April 17, 2014 | 1801 users online

Shampoo - Neutrogena - Anti-Residue Shampoo

rated 3 of 5 on 1/7/2012 11:36:00 AM More reviews by MichelleWay

This product works really well but it STINKS so I gave it a 3. If it weren't for the nasty smell I'd give it a 5 because it really does work. My bangs get so oily that I have to wash them every day even though I only wash the rest of my hair every 3 days. Lately my bangs just haven't looked or felt clean no matter what shampoo I've used. They've also been flat, dull and generally hard to deal with. After using the Neutrogena my bangs were full of volume and shiny clean but not dried out at all. Unfortunately, the smell made me sick so I have to return it. I should have smelled it before I bought it but oh well.

If you are not sensitive to strong fragrances and need a good clarifying shampoo I highly recommend this one. Just be sure to follow with a good mask or conditioner.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/5/2012 5:36:00 PM More reviews by LilyMakeupEvan

This stuff changed my life! I get so much volume from this product and it really works. I know people hate the smell but I love it! Its like cologne almost. As hair professionals say, our hair can get 'immune' to hair products, so a complete restart is necesisary if you want to use the same shampoo/products forever and this does that! However please dont use more than once a week (I tried that) or else your hair will feel like straw. and make sure to use a good conditoner/mask after this. The picture shows a tiny bottle of 175mL which sells for about $8 CAN but I bought the 1Litre bottle for about $11 (Walmart). This stuff also lasts forever. Im estimating that my 1Litre wont be done until a good 5years, which is crazy, but yeah!
Would I repurchase? Yeah. again and again.
Check out my reviews on other hair products and let me know if this review was helpful or not. :)

rated 5 of 5 on 1/4/2012 6:06:00 PM More reviews by cindy007

I love this shampoo. I have thin hair, so this product really gives it a good fluf. Also, I use Pantene conditioner for fine hair afterwards and then Nexus Headress. Hair looks great. I suppose this shampoo could be drying for some hair types as it is a stronger shampoo and I do always have to condition afterwards, but for my hair type it makes it fluffy and shiny and that works for me!

PS I also do use a sulfate free shampoo but still use this for anti-residue and this has not irritated my scalp, although it is more drying than the sulfate free, because this is clarifying.

rated 1 of 5 on 12/11/2011 4:32:00 PM More reviews by jessgia

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Oh... My... God. This was the worst purchase I have ever made. It was the end of summer and my scalp was oily and starting to flake despite everyday shampooing. I used this shampoo ONCE and it made my hair brittle and my head/hair smelled like a chemical factory for almost a week. I had to overcondition my hair and use a mild shampoo for a few weeks before the damage was repaired.

AWFUL!

rated 1 of 5 on 12/11/2011 8:23:00 AM More reviews by kimk89

I used it once a week as instructed....gave it a try for about 2-3 weeks.....it makes my hair squeeky clean...but FLAT AS HELL....made my hair have so many fly-aways and so much static!!! :S will not repurchase.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/1/2011 10:33:00 AM More reviews by lgcamper

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I use this about once a week and follow it with the Neutrgena Triple Moisture deep recovery hair mask and then no product. I can get away with that because I have a good hairstyle (for me, anyway) that is razor cut and 3 - 5 inches long all over. This once a week treatment works wonders for my fine textured color treated hair. The rest of the week is a mild S&C meant for color treated hair followed by product - must keep up appearances in the workplace!

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 11/21/2011 2:10:00 AM More reviews by LilacShine9

I have used this shampoo on and off for many years. The formula has changed and isn't as thick. It does remove dulling buildup and doesn't smell too much. Sometimes I thought it worked, then other times it didn't at all. I think my hair dislikes it more though since alot of times it will be flatter. I think it is because of the castor oil. I would rather use another brand of anti-residue/clarifying shampoo like Kenra.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/18/2011 11:21:00 AM More reviews by ladyofshalott

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

For the past month my hair has gotten SUPER crunchy, brittle to the point where it started to break (from using too much protein in my hair!!!) I usually use SLS-free shampoos/conditioners, so I started to use a regular shampoo to wash my hair, thinking that it would get rid of any gunk. But that didn't work--it just made my hair worse! It was getting down right embarrassing to be seen with hair like this. Anyway, I tried deep conditioning my hair, but that didn't seem to help... so I finally tried this: a clarifying shampoo. I used it once and WOW -- my hair was not crunchy anymore! It was a miracle. This dried out my hair and made the colour fade (I have colout-treated hair), but I didn't care--I was happy to have no crunchiness in my hair anymore. I will continue to use this once a week for the next month, along with lots of moisture (with no protein), in order to get my hair back in shape. :)
BTW: My hair is naturally wavy/curly, All the protein I used in my hair made is stick straight and crunchy. After using this shampoo, my hair went back to its natural texture!!!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/19/2011 9:57:00 PM More reviews by tubbyloves

It worked great at clarifying my hair and my scalp.
It really cleans the hair and residue left behind from styling products or build-up.
It can really dry out your dry hair if you use it too often.
I used to use this daily and it FRYED my hair. It was soooo dry and brittle.
But used once a week to cleanse your hair is the ideal way to use this product.
Great product and would reccomend!

rated 5 of 5 on 10/19/2011 7:02:00 PM More reviews by gpgroupie1

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I genuinely sympathise for the people who have used this shampoo as directed and have had bad results, but there were a couple types of reviews that left me searching for my very smallest violin.

The reviews that imply that the person used the shampoo more often than the directions instructed...I mean, yikes! This stuff is strong and takes gunk out of your hair, it's ok to use it very sparingly. I have very dry scalp and hair, using it as instructed has not damage my hair at all!

The second types of reviews that left me unsympathetic, were the ones that complained about how much it "reaked". Well, I will offer up two thoughts:

1) Neutrogena products have a very, very distinct scent. The shock that I'm hearing regaurding the "stench" is surprising to me. The company has been around for a while and I don't think they changed the fragrance of their products at all. 2) Even if you don't know what Neutrogena products smell like, shouldn't you smell a product before purchasing? I don't know, maybe that's just me, because I am so scent oriented! I always smell a product before I buy it, and if it smells bad why on earth am I going to wash my hair with it?

Ok, enough of me being kind of mean, I really like this product! You use so little and only 4 times a month, it wil last you a good long while! Also, I really enjoy the smell, and I feel a huge difference between washes! My scalp feels cleaner for a longer time! Because it washes out the build up on my dry scalp, I no longer have dandruff!

I would like to wait until I finish my first bottle before I go and call it my HG, but if it continues to work for me as well as it has already, it's definitely going to be on my "must have" list!

04/05/12
Update, I'm on my second bottle, and I still love this! My dandruff problem is gone, and that in itself is really impressive! It's now my HG! Can't really imagine using anything else. It is a God send!

14 out of 16 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No