TendSkin Tend Skin

3.9

Isopropyl alcohol, water, propylene glycol, acetylsalicylic acid, cyclomethicone, glycerine.

on 1/24/2010 11:20:00 AM

I had been looking for a product that would prevent/treat ingrown hairs and bumps for my husband. He tends to get several bumps right underneath his jawline and neck from shaving. I asked for suggestions on this site and I was told to try tendskin. I went to Ulta and was shocked at the price but figured if it worked, it was worth it. It does work, he doesn't have problems with bumps pretty much at all anymore. He has been using it for a month now and the bottle is still almost full. I am pretty sure it will last him at least six months, so for $20 it really isn't too bad. I will definitely buy this for him again when it runs out.

Oh and I also used it after a brazilian wax and the result was the same. No bumps!

on 11/19/2009 3:02:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

This review is for the TendSkin deodorant. While is smells nasty and chemically upon application, it works at neutralizing odors. It is unscented, but one or two swipes under the arm is all you need for protection. My only issue is that I prefer to use natural products... I am loving my Hugo Naturals sea fennel and passionflower deodorant!

on 10/19/2009 10:06:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Other

HG status for ingrown hairs especially on the bikini line. It's very harsh in an exfoliation sense. If you use too much too often your skin will peel. At one point I did not use it on cotton pads I used my hands, next day I had peeling hands so it's strong and effective. One tip that I *think* makes it more effective is 1. use it on DRY skin, it also states this on the bottle 2. Use a moisturizer after.
In a pinch I've also used it as a spot treatment dabbed on a qtip but very rarely because as I said before it's very drying and strong.
The smell is SUPER strong, your bathroom will reek for a couple of minutes after.

on 9/16/2009 11:51:00 AM

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse

This is the ONLY ingrown hair treatment I've found that works. However it is ridiculously expensive for what it is and has a fairly short ingredients list so I make my own. Works just as well. I tend to add more witch hazel than the recipes you'll find. I think this makes it less harsh, I don't get any of the skin peeling probems other people have mentioned.

Skin: Combination, Olive, Neutral

Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse

On the plus side - it really does what it's supposed to, getting rid of painful ingrown hairs. Which is awesome.

On the minus side - it makes my skin peel in sheets. Like plastic wrap. So just as ugly looking, just less painful. Also, smells like vinegar.

Also - for the love of all that is holy, do NOT put this on wet skin. It will burn and you will shriek.

Until I can find something that works just as well but doesn't cause me to look like I have a skin disorder, I'll use it.

on 7/17/2009 2:50:00 PM

MY Absolute, #1, hands-down HG product for avoiding razor burn and ingrown hairs...ESPECIALLY in the bikini area =) I discovered this years ago and have never looked back. I've tried everything from bikini zone to DIY home remedies. Nothing has EVER helped me avoid razorburn on my somewhat sensitive skin, other than tendskin! I still get the occassional red bump, but overall, this is my miracle.

I won't lie...this can sting...but it WORKS! Fortunately my skin's reaction to this is brief, but I could see how some people could not deal with how harsh this product is - FYI it DOES contain aspirin which I think is the secret. I use this on any shaved area about 10 mins after exiting the shower, but before I step out of the steamy bathroom. The key is to work with it while your pores are still open, but this should be used only on DRY skin, as the package indicates. I'm not really sure if it's a chemical reaction or what, but the burn is much worse (and travels more) on wet skin.

