April 25, 2014 | 925 users online

Eye Shadow - NYX - Root Beer

• Price: $

rated 2 of 5 on 11/13/2008 3:03:00 PM More reviews by louloulouloulou

Makes my eyelids itch and puff :(

rated 5 of 5 on 11/8/2008 10:01:00 AM More reviews by Ninanuk

This isn't a color I would normally buy. I bought it just b/c of the great reviews here. I had it for about 3 weeks before I tried it, and I am so glad I did.

It's a very smooth, silky eyeshadow. The color is a greyish-taupish-light purple. I *detest* purple eyeshadows on me - I have brown hair and eyes and fair skin, but dark undereye circles and bad allergies. Purple usually makes me look terrible. But this is nowhere near a bad purple, even for those who do not like purples. It's more of a greyish-light brown that has a lilac undertone to it.

I wear it all over my lid and into my crease, and then blend Mac Rice Paper on the inside corners and up to the brow. When I look at those colors alone, I wouldn't think they would work, but the do somehow.

I love love love this eyeshadow. You should pick one up, they aren't more than $5, ESPECIALLY if this isn't a color you would normally go for.

It is fabulous.

Also, I have very sensitive skin with lots of facial eczema and can't wear a lot of makeup, but this did not irritate my skin or eyes at all.

HTH!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/7/2008 9:57:00 AM More reviews by nerdcat

I have this in both the single and trio forms and find them quite different but equally wonderful!
I loved the colour from the trio so much that I decided to grab the single because a) I heard that the single was even nicer, and b) I'm a sucker for the cute square packaging of the singles.
The single is a little darker and more brown than the trio version which leans more toward a taupy grey hue.
The single is a lovely grey-brown that I uses in my crease with almost ANY other colour just to make the look a little more sophisticated.

**** A great trick I sware by: I dip just the tip of a tapered blending brush at a 90 degree angle into the pot to collect light concentration of colour, and then place it into my crease at the outside edge of my eye. I rock the brush back and forth in a "windshield wiper" motion 3/4 of the way accross my lid and VOILA instant glamour and subtle smokey eye goodness***

rated 5 of 5 on 10/16/2008 9:55:00 PM More reviews by fatchance

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

The BEST purpley-taupe ever. This so trumps Chanel Vega - I'm ashamed I spent so much for that CC logo. This is what you put on when you have time for only one thing. Fabulous color, texture, depth. I should buy a gross of this.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/24/2008 10:23:00 PM More reviews by FastKitty99

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I LOVE Rootbeer. I ordered this on-line through Cherry Culture and waited close to 3 months for it since it was on backorder. I also ordered several trio NYX eyeshadows and wasn't overly impressed, although for the price, it's darn good stuff.
I bought Rootbeer in the single, so not sure if there is a difference between the trios and singles in terms of quality. It is lovely...gorgeous color, excellent pigmentation, lasted all day...as long as my Urban Decay and MAC shadows. I don't agree that it is a dupe of Satin Taupe, which is lovely in its own right and is another shade that I own. Rootbeer has more charcoal in it than Satin Taupe, so don't be afraid to buy it if you already own Satin Taupe. NYX shadows are not easy to find in my geographic area. If you find this shade, definitely buy it, you will not be disappointed.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/23/2008 8:19:00 PM More reviews by staciarose22

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

It is a lovely shade of silvery taupe. This is one of their most popular shades, you can wear it with anything. Very pretty shimmering neutral. In the same group as MAC Satin Taupe... If you want something like it but with ultra shimmer... try Ulta's Twilight shadow.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/16/2008 11:07:00 AM More reviews by gigglygal1o1

This color is so pretty. It is a cool, silvery dark taupe that is great for defining the eyes in the crease. I found that another cool look is with this on the lids with a bright purple liner.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/16/2008 3:19:00 AM More reviews by urstandingonmytoes

The PROS: This is a very pretty deep taupe eyeshadow. It has decent pigment, but applies sheer and then the color can be built up to whatever intensity you want. Its best to use over a primer to get the most staying power. These are a steal for $3.99 (at my local DS). This would make the perfect understated smokey eye in my opinion...glam but not too over the top, or it can be used very sheer for a simple neutral everyday look. BTW, this doesn't come with an applicator. I will repurchase.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/9/2008 12:35:00 AM More reviews by tisha_oz

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I had this color in my makeup drawer and hadn't wore it in a while. Tried it again today with Stila's barefoot contessa, and wow!!! Beautiful effect. The color is very unique and one I feel has some impact for the daytime without being over the top, and can be dressed up for nighttime. This will be getting a lot more use from me! It's a glam neutral. I adore NYX shadows in general, much better than MAC IMHO.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/15/2008 4:33:00 PM More reviews by annie7270

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Absolutely fantastic. NYX shadows beat MAC's, in my opinion, and I own plenty of each! Rootbeer is one of my all-time favorites - it goes on, for me, as a taupey neutral. Stays ALL day, no creasing, fabulous pigmentation, $4 each at ULTA. Love, love, love!!!!!!!