Merle Norman Ultra Powder Foundation

4.4

Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

I got this foundation after a free facial. It does cover like a foundation but is really a powder. I have Ultra Sand and I am pretty tan. The only thing I don't like is how big it is. The compact does have an air vent for the sponge so it doesn't get nasty. I use it like a foundation and don't use anything under it. Does anyone know if you can wet the sponge and use it for more coverage?

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

I love this foundation. Wonderful in setting my makeup.
After giving this product another look after years of experimenting with other foundations, I have to say this is my favorite. Light on the skin but with great coverage.

Before a week ago I bought the sephora buildable coverage kit and the foundation made me break out sooo bad. Then I went to the mall and found this product again and it covered all the acne/ scars that I had recently gotten. I don't think I'll ever change my foundations again. Turns out I had the perfect one all along. :)

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

I was using this product for a really long time! I was so happy with it! I noticed my face wasnt dry or oily during the day.When i did do a touch ups during the day it never looked cakey or looked like i had way too much on.Over all it did its job and i do remember having good skin i never broke out or anything! The price was a bit expensive maybe 25.00 and up but worth it! The case was really cute too! I always thought it looked like a pinup girls compact! Unfortunaly there is no Merle Norman in my area anymore so i can buy this item again! But it was a good item!

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

I've been using this product for over ten years. I LOVE IT! I tend to have oily skin and this keeps the oil at bay all day with no need to touch up. It's also easy to use - just one step and no need to get my hands icky in liquid makeup. I have sensitive skin - but this has never made me break out.

I"m not in love with the packaging.....I think it could be a bit smaller or more compact. Maybe I'm just used to it, but I don't really notice a smell.

For those of you who have used other Merle products without any luck please note that I've also tried their long lasting liquid foundation and something in it made me break out - but this product has never done that.

I love this product!! I am one of the few, that absolutely loves the smell and the packaging! I love how the packaging looks classic-I hate compacts where the sponge sits on top of the powder-that leads to breakouts overtime, and the smell to me is relaxing! The powder goes on so smooth, and you can reapply it several times during the day if needed (when you live in the south, where the humidity is at its max, more than 1x is sometimes needed) this powder never gets cakey! the colors match perfectly! I've been matched perfectly for both winter and summer! this is by far my most favorite powder of any! I use Clinique, Estee Lauder, and Merle Norman's Luxiva ultra powder foundation is my absolute fav!!!

So far I'm enjoying this powder foundation on my sensitive rosacea skin. It applies easily with the enclosed sponge to give light-medium coverage. The finish is fairly matte and I rub my clean damp fingers over it after applying (the same as I do with my mineral foundations) to take away any powdery-ness on my cheek area.

Pros:
- doesn't get too oily in my t-zone, or dry out my cheeks.
- so quick and easy to apply. You can use the sponge damp for more coverage.
- doesn't highlight flakes or settle in fine lines on me.
- doesn't highlight pores and even minimizes them a little bit.
- no powder needed on top, except for touch ups in oily areas.
- no breakouts or reaction from my sensitive so far (several days of use).

Cons:
- yucky perfume-powdery "old lady" scent - faint but annoying to me as I am sensitive to scents and see no need for them in makeup.
- the compact is a bit large for carrying in your purse, plus the "aeration holes" for the sponge could pick up lint unless this is in a makeup bag. Personally I just carry concealer and regular powder for touch-ups anyway.
- Not a great shade range. I can get away with the 2nd shade "Cameo" but it will be a bit dark for my skin in winter, and the "lightest" shade isn't any lighter than Cameo (it actually looked darker to me) but is pinker. I'm Mac NC15 or EM Sandy Fair.

I still prefer the appearance and ingredients of my mineral foundation (which I use over Clinique's pore minimizing primer), but I got this for traveling or days when I just don't have the time or energy for messy-sifter-jar-shaking-kabuki-brush-buffing routine. Putting on this powder foundation takes 5 minutes whereas my primer-plus-MMU takes 15. Not sure I would re-purchase because there are so many products out there and this is a little pricey plus the scent and not-perfect colors. But definitely one of the better powder foundations I've tried.

