Dior Miss Dior

Hair: Brunette, Other, Medium

I had the good fortune of smelling the vintage Miss Dior from a very generous MUAer. Lucky me! It's a gorgeous leather chypre that really opens up to reveal a hot femme fatale, dashing about on some metropolic avenue; miticulously put together wearing a new buttery leather coat, dark sunglasses and fine french silk scarf blowing in the cool breeze. You get behind 'Miss Dior' in line (que) at the pharmacy-- you can smell gardenia (probably her bathsoap), the coat, and a very soft floral sprayed on her scarf. Very french and elegant! From what you see in her basket; she's just run out to pick up a last minute bottle of wine, birth control and candles. That coat hides what she's wearing underneath, but you manage to get a glimpse to reveal some fine french black lace underneath. A sexy dress or is it her lingerie? Oh my! This gal is packing heat for sure! If you are a guy you want to follow her home -- if you are a girl you might want to follow her home as well - she's that sexy! She's what most women want to be at some stage during their life -- sexy, mysterious and quite possibly down-right dangerous! Miss Dior should be worn during that time in a woman's life -- when she is/feels that sexy -- from 18 - 80! Elegant, timeless, sophisticatication with some danger thrown in for balance. This is how I wanted Bandit to be, yet unfortunately wasn't. Leather, lace and a little naughty... wear it the next time you want to be mysterious and heat things up a notch or two. A scent to enjoy in any season for those occasions where you want to make a statement of profound feminine desire and passion.

on 9/8/2007 7:39:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Other, Fine

Very sharp and dusty on me. Too dry, too edged. There was no elegance or sophistication here, just a spoiled woman yelling to have her own way. Not for me.

on 8/30/2007 10:51:00 AM

I've been wearing this scent since I was 6 years old. I still have the tiny bottle I was given as a gift. I have since purchased large bottles of my own, along with the body lotion. It is a timeless, classic fragrance that I pray will never be discontinued. I suppose it I had to name a signature scent, this would be the one.EDIT: please take note that the original forumla and the relaunched formula are different. My tiny bottle of vintage Dior (pre-1992) smells much different from the modern version, but both smell heavenly on me.:)

on 8/24/2007 4:07:00 PM

To me this is classic, inoffensive and very low-risk. I get mostly white flowers and a hint of soapiness, drying down to a very gentle slightly-soapy leather in about two hours. Nicely done but does not wow me. I might wear it as a daytime scent if I got it as a gift but I don't actually feel compelled to purchase it for myself.

Feminine, female
Reserved (close, withdrawn, upstage)
Subtle bouquet
Hints of powder
French
60ies
London
Resinous (Galbanum and Labdanum)
Aromatic
Herb(al), dry, harsh, wild
Centered

Mysterious and bittersweet, like a deep well in an enchanted castle’s backyard…
Controlled, orderly, crisp (as Anya once commented on it). At first sight… after that layer an animal is hidden. A female one.
A beast inside the beauty.

Imagine creamy gardenias on a bed of moss, in shadowy but sun-peeking-through woods.

Official notes:
Top Notes: clary sage, gardenia, galbanum

Heart Notes: Rose, jasmine, neroli

Base Notes: Patchouli, oakmoss, labdanum.

(Vetiver, leather, aldehydes, iris, narcissus, carnation, lily of the valley, ambergris, sandalwood are also mentioned by some)

FINALLY! My Holy Grai!

This is a beautiful, elegant, soft, understated floral/green scent. It's a fragrance for a sophisticated, glamorous woman who wears a lot of black and white and carries herself with confidence and style. It's a throwback to old-fashioned beauty.

It has always been my mother's signature scent, so I am incredibly biased--and I probably wouldn't wear it myself because, well, it belongs to my mom! I think I'd feel like I was wearing someone else's clothes. But I hope Dior never stops making it. It's just lovely. continued >>

on 2/2/2007 2:47:00 PM

Miss Dior is exceptional; it's very much a classic, with a cool leather chypre composition that ties it to another time, but it's also extremely contemporary, and can be worn easily and well by a young woman. I've noticed that many chypres and leather fragrances share this ageless quality - Gres Cabochard, Chanel's Cuir de Russie, and Tabac Blond have all been around for quite a while, but they also share a certain aura of strength, intelligence and poise, which prevents them from ever seeming "dated." In fact, I'd classify Miss Dior as Cabochard's demure, dressed-up sister. It opens with slightly sharp green top notes, predominated by sage; I like this part quite a bit, but can see why it's off-putting to those who don't like sharp angles in their fragrance. However, it quickly opens up into a lush, faintly powdery bouquet of gardenias over a mossy leather base. This phase of the perfume's evolution should please anyone with a nose on their face; it's a perfect balance of delicate femininity and elegant restraint, and it really does seem to echo the perfect (never equaled, in my opinion) "New Look" of Dior's first collection. I've had the opportunity to wear both reformulated and vintage Miss Dior, and I will admit that the vintage is better; the leather (my favorite note) is deeper and more noticeable, and there is an animal darkness in the mix that I really do love. The new Miss Dior is thinner, fresher, and a bit sharper, but it's still very lovely.

As for the "old lady" comments - well, skin chemistry is a mysterious thing, but in my experience, these comments are completely unfounded. I'm twenty-four, and Miss Dior is the only fragrance that my boyfriend has spontaneously described as "sexy." If you understand the appeal of vintage '40s fashion, or if you know why Lauren Bacall and Bette Davis are so much hotter than Jennifer Aniston and Lindsay Lohan, then you probably "get" Miss Dior. If you need to smell like strawberry snow-cone syrup to feel attractive, well, good luck to you - God knows that there are a lot of scents targeted for people with your tastes.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

Smells old ladyish, looks old ladyish, and reminds me of a sharp Vanderbilt.
The pristine daughter {Miss Dior Cherie} far surpasses this common, outdated, over-rated fragrance. Perhaps I'd have had a higher opinion of this if not for sampling the delights of MDC and even any of the Poison range before this. They are extremely different to this, and far better.

on 12/29/2006 10:03:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

Such an elegant scent! On me it starts very sharp but after 15 mins or so it mellows to a fantastic powdery smell with a trace of aldehydes. It reminds me of elegant ladies I used to aspire to as a child...I wear this at evening functions but also during the day (but not in the summer as I find it too strong). I love it! But you are not going to like it if you like the modern floral/fruity fragrances (which are not to my taste), Miss Dior is totally different.

on 12/17/2006 12:57:00 PM

It`s unusual - very old-fashioned from the start (both the bottle and the scent). I don`t know whether I like it or not - should have another try. The scent is calm, it doesn`t catch you, it doesn`t overwhelm you, it reminds me for some reason jf Jane Birkin (but I don`t know why:) I lso think it`s classy. Absolutely. I was also surprised that it had nothing in common with its up-dated version Miss Dior Cherie - which is modern and fruity and ... not classy -:)

Popular Fragrances