October 24, 2014 | 1804 users online

Liquid - Estee Lauder - Double Wear [old formula - REFORMULATED]

REFORUMULATED 2012 Please see http://www.makeupalley.com/product/showreview.asp/ItemId=159975/Double-Wear-Stay-in-place-Makeup/Estee-Lauder/Liquid for the current formulation of this product

rated 5 of 5 on 1/21/2013 2:57:00 AM More reviews by soccerloverAGC

This is my FAVORITE foundation! I have been using it for the past year and don't ever want to change foundation. It goes on so smoothly, especially with the Estée Lauder perfecting primer (PERFECT COMBO). Doesn't leave your face cakey (I have oily skin), and looks beautifully once you have put it on. It's abit pricey, but well worth it.

rated 1 of 5 on 1/20/2013 10:17:00 PM More reviews by Lilibaba

Double Wear was my holy grail foundation for 8 years, but this is where our friendship ends. The lightest shade - which was a tad too dark for me - Shell, has been replaced by an obnoxious yellow/orange/dark shade, which is no substitute to the 1C1 shell colour, making it absolutely unwearable for me.

When I heard EL was going to introduce new shades, I was delighted, thinking they will finally add some shades to the very pale and the very dark ends of the spectrum, catering towards more ladies. Instead, they just replaced some trusty old shades, with horrible new ones.

This would be enough for me to never buy again, but just to make sure I will stay away from this product, EL changed the formulation too. It is thin, not long-lasting, streaky, settles into lines, yuck!

(My mother has been wearing the Fresco shade, 2N1 for 10+ years, now they changed that one too, although the name stayed the same, the new shade is a LOT darker and tango orange!)

I loved this foundation, but I will never buy again. I find it absolutely outrageous that after such an obvious change the sales assistants try to convince you that the shades are the same, they have just been renamed.

REALLY disappointed!

12 out of 12 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 1/19/2013 5:50:00 PM More reviews by justacupoftea

Over the last few years I have tried many foundations but I always return to double wear just because the finish is unlike any other. If you like full coverage matte finish this is for you. I prefer to apply with my fingers as double wear does tend to dry down quite fast so I can work quickly this way. The only thing that could be improved about this product would be the option of adding a pump as I find myself pouring out too much & as it is a pricey foundation I want to save every last bit!

rated 5 of 5 on 1/19/2013 3:17:00 PM More reviews by sarasophia

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Note: I have really dry and sensitive skin. Most foundations seperate and peel of my skin within a few hours (e.g. Chanel VA). This foundation, however, makes my skin look flawless and whilst actually being a matte foundation, my dry skin always looks hydrated when I wear this. I does not feel heavy on my skin and makes me look flawless. I only wish it came with a pump.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/18/2013 8:31:00 PM More reviews by Lourdesmaria

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

Def. good for a long night out ... super matte, but hard to apply. finally figured it looks best with a damp beauty blender... the coverage is good but i still need a concealer for my acne scars..
    would purchase again, but eh didn't wow me.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/18/2013 5:07:00 PM More reviews by gimmeglamour

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

LOVE. This is my new HG foundation. I was hesitant upon purchasing it, because I generally do not spend that much on foundation, but I figured it wasn't too far from the $28 I usually spend on MAC Studio Sculpt, so it was worth a try. I LOVE THIS. I do not have to use any concealer when I wear it and it lasts all day. I purchased this in Fresco (I'm an NW20 in MAC) & wow, the color couldn't have matched my skin any more perfectly. My grandma used to use this before she passed, and so I always associated Estee Lauder with senior citizens, but it is my new favorite and I am sure once I run out if I can afford it, I'll repurchase. My only qualm, is that I wish it had a pump applicator, instead of the screw off bottle. It is easy to get this all over the bottle and on other products, since I do use my fingers to apply it. Other than that & the price, no complaints here!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/17/2013 10:58:00 PM More reviews by babyjane14

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Relaxed, Medium Eyes: Brown

I am reviewing the new formula of Double Wear that Estee Lauder released in 2012.

Estee Lauder recently vamped up their formula and also came out with new shades that have more of a warm-yellow undertone. I was matched to the shades, 2W2 Rattan & 3W2 Cashew mixed together, which suits my NC35 coloring but I didn't want to purchase both so I decided to get the lighter shade Rattan and just use a bronzer. Cashew I believe would be perfect for someone who is NC40 and Rattan would suit between NC25 - NC30.

I have very oily, sensitive, acne-prone skin and this is definitely a matte, long wearing foundation that can withstand humidity/heat better than any foundation I've tried. It keeps my t-zone matte reasonably, I only have to blot and powder by lunchtime on a working day and it doesn't aggravate my skin or cause breakouts but I have noticed slight clogged pores especially around my nose, but no breakouts.

