August 1, 2014 | 1876 users online

Other - Ben Nye - Final Seal

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 9/4/2009 9:47:00 PM More reviews by megathon

I can't speak to how this works with theater make-up, but I wouldn't recommend this product as a make-up setting spray for the average person. I bought this because I was looking for a cheaper alternative to the Make Up Forever Mist and Fix (my favorite make-up setting product). This definitely isn't it.
While when I first started using it, it did seal my make-up well, I found that the effect was short-lived compared to that of the MUFE spray, and it wasn't sweatproof or waterproof. Then, after using this daily for a few weeks, I noticed that my foundation and primer would start flaking off a few hours after applying it because the alcohol was so drying.
Also, I found that this isn't mattifying at all--actually, I think that it makes my face look shiny when it isn't even oily yet.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/18/2009 10:59:00 AM More reviews by loverofmineralmakeup

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Other, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Coarse Eyes: Brown

Attention all MUA readers this is a HG product! I purchased the Ben Nye Final Seal Matte Makeup Sealer a couple of months ago in an attempt to keep the makeup on my face during the warm summer months - a battle I often loose, that is till I discovered this HG product. First let me preface my review by saying, I really enjoy this product’s refreshingly cool minty/tingly sensation when it spritzed on the face, so much so that I keep it in the refrigerator so it can be doubly cool and refreshing...ahhh!!!

On to my review, once I spritz this product on my face my makeup does not budge and I have tendency to glisten a lot in the summer months. Please know that this product removes easily with your regular cleanser so there is no need to buy Ben Nye Hydra Cleanse (which is recommended) to remove your makeup. I was concerned that this product would dry out my skin because it is alcohol base, however, I have not noticed any dry patches on face and I use this product daily. Also, I have successively used this product as mixing medium and it works wonderfully at this task – I adore products that are multi-takers.

I must admit it did take me awhile to get the hang of application of this product so here are my tips I learned from reading the previous MUA reviewers, you can use a dual fiber/fiber optic brush to brush the product on the face; you can spray it on a tissue and then put the tissue on the face and gently rub; or you can spritz the product in air, tilt your face upwards and the product will be evenly distributed.

Again, this is a HG product and I hope that every makeup wearer/lover has a similar product in their makeup collection and I would highly recommend that this product fill that role.

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 6/22/2009 8:03:00 AM More reviews by lsoorani

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

This stuff is a godsend for me!!! I perform in the Rocky Horror Picture show and wear heavy makeup. Because the theater is so crazy hot and there is a lot of running around, I sweat A LOT. Without this stuff my makeup will be completely smeared by the end of the show, but with its aid, it stays perfectly intact.

For application I hold it about 6 to 12 inches from my face and spray it twice. Also, I'm not sure if any one else has this problem but sometimes it wont spray evenly at first. What I do is spray it towards the ground once, and on the second spray it seems to work just fine.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 5/31/2009 1:04:00 PM More reviews by RuralAngel

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I was looking for a way to keep makeup fresh on a sweaty motorcycle ride. My eyes always water too. This product kept my makeup FRESH and solid from noon til after 10pm until I washed it off. This stuff works! It does seal all your makeup. Buy it! Spritz is not great so minus 1 lippy.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/18/2009 1:11:00 AM More reviews by SayoonaraSadness

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

HONESTLY THIS IS HG MATERIAL!!! I have very difficult to control oily skin. I've used so much oil controlling products like nivea,peter thomas roth, dr. brandt, cosmedicine, blotting powders from MAC and CoverFX, loose powders from Fyrinnae to Costal Scents Microspheres Silica Powder all promising to keep oil at bay for at least 6 or more hours. But none of this stuff lasted for more than 3 hours at most. I go through blotting sheets like nothing! Now if you have skin like mine you know how frustrating this is. I just got this magical stuff in the mail not too long ago, last night I went to an 11 hour dance party and used this stuff and what do you know? This sealer kept my makeup fresh for the entire 11 hours! MIRACLE!!! Call me crazy but this stuff is soooooo awesome. I havent tried anything that compares to this yet. I owned a couple of Ben Nye's eyeshadows and they were of great quality, haven't been disappointed with any of the products yet. This is definately my holy grail hands down. Can't say if i'd use this everyday though I would loooove to but I dunno how my skin would take it. Anyway if youre looking for something to set your makeup this stuff will definately blow you away.

