April 18, 2014 | 1236 users online

Fragrances - Chanel - Gardenia

rated 4 of 5 on 3/25/2006 11:59:00 AM More reviews by mirandafair

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

EDITED to say that I've given this another chance and it really does smell elegant and lovely. I think I got carried away by my initial impression. After 2 minutes it doesn't smell like wooden pencils at all. :-)

rated 4 of 5 on 2/16/2006 9:58:00 AM More reviews by Thisbe

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I love this fragrance…and I didn’t at first. It smelled familiar to me the first time I smelled it – not identical to, but similar to lots of other scents out there – and because of that it struck me as indistinctive. Then I hung around here for a while and learned that if it smells like lots of other scents out there, it’s likely because this is the fragrance (or style of fragrance) that so many others are trying to copy.

I’m sure lots of others have already mentioned this but contrary to what the name implies, this does not smell a whole lot like gardenias. Chanel Gardenia does not even have a gardenia note. They used other floral notes in attempt to create the impression of a gardenia. It smells like soft jasmine, orange blossom, and tuberose. The tuberose is not buttery or rich, rather soft, and the jasmine is airy. Beautiful fragrance! I look forward to wearing it often this summer.
continued >>

rated 5 of 5 on 1/30/2006 9:49:00 PM More reviews by reallyafaerie

This is the perfume I wear for every day when I wear perfume...for evening or going out I wear Hugo Boss Deep Red, but I haven't worn it in about 6 months because my pregnant nose coulcn't handle it. But Chanel Gardenia always makes me feel good. It's not overwhelming, and it smells bright and sparkling. It puts me in a good mood, and makes me feel pretty. I get compliments on it all the time. It's not perfumey, it's light and fresh and smells like...well jasmine is the first smell I pick out on it. Also, I know the packaging is plain, but I've dropped the bottle several times (pregnancy makes you clumsy...and I tend to drop things regardless) and not a crack or a gap or anything. I will ALWAYS wear this perfume. I've worn it for years, and I may have a new evening favorite or two, but this....how many perfumes can make you feel not just beautiful, but like...something has been lifted off you shoulders just with a spritz?

rated 3 of 5 on 1/1/2006 4:14:00 PM More reviews by lynnphi

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I'm on the fence with this one. Upon inital application this scent is a gorgeous, sophisticated, expensive-smelling floral. After twenty minutes, on me this dried down to a soapy smell, like the little french-milled soaps you keep in guest bathrooms. Not necessarily bad, but definitely not gardenia. And alas, within two hours, the scent was gone completely. Why, oh why is my body chemistry so crazy????

rated 4 of 5 on 12/4/2005 11:06:00 PM More reviews by starrynight1

Absolutely lovely. This aparantly is an old fragrance Coco made that has just been brought back. I am reviewing the parfume, not the EDT, since I can't stand EDT. It smells just like gardenias but, surprise, it does not have gardenia essence in it. the mixture of different essences make it smell like gardenia. This scent is light and extremely feminine. Very gentle as well and classic. this did not get 5 because it does not last long at all. rubs off. but other than that, very good.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/30/2005 1:41:00 PM More reviews by lilybp

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Beautiful, sparkling white floral, with jasmine, tuberose, vanilla. I like both the parfum and the EDT here. When I wear this, I step more lightly.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/25/2005 2:30:00 PM More reviews by tippie

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Pretty,fresh,light floral with no notes of strong gardenia to my nose which I am thankful for.Poor lasting power for the price.Too bad.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/23/2005 9:23:00 PM More reviews by amykelley

Age: Unknown Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Gardenia is a classy, beautiful floral that's nice to wear almost anytime. I think it would make a lovely gift to a daughter/friend/etc. as an introduction to the perfume classics.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 8/21/2005 6:48:00 PM More reviews by Angel_Ling

Oh my goodness, how I wanted to love this. After reading these reviews on it, it sounded like the most perfect fragrance: jasmine, green tea, and vanilla -- exactly what I wanted. I managed to find the EDT at my Nordstroms, despite it being 2004 Summer LE, and took a sample home. This is definitely one of the lighter scents of Chanel perfumes, which is great for me, since I love my scents to be sheer. However, on me, this smells light and sweet -- so sweet that I am always waiting for it to turn cloying, but it never does (although it always remains hovering around that line). This smells like sweetly-scented paper on my skin, and never really warms up to my skin, but just sits there. Some jasmine, I guess... the slightest drop of vanilla... and something else... like expensive sweet plastic or paper or something. On those people whose body chemistry does not turn everything sickly sweet, as mine does to any perfume that has a hint of sweet in it, this would be beautiful -- the embodiment of a dainty and elegant female with a sweet heart. But it's just not for me, unfortunately. If you're looking to get this, try your local mall (just in case!), and if they don't have it, try Gloss.com or a Chanel boutique.

rated 3 of 5 on 8/15/2005 6:30:00 PM More reviews by fleeting_fancy

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Black

EDIT 2013:
i've decided that i love this perfume. it doesn't last on me like it should, and it's not gardenia, but it's beautifully composed. if i were going to give this lippies for scent alone, i'd give it a 4.

it's creamy. it's tuberose and jasmine with hints of vetiver and creamy vanilla and a bit of smoke.

I absolutely love gardenias. There's no gardenia here, folks. There's just, IMO, a fancy label. This is one of the few perfumes that nauseates me. I smell jasmine, patchouli, and rotten orange creamsicle. Yves Rocher has a beautiful true gardenia scent for about $10 ~ Pur Desir de Gardenia. Get that for a true-to-the-flower scent. Get Trish # 4 for a gardenia with a little musk and vanilla/tonka. Don't get this if you want gardenia. However, I guess if you like jasmine with patchouli, this is perfect.