August 30, 2014 | 1751 users online

Makeup Brushes - MAC - #231 Small Shader Brush

image 0image 1image 2

rated 5 of 5 on 12/13/2006 10:48:00 PM More reviews by misseng

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I bought this brush for applying e/s but then I actually now use it for concealer! It's a good size for me, and the perfect firmness. When I first bought it (for eyeshadow) I found myself reaching for other brushes first, and it was quite neglected. Then I read it was good for concealer, and now I'm using it daily!

rated 5 of 5 on 10/12/2006 1:30:00 AM More reviews by dolcevita927

I'm so glad I read the reviews here before purchasing an eyebrush. I have Asian eyes that are not very deep-set and I normally have a problem applying e/s with regular e/s brushes as they are often too big. I was looking for a brush that I could use to apply, then blend or buff out my MAC fluidlines to use them as e/s, and also something that could be used to apply e/s as eyeliner. I almost planned to get the 219 or the 217 based on their reviews, but I read further and decided on this one instead. You ladies are so right! It has nice firm but stiff hairs and the brush keeps its shape. It's small enough to do the jobs I specified above. I love it for applying then buffing out my New Weed F/L as my e/s base, then applying Graphic Brown F/L on the top lashline as my e/l. The effect is very pretty. I also use it to apply Deep Truth e/s as e/l and it picks up just the right amount of pigment and allows me to draw a thin precise line. I've also used it to create a smokey look with dark brown/purple e/s. I really love this versatile brush! Thanks for your reviews. BTW, MAC makes some great brushes. I have the #180 buffer (see review) which I love, and the #239 for applying e/s or pigment all over the eye (it's great to apply Naked pigment as a wash all over my eyes for pretty "neutral with a kick" look.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/25/2006 1:38:00 PM More reviews by Merina

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Brown

The 228 brush used to be my favorite mini shader but now this one is. It really packs the color on effortlessly. Now I use the 228 mini shader for blending in small spaces. The 231 brush has synthetic bristles at the top, like the 187 stippling brush. Works nicely in the crease as well. I have small Asian eyes with a small crease, so this is a holy grail brush for me. Perfect for detail work!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/23/2006 2:42:00 AM More reviews by monlim

Ok, this is my FAVOURITE eye shadow brush and that's saying a lot, considering how many I have! My problem is that I have small Asian lids and most e/s brushes are just too large, even the famous 213 brush. I decided to try this even though some have warned me it might be too small. Guess what? It's PERFECT for small lids! It packs on pigments easily and applies them like a dream, wonderfully smooth. Makes detailed work, especially for bright pigments, a breeze. No more having pigments fly all over my face or deposited unevenly or in places they're not supposed to be in. As a bonus, I discovered that I can use this to draw a thin line of light coloured pigment as a liner along my lower lid - the first brush to be able to do that (I kid you not!!)

If I could only keep one e/s brush, this would hands down be it. I'll be running to stock up on this!!

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 3/10/2006 7:47:00 AM More reviews by rosenbud

Age: 44-55 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This is becomming my most used eye brush.
I use it for smudging eye liner, applying dark eye shadow as eye liner.
Is also good for filling in brows.
The brush is not much bigger than a lip brush but the end is flat and straight with very soft but firm hairs.
Update: this is by far the bast brush for using with Fluidlines, it provides so much control and far supasses the 266.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/25/2006 5:25:00 AM More reviews by Painted_Lady1981

This is such an underrated little brush. It is absolutely PERFECT for applying eyeliner, particularly for tightlining. It is small enough to fit into any space, stiff and thin enough to draw fine lines with, soft enough not to pose a danger to eyes - it is just phenomenal, everything I wanted an eyeliner brush to be. It makes tightlining a breeze - I just get some fluidliner on the brush, and then literally paint my waterline, with the flat side of the brush (not the tip). You can also angle the brush in different ways to get lines of different (and graduated) thickness.

I find it crazy that no one ever mentions this among the "best eyeliner brushes."

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/12/2005 10:37:00 PM More reviews by lovermac

This brush works quite well to line my eyes with fluidline. I wish it were a little bit stiffer, but it is smaller than my 212 so it makes it easier to work around the curve of my eye. I also like it better than my 266 because that brush just doesn't make a nice thin line on me. I also have the 263 which is great for eye shadow lining, but a bit too flimsy for fluidline. I certainly have a good selection of brushes for lining, but I go for this one the most.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/28/2005 11:41:00 PM More reviews by Nursie

This is a lifesaver brush for lining my eyes. Even before the fluidliners came out, but especially now. I haven't had much success with push brushes for the fluidliners--somehow the brush is too wide for the curve of my eye, and this is the perfect solution. Kind of like a mini push brush, only softer. Reading the other reviews, it seems that others have had a lot of success using this on the lid, crease, and inner corner, but for me it will always be my HG eyelining brush.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/30/2005 12:05:00 AM More reviews by Lo_li_ta

I originally bought this brush to use with my fluidline, as the 266 just wasnt cutting it for me. It works good for that purpose, but I think I prefer angled brushes more, and will probably invest in the 263. That being said however, I find this brush is perfectly suited to my crease! I have almond shaped eyes, that I think are a bit on the small side, and I've ALWAYS had trouble making my crease look defined. I was never able to control any of my other smaller brushes (hmm the 242, the 213? stila #7 amongst them) enough to make my crease shade end nicely on the outside corner of my eye (ok, this is hard to explain..) so generally stuck to medium toned crease colors that were more forgiving. This brush gives me presice enough control to use deep dark smokey colors without looking like I got punched, and gives my eyes much needed definition. I also find this brush is great for adding shadow on my lower lashline - something else I've always had trouble making look good. I am beyond satisfied with this brush, even though I dont use it for my original intentions.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/13/2005 9:00:00 AM More reviews by dirtcupcake

I love this brush. I use it for lining the eyes, mainly with cream liners. I also use it to smudge my pencil lines or to apply loose powder shadows as liner. I don't know what I ever did without this! I have 2 of them I love it so much! ;)