October 25, 2014 | 1839 users online

Cleansers - Dermalogica - Ultra Calming Cleanser

rated 5 of 5 on 10/31/2010 6:10:00 PM More reviews by DixieBrooks

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

This is my go to when my skin is aggrivated. I had a horrible reaction to some medication which left my face a broken out, red, itchy mess. Within days of using this cleanser my skin was calmer, less red and the the break outs which had become open 'wounds' were healing.

Today I had a reaction to the Calrisonic cleanser, which I used for the first time this morning, and it left my skin bumpy and itching. I used the Ultra Calming cleanser and within 10 minutes my skin has improved.

This cleanser will not change your skin dramatically, but it will calm it. If you are looking for something that is gentle and will just clean your skin this is what you need. It is expensive but a little goes a long way so it will last you a long time. It also removes all eye make up.

rated 2 of 5 on 10/15/2010 4:58:00 PM More reviews by Betto

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Other, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I didn't hate this cleanser, but after using it for a week now I'm quite disappointed. I am wondering if they have changed the formula... Anyone?
I first got a sample of it a one or two years ago when my skin was dry and flaking a little. I went to a dermstore and had an employee look at my skin. She recommended me Dermalogica's IMB and also the Ultra Calming cleanser. I only got the samples though. The smell of the cleanser seemed very faint and fresh, and the consistency of the product was a bit similar to a creamy gel. I massaged it gently onto my skin and then rinsed off with lukewarm water. It felt very nice on my skin, leaving no residue and calming it a tad, but due to the price I didn't purchase it.
That was one (or two??) years ago. Now I actually bought it. My memory could be wrong but I remember that the smell was a little fresher and did not have that soapy, dirt cheap shampoo-smell (though faint). Anyone else? No big problem though.
When I washed it off my face, my skin looked really clean, but not dryish (nor moisturized!), so no squeaky-clean feel. However it felt like it dried my skin out more than with the samples. I have used it for a week now and find it's a tad too drying for my taste, even though I use the smallest amount and lukewarm water. A con is that it didn't cause any irritation to my skin at all and it looks fresh and feel a little soft.
But I would not say it's ultracalming! My skin is a little sensitive, not very, but I know that many people with sensitive skin have dry skin. This cleanser claims to be suited for "even the most hypersensitive skins", which does not support my drying-effect-theory. Anyway. It does not remove make-up well etiher. If you get oily this will aid in removing it, but it will not remove for instance dry eyeshadow. I seriously doubt the claim that it will remove waterproof mascara!!
I'm not crazy about the packaging etiher. The bottle is large and there's a top-button-press mechanism, if that makes sense =P I would much prefer a pump.
The bottle is huge and you only need a small amount, so if this cleanser is for you, you'll have it a loooong time! Unfortunately for me though, I didn't like it much, but would feel guilty in stop using it having paid sooo muchh $$$$ for it :( I'll have this foreveeer, nooo!

rated 2 of 5 on 10/1/2010 3:55:00 AM More reviews by PamdaBear

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

My skin is sensitive and prone to redness on the cheeks and around the nose or general blotchiness. Some products cause me to break out on my chin. This cleanser is disappointing. Although you can use this without rinsing with water, I wouldn't recommend it. It has the consistency of a lotion, so is thick and therefore difficult to wipe off with a cotton pad. Although my skin looked pretty calm after first using it, it always felt like residue or a film had been left behind and the skin around my nose and chin started to look congested. I also had to use at least both sides of 2 cotton pads, whereas with cleansing waters I only need to use 1. I'm going back to cleansing water which makes my skin feel cleaner, look cleaner, and is easier to use and less wasteful.

rated 1 of 5 on 9/27/2010 9:46:00 PM More reviews by pigix3

i hate the product, i have sensitive skin but it didnt irritate my skin but it gave me so many pimples and left me with so many scars that i never had,, its the worst and expensive

rated 2 of 5 on 9/24/2010 6:14:00 AM More reviews by Kuroda

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

All of Dermalogica's calming cleansers or sensitive skin cleansers have been too harsh for my skin. This one ended up burning my face and left red splotches on my skin. Even after washing off I still itched. Luckily I received them as a sample from my aesthetician. Strangely their Dermal Clay Cleanser is really good for my skin and it does not over-dry my skin. I would not buy this or any calming cleansers from Dermalogica. I think I was allergic to the sulfate in it.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/8/2010 12:05:00 PM More reviews by omgbird

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I bought the sensitized travel pack so I could try all of the products without spending an arm & a leg... I have to say I'll be purchasing the full sizes once these run out. The cleanser is super creamy which leaves my skin feeling really supple & manages to completely cancel out the redness on my cheeks & nose [which was my primary concern]. I don't have ance-prone skin besides the occasional breakout, and I can see how the formula may not be strong enough to control that problem. But as far as calming and evening out my skin tone goes... this is a keeper.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/3/2010 3:37:00 AM More reviews by Mathilda91

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Red, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Blue

This is a great cleanser. Does not strip my dry and sometimes sensitized skin. It is good at removing makeup, though heavy eye make-up need a little extra. It's a nice gel-like consistensy. I wash my face with the precleanse first, then a massage this into my skin, and let it sit a couple of minutes before I rinse it off. If I don't remember wrong, the essential cleansing solution is better at removing heavier makeup, but this is perhaps a little milder. I will use this in the winter.

However, next time I'll buy Essential Cleansing Solution
EDIT: I bought this again instead

rated 5 of 5 on 8/12/2010 2:17:00 AM More reviews by hwag

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I LOVE this. I even made an account to review this product. Dermalogica is amazing. I have really really reactive sensitive skin after probably using bad quality brands with harsh chemicals.
After the first use of any product I can usually tell what'll work and what won't because my face gets really warm and red so before using this I was very skeptical that it wouldn't flare-up but I tried it, and my skin didn't react. I used the Barrier Repair gel after and again, no flare-ups. I've been using this for only about 4 weeks now, and for the first time in around a year I have basically no flare-ups and the permanent redness has faded dramatically while giving the rest of my skin a really healthy fresh look.
It isn't the cheapest but I gave it a 2 because after using Clinique (which burned my skin and made it so much worse at about double the price for half the ingredients), Ella Bache, Estee Lauder etc. I'd be willing to pay almost anything because of what Dermalogica has done for my skin.

rated 3 of 5 on 7/5/2010 10:40:00 PM More reviews by goodhabits

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

With this product, I felt that it left a sort of layer on my face, when I really wanted to feel clean. Also, I don't get acne, but I do break out when I use the wrong products, and although this product did not cause the breakout, it did not help to get rid of it either.

I would say that this is probably a good product for someone with already clear, and sensitive skin, but not for me.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/28/2010 2:11:00 PM More reviews by frostythesnowman81

Age: Unknown Skin: Normal, Olive, Neutral Hair: Black, Curly, Medium Eyes: Black

Pros:
It's absolutely lovely
Cons:
Expensive

Bottom line:
My Grandma* swears by Dermalogica. Every single product in her routine is from Dermalogica. She has the softest skin ever and looks 5 years younger than she is. When I complained about my first pimple she got me this and the Skin Prep Scrub. They were both amazing. I have sensitive skin and this cleanser worked with it not against it. I would repurchase but it is too expensive.

Beauty secret: Listen to your Grandma's skin care advice. She has so much more experience.

Recommended: Yes