Any shaved area gets so angry with me if I forgot my tendskin. I keep the little smpl bottles on hand for travelling, b/c I'd never be w/o this product. Yes, it's expensive - but so, so worth it. The largest bottle takes me about 3-6 mos to get through depending (I shave underarms, legs, and bikini area about 3x/wk on average.) On especially stubborn areas, I will use this the day after shaving as well to reduce ingrowns. Note again, this stings much less on completely dry skin. If you're very sensitive, use this at least 1 hr after a shower once pores close. May not work quite as well, but it won't bite back as much. I use an old soft towel to smooth this on my skin. I find a cotton ball or pad absorbs more of the product, deposits less on the affected area, and overall wastes more product. I have and will repurchase time and time again. I've tried other products from this line, but have only stuck with this one. I generally don't like the way the shaving gels, etc. smell. Yes, this smells like straightup rubbing alcohol which really bugs my fiance....my only big complaint! (But he still has stolen it many times when out of after shave...and even when he's fully stocked ;) Love it!

WARNING: especially for sensitive skin ladies. I've gotten what I believe to be chemical burns from this product in the past. The skin will STING like he!!, flush, turn red - eventually dissaptes for me - but I could see someone w/super senisitive skin having more permanent damage. I'm not knocking off a star - b/c sometimes beauty is pain and this stuff is AMAZING at what it does. However, I DO NOT think this is for all skin types, and would def. recommend doing a patch test before using over large areas!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

on 6/30/2009 8:02:00 PM

Did not work. The only thing it did do was sting really bad. Did not help ingrown hairs, or razor burn, or any other little red bumps from shaving.

on 6/8/2009 1:42:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Warm

Hair: Black, Relaxed, Medium

This is the best stuff I've found for ingrown hairs. Being caramel colored, I try my hardest to avoid anything that will cause scarring... but shaving is a must! So is eyebrow waxing... this helps to minimize any horrible breakouts. So I know this stuff is effective for ingrown hairs.It's expensive but worth it. But be warned... it STINGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

on 5/17/2009 9:33:00 PM

i'm african american and as such i am particularly prone to ingrown hairs. i have been using this for years and it works incredible well. there were times i couldn't get a hold of a bottle of this and would just grab one of those generic "bump stoppers" in the ethnic male shaving needs [these do not work half as well as tend skin, don't waste your time with them]. i like to keep my skin fairly hair free. i wax everything [armpits, legs, bikini area etc.]. though waxing SIGNIFICANTLY reduces the number of ingrown hairs i get [vs. shaving], i still can get a few if i don't use this. after i'm done with my waxing session i take a shower, pat my skin dry, then apply this. i place a few drops on a cotton pad then dab it on the area. yes, it stings, but i'd rather experience momentary pain that have ingrown hairs ruin my complexion. the next day i do the same thing, and it doesn't sting as much. i like to apply this once a day for about 2-3 days after waxing. that way i don't get ingrown hairs. if i've slacked on my usage of this and develop ingrown hairs, they usually subside within a week of use. it does have a vinegar smell as others have said, but i goes away within a few minutes of application. you may also note that a few days after usage your skin may get a little flaky [it is of course an exfoliant]. i usually remedy this by using a scrub or an exfoliating wash cloth in the shower then applying a moisturizer. if you've been suffering from ingrown hairs and have been unable to find relief, this will probably be your best bet.

on 4/22/2009 8:45:00 AM

I received samples of this product from the company directly. They have amazing customer service by the way.

Up front, let me say that while I did use the product in the way it's intended to be used, I also found it's a great cystic pimple reducer. It can be a little drying to facial skin, but I get hormonal breakouts and it worked wonders on them.

As for shaving bumps and ingrown hairs, another wonder.
One of the ingredients in the product listing is Isopropyl Alcohol, which can sting a bit on open skin. The Acetylsalicytic Acid is a common acne treatment ingredient.

I couldn't help but notice a vinager-y scent when I used it, but it faded quickly, although I was surprised to see there's no vinegar in it.

For those who feel it gets used up too quickly, I would recommend using a cotton swab (q-tip) to apply the product.
This way, you don't slop as much around where you don't need it.

Overall, I would highly recommend this product for it's outstanding performance and the really fantastic customer service.

Don't be fooled by imitators, this is the ORIGINAL product, and well worth the price.

I will definitely repurchase.