August 29, 2014 | 977 users online

Lipstick - NARS - Barbarella

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/26/2009 7:05:00 AM More reviews by Tigrou

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I love this lipstick because it instantly brightens my face. It is very sheer, which I think is what makes the color so pretty - it would look garish if it were opaque. This color is a soft, shiny, true peach color that is not overly warm and would work with most skin tones. It is great for a natural look and pairs equally well with a strong eye look. I really like this shade. The sheer formula lets enough of my natural lip color to show through, giving it depth. It is silky to put on and stays moist. However, if you have ANY dryness on your lips, this lipstick will amplify it 100%, so exfoliate your lips first. Looks great with a tan by the way!

EDIT I think this is my favorite NARS lipstick of all time.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 12/25/2008 8:05:00 PM More reviews by Justify_my_Love

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Beautiful color in the tube. A true peach shade that resembles the color of the skin of the fruit. However...where the hell is the pigment? Cherry Chapstick has more color! I applied layer upon layer of this, only to get the lightest tint of barely visible peach nothing. Either I got a dud, or this is the sheerest lipstick ever made. SO disappointed in this shade :-( NC 35-40, with unpigmented lips.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 11/16/2008 1:31:00 AM More reviews by liz91

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

This is my first NARS lipstick. I am disappointed. Considering all of the hype surrounding NARS, I expected a lot more. Barbarella is the best color EVER. I stood there in Sephora for the longest time sampling NARS lipsticks on my hand. I should've realized that the swatch was sheer, so it would be that way on my lips, too. It has no lasting power. And the color can hardly be seen on my lips. I am not a NARS convert. :(

EDITED 5/22/09: I decided to give this another try. For spring/summer, I like the fact this is sheer so as not to look overly done up. It looks natural. It is sheer, but I layer it on as much as possible to make the color more pigmented. I don't like the scent, but I do like the formula. It looks natural and is a nice change of pace. I plan to wear this a lot over the spring/summer. On my lips, it looks like peach with a brown undertone.

EDITED on 5/12/12: I threw this away. I hate the smell of NARS lipsticks. Deducted 2 more lippies.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/29/2008 9:40:00 PM More reviews by Iori

This is a peach-pink color that is similar to my natural lip color but just adds the peach tint to my lips.

Nice consistency and applies smoothly.

I don't care for the color, since I don't like peach makeup (tends to show up orange on me.) so I probably wouldn't repurchase.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/13/2008 4:27:00 AM More reviews by xtinemax

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

This is as close to a perfect lipstick I will ever find. My only gripe about it is that it's too sheer. Id rather have it be more matte and just apply it lighter. It wears off very quickly. But when it's on my lips, oh when it's on it is gorgeous. The perfect peachy pink nude. I hate the concealer on your lips look but I wanted something to make my lips look even and done up yet still natural. This does just that. I like the matte formula, it is drying but nothing that can't be fixed with blistex. But I thin you have to sacrifice a moisturizing formula for a nice matte color. I have tan skin and my lips are very red and when I put this on the color of my lips evens out and gets a little lighter, but not too light where it would make me look washed out thanks to the peachy pink in the lipstick. It looks great done sheer or layered on for a little more color. It looks so natural and fresh, innocent yet secretly sexy, it's so versatile and looks good no matter what I wear or do with the rest of my face. I love the packaging for all nars products which I admit was what drew me to the brand and the quality is always great.. expensive but worth it.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/2/2008 2:47:00 AM More reviews by StarfighterLily

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Just bought this today as it is the *perfect* semi-matte sheer lipstick for my PPP skintone. I usually do better with lipstains, but this is fantastic, and doubles as the perfect blush shade.

What I love about it, aside from that it gives my lips a smooth but matte effect with just the right pop of 'your lips but better' color, is that it's a true, non-muddy color, like a piece of melon. I have cool skin and light eyes that a lot of colors look muddy with or too intense. This doesn't. Also, I have a lot of red in my skin and pinks don't work for me... but corals are usually too orange or too dark.

This is just the ideal cool-toned peachy/melon nude.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 5/22/2008 6:00:00 AM More reviews by KKAI

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Red, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

I think this is one of the most dissapointing products that I have tried. I initially bought Napoli but I had to take it back because of the awful smell and the fact that it was too drying. The SA suggested Barbarella as the closest shade, although I think it has much cooler tones. When I tried it on, I was surprised at how sheer it was!!! My lips are not pigmented but there was hardly any colour!!! The drying effect was still there-I had to use a lipgloss on top to make it look decent! Considering how expensive it is, I think it is so not worthy! I might try another formula, but I think that I better stick with Nars blushes ( which are great!)

rated 4 of 5 on 3/20/2008 12:44:00 AM More reviews by babyslk7

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I bought this for my everyday lipstick. I have naturally mauve pigmented lips, yellow undertone, light/med skintone. The formula is in between sheer to light creamy texture, it's lightly pigmented, but not too sheer either. I can't wear sheer lipstick at all. All sheer lipstick will turn different on me, I hate it. The right formula for me would be creamy texture, so the color will show on my lips. Most of times I have to wear lip concealer from Japanese brand CANMAKE or dot little foundation on top or get a very nude skin tone lipstick as a base. Lots of work !!! I wished I do have a naturally light pinkish lips. This is is a peach color, very versatile and you can put gloss on top. This is my first NARS lipstick. It is a little drying in the beginning, but it won't peel your lips or give you that whitish marks....can't describe it well...That little flaking on your lips. I have that experience with MAC lipstick n lip gloss, sorry MAC is too drying for me. Overall, it's not bad. I would recommend Estee Lauder lipstick for their quality and formula. It doesn't dry out your lips at all, yessss. Love their formula.

rated 2 of 5 on 2/27/2008 8:58:00 PM More reviews by featheredgirl

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Maybe I don't appreciate nice lipsticks but I'm not loving this. I wanted lipstick and all I could find in my makeup bags were glosses (when did that happen?) I walk into my local Sephora and said "what do you recommend?" I was told that Nars is where it's at.
Barbarella is "sheer peach." Not so sheer IMO. And despite Sephora-boy's affirmations, the color is too light for my naturally darker lips. (And I'm a freckled PPP!)
The formula is drying and at $24 a pop, I don't think I should have to fuss with balm, etc. I've liked $6 Revlon lipsticks more!
So...pale-icky color with a drying formula that settles into the tiny lines of my lips, only to crumble and flake. Yuk.
Time to return it. **UPDATE** Well, I procrastinated and never returned the stupid thing, so I gave it another try. I still hate the formula but the color has grown on me a little. I just can't wear pale lipsticks, though, my lips are naturally too dark. I'll keep this in my purse and wear it with a strong eye.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 1/18/2008 1:20:00 PM More reviews by ccope4

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

Sorry to add a negative review, but I'm not even that harsh of critic on lip products, yet this one is going right back to Sephora. It was sooooo drying. I had lip flakies and my lips looked anything but full and lush after applying.
I really wanted it to work and applied a balm first, I tried a gloss over it, without gloss, without balm, and nothing worked. I admit the color is sheer and light and would be really good if it were not so drying and lasted longer. It seriously seemed to last less than an hour once I applied it.
I can definitely find something the same color and better quality elsewhere, so only two lippies.