Fancl Mild Cleansing Oil

4.3

2014 REFORMULATION: Cetearyl octanoate, Dextrin palmitate, PEG-10, Rosa Canina Fruit Oil, Rice Germ Oil, Squalane, Buxus Chinensis Oil, vitamin E, Ascorbyl Palmitate. OLD FORMULA: Cetyl Ethylhexanoate, Butylene Glycol Diisononanoate, Polyglyceryl-10 Diisostearate, Diphenylsiloxy Phenyl Trimethicone, Polygltceryl-20 Octaisononanoate, Polyglyceryl-20 Hexacaprylate, Limnanthes Alba (meadowfoam) Seed Oil, Glyceryl Behenate/Eicosadioate, Camellia Sinensis Leaf Powder, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Rosa Canina Fruit Oil, Ascorbyl Dipalmitate, Phytosteryl/Isostearyl/Cetyl/Stearyl/Behenyl Dimer Dilinoleate, Tocopheryl, Stearoyl Inulin

on 4/15/2011 11:41:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm

I like that this cleanser is preservative-free. It's also the first cleansing oil I've tried. I was paranoid about using cleansing oils before this as my skin's the oily type, but this doesn't break me out at all. It's really mild and yet heavy-duty at removing makeup, including mascara (I use quite a few brands including deja vu, dior and loreal). I only took 1 lippie off as it doesn't control the oilies that I have.. and I've found a cleanser that does-- Ettusais Medicated Acne Gentle Make Off. If you have non-acne skin, this one is perfect.

on 4/8/2011 12:23:00 AM

I have been using this product for a year. In all,

Pros:
- Price is reasonable
- Love the packaging [frequent Limited Edition bottle designs]
- Need not worry about dispensing too much of the product as 2 pumps as indicated are sufficient for me to fully remove my makeup [However, I use a separate makeup remover for my eye and lashes]
- No breakouts experienced since the first time I use it
- Easy to use [massage product directly onto face with hands for 10 secs and wash it off with warm water]
- Thoroughly removes all makeup in 1 wash [Liquid Foundation, lipstick, lipgloss etc]

on 3/27/2011 12:46:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Tan, Not Sure

when i was in japan, i didnt have mu remover with me so i bought a mini bottle of this at a nearby convenience store and found my HG! it has never broken me out (and i am super acne prone), removes all of my mu, isnt scented, and rinses clean without drying out my skin. the consistency is perfect- not too thin or thick, and its super gentle even on my bad skin days. everything abt this product is just perfect, even the packaging of the mini bottle is awesome,it has never leaked and the full size comes with a pump. LOVE!!!!!!!!!!

on 3/13/2011 3:47:00 AM

HG makeup remover/cleanser in one step! love love loveeee this product so much. it's mild but removes everything. i used a toner afterward and there's barely any impurities left behind. will recommend this to everyone. the price is reasonable as well.

also, my face seems a little brightened and fresh after cleansing my face with this cleanser. honestly, i think u can never go wrong with japanese products :)

on 3/9/2011 7:23:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

Great cleansing oil that easily removes pore clogs, dry skin and asian sunscreens (be sure to massage for at least a minute).

TEXTURE: lighter, thinner and slightly runnier than Kose Softymo Deep and Whitening CO's, Shiseido Ultimate Cleansing Oil, DHC, and Shu Uemura Cleansing Oil Premium A/O

EFFICACY: removes all makeup and sunscreen; found that if I didn't take the time to massage for a full minute, I'd still have sunscreen residue (can smell residue reacting with my toner and skin would feel tight if I didn't remove all the sunscreen); does not dry out the skin like DHC or Shu cleansing oils

NOTE: this contains no preservatives and I've read that some people had issues with the product going rancid before they finished using the product... one way to counter this would be to purchase the smaller 60 ml bottles/pumps

CONCLUSION: out of the cleansing oils I've used, I prefer this or the Kose Softymo ones; both are effective, but Kose is cheaper while Fancl's deep cleans a bit better if you take the time to massage thoroughly...

I was debating between this, MAC and DHC as my first cleansing oil, so I ordered the travel size online in case I didn't like it, and because of the expiration dates. Anyway, I really like this! I wear Japanese mascara that takes forever to come off and it comes off very easily with this. My skin doesn't feel stripped after I've rinsed but I don't feel any residue either...I do double up with a foam cleanser, though. Ever since I started this routine my skin has become much less oily and the blackheads on and around my nose have dissipated a lot, which was a side effect I wasn't expecting at all. Overall I was pleasantly surprised and will probably grab the full size.

on 2/26/2011 7:20:00 PM

This review is a comparison between fancl and Shu Uemula. Since I moved to Hong Kong from the UK almost a year ago, I changed my entired skin care routine due to necessity as well curiosity. This includes starting to use Shu's cleansing oil. I had no end of blocked pores since then. (I hardly ever get a spot while I was in the UK) I blamed everything from cream to serum and to the environment. But stupidly, I didn't suspect Shu because I thought if it's so well regarded it can't be bad. Even though I know mineral oil is famous for blocking pores and I don't normally go anywhere near products containing mineral oil. But I made an exception for Shu, making myself believe that it won't be absorbed. But I was wrong! I finally started to suspect Shu and started to use Fancl about two weeks ago. And since that day I haven't had a sinle blocked pore!

on 1/28/2011 1:37:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

I've been using Fancl Mild Cleansing Oil for a while now. I love the pretty limited edition packaging they come up with for the bottles every now and then.

