October 20, 2014 | 1373 users online

Fragrances - Elizabeth Arden - Red Door

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 9/20/2011 1:22:00 AM More reviews by dioraddict84

The repackaged Red Door bottle is an improvement over the original. This is a very overpowering scent, but it does smell nice on the right person. I agree with others who say to use it sparingly. Less is more! Still, it's not a favorite though I will admit it's nice on the right woman.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/19/2011 10:18:00 PM More reviews by ericaspinky

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I recently got a miniature eau de parfum bottle as part of a GWP and I really like it alot. However, this is a fragrance that should be used very sparingly. Like not even a full push of a spray sparingly. Since it's a very strong scent, any more would result in headaches. Used correctly, this could work as a beautiful, floral, feminine scent for anywhere, anytime.

I gave it a lippie off because you have to be super careful of the amount when applying it and the slightest bit of over-spraying could result in public-scent-terrorism. If you're used to fragrances that are more forgiving, are familiar only with ones created in this millenium and/or light fruity florals & marshmallowy gourmand scents (which is great in its own right), this fragrance might be somewhat startling. It's definitely worth giving it a chance, though. Red Door is a mature (not old!), sexy and refined scent.

Update as of 09/27: I've been using this about a week and have received many compliments from friends/family, coworkers and random strangers. To be honest, I've always considered Elizabeth Arden/Red Door to have kind of an "old" image so I'm pleasantly surprised to discover this oldie but goodie that works for me. I'm finding that with my body chemistry, it gives off a spicy, warm & glowing scent which isn't too heavy (due to the lack of musk). The drydown, especially, has a lovely, rich, honey scent. I think this fragrance is more suitable for colder weather.

Product description:
Top notes Lily of the Valley, Freesia, Wild Violets
Mid notes Red Rose, Moroccan Orange Flower, Jasmine, Ylang
Base notes Oakmoss, Sandalwood, Honey

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/28/2011 10:46:00 AM More reviews by marshmello

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I will start by saying that I HATE this in the EDT/EDP form but LOVE it in the body lotion form. The first time I smelled Red Door (1991), I was out at the mall with a few co-workers on our lunch break. A couple of them sprayed RD to test it and it was the most disgusting, putrid thing I'd ever smelled. Although it was a warm day, we HAD to ride back to work with the windows down. It was so pungent, overpowering and vial. I couldn't understand why anyone would want to wear something that smelled so bad. Well, fastforward a couple decades (2011), I decided to test the lotion just to see if it was still putrid. OMG! It was the most luxurious, richly floral fragrance I've ever come across. I immediately bought the bottle. I'm starting to realize that some of the funkiest (amber heavy) perfumes smell sooo good in lotion form. A prime example would be Victoria's Secret Rapture. Another stinker in perfume form, but glorious in lotion form.

rated 2 of 5 on 7/22/2011 2:40:00 PM More reviews by siouxie

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

Thank God I never bought this. The packaging is the tip-off ladies! Old school in the worst possible way. The fragrance is hot and heavy and would certainly give me a headache if I wore this for any period of time. Other fragrances in this genre, in my mind anyway, would include Dior's Poison and YSL's Opium. Thank God these perfumes fell way out of favor many years ago. The underlying message was if you want it hot and steamy, wear this. Don't!

If you want to smell like a clueless throwback, I would recommend giving yourself a spritz of this.

rated 1 of 5 on 7/22/2011 2:12:00 PM More reviews by frenche

Age: 44-55 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I think I won the lottery!! I managed to pass my bottle of Red Door onto a friend who actually loves the stuff (and lives far enough away that I won't have to smell it on her). She thinks she's won the lottery but I know differently. This fragrance is just too, too, too everything. Too 80s, too stinky, too in your face, too headache-inducing. I'm so glad to be rid of it. I'm free!!!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/21/2011 7:44:00 PM More reviews by Shanplum

This poor fragrance gets such a hard time, but each time you have been in an elevator or passed someone on the street and thought "what a great smell" chances are you were smelling red door. This fragrance has such a bad reputation as being old or outdated but worn in modest amounts and letting it settle for a few minutes before leaving the house it is a gorgeous scent. No, it's not everyones taste or suited to everyones chemistry, but on the right person it is amazing. I am only 26 so I am by no means an old lady but I appreciate the classics. You can always pick this up relatively cheap at Christmas/mothersday sales. A very classic honey based scent.

5 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 7/3/2011 12:25:00 AM More reviews by Lola0

Damn it! I bought this perfume thinking it was the other one (E.A. Red door REVEALED) and i was so happy but then i sprayed on my body and i was like What the heck?!!
I hate the scent so bad, i smelled like an old lady all the freaking day!
Its odor is way too strong for any woman, seriously.

rated 1 of 5 on 6/22/2011 12:19:00 AM More reviews by bta

I never tried this on myself, only smelt on other people, and I found it always revolting. Honestly, if you spray this in a bathroom and I have to use that bathroom, I would probably choose to head for the nearest bush instead. It is thick, old and sticky like a leech! And ages the wearer instantly! Or at least I think so!

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 5/22/2011 10:09:00 AM More reviews by Cutekitti

This perfume is strong and floraly. My mother in law wears it and it gives me a headache everytime. Its terrible. I recently gave her a bottle of my favorite perfume in hopes she would switch to something less potent

rated 4 of 5 on 5/4/2011 5:39:00 PM More reviews by LaylaLanes

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Blue

Best perfume ever. Brings on compliments and has a scent that lasts all day.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No