5 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/27/2008 9:38:00 PM More reviews by didi23

Yup I'd buy this again and again. One bottle lasted me 2 years and that's because about half of it spilled when I opened and dropped the bottle. Anyway, I use this mainly to seal in my brows after I pencil them in, or for my non waterproof eyeliners. I used to use Benefit's She Laq, but this is wayyyy cheaper and works and smells better. I've never really tried it to seal my makeup perhaps I would for a special occasion but not for everyday use for allover the face.

rated 1 of 5 on 11/18/2008 10:16:00 PM More reviews by Nights6789

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I been doing everything with the Ben Nye Final seal..why its not working for me??!?! My makeup still comes off .. I use Mac Studio fix fluid NW50 and NW55.. Liquid foundation ..do it not work with that kind?? Please help me.. somebody!! I sprayed it into the air and let it mist on my face I also use a sponge and wipe it on my face..what am I doing wrong?? Please someone reply with secrets, tips, or/and help to guide me. I feel that the product should work but Im not getting the results and all.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/7/2008 7:15:00 PM More reviews by opheliamagdalene

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Other Eyes: Blue

I don't think people realize this is THEATRICAL makeup- I use this frequently for that purpose, ( I recently finished a production of CATS) but I would never ever use this outside of the theatre.

AVOID your eyes- it burns like crazy. I always put my mascara on AFTER I use this- it never works on my mascara well.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/13/2008 1:53:00 PM More reviews by dee000

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

This is pretty much the only product that is HG for me!!! No matter which make up I use, it always looks awful after 1-4 hours, depending on the makeup. But when I spray final seal in the morning, my makeup stays all day long. Most new products I try I am on the fence about because I think I may see a difference, but I'm not sure. But on final seal, the difference is so incredibly noticable I will never be without it. I stopped using it for a while because I thought it was breaking me out, but I just kept on breaking out so I think it was the face wash that I had recently switched to. It also helped control oil better than any other product I use. Sometimes I use a primer powder and top powder with my mineral makeup, but when in a hurry I only use this and it helps significantly. I can't emphasize enough what a huge difference this makes for me and how much I love it. I think it can be kind of hard to find, but I found mine at my University Pharmacy. I just did a search on google for ben nye in utah and found a few places here that carry it. I think you can buy it on ebay too if you can't find it locally. TRY IT!!!
(When I first bought this, I went to Sally's and bought an empty little spray bottle after reading the reviews on here that the bottle is crappy, so I can't comment on that. Now I buy the big size so it doesn't come w/ a spray and I just refill the one from Sally's. It was $.89. Be careful to always clean the nozzle before spraying though because it crusts over and then can stream in random directions instead of spraying! I got a nice stream in the eye once - that didn't feel good. Close your eyes while you spray and wait a second for it to dry before opening. It literally is only 1-2 seconds you have to wait though.)

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 10/12/2008 6:04:00 PM More reviews by Mellsers528

I can't live without this! I have the worst oily skin and I used to have to blot and powder my face every 2 hours or less. I've tried every oil controlling primer, powder, setting powder, moisturizer, etc. out there and with this I can just use regular face products. For a primer I just use Monistat which has no oil controlling effect on my skin whatsoever and when spritz this over my makeup I only have to blot and powder my face ONCE throughout the whole day. It really keeps my face and eye makeup looking flawless. It was tricky to figure out how to apply and blend this in, even after reading the reviews here. I used to use my 187 to blend it in but that was the worst thing I could've ever done, it left my brush a wreck and I'd have to give it a deep cleaning after each use cause the bristles were rock hard. I just use a Mark foundation brush that has all synthetic bristles so it's a whole lot easier to clean and I pat it over my face after each area I spritz. I use a total of 4 spritzes, one on my left side, one on my right side of my face and two on my t-zone. If you have sensitive skin or if you exfoliate the night before there may be some slight stinging but it's totally bearable and goes away quickly, but then again this could give me nose bleeds and I'd still use it!