1 of 5 on 4/18/2009 3:19:00 PM More reviews by jilly_sue

This has to be the most harsh soap on the market. It dried my skin out so badly that it took it weeks to recover. Only use this if your skin is a pure oil slick, otherwise stay very far away!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/5/2009 12:53:00 PM More reviews by jmarie

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Silver, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

This is the ONLY soap my husband will use. He actually uses it for shampoo too. I only use it in the summer if I'm really hot and sticky, otherwise it's way too drying for me. I guess a low maintenance husband is a good thing....more disposable income for my higher maintenance lifestyle. The only problem with a low maintenance guy.....he tends not to understand my need for the finer things in life.

6 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/5/2009 12:25:00 PM More reviews by MAChostage

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Other, Warm Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Ivory soap can do no wrong by me! I have overall sensitive skin, with an area of eczema on one leg, and this soap makes my skin happy. I love the fact that it rinses out/off totally, with absolutely no irritation whatsoever. Sometimes the most simple, tried and true, time tested products are the best.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/26/2009 2:10:00 AM More reviews by HeatSeeker

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I love Ivory soap. I have sensitive skin and it works great. Love the smell too.