It lasts beautifully, I've gone through a whole work day and into the night and I still have a relatively matte, concealed complexion, its amazing for its lasting power! I apply this with my fingers to warm up the product so that its easier to spread. If I needed to pick at something, it would be the application; Its not very "spreadable" and you have to buff it in fast, but as long as you get the hand of it, it looks flawless.

This does dry down a bit 'stiff' feeling. I can't explain it but you can feel it on your skin and it is not moisturising whatsoever. It feels very noticeable for me personally when I have it on. I was quite surprised when I used this for the first time, after reading so much reviews and watching people on YouTube applying this endless amounts of time, I expected it to be full coverage but it isn't. This new formula has a medium-buildable coverage and I needed to go over certain areas with more foundation or concealer.

Double Wear does have SPF and it unfortunately does flash back for me, so it's not the best for flash photography.

The packaging is classy with the gold lid and frosted glass but no pump which I'm not impressed with for a high-end foundation. I prefer pumps for hygeine so for the price I would expect one.

Overall, I'm happy that I picked this up as its fast become a favourite for extreme heat and humidity. I feel it is a bit heavy for my liking if I wear it all over so I like to use this exclusively in my t-zone to control oil which is works great for. Highly recommend you try this out!

rated 1 of 5 on 1/17/2013 4:20:00 PM More reviews by JennStang

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

Double Wear foundation has been my Holy Grail for many, many years. I have super oily skin, and this foundation used to be the only one that could even begin to stand up to the oil slick that is my face. Note the key words "used to" in the previous sentence. About a week ago, I was running low on my bottle of DW in Dusk (2C1), so I ran out to Belk to get another bottle. I knew that EL recently added some new colors in the DW line, and I knew they'd taken out the SPF (which I wasn't happy about, but trusted that the oil control and the shade I wear would still be the same for me). When I got to Belk, I saw that Dusk is now labeled as 3C1, and it's darker than my old bottle of Dusk (which still has a tiny bit left). The EL counter person encouraged me to try Dusk anyway, even though I was fairly certain it would be too dark. It was, so a couple days later, I go back to Belk to attempt to find my shade. I have pink undertones, so the cool shades normally work best for me. This time, the counter person gave me 1N1 (Ecru)...it was too light. So tonight, I'll be returning it, and I probably will not even attempt to get matched up with another shade. I hate that EL chose to remove the SPF- even though an SPF of 10 isn't much, it's still better than nothing. I've also noticed that I get oil breakthrough a LOT sooner than I used to, now that EL has this new formula. It doesn't have the staying power that the old formula did. Overall, I was very impressed with the old formula, and would've given it 5 stars easily. This new formula doesn't even begin to compare to the old formula, and I really don't understand why EL wanted to fix something that wasn't broken. I'm very disappointed with the new DW, and judging by the reviews on the EL website, I,m definitely not the only one. Lots of ladies are complaining about the same things I am: less staying power, no SPF, and issues with finding their correct shade in the new formula. I guess it's time to start the search for another brand of foundation that will work for my oily skin, which won't be an easy task. I would not buy this foundation again, unless EL goes back to their old formula and shades.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/16/2013 5:50:00 PM More reviews by Indiiii293

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Positives: This product is perfect if you have oily skin. My own skin has always been super oily and I have always found that foundations stay matte for only a few hours until eventually looking super greasy :(. I bought double wear due to the highly positive reviews on it keeping your skin matte all day. To my surprise and joy it did just that! I have never had a foundation which kept my skin soooo matte. I was amazed getting home after a 9 hour shift that my skin was still matte...without using powder.

Negatives: Although the bottle is classy, it is really hard to get the foundation out of as it has no pump. Probably the biggest flaw of DW is how I find it really hard to apply and spread on my skin as it dries super quickly. I would definitely NOT recommend this product for dry skin as it will highlight any dry areas and is not hydrating. It would probably be easier to apply after using a moisturizer and/or primer.

Overall this product gave me what I wanted, matte skin! Due to this I would probably buy again however it is pricey for a student like me.

rated 1 of 5 on 1/16/2013 1:08:00 PM More reviews by ILoveHotMom88

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

{Sigh} How I love this liquid foundation, it's one of the best out there. I've used Mac for Years and wanted to try something new. I wear the color spice, It is full coverage and gives a flawless look but unfortunately it made me breakout in cystic acne!!!!! So this will no longer be used by me. Such a shame, I heard they changed the ingredients maybe that has something to do with it.