Elizabeth Arden Red Door

2.8

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

This is all I wore when I was younger I used to obsess over this scent but I'm almost 40 now and I have discovered so many other lighter,fresher,sweeter fragrances now that tjmaxx and marshalls has them readily available at a good price I used to pay full price for this and I bought a bottle for 25.00 I still like it but it takes a lot out of me to wanna wear this its a good special occasion frag but not everyday. I think it has fallen into the classic scent category I'm done with Red door no matter how much they change the bottle lol!

Skin: Combination, Dark, Not Sure

After knowing about this perfume for over 20 years, I finally started wearing it after receiving a bottle as a gift. I love this scent and I wear it nearly everyday. A girlfriend of mine wore it all the time in high school. I do consider this to be a more sophisicated scent, but that doesn't mean anything. Anyone can wear it. I think it smells beautiful, that is all that matters.

on 11/14/2011 11:08:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Tan, Not Sure

As a winter's fragrance this is great. it is a cheap version from naecisso rodriguez , it is the exact smell but with less staying power that is why i gave it only 4 lippies..

on 11/11/2011 8:38:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Tan, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I have spent half of my life living at my auntys house in texas. and she wears this perfume EVERYDAY. its a huge comfort to me when ever i smell it. she got me my own bottle,, and i spray it sometimes at night time. I dont wear is as i am a younger teenager. but i love this perfume.

on 10/23/2011 5:23:00 AM

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

This sweet and powdery floral perfume is inoffensive, but hasn't become a real favorite of mine. Red Door seems somewhat generic, and, I hesitate to even say it, a little cheap. I find this impression odd based on the perfume's composition. It is made with many individual notes I love, like rose, lily, orchid, jasmine, freesia, lily of the valley, anise, peach, plum, orange blossom and honey. Maybe the problem is there are just too many scents in it, including rather potent base notes of sandalwood, cedar, amber and musk. The whole effect is very 1980s, a bit exaggerated and meant to inspire luxury and elegance. I find it to be heavily floral and sticky sweet, with an overpowering powdery finish. I really wanted to like Red Door, but perhaps it would better suit someone from a previous generation. It has a slight old lady feel to it, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it definitely doesn't work for me. I hate being overly harsh on this perfume, as I really love other Elizabeth Arden scents like 5th Avenue and Mediterranean. But in all honesty, I wouldn't buy Red Door again and have no idea what to do with the one I already have. However, if someone else was wearing it my first thought would not be, "Ugh, what a dreadful perfume." So not horrible, just not for me personally.

on 9/26/2011 1:58:00 AM

I used to like this scent...briefly when it was first released. But now? Okay here goes (I'm about to get gross so be warned). I think it seriously smells vaguely of menstruation on a pad. I know. Sorry. But seriously, it's like this ick, funky, hormonal smell (didn't think that was possible, but yes) mixed with a strong, cloying, florally-perfumey deodorant small blended in. Just so so gross. I smell it on people all the time and just about heave. Please ladies, move on to something less offensive if you possibly can. Chances are, even if you like it, the people around you do not. :/ Also, don't know why, but I've smelled this on a lot of ladies who clearly also smoke. So, maybe the smoking has deadened their sense of smell.

on 9/26/2011 12:52:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Dark, Warm

The grandmummy of Old Lady perfumes! Yuk yuk yuk! For some reason, my mother kept on stocking up on this horrid perfume over the years- she finally discovered the much kinder-on-the-nose Red Door Revealed (and I also gave her my unwanted Versace Woman which smells great on HER), so no more disgusting Red Door in our home (hopefully)!

on 9/20/2011 1:22:00 AM

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

The repackaged Red Door bottle is an improvement over the original. This is a very overpowering scent, but it does smell nice on the right person. I agree with others who say to use it sparingly. Less is more! Still, it's not a favorite though I will admit it's nice on the right woman.

on 9/19/2011 10:18:00 PM

I recently got a miniature eau de parfum bottle as part of a GWP and I really like it alot. However, this is a fragrance that should be used very sparingly. Like not even a full push of a spray sparingly. Since it's a very strong scent, any more would result in headaches. Used correctly, this could work as a beautiful, floral, feminine scent for anywhere, anytime.

I gave it a lippie off because you have to be super careful of the amount when applying it and the slightest bit of over-spraying could result in public-scent-terrorism. If you're used to fragrances that are more forgiving, are familiar only with ones created in this millenium and/or light fruity florals & marshmallowy gourmand scents (which is great in its own right), this fragrance might be somewhat startling. It's definitely worth giving it a chance, though. Red Door is a mature (not old!), sexy and refined scent.

Update as of 09/27: I've been using this about a week and have received many compliments from friends/family, coworkers and random strangers. To be honest, I've always considered Elizabeth Arden/Red Door to have kind of an "old" image so I'm pleasantly surprised to discover this oldie but goodie that works for me. I'm finding that with my body chemistry, it gives off a spicy, warm & glowing scent which isn't too heavy (due to the lack of musk). The drydown, especially, has a lovely, rich, honey scent. I think this fragrance is more suitable for colder weather.

Product description:
Top notes Lily of the Valley, Freesia, Wild Violets
Mid notes Red Rose, Moroccan Orange Flower, Jasmine, Ylang
Base notes Oakmoss, Sandalwood, Honey

on 7/28/2011 10:46:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Dark, Not Sure

I will start by saying that I HATE this in the EDT/EDP form but LOVE it in the body lotion form. The first time I smelled Red Door (1991), I was out at the mall with a few co-workers on our lunch break. A couple of them sprayed RD to test it and it was the most disgusting, putrid thing I'd ever smelled. Although it was a warm day, we HAD to ride back to work with the windows down. It was so pungent, overpowering and vial. I couldn't understand why anyone would want to wear something that smelled so bad. Well, fastforward a couple decades (2011), I decided to test the lotion just to see if it was still putrid. OMG! It was the most luxurious, richly floral fragrance I've ever come across. I immediately bought the bottle. I'm starting to realize that some of the funkiest (amber heavy) perfumes smell sooo good in lotion form. A prime example would be Victoria's Secret Rapture. Another stinker in perfume form, but glorious in lotion form.

Popular Fragrances