Desert Essence Lip Rescue w/ Shea Butter

4.3

Not tested on animals

Ingredients: Glycine soja (soybean) oil, beeswax, euphorbia cerifera (candelilla) wax, ozokerite, copernicia cerifera (carnauba) wax, butyrospermum parkii (shea butter), ginkgo biloba leaf extract, rosmarinus officinalis (rosemary) leaf oil, tocopherol, propyl gallate, mentha piperita (peppermint) oil.

on 1/30/2006 6:29:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

At first I liked this, it has a nice texture, and leaves your lips with a bit of shine, but it actually dried out my lips a bit, and I felt that I needed to reapply often. Would not repurchase.

TRIAL PERIOD: 1 day.
TEXTURE: it does sort of melt on your lips after you rub your lips together; when it's on the lips, it feels moist/smooth not waxy/sticky.
EFFECTIVENESS: after 1 hour, lips began to peel a bit and start to get dry again.

According to the site below, one of its ingredients called Propyl Gallate dries the skin upon brief contact and repeated contact can cause dermatitis and sensitivity of the skin.

on 12/8/2005 8:43:00 AM

This is my favorite lip balm - as others mentioned, it is not waxy, and just glides on your lips. It has a very light citrus scent which fades after applying. It does a great job of keeping my lips moisturized and is very affordable.

on 11/17/2005 2:17:00 PM

Wow. Love this stuff (and that means a lot coming from a hardcore lipbalm user like myself). I have chronically dry, chapped lips when the weather gets cooler and this is one of the best lip balms I've tried recently. It is a stick, but not at all waxy--it sorta melts onto my lips like a liquid and absorbs really fast but is protective just like a waxy balm. There's a light, sorta citrusy (?) scent that's barely noticeable when one first pulls off the cap. No taste. Cheap. Awesome! (btw: I've tried the Desert Essence Lip Rescue with Tea Tree Oil and didn't like it too much).

ETA: Okay, I don't like this much anymore. It's too oily-feeling and feels fine once it's on my lips and shortly after it absorbs, but like a lot of thin-feeling, slick balms, it tends to make my lips feel even drier once it's been absorbed/disappeared. Downgraded from a 5 to a 3.

on 9/20/2005 3:04:00 PM

Love this. I put it on after removing makeup, just before bed, and first thing in the morning to condition my lips. I don't wear lip"sticks" but I do wear tinted gloss over a base of this comfortable, pleasantly scented balm.

on 5/27/2005 12:37:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

It seemed to start out alright, but after using for a week or so, I chapping. And I use a ton of lip balm. I switched over to this in a fit of eco-awareness and regret it. It doesn't stay on and it doesn't seem to moisturize when it does stay on. Definitely will not repurchase. The lip balm is going in the trash.

on 5/16/2005 3:07:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm

Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine

This is my HG of lip moisturizers. It is a very unusual consistency, almost melts which takes some getting used to. The first few times I used it I didn't like it bc I almost thought that it was drying out my lips, but I stuck with it and my lips sort of exfoliated and then were nice and soft and smooth. Cool stuff!

on 2/10/2005 7:31:00 PM

I actually have this one in the jojoba oil and aloe version. It is very moisturizing almost all the time. But sometimes it doesn't moisturize (werid, huh?). Mint is one of the last ingredients so this balm smells a little like mint. It is a little glossy, feels slick and thin but lasts a long time! I bought mine at Mother's Market.

Skin: Combination, Dark, Warm

Hair: Black, Kinky, Coarse

Bought this after reading all the raves here. This balm is very moisturizing, but I have to use it very sparingly; otherwise it has a little too much 'slip.' I would prefer it if this had a little more staying power and a thicker consistency, but for $1.99, I can't complain too much. I would probably repurchase this one, if only because of the cost, but I can't say that I would seek it out.

The scent reminds me of a creamsicle. It doesn't bother me yet, but I can see how people might get sick of it.

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

This isn't my favourite lip balm but it's the one I carry around with me in the day for if my lips get very dry (to make my Clarins one last longer!) but I do prefer this one to apply a thin layer before lipstick, if the lipstick is dry (I do this with MAC Faux and Sandy B lipsticks and they actually feel very moisturising with just a tiny bit of this balm underneath). It's the perfect balm for that because it's light, but it's not waxy like the ultra-cheap lip balms and it's not greasy, thin and wet like Vaseline. Love the smell.

Popular Lip Treatments