I've only used 2 cleansing oils before, this and the DHC Deep Cleansing Oil. I far prefer the Fancl. It removes any stubborn waterproof mascara (Majolica Majorca Lash Expander Frame Plus) effortlessly so I don't need a separate eye makeup remover! Huge plus right there. Removes sunscreen & makeup well, no unpleasant scent, texture is just right, and the pump works well to dispense the right amount. I usually use 2 full pumps for my entire face.

Emulsifies and rinses off easily, though I do follow up with a separate cleanser just in case. The shelf life is 120 days once opened. I usually finish a bottle in ~2 months with daily usage.

Great product and my ultimate favourite cleansing oil/makeup remover! Will repurchase.

on 1/4/2011 1:01:00 PM

Hair: Other, Other, Medium

I believe I've found my HG cleansing product in Fancl's Mild Cleansing Oil. I've used Shu for about 5 years with reasonable success.

Compared to Shu, Fancl:
1) removes make up more effectively - I'm talking super-waterproof mascara (eg. Majorlica). This leaves zilch residue and doesn't require any forceful motion to get my make up off. With Shu, I always found a little residue of eye makeup even after multiple cleansing.
2) is easier to wash off as its less oily
3) is much more affordable

I've used numerous other cleansers - from oils (Biotherm, Shu), to creams, to gels (Kiehl's). None of which can match this product! This doesn't dry my skin out or clog my pores. Also, this is extremely gentle and I don't experience any stinging in my eyes like I do with the other cleansers.

on 11/22/2010 12:25:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

[Update 2/20/2011: Yep, still using this and still remains as my total HG cleanser. I've tried 6 other cleansing oils and Fancl wins them all in my opinion! The other 6 were: DHC Deep Cleansing Oil, Sana Nameraka Cleansing Oil, Clarins Pure Melt Cleansing Gel, Shiseido d Program Cleansing Oil, Origins Clean Energy Cleansing Oil, and MAC Cleanse Off Oil.]

I usually order this from the US Fancl website, which ships from California. This cleanser has no preservatives so the shelf-life is shorter than conventional cleansers, so keep in mind when shopping from other places like Imomoko or eBay. This is the reason I prefer purchasing directly from Fancl.

The website has a point system in which you acquire points for the amount of money you spend. You can use these points for discounts on future purchases. I haven't tried redeeming my points yet but I think they're valid for one year. It's a neat program, and they have good customer service in my experience.

This cleansing oil has a thinner consistency than that of DHC Deep Cleansing Oil, which I've used for 2.5 yrs straight cos I had no other options for a makeup remover. Then I began looking for other options. I've yet to try Shu Uemura cleansing oils, another popular brand of cleansing oils, but this, here, cleansing oil makes my skin so happy. It's not drying compared to DHC, nor does it leave a weird residue like Clarins Pure Melt Cleansing Gel. It's thicker than Sana Nameraka Honpo, which makes it easier to work with. It effectively removes -all- waterproof makeup and sunscreen, and leaves you with clean, soft skin. It also feels calming on the skin since it contains anti-inflammatory ingredients. There's no need for me to say more, it's been reviewed a thousand times all over forums, the internet, and Japanese magazines. I just love it. It has become HG for me.

As for the expiration date: Since this product doesn't contain preservatives, you have to finish it up in 4 months or the solution'll become cloudy and smell sour and won't cleanse as well (as I heard). It's easy to finish a bottle within the fresh period if you use it everyday. It could be a hassle to stockup, however, especially if you're not anywhere near someplace that carries Fancl. I don't consider this a problem for myself, cos if a product works wonderfully and the cost is reasonable, it's definitely worth the trouble.

I'm reviewing the 2009 formula. Sorry, I tossed the box and paperslips that came with it. I got this from Phoebe's Ingredients List, so I can't be sure of its accuracy.

Ingredients: Cetyl Ethylhexanoate, Butylene Glycol Diisononanoate, Polyglyceryl-10 Diisostearate, Diphenylsiloxy Phenyl Trimethicone, Polygltceryl-20 Octaisononanoate, Polyglyceryl-20 Hexacaprylate, Limnanthes Alba (Meadowfoam) Seed Oil, Glyceryl Behenate/Eicosadioate, Camellia Sinensis Leaf Powder, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Rosa Canina Fruit Oil, Ascorbyl Dipalmitate, Phytosteryl/Isostearyl/Cetyl/Stearyl/Behenyl Dimer Dilinoleate, Tocopheryl, Stearoyl Inulin