October 23, 2014 | 1107 users online

Lipstick - MAC - Retro Matte - Ruby Woo

rated 5 of 5 on 2/14/2014 4:10:00 AM More reviews by toria444

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

This is a classic red for a vintage look. It's matte so wear lip balm underneath. I use MAC's Cherry lip liner with this and it compliments well.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/12/2014 11:11:00 PM More reviews by nocturnem

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I own a lot of red lipsticks (it's the only color I buy again and again, I'm obsessed!), but Ruby Woo is hands down my favorite. It's the most pigmented, long lasting, beautiful cool shade of red that's also flattering on most skintones. I'm very, very pale (NC05) and it looks dramatic without being too vampy, and I love how it can look extremely bright and almost neon-y under certain lights, or darker and seductive. The first time I tried it on at a MAC store I walked out in Times Square and got nods of approval from random people in the street, ha!
The texture is kinda dry, so I like to rub the lipstick twice on my hand before applying to warm it up a little bit, but then I find that it glides on without much effort. You only need one swipe or two at most of this on the lips, it's so opaque. It's a matte so don't expect it to be moisturizing, but I don't find it drying either, and my lips are always very dry and chapped. It's best to lightly exfoliate and moisturize the lips well, then take the lip balm off just before applying Ruby Woo. It feels absolutely weightless on the lips and I even forget I've got it on sometimes, and it's comfortable for hours.
It will last through drinks and meals provided you're not eating very oily things and you're a little careful not to lick your lips or rub it off with a napkin. I've had both salads and desserts wearing it and only needed a minor touch up, but it didn't last through Chinese take-out! (nothing will, though)

Just a tip: when you apply it, do NOT rub your lips together. Doing so will result in it highlighting all flakes and dry patches on the lips. It will make a world of difference if you apply it separately on the top lip and lower lip. Afterwards, wait a few seconds before rubbing your lips together if you want to (though I still wouldn't) to let the lipstick set.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 2/11/2014 11:31:00 AM More reviews by quartzrocker

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Deep Dark, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I am a woman of african american descent. My complexion is dark, like every foundation i have is called "cocoa" or "earth" or whatever is the darkest foundation availablr. So it's safe to assume that my upper lip is more heavily pigmented than my lower. My lips are also the most chapped ever! I mean mean ever! My lips hate most lip glosses and lipsticks. My lips would automatically peel if i put on anything but vaseline or chapstick and let me tell you this is my first lipstick love affair. This complements my cool complexion so beautifully. I use my eos lip balm as a primer, NO PENCIL OR LINER, and just go to town with this lipstick. It lasts through drinks and food for a long time and its so perfect i love it so much. There is hope for my chapped sisters. And hope, thy name is ruby woo. It looks like a blood red on my dark lips and i love it better than russian or mac red. As a matter of fact im about to exchange this mac red for another ruby woo!

rated 3 of 5 on 2/10/2014 10:52:00 PM More reviews by lipstickwoo

well i think tnis color looks nice(but bold also) on my lips. funny thing is even though it is a blue toned red, it makes my warm toned face glow like never(still in a very noticable way though)! however the textuse of this tube is a nightmare. if i simply try to apply the color onto my lips with bare hand, i can not do it cause it is too hard&dry. if i put good amount of lipbalm first, then the color leaks out everywhere and runs off my lips just after several sips of water.and i shall let you know how horrible it looks after a meal; almost all the color is gone leaving only uneven spots like shade on top of my lips but bottom. just terrible. worst of my lipsticks ever. i think i will try the third time using a brush. not possible to year,not possible to keep.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/10/2014 9:44:00 PM More reviews by nostradamus

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

If you're going for a true red, look no further than MAC. It was a toss-up for me between Ruby Woo and Russian Red and I ultimately chose Ruby because it's brighter and not as serious and vampy-looking as the latter. Now that I've worn it on and off for the past few years, I feel that both these reds cater to different moods. For Ruby, it's a lively mood that easily attracts the notice of others, but if you're in a more subdued mood, I might lean toward Russian Red. As others have noted, Ruby is MATTE and to avoid looking like a pin-up girl come to life, consider paring down the eye makeup.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/6/2014 5:58:00 PM More reviews by Nene2012

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Hands down the perfect lipstick for EVERY skintone. The best way to wear it is with very minimal makeup on your eyes: eyeliner and mascara are all you need. Ruby Woo stands out on it's own, so anything else on your face would make it " a little too much" for daily wear. Absolutely gorgeous!

rated 5 of 5 on 2/5/2014 9:52:00 PM More reviews by Leila31

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

BEST RED LIPSTICK EVER! It's especially perfect on dark skin girls.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/1/2014 7:09:00 PM More reviews by nataliecrack

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Brown

My HG red lipstick. Hands down.

The most amazing red lipstick ever made. Seriously.

The shade is a lovely bright coral red, very, VERY vivid, with strong blue undertones. So strong that it might leave a fuschia stain to some.

Not for the faint of heart.

Also, not for the ladies with chapped lips who love good moisturizing lipsticks.

Lady, this lipstick is NOT moisturizing. I repeat. Do NOT expect moisture of your lips with this lipstick. It won't do you any good. If you have flakey lips, do NOT buy it.

On the other side, if you have lovely, velvety moisturized lips like mine, and no NOT mind a bit of dryness for the sake of beauty, then, I present you THE most suitable lipstick for you.

It drags your lips when you apply it (this is how dry it is!) and it almost feels chalky/waxy, so i repeat, do not buy it you are an amateur. This lipstick is definitely for the pros, for those who have mastered matte lips.

What else should i say about this amazing lipstick? The staying power is amazing and you don't need a lip liner cause it simply never feathers. If you insist of getting one, however, Cherry is the perfect match.

I would also like to point out that it photographs AMAZINGLY GOOD. Seriously. Everytime i take a picture of me wearing this lipstick, my lips look photoshopped. I don't know how they did it and you will never understand unless you try it and see for yourselves.

So, to sum up, only buy it if you are comfortable with dry, matte lips.

Do NOT buy if you prefer some moisture. Although I strongly believe that EVERY lady should own at least one tube of Ruby Woo once in their lives.

Oh well. Hope i helped! x

rated 5 of 5 on 1/29/2014 8:34:00 PM More reviews by isabellanotte

I was looking to invest in a fun MAC lipstick, and there was a lot of hype over the Ruby Woo lipstick, as well as EVERYONE saying that it was very drying. It's a gorgeous velvety matte red, and I have not had any issue with dryness, although I do wear lip balm constantly. I love the smell of the MAC lip line, and this is a rich red, and the matte finish can honestly only be described as velvety. I didn't have it on all day, but it did not smudge or bleed, and I do have a lot of little crack in my lips (natural, not age related). I can't praise it enough.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/25/2014 9:22:00 PM More reviews by Redbone21

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

Gorgeous matte red lipstick! I just got into lipsticks and this is my 1st red. Red lipstick was something that used to scare me but a true makeup lover learns reds eventually. Anyways this lipstick is VERY DRY. So I like to put a little vaseline on my lips and then put this on so my lips dont start a fire. I can kiss my boo and red doesnt get on his lips. Without touch ups this does last a while. I like it with burgady lip liner by MAC too so yesss to this lip. Oh and for skin tone reference Im about an NC40.