Annick Goutal Eau De Charlotte

3.9

on 5/21/2005 12:17:00 PM

This should smell foody, with blackcurrant and cocoa notes, but it really does not have that effect. Not too sweet, the fragrance is rather elegant, unusual and very wearable. One of the few foody scents that's appropriate for adults. I've never smelled anything like this. I got this in a swap and immediately was charmed by its originality. A great find! 1 lippie off for poor lasting power (EDT version). EDIT: I swapped away my EDT bottle and soon realized how much I missed it. Thankfully, Saks in NY carries the EDP which I ended up getting. The lasting power is much, much better, and now I can enjoy this unique mimosa-blackcurrant jam-cocoa mix on a whim. AG's Sables was inspired by her husband. EdC was also a family affair: it was created for her daughter. How lucky for us that AG decided to share these two with us, since they happen to be the best and most unique fragrances in the whole line, IMO.

on 5/10/2005 4:19:00 PM

The friend who introduced this to me said to her gin never smelled so good. Since I have it I have been craving blackcurrant jam...Eau de Charlotte is a sweet and comforting scent IMO, the chocolate, mimosa and black currant combine to produce something that seems truly meant to scent the body--sensuous but somehow innocent and promising, like the first bite and taste of a dessert in a garden or yard under setting sun. A simple pleasure.

on 3/28/2005 11:07:00 PM

One of the most unusual scents out there: blackcurrant jam + cocoa. What a combo, eh? Child-like yet elegant at the same time. This is one of those scents for which I can't stop sniffing my own wrist - a sure sign that I need to get a full bottle, pronto! Perhaps not everyone will like it but it will certainly make you stand out from the crowd. For me, it's love.

Immediately after spraying, EdC was unpleasantly sharp and green, but it dried down into the softest whisper of a scent. As others have said, it's very elegant-foody. I can detect the currant jam and a light dusting of cocoa, as well as the sweetly powdery mimosa. Despite the notes, it's not oppressively sticky-sweet or strongly foody. It also is reminiscent of baby powder/babydoll head, but not in an obnoxious way. This is one of the best by far of the AG line. I'm hunting for a decant now...

on 3/20/2005 5:09:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Warm

call me crazy- i smell nothing but green grass, or dandelion stems... no cocoa, or anything else. so unappealing to me. i'm bummed.

This is one of the most unique scents I've EVER smelled. And it smells GOOD too!!! I'm getting a bottle soon soon soon!! At first application it's pretty strong & pungent with a green note in there. But that very quickly dies down and the fragrance morphs into what smells like a mix of vanilla, babydoll head, cocoa, a flower, and a slight touch of a nice powder. It's a very feminine scent too. Can probably be worn as casual or formal. I love it and have gotten nothing but compliments on it.

My first reaction was, 'this is too sweet', but in a second the sweetness became much softer. It is quite delicious, blackcurrant jam is evident and you can just smell cocoa. Lovely.

on 12/28/2004 6:32:00 AM

This has been one of my 2 signature scent for many years. I've bought Eau de Charlotte over and over and never get tired of it. It is light, feminine, with a delicate drydown. Usually I don't like florals, but this one is the only exception. It smells girly in a sense and so sexy. I use the EDP since the EDT has no staying power. I also love the Charlotte body lotion but apparently it is now discontinued.

on 12/17/2004 9:54:00 PM

I bought a large decant of this unsniffed because I was starting to branch into florals and this seemed like a good bet. On me it smells like those gourmet candied flowers--real flowers preserved with sugar. There's only a very tiny bit of cocoa in it for me. There's a dustiness (not a powderiness) that gives this scent a bit of "grit" that I like. It's lovely and light. I look forward to wearing it more in the spring and summer. UPDATE 7/05: Thanks to a suggestion I read on the board, I started wearing this over cake-scented lotion. The result is delicious!

on 12/16/2004 11:54:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

I just adore this perfume. It has a wonderfully soft, sweet scent. It's foody and light, without a touch of vanilla. The cocoa scent is kinda... in the middle. It smells a little like the way those cans of Ghiradelli's Ground Chocolate smell when you first open them. The currant smell is curiously fruity and a little green, but not tangy or sharp or anything. The entire scent is so smooth, so put together--there is absolutely nothing jarring or discordant here. My one and only complaint about this otherwise effortlessly lovely perfume is that it doesn't last quite long enough. However, it's so versatile and feminine that I can overlook that flaw and can already look forward to repurchasing.

Popular Fragrances