October 21, 2014 | 873 users online

Other - Ben Nye - Final Seal

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/29/2009 9:49:00 PM More reviews by KaiserMimiVII

Ben Nye makes quality stuff, and this is definitely one of those products. I used more bottles than I can count back when I did theatre makeup. It really is like a varnish, sealing in heavy duty stage makeup. However, I really advise the average person to abstain from using this on a day to day basis. It's very very strong (most people I apply it to find that it makes the skin sting) and quite harsh on the skin. I find that over the course of 3 weeks, it can really wreck havoc on a person's face. This isn't made for daily use but to bind greasy pigmented stage makeup to the skin under lights for a performance.

24 out of 24 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 12/6/2009 11:14:00 PM More reviews by vleemakeup

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Other, Fine Eyes: Brown

I bought this based on the reviews on this site & I'm quite impressed with it. It does keep my make-up on for longer than usual, but it doesn't make it waterproof (it is really humid where I live & perspiration is a given).

I tried to mist it on (hold it 20cm from my face above my head so it misted down onto my face), but this just made all of my make-up look speckled & gross. My next attempt was to spray my Napoleon Perdis 22b blush brush with 2-3 spritzes of the final seal them sweep it over my face (eyelids included). I've found this gives the best result - no speckled look, only a nice smooth flawless foundation look.

It does sting my eyes for a few seconds while I wait for it to dry, but I just close my eyes & wait for this stinging sensation to subside - definitely not bad enough to stop me from using this everyday. I use this in the morn & do my gardening & go to gym in my make-up that has been final sealed & even my partner commented on how fresh my make-up looks after all of my hard work when I use this final seal.

I'll be getting the 200ml bottle next time for $30AU - it seems to be the best value & I think I'll be using it daily so I might as well get the 2nd largest bottle that I can.

rated 3 of 5 on 12/4/2009 3:33:00 AM More reviews by flawlessbackflip

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

i was sick of my foundation and blush always coming off so i decided to try this. i also loved that it claimed to keep me matte, considering i have oily skin. after reading reviews and seeing that people had problems with the nozzle, i even bought an extra spray bottle but found that i didn't need it. my spray bottle works perfectly and mists perfectly. anyway, this keeps my foundation on and my blushes on and i am totally satisfied. the only problem is that this doesn't seem to keep me matte. i still get oily, but i suppose i will just have to deal.
edit: spraying this all over my face has been a problem. i don't like the idea of spraying my face, and i hate the way it feels after i've sprayed. and i don't like the smell either. it smells like strong rubbing alcohol. also, i have accidentally sprayed myself in the eye and ruined my makeup. not fun.
so overall, it keeps my makeup on, with the price of the bad smell, feeling and stinging of the gross liquid on your face, and not keeping you matte.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/30/2009 11:01:00 PM More reviews by meow-mix

Age: Unknown Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Green

i recently applied ben nye cream makeup to my and my husband's face for a costume. this was amazing. we were both sweating but the perspiration did not interfere with the makeup at all. no smudges at all, after 10 hours. no problems removing with a cleansing oil. one warning: i closed my eyes to spray on, and this sealed my mascara-ed lashes to my face. next time, i would apply mascara after using final set.

7 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/25/2009 12:52:00 PM More reviews by facebylace

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I bought this at a costume store and I was really happy to see Ben Nye products. I spritz this on and it has a menthol spearmint type of scent. The only reason I gave it a 4 instead of a 5 is because the spritzer bottle doesn't spray evenly. So for that reason you should take your powder brush and evenly blend the liquid. I find it helps control my oil from caking up my makeup. This product is especially good when you want to wear a full face of makeup and you know you'll be in the heat.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 9/4/2009 9:47:00 PM More reviews by megathon

