April 18, 2014 | 1209 users online

Treatments - Joico - k-pak deep penetrating reconstructor

rated 5 of 5 on 1/31/2012 12:30:00 PM More reviews by Lins112

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

As a licensed and practicing cosmetologist I have used many (many!) "reconstructors" but I keep coming back to this one. The smell is more than a little off-putting, but if you can hold your breath while you apply it's a small price to pay. The difference it makes is noticeable even in the shower and with continued use it can remedy the over-processed "mushy" feeling that comes with too many chemical treatments.

A word of advice: it is essential to use the accompanying K-Pak Moisture Intense Hydrator Treatment to avoid the "dry" feeling some commenters have experienced. When using a reconstructor you are adding protein back into hair that has been chemically treated (and in turned stripped of the natural proteins) which can in turn make hair feel "dry." Using the the Intense Hydrator immediately after rinsing the Reconstructor will replenish the moisture and give that soft & silky feeling we all associate with "healthy hair."

Hope that helps a little - Joico's KPak line is a God-send for my long, chemically-processed hair!

rated 3 of 5 on 1/20/2012 2:40:00 AM More reviews by girlgaga15

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Very Dry, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I actually like this product. It does make my hair dry if I use to much do really use a little and rinse with cool water I like to follow it up with a deep mask :)

rated 1 of 5 on 1/14/2012 3:31:00 PM More reviews by sullengurl

With extremely over processed, past my shoulder hair, I was hoping the hefty price tag and reputation Joico has would mean an effective product. Boy, was i wrong! The formula of this is extremely strange and not thick and coating. It's like somebody took a watered down conditioner, poured egg whites with it and didn't blend it properly. I've used this product for a year (one bottle does last a long time if you are concentrating on damaged ends) and my hair only looked strawlike and felt dried out, my split ends got bigger (i didn't have more but the ones i did got worse). It doesn't even detangle. I still use it because it's costly and i want to finish the bottle and can only make it work for my hair if i load up on leave in conditioner afterwards! Not impressed and would NOT recommend to any body! Useless!

rated 4 of 5 on 1/9/2012 12:22:00 AM More reviews by lorifunorie

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

this is by far the best protein reconstructor i've tried yet. i've been on a mission of sorts, trying a bunch of different ones..and this one has been the best!
my hair feels fantastic, and i can already see a major difference in the health...
BUT..holy mother of...curl?
my hair is starting to have a really pretty curl/wave to it. i used to have this kind of wave when i was a child, but as i grew up it kinda just straightened itself out...is this product restoring my hair to the health it had like 15 years ago? I don't think so, maybe this was a one time deal..but hey, not complaining!

I took away a lippie because of the smell and texture of the product..it smelled like bannanas (i love to eat them, but hate that kind of fragrance) and it felt and looked like runny oatmeal. It also took the WHOLE package to coat my fine-thick (means i have fine hair, but TONS of it) and medium length hair (but i did have the smaller 5oz bottle).

For the price, since it is REALLY expensive, i probably won't repurchase this one. however, i hear Sally's Beauty Supply has a GVP (generic value product) that is just as good if not better, and it for sure will be easier on my wallet!!

rated 5 of 5 on 1/6/2012 7:50:00 PM More reviews by Vinadet

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

My natural hair is thick, black, 3b curly. I recently went through a phase and recklessly decided I finally wanted to try bleaching my hair. I soon regretted my decision after TRIPLE processing my hair in the same week. I had bleached it twice, then dyed it chestnut brown to cover up how awful the "blonde" looked on me.

This *completely* ruined my hair. I had the all the signs of extremely damaged hair: When my hair was wet, it felt mushy and weak. When it was dry, it felt rough and straw-like. Originally, my hair would form natural curls right out of the shower, and I would simply put in gel and diffuse-dry. At this point, it was so fried that all it did was stay straight, even if I scrunched it with lots of gel.

Finally, after doing some research, I went out and bought Aphogee's 2-Step Protein Treatment. I did 2 treatments. The first time, however, I forgot to shake up the bottle (duh), so I tried again two days after to see if I would get better results. I did see some change. However, my hair didn't respond to it as well as I'd hoped, and it still had a bit of a mushy feel to it in the shower. Diffuse-drying with gel was awkward because the curls wouldn't hold well and I would end up with weird-looking sections that were looser than the others.

Today I decided to look for another treatment that I could try in the meantime, as the 2-Step treatment is supposed to be done only every 4-6 weeks. (I'd say I did the 2-Step about 1 1/2 weeks ago.) I saw the Generic version of Joico's K-Pak Deep Penetrating Reconstructor (for $5.49), and I remembered reading about it on some message boards. I was glad to read the ingredients and see that there was no silicones; however there is mineral oil.

