October 20, 2014 | 901 users online

Eye Shadow - Laura Mercier - Eye Basics

rated 4 of 5 on 2/5/2008 7:04:00 PM More reviews by waterchika

I got this when I was at sephora but they were out of UDPP. The girl showed me this and I went sure why not I am impatient. I have this in pink...I think that's what its called at least. Here is what I DO like about it...because it is pink it covers up any dark circles/discoloration on my eyes beautifully in the morning. And since it once again is pink sometimes when I am feeling really lazy/no makeupy it works as a natural eye color. However...I got this originally as a primer...and although it does an OK job...I find my eyeshadows creasing and all that by the end of the day so I think I'll go back to UDPP when this is used up...

*OK I had to edit it/give it 1 more lippie. I did some hardcore eye makeup yesterday with this under it and my eyeshadow didn't crease at all. Yay!

rated 3 of 5 on 1/9/2008 12:58:00 PM More reviews by tgkinley

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

Used to be my go to for an eye primer, but admittedly wasn't satisified (just figured it was my lids) -until I found Urban Decay Potion (now HG.)

This is nice, goes on smooth, dries quickly, but just doesn't hold shadow all day if your lids are sort of oily-prone. Also - you need to select a color, and lightest too light, wheat...too beige for me (Shiseido O2O.) UD Potion dries clear however.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/25/2007 12:38:00 PM More reviews by rolanda

I like this. I have it in Mocha and Wheat. Both work nicely for me, either alone or with other shadows. The Mocha, which is a lovely, taupy brown with a hint of purple, looks great on its own as a lid color. Wheat works great as a wash for a natural make-up day. It's a beigey vanilla color that wakes up my face. They both work great under other shadows. Now, having said all that, I do have a complaint. These can look really crepey on my 41-year-old eyelids. I have to be really careful with the amount I use and with blending. I've found that using a creme eyeshadow brush and a *very* small amount really keeps the crepeyness at bay. A few years ago, I didn't have this problem with them, so you younger girls, or any age with oily skin, might not experience this. For reference: fair/medium w/ green undertone, dark brown hair, v. dark brown eyes.

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 7/25/2007 5:28:00 PM More reviews by Marciaferrell

Age: Unknown Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This product is great for a primer for the eyelids. It makes your eyeshadow stay on all day with no creases. I have it in the Linen color which is light but the shadow covers the lighntness so it is fine. Next time I will get it in the Wheat. Great product. Highly recommend.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/24/2007 11:26:00 AM More reviews by dictatorprincess

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I was very surprised to read the negative reviews on this product. I have very pale skin and I have it in linen and find that it replaces eye shadow completely for me, it covers up my veiny eyelids and makes my eye look natural and clean. I put a little face powder on top or some chanel "blush" irrelle in Satellite (if you have seen Satellite you know why "blush" is in quotes), add some eyeliner and mascara and I'm off.

I did have an episode where it looked fake and creasy, but that is because i put on too much product. Use a light hand and this stuff is great. What I do is wipe off the excess on the sides of the tube and do three dots just above my crease and blend. It WILL look like chalk if you put too much on, but just because you don't know how to apply it does not make it a bad product in my opinion. I am glad I gave this another chance. Update April 08- I am bumping this down to four lippies because I don't like how it dries up like clockwork at the three month mark. I trash my eye products every three months generally, but will extend something to four months or so if there is product left. Good stuff but aggravating detail.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 6/3/2007 4:46:00 PM More reviews by Kayelle

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Like most of the negative reviews, I found this chalky and really difficult to blend. I have it in Linen, and no matter what I do with it it looks obvious and tacky. The packaging is decent, but to me that doesn't help if the product is inferior.

rated 3 of 5 on 4/12/2007 4:44:00 PM More reviews by th_butterfly06

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Based off all the reviews I had to try this. What it does help with is for the bottom eye lid. I always had trouble keeping eyeliner on my lower lid (I don't apply on my waterline, I apple below it) but with this product it does help the eyeliner stay on longer. It definitely DOES NOT help with creasing. I have yet to find anything that helps with eyeshadow creasing on my top lid. I just ordered UDPP online and waiting to try it out. Based off how well UDPP works, will depend if I re-purchase this.

rated 3 of 5 on 1/7/2007 11:17:00 AM More reviews by merilynn

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I got enticed into LM after reading reviews here. Also, when I first arrived at counter, a client told me how much she loved the line. I had a really nice counter person apply TM, concealer, and eye basics. I came home thinking that I really looked flawless, but after buying all these products and using them, I quickly changed my mind. I remembered that makeup artist spent a really long time smoothing out eye basics with handle of brush rolling it back and forth so it would be even. I wouldn't dream of spending several minutes rolling it on my eye to get flawless look. Have since had numerous makeovers where artists apply foundation over entire eye or concealer, and then foundation over entire eye and then makeup. That is a lot easier than applying eye basics as eye basics comes in a tube with applicator which other reviewers say causes it to go rancid quickly if one uses wand, so I apply with brush. I purchased this in wheat and the idea was that eye basics could be used in lieu of eye shadow, but when I apply it, it looks a little ghostly so I don't even bother too much with it.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 10/20/2006 12:46:00 PM More reviews by leopardskinny

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine Eyes: Blue

I got this RIS in Linen. I will start on the good points first. Okay, first of all, I loved the wand applicator in the little tube. Second, this product made my eyeshadow crease less than with nothing on underneath - no, not amazing or very good, but something worth mentioning. Onto the not so good bits. When I first opened up the tube I was all exited, reading the amazing reviews on here I was expecting this to make my eyes look great! First impressions of it were that it was a little gloopy, but whatever. My lids are normal- not dry, not oily, so I was expecting just your average application. I have come to the conclusion that this is more of a 'base' for eyshadow. Eg. Put on your primer, like UDPP, and then put on a layer of this for evening out eyelids. I gave this away to my little cousin and now I think I would like it back for putting on top of my UDPP for evening out my eyelids! It is okay I guess but a bit expensive for a base. Maybe I might buy/swap for this again. It did cover my imperfections well.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/6/2006 1:11:00 PM More reviews by Ms_Diorella

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I Bought eye basic in linin and really like it, makes my eyeshadow last longer and it looks freshly applied all day, Its non messy and easy to use, I bought the mercier eye basics brush to apply it with also, which makes it easy to use and you don't have to use much product at all so it's good value for money! I also got 2 of the mecier shadows the same day, Pearl and Temptation, they look great over the eye basic and pop out much better than with out using the basic!

Overall a very good product and pretty good value!