I can't speak to how this works with theater make-up, but I wouldn't recommend this product as a make-up setting spray for the average person. I bought this because I was looking for a cheaper alternative to the Make Up Forever Mist and Fix (my favorite make-up setting product). This definitely isn't it.
While when I first started using it, it did seal my make-up well, I found that the effect was short-lived compared to that of the MUFE spray, and it wasn't sweatproof or waterproof. Then, after using this daily for a few weeks, I noticed that my foundation and primer would start flaking off a few hours after applying it because the alcohol was so drying.
Also, I found that this isn't mattifying at all--actually, I think that it makes my face look shiny when it isn't even oily yet.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/18/2009 10:59:00 AM More reviews by loverofmineralmakeup

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Other, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Coarse Eyes: Brown

Attention all MUA readers this is a HG product! I purchased the Ben Nye Final Seal Matte Makeup Sealer a couple of months ago in an attempt to keep the makeup on my face during the warm summer months - a battle I often loose, that is till I discovered this HG product. First let me preface my review by saying, I really enjoy this product’s refreshingly cool minty/tingly sensation when it spritzed on the face, so much so that I keep it in the refrigerator so it can be doubly cool and refreshing...ahhh!!!

On to my review, once I spritz this product on my face my makeup does not budge and I have tendency to glisten a lot in the summer months. Please know that this product removes easily with your regular cleanser so there is no need to buy Ben Nye Hydra Cleanse (which is recommended) to remove your makeup. I was concerned that this product would dry out my skin because it is alcohol base, however, I have not noticed any dry patches on face and I use this product daily. Also, I have successively used this product as mixing medium and it works wonderfully at this task – I adore products that are multi-takers.

I must admit it did take me awhile to get the hang of application of this product so here are my tips I learned from reading the previous MUA reviewers, you can use a dual fiber/fiber optic brush to brush the product on the face; you can spray it on a tissue and then put the tissue on the face and gently rub; or you can spritz the product in air, tilt your face upwards and the product will be evenly distributed.

Again, this is a HG product and I hope that every makeup wearer/lover has a similar product in their makeup collection and I would highly recommend that this product fill that role.

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 6/22/2009 8:03:00 AM More reviews by lsoorani

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

This stuff is a godsend for me!!! I perform in the Rocky Horror Picture show and wear heavy makeup. Because the theater is so crazy hot and there is a lot of running around, I sweat A LOT. Without this stuff my makeup will be completely smeared by the end of the show, but with its aid, it stays perfectly intact.

For application I hold it about 6 to 12 inches from my face and spray it twice. Also, I'm not sure if any one else has this problem but sometimes it wont spray evenly at first. What I do is spray it towards the ground once, and on the second spray it seems to work just fine.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 5/31/2009 1:04:00 PM More reviews by RuralAngel

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I was looking for a way to keep makeup fresh on a sweaty motorcycle ride. My eyes always water too. This product kept my makeup FRESH and solid from noon til after 10pm until I washed it off. This stuff works! It does seal all your makeup. Buy it! Spritz is not great so minus 1 lippy.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/18/2009 1:11:00 AM More reviews by SayoonaraSadness

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

HONESTLY THIS IS HG MATERIAL!!! I have very difficult to control oily skin. I've used so much oil controlling products like nivea,peter thomas roth, dr. brandt, cosmedicine, blotting powders from MAC and CoverFX, loose powders from Fyrinnae to Costal Scents Microspheres Silica Powder all promising to keep oil at bay for at least 6 or more hours. But none of this stuff lasted for more than 3 hours at most. I go through blotting sheets like nothing! Now if you have skin like mine you know how frustrating this is. I just got this magical stuff in the mail not too long ago, last night I went to an 11 hour dance party and used this stuff and what do you know? This sealer kept my makeup fresh for the entire 11 hours! MIRACLE!!! Call me crazy but this stuff is soooooo awesome. I havent tried anything that compares to this yet. I owned a couple of Ben Nye's eyeshadows and they were of great quality, haven't been disappointed with any of the products yet. This is definately my holy grail hands down. Can't say if i'd use this everyday though I would loooove to but I dunno how my skin would take it. Anyway if youre looking for something to set your makeup this stuff will definately blow you away.

5 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No