Before using this product, I washed my hair with Suave's clarifying shampoo twice. I towel-blotted my hair and then applied the K-Pak generously, combing through and then leaving it in for 10 minutes. After that, I rinsed it out and followed it up with a good conditioner. As others will tell you, this product is NOT meant to be a "conditioner" so much as it is a "reconstructor." If you don't follow-up some sort of a conditioner, your hair will likely end up being drier than you expect.

Immediately after, I didn't feel any *huge* improvement, but it felt as if my hair was retaining less water (was less mushy). My hair still didn't form its natural curl pattern on its own and was mostly straight. However, I applied gel to it and diffuse-dried as I normally would have.

I almost couldn't believe it. When my hair was completely dried, the look and texture of my hair was almost exactly what it had been before I bleached my hair at all. My hair was curly-looking again!

This is only my first use, and I'll update the results as I continue to use the product. But I hope this will be a heads up any other curlies out there who are thinking of bleaching--Even though I'm now able to achieve the curly hair I had before, I have to put in extra work (and money) to keep it this way. If you love your curls, don't take them for granted! If you decide to bleach, *please* don't be impatient. Make sure it's really what you want, and take the steps necessary to prevent as much damage as possible. But if you've already crossed that bridge, don't lose hope. There are plenty of good protein treatments (such as this one) that can significantly help as you recover from your mistakes.

rated 2 of 5 on 12/15/2011 3:44:00 AM More reviews by deanna424

It smells great- just like bananas but really didn't do anything for my hair. It made it overly dry and didn't help at at all with breakage. My hair also got greasy really fast.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 12/6/2011 12:56:00 AM More reviews by italiana800

This product seems like it would be good for your hair, but it dries my hair out. For the fact that it dries my hair, I will not repurchase. I think it's because of all the protein in this product. There's something about the smell of this product that makes me want to gag. It smells like rotten bananas. Not worth the price either. It's expensive.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/16/2011 11:33:00 PM More reviews by xsnowwhite

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Hazel

This product completely saved my hair! Let me give a brief history of my hair, had higlights, got bored and colored it black, decided i was over that, bleached it, highlighted it shortly after to get it even lighter. My hair is a good 5 inches past my shoulders, and I flat iron it. After all those terrible decisions my hair felt like straw on the last 3 or so inches of length,so I needed intense repair (and a haircut). I used the k-pak shampoo, conditioner, and this deep treatment 2x a week and within a month my hair felt completely back to normal. I highly reccomend this to anyone with damaged hair! I will always go back to this when my hair gets damaged!

rated 5 of 5 on 11/11/2011 10:56:00 PM More reviews by Helenstar

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Black

I think i'll be using this product for the rest of my life....sparingly, of course :)

My hair used to always be in pretty damn good condition, until a mass amount of perms/straightening perms/bleaching/colouring all within a period of 10 months ruined my hair - dry, split ends everywhere, a crunchy sound would startle my dog when i'd try to tie it into a pony tail, and sadly small tips of my hair would drop onto my shirt when trying to tie my hair up. Bleh, horrible hair.

The first time i tried this product (my first reconstructor btw) i didn't notice it did a biiigg difference the first day (i used the Pantene mask for long hair after the reconstructor), but the day after the difference was night and day (i used Dove intensive conditioner).
My hair feels so much thicker and stronger and smoother now.

I think using this once a week would be perfect for me. Highly recommended for deeply damaged hair!

rated 5 of 5 on 11/7/2011 2:10:00 PM More reviews by beelzebelle

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

Honestly saved my hair. I had dyed my hair way too many times with no discretion and unrelentingly straightened it for several years. i always knew it was on the cusp of being very damaged but wasn't doing much to help it. when my hair accidentally dyed black and i dida lot of harsh, horrible things to it to get it to fade including a LOT of washing with dish soap, bleaching, redying without any rest period it had gotten to the point where i had completely lost my hairs natural curly texture and had a lot of breakage. I had tried Aphogees 2 step protein treatment with no good results before turning to this.

This really nourishes all the breaking and split ends and i actually have my curls back. Unlike a lot of people, i enjoy the tropical banana scent. My mom says it smells like some sort of gross medicine to her. I always use Matrix Biolage Conditioning Balm after this too because even though it makes your hair stronger, protein will always dry it out a little bit.

Also, GVP (from sallys) makes a cheaper 'compare to' version of this if the price is a problem for you. I haven't tried it myself but i plan to.