UPDATE: Cameo really is the perfect color for me and I think I'll be using it in winter too, as it doesn't darken at all after applying. This makeup also has the most beautiful, natural finish. I applied in a rush the other day and fairly heavily as I had no time for concealer. I even applied it under my eyes after letting the eye cream sink in. I thought it looked a bit cakey but when I checked in my mirror an hour later my face looked great and so natural! I still use MMU most days because I'm not trusting all the parabens in this formula, but this is a wonderful product for when you're in a hurry or for traveling.

Oh yeah - and the ingredient list, which I couldn't find anywhere online before purchasing:
INGREDIENTS: Mica, Talc, Dimethicone, Nylon-12, Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), Iron Oxides (CI 77489, CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499), Methicone, Tocopheryl Linoleate, Imidazolidinyl Urea, Ethylparaben, Methylparaben, Proplyparaben, Fragrance (Parfum) 101905.

Skin: Very Oily, Dark, Not Sure

I have to disagree with Oohollyoo! I have tried the same Maybelline powder and it is nowhere NEAR comparable to my Ultra Powder! It did not stay on at all and I didn't think the coverage was all that great either! I get compliments DAILY on my makeup when i have my ultra powder on and I'm also very oily! Another thing I love is the fact that my color matches me to a T and i'm a black woman! I've spent ALOT of money on other brands and have never been this satisfied and I've even converted to alot of other Merle Norman products. As far as the smell, it's not perfume you smell, its zinc oxide which is in many of their products and is a natural sunscreen ( the white stuff people used to put on their nose!) so it does have sun protection, just not a man made SPF. There is a new foundation as well called Aqua Balance that is for people with normal to oily skin that gives medium to full coverage that is great for when you want to look flawless that you can put on under the Ultra Powder! Another thing I love is that you get better customer service than going to a makeup counter and it's not in the middle of some department store for everybody to watch you take off your makeup!

this is not a bad powder foundation. i am an nc 35 w/ combo skin and the golden looked great on me. i just couldn't stand the strong perfume smell and theh ugly bathroom design compact. honestly the maybelline purestay powder foundation is comparable to this w/o the smell and price. they both have the same light-med coverage and matte finish. nude in maybelline is a close match but i am wearing maybelline's golden for the summer.

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

I have found my HG foundation. I have oily, sometimes acne prone skin and this looks just wonderful on my skin. I mostly use it dry and just buff on, but for night and for winter, I moisten a cosmetic wedge and get a heavier coverage.
This foundation is very forgiving, I can't put on too much but if I do, I can just brush some off. It doesn't settle into my larger pores and doesn't accentuate my wrinkles. It doesn't look too powdery either. This gives me a natural makeup look, very soft without looking all tarted up!
My MN studio that I go to has wonderful ladies around my age that work there and they are very helpful, don't push anything on me and give great customer service.
I like the old school style of packaging, it's so retro and looks like something I would have seen on my mom's vanity table! Real kitschy almost!! I am so glad I discovered this foundation, I am very happy with it.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I LOVE this foundation! LOVE! I was matched with the color Ultra Golden which is great for me, although I think I might need a lighter color come winter. My mother who could give a crap about makeup even noticed how nice the color matched me and that it looked so natural. I have oily skin and have always wanted a powder foundation but was never able to find one that kept my oil at bay. I tried BE, MAC StudioFix, some EL one.. just to name a few. I've had this on for 6 hours now, with not one touchup. It feels and looks really nice. I use a primer, use concealer where needed, sponge this on lightly then lightly dust some loose powder over it (I use Maybelline Shine Free Loose in Medium). Then for touchups I blot with some Aveda Toning Mist (spritz on a kleen-ex and blot over face) and then use MAC Blot. I do that routine with any foundation. But this is so quick and easy to apply and it's so much more comfortable then a liquid. I'll never go back or use anything else...I LOVE it! Oh, and after my mom saw it (we were at lunch together) she made me go back to the MN store and she got color matched and bought a foundation! She bought a liquid though since she has dry skin, but she loves it. :) She even bought a lipstick too....not very usual of her.