Dermalogica Ultra Calming Cleanser

3.9

Not tested on animals

NEW INGREDIENTS: Water (Aqua), Cetearyl Alcohol, Bisabolol, Zingiber Officinale (Ginger) Root Extract, Leuconostoc/Radish Root Ferment Filtrate, Glycerin, Avena Sativa (Oat) Kernel Extract, Cucumis Sativus (Cucumber) Fruit Extract, Butylene Glycol, Pentylene Glycol, Hydroxyphenyl Propamidobenzoic Acid, Citrus Medica Limonum (Lemon) Fruit Extract, Fumaria Officinalis Flower/Leaf/Stem Extract, Fumaric Acid, Rubus Idaeus (Raspberry) Fruit Extract, Lavandula Angustifolia (Lavender) Flower Extract, Echinacea Purpurea Extract, Acrylates/C10-30 Alkyl Acrylate Crosspolymer, Cocamidopropyl PG-Dimonium Chloride Phosphate, Disodium Lauryl Sulfosuccinate, Cetyl Trimethyl Ammonium Chloride, Salix Alba Bark Extract, Usnea Barbata (Lichen) Extract, Glyceryl Caprylate, Tetrasodium EDTA, Panthenol, Aminomethyl Propanol (05/2011). OLD INGREDIENTS: Lavandula Angustifolia(Lavendar) Extract, Cetearyl Alcohol, Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein, Citrus Medica Limonium (Lemon) Extract, Fumaria Officinalis Extract, Fumaric Acid, Cucumis Sativis (Cucumber) Fruit Extract, Cocamidopropyl PG-Dimonium CHloride Phosphate, Sodium Cetearyl Sulfate, Cetrimonium Bromide, Acrylkates/C10-30 Alkyl Acrylate Crosspolymer, Butylene Glycol, AMinomethyl Propanol, Methylparaben, Propylparaben 5/20/09

on 2/18/2011 5:28:00 AM

I bought this cleanser after having a Dermalogica deep cleansing facial. I have never looked back! What an amazing product, I have extremely difficult skin, fair, oily t-zone, dry cheeks, acne prone and sensitive! I've used so many products over the years but this one is truly making a difference. Unlike Cetaphil it washes off clean (I found cetaphil left a film of sorts) and doesn't clog my pores. It is quite pricey though and the design of the new bottle is a little irritating (it can be hard to squeeze the product out) but on a whole if you want gentle, effective cleansing then this is for you!

on 2/10/2011 12:11:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Medium, Cool

I like using this cleanser when my skin is red and sensitive. The texture is lovely and silky to use, but once my skin is recovered from the redness and sensitivity, I find that the cleanser isn't enough for my oily skin.
I can be sensitive to water in different places, so when my skin is going through a bad phase and I have to travel for work. I take this cleanser with me...apply, massage, tissue off the cleanser and rinse with bottled water.

on 2/4/2011 11:01:00 AM

Iím really enjoying many of the Dermalogica products these days. After having a face mapping done apparently I really should steer more towards products for sensitive skin, something I never took in to consideration. This cleanser reminds me of the much over-hyped Cetaphil in texture and use, but has so much more going for it. Check out the ingredients and see why itís so soothing and calming. Just the smell calms me down. Not being use to a non-foaming cleanser, it was a bit of an adjustment, but now Iím sold, especially using it in conjunction with the Precleanse product Ė another fantastic buy!
Products are pricey, but when it comes to skincare itís important to do it right.

on 11/23/2010 1:40:00 AM

My HG cleanser! I didn't use it before the formula changed, so I have no gripes with that. It works perfectly on my sensitive combination skin. I still suffer from occasional breakouts but they are purely hormonal. I honestly believe that this cleanser helps clear them up more quickly because it removes all excess oil and only leaves the good stuff! My skin is always so soft after using it.

on 11/11/2010 7:27:00 AM

This used to be my HG cleanser for my HYPER-SENSITIVE, combination dry acne-prone skin. Its just a super gentle gel/cream based cleanser that doesn't strip my natural oils but keeps my skin from breaking out and just...manageable, which is more than I could ask for with my super sensitive skin. It hydrates my dry patches and keeps my oily bits normal. Of course, it is horrible at removing make up...but I just use this as a normal cleanser. This is why I gave it 5 stars.

The packaging is fantastic if you buy it as 500ml bottle which comes with a pump. The 250ml packaging, however, is atrocious, and it comes with a flap top that you have to press the top and squeeze the bottle (this becomes an issue when you have hardly any product left) for the product to come out.

HOWEVER, I AM VERY DISAPPOINTED THAT THEY HAVE NOW CHANGED THE FORMULA AS OF 2010 worldwide (except for Australia).

