April 19, 2014 | 1078 users online

Treatments - Burt's Bees - Doctor Burt's Res-Q Ointment

rated 4 of 5 on 5/29/2008 5:49:00 AM More reviews by lightxl

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I can't use neosporin because of an allergic reaction, so this is the next best thing for me. I love the smell and applying it is fun.

rated 3 of 5 on 4/4/2008 4:16:00 PM More reviews by GTgirl

I got this in one of little kits ( i have the small tin that looks like lip gloss, not the big one). I had no idea what to use it for so i use it on my cuticles and mainly on my lips. I use it alot, so much that when im done washing my face i am looking for this stuff to put on my lips. I know its not for lips but i cant help it. Anyway i really like the look it gives. Sort of a natural shine but not GLASSY. i really like this stuff.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 4/3/2008 3:03:00 AM More reviews by Metraria

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

PLEASE DO NOT PUT THIS ON BURNS!! Forgive me for e-yelling, but the older packaging for this product advises consumers to apply this to burns, which is something any first aid guide will explicitly tell you *not* to do. Oils and butters should *never* be applied to burns, as they will prevent the wound from healing properly, and can make the injury even worse. This goes for sunburns, too. If a sunburn itches and peels, aloe vera gel can safely be applied, instead. Sure, you'll still survive that mild sunburn if you put oil on it. But it will probably heal more quickly if you don't. Reliable first aid information from trustworthy sources is easily found online, and I hope that those with minor injuries will take advantage of these free websites. A search for "burn first aid" or "sunburn first aid" will quickly turn these sites up.

Now, normally it wouldn't occur to me contradict anyone on Makeup Alley, since we all have such different experiences with the products. However, I'd hate to think of someone being harmed by this ointment. And, trust me, I've seen plenty of minor injuries turn into ER visits due to improper care. (An acquaintance managed to let his ingrown toenail turn into gangrene, of all things.) It seems that the newer tins no longer feature this dangerous advice, but I still think it's incredibly irresponsible of the company.

As for the product itself, it's a run-of-the-mill butter that I use on my cuticles and very dry skin. In fact, as one reviewer mentioned a couple of pages back, this product has virtually the *exact* same ingredients (aside from fragrance) as a couple of other Burt's Bees products: the Hand Salve and the Lemon Butter Cuticle Cream. Those products are marketed as moisturizers, with no claims about healing properties. Anyway, like shea butter, Res-Q Ointment is solid at room temperature, and melts with body heat. I scrape up a little with the convex side of my nail, and rub it in. Nothing bad, nothing special--aside from the extraordinarily bad advice on the tin.

And, not to be a further spoilsport (or even worse, snarky), but there is nothing less skanky than an antibiotic ointment like Neosporin. For minor injuries that don't break the skin, Neosporin is useless, and Res-Q Ointment may provide some relief. Nevertheless, one is medicine, and the other is moisturizer. While each has its function, those functions don't overlap. continued >>

12 out of 18 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 3/31/2008 10:49:00 PM More reviews by AFtennisbabe04

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I received this as part of a gift a little while ago but never really found a use for it. For several days I have had this huge red zit on the side of my cheek that had been irritating me. I so badly want to have clear skin but it never fails, everytime I get close something crazy happens. Anyways, I happened to notice the bottle in my mess off makeup, read the back, and decided to give it a try. Keep in mind I am writing this like 4 hours after applying to the zit and it has significantly gone down. I am AMAZED! Since it has only been a few hours I will update again on how long it takes to completely go away but thus far I am addicted to this stuff!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

rated 5 of 5 on 3/25/2008 4:23:00 PM More reviews by soniawonia

The BEST ointment I have ever used. I use it for many things. Blisters, cuts, bruises. It makes bruises go away faster and they dont get as bad as they do when you leave it alone. I love it especially for my nieces. Theyre too little they dont need skanky neosporin. Babies dont need chemicals. I have many of the little tins cause I got a bunch of travel kits and they last and last. I really like how little they are cause I keep it in my purse.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/7/2008 3:57:00 PM More reviews by dominiquealis

This is great for putting on bug bites. It provides temporary relief and the container is so small you can just toss it in your bag.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/7/2008 5:58:00 AM More reviews by dottidolli

"Bumps, bruises, burns, stings and scrapes need Doctor Burt's green goodness." Yes, it has worked wonders for me. I carry it in my purse or makeup bag all the time, and whenever I notice a bruise from a few days ago, a mosquito bite from last night, whatever harmful thing was acted on my skin, I take the little tin out and put it on. I usually do it once or twice a day until it completely heals. I love the natural smell of it, it also keeps me awake in class if I fall asleep lol. Also, I spotted at least 4 of my classmates out of 20 that had this product! (considering that is a great amount since most of my classmates are... nerds lol that hardly use any wonderful products there are on Earth!) I don't know why some absolutely hate the packaging of it, I think it's unique in its own special way, and the green stuff never seems to run out! I would definitley buy again if it runs out, it's always a res-q-ing product I always have to carry around :)

rated 5 of 5 on 1/19/2008 7:33:00 PM More reviews by Shine_bright

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This cream is great especially for minor scrapes, I usually use neosporin and put a bandaid over a cut but with this I can dap it on and forget about it. you don't get the overhydrated skin around the edges you can get with other injury creams. Great for someone who wants to use natural products, but wants them to work as well as conventional ones

rated 5 of 5 on 1/10/2008 3:33:00 PM More reviews by MissJones519

Soothes burns and stops itching. This is especially good with bruises; which is great as I'm always bruising my arms and knees!
Would definetly buy this product again!

rated 5 of 5 on 12/1/2007 11:06:00 PM More reviews by amylmiller

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This stuff is amazing! Whenever my husband and I burn ourselves pulling something out of the oven, (or sometimes me with the curling iron) we immediately turn to this stuff. It soothes burns instantly and prevents them from blistering. It works wonders! I am amazed at how well it heals burns!