October 2, 2014 | 1863 users online

Fragrances - Christian Dior - Miss Dior

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 8/24/2007 4:07:00 PM More reviews by CecileCecile

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

To me this is classic, inoffensive and very low-risk. I get mostly white flowers and a hint of soapiness, drying down to a very gentle slightly-soapy leather in about two hours. Nicely done but does not wow me. I might wear it as a daytime scent if I got it as a gift but I don't actually feel compelled to purchase it for myself.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/17/2007 2:12:00 PM More reviews by lillie_munster

Feminine, female
Reserved (close, withdrawn, upstage)
Subtle bouquet
Hints of powder
French
60ies
London
Resinous (Galbanum and Labdanum)
Aromatic
Herb(al), dry, harsh, wild
Centered

Mysterious and bittersweet, like a deep well in an enchanted castle’s backyard…
Controlled, orderly, crisp (as Anya once commented on it). At first sight… after that layer an animal is hidden. A female one.
A beast inside the beauty.

Imagine creamy gardenias on a bed of moss, in shadowy but sun-peeking-through woods.

Official notes:
Top Notes: clary sage, gardenia, galbanum

Heart Notes: Rose, jasmine, neroli

Base Notes: Patchouli, oakmoss, labdanum.

(Vetiver, leather, aldehydes, iris, narcissus, carnation, lily of the valley, ambergris, sandalwood are also mentioned by some)

FINALLY! My Holy Grai!

7 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/8/2007 7:57:00 PM More reviews by snugglebunnyjm

This is a beautiful, elegant, soft, understated floral/green scent. It's a fragrance for a sophisticated, glamorous woman who wears a lot of black and white and carries herself with confidence and style. It's a throwback to old-fashioned beauty.

It has always been my mother's signature scent, so I am incredibly biased--and I probably wouldn't wear it myself because, well, it belongs to my mom! I think I'd feel like I was wearing someone else's clothes. But I hope Dior never stops making it. It's just lovely. continued >>

rated 4 of 5 on 2/2/2007 2:47:00 PM More reviews by djuna

Miss Dior is exceptional; it's very much a classic, with a cool leather chypre composition that ties it to another time, but it's also extremely contemporary, and can be worn easily and well by a young woman. I've noticed that many chypres and leather fragrances share this ageless quality - Gres Cabochard, Chanel's Cuir de Russie, and Tabac Blond have all been around for quite a while, but they also share a certain aura of strength, intelligence and poise, which prevents them from ever seeming "dated." In fact, I'd classify Miss Dior as Cabochard's demure, dressed-up sister. It opens with slightly sharp green top notes, predominated by sage; I like this part quite a bit, but can see why it's off-putting to those who don't like sharp angles in their fragrance. However, it quickly opens up into a lush, faintly powdery bouquet of gardenias over a mossy leather base. This phase of the perfume's evolution should please anyone with a nose on their face; it's a perfect balance of delicate femininity and elegant restraint, and it really does seem to echo the perfect (never equaled, in my opinion) "New Look" of Dior's first collection. I've had the opportunity to wear both reformulated and vintage Miss Dior, and I will admit that the vintage is better; the leather (my favorite note) is deeper and more noticeable, and there is an animal darkness in the mix that I really do love. The new Miss Dior is thinner, fresher, and a bit sharper, but it's still very lovely.

As for the "old lady" comments - well, skin chemistry is a mysterious thing, but in my experience, these comments are completely unfounded. I'm twenty-four, and Miss Dior is the only fragrance that my boyfriend has spontaneously described as "sexy." If you understand the appeal of vintage '40s fashion, or if you know why Lauren Bacall and Bette Davis are so much hotter than Jennifer Aniston and Lindsay Lohan, then you probably "get" Miss Dior. If you need to smell like strawberry snow-cone syrup to feel attractive, well, good luck to you - God knows that there are a lot of scents targeted for people with your tastes.

18 out of 19 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 1/19/2007 2:59:00 PM More reviews by prettyelectric

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Smells old ladyish, looks old ladyish, and reminds me of a sharp Vanderbilt.
The pristine daughter {Miss Dior Cherie} far surpasses this common, outdated, over-rated fragrance. Perhaps I'd have had a higher opinion of this if not for sampling the delights of MDC and even any of the Poison range before this. They are extremely different to this, and far better.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/29/2006 10:03:00 AM More reviews by expatriot

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Such an elegant scent! On me it starts very sharp but after 15 mins or so it mellows to a fantastic powdery smell with a trace of aldehydes. It reminds me of elegant ladies I used to aspire to as a child...I wear this at evening functions but also during the day (but not in the summer as I find it too strong). I love it! But you are not going to like it if you like the modern floral/fruity fragrances (which are not to my taste), Miss Dior is totally different.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/17/2006 12:57:00 PM More reviews by pearlywhite

It`s unusual - very old-fashioned from the start (both the bottle and the scent). I don`t know whether I like it or not - should have another try. The scent is calm, it doesn`t catch you, it doesn`t overwhelm you, it reminds me for some reason jf Jane Birkin (but I don`t know why:) I lso think it`s classy. Absolutely. I was also surprised that it had nothing in common with its up-dated version Miss Dior Cherie - which is modern and fruity and ... not classy -:)

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/16/2006 4:06:00 PM More reviews by purplebird

Age: 44-55 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Otherworldly. Provokes intense nostalgia. Long ago, the face of a new plastic doll, which smelled sweet and addictive. You wished the elusive scent would never dissipate, but you knew it would, so you buried your nose in the plastic and breathed deeply. Only some toys had this scent. Most didn't, but you knew it when you found one because you couldn't stop sniffing it.
(Was it the type of plastic? Or did the toy manufacturers of that era scent their plastic with a Miss Dior knockoff?) You will never know.
Miss Dior is greater than the sum of its parts. Exotic florals, well-rounded oakmoss, delicious labdanum. But where is that fruitiness coming from? If it were a color and a taste, it would be pale, pastel yellow artificial banana candy. Drives me crazy.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/30/2006 7:46:00 AM More reviews by Sherrie11

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I've worn Miss Dior off and on over the years - so many years! :-) I'll always love it. I'm really into classics. I like many different types of fragrances but there are few anymore that I actually want to own a full bottle of. Here're my criteria: a white shirt, a black turtleneck. It it suits to a "T" either of those two items, and can be worn anytime/anyplace, then it's a keeper. Miss Dior is a keeper.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/29/2006 8:45:00 AM More reviews by Clearing

Age: 44-55 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I just get the feeling that this is what Aromatics Elixir wanted to be when she grew up, but she fell in with the wrong crowd, the tawdry group, the loud boisterous ones who wear too much of everything. Miss Dior is merely a scent fraction of Aromatics Elixir. Fortunately it's the fractional part of AE that I love. AS another said, it is something like Dioressence, but I'd say it's a shadow of Dioressence, not a competitor. Basically this Miss Dior is a little potion of mossy tobacco and leather notes, with sage and jasmine-rose accents. She doesn't screech a lot of flowery middle notes or sweet top notes. Subdued subdued subdued. A scent for a rainy day and a game of chess.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No