The new formula has some sort of ultracalming 'complex'...I'm not sure what the ingredients are as they are patented...but this new 'complex' of ingredients breaks me out...and makes my dry patches BURN AND BECOME RED, INFLAMMED AND HORRIBLY ITCHY! This leads to horrible break outs and even drier skin. Not just that, it stings my eyes when its not even remotely close to my eye area, which is not something the old formula did.

I'm devastated as this has been my HG for over 5 years.

For those in Australia, they have yet to replace this product on the shelves with the NEW formula. So STOCK UP LADIES! They're planning to replace the old formula with the new formula within the next few months. All other countries are only stocking the new formula only now.

I don't know what other cleanser could ever replace it...now I'm on the search for my new HG cleanser. =[

on 11/7/2010 5:07:00 AM

It doesn't clean at all ! You just "try" to wash your face with silicone. I got pimles after just 3 use as well as my sister. Won't buy again

on 11/6/2010 12:06:00 PM

I love Deramalogica and have been used the Special Cleaning Gel (face wash) for 15 years. For the first time I thought, let me try something else. I purchased the starter kit and after 2 or 3 uses, I will stop. My skin never had problems with dry, red, skin... but now I have tight, painful and red cheeks. I thought maybe it was poor diet and stress, but that is pretty much my life and my skin has always been complimented on almost each day. The one product in the line, that I bought before the start kit, is the BARRIER REPAIR. It is amazing and I will continue to use. Now I am not sure how to proceed now that I have this condition. Perhaps Aveeno? I use Cetaphil and CeraVue moisturizes and they work great. After years and years of the expensive stuff, I find that Cetaphil and CeraVue work just as well or better. Spend the money on serums.

on 10/31/2010 6:10:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

This is my go to when my skin is aggrivated. I had a horrible reaction to some medication which left my face a broken out, red, itchy mess. Within days of using this cleanser my skin was calmer, less red and the the break outs which had become open 'wounds' were healing.

Today I had a reaction to the Calrisonic cleanser, which I used for the first time this morning, and it left my skin bumpy and itching. I used the Ultra Calming cleanser and within 10 minutes my skin has improved.

This cleanser will not change your skin dramatically, but it will calm it. If you are looking for something that is gentle and will just clean your skin this is what you need. It is expensive but a little goes a long way so it will last you a long time. It also removes all eye make up.

on 10/15/2010 4:58:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Other, Medium

I didn't hate this cleanser, but after using it for a week now I'm quite disappointed. I am wondering if they have changed the formula... Anyone?
I first got a sample of it a one or two years ago when my skin was dry and flaking a little. I went to a dermstore and had an employee look at my skin. She recommended me Dermalogica's IMB and also the Ultra Calming cleanser. I only got the samples though. The smell of the cleanser seemed very faint and fresh, and the consistency of the product was a bit similar to a creamy gel. I massaged it gently onto my skin and then rinsed off with lukewarm water. It felt very nice on my skin, leaving no residue and calming it a tad, but due to the price I didn't purchase it.
That was one (or two??) years ago. Now I actually bought it. My memory could be wrong but I remember that the smell was a little fresher and did not have that soapy, dirt cheap shampoo-smell (though faint). Anyone else? No big problem though.
When I washed it off my face, my skin looked really clean, but not dryish (nor moisturized!), so no squeaky-clean feel. However it felt like it dried my skin out more than with the samples. I have used it for a week now and find it's a tad too drying for my taste, even though I use the smallest amount and lukewarm water. A con is that it didn't cause any irritation to my skin at all and it looks fresh and feel a little soft.
But I would not say it's ultracalming! My skin is a little sensitive, not very, but I know that many people with sensitive skin have dry skin. This cleanser claims to be suited for "even the most hypersensitive skins", which does not support my drying-effect-theory. Anyway. It does not remove make-up well etiher. If you get oily this will aid in removing it, but it will not remove for instance dry eyeshadow. I seriously doubt the claim that it will remove waterproof mascara!!
I'm not crazy about the packaging etiher. The bottle is large and there's a top-button-press mechanism, if that makes sense =P I would much prefer a pump.
The bottle is huge and you only need a small amount, so if this cleanser is for you, you'll have it a loooong time! Unfortunately for me though, I didn't like it much, but would feel guilty in stop using it having paid sooo muchh $$$$ for it :( I'll have this foreveeer, nooo!

on 10/1/2010 3:55:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

My skin is sensitive and prone to redness on the cheeks and around the nose or general blotchiness. Some products cause me to break out on my chin. This cleanser is disappointing. Although you can use this without rinsing with water, I wouldn't recommend it. It has the consistency of a lotion, so is thick and therefore difficult to wipe off with a cotton pad. Although my skin looked pretty calm after first using it, it always felt like residue or a film had been left behind and the skin around my nose and chin started to look congested. I also had to use at least both sides of 2 cotton pads, whereas with cleansing waters I only need to use 1. I'm going back to cleansing water which makes my skin feel cleaner, look cleaner, and is easier to use and less wasteful.