November 23, 2014 | 2016 users online

Liquid - Bare Escentuals - bareSkin® Pure Brightening Serum Foundation Broad Spectrum SPF 20

rated 5 of 5 on 8/17/2014 10:29:00 AM More reviews by lelmore907

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I have used bare essentials for over 15 years. I love this new liquid foundation- I Love that you can take care of your skin with this product as well!!! It does make your skin much brighter-your skin appears even-absolutely love this foundation

rated 3 of 5 on 8/16/2014 7:55:00 PM More reviews by aderenia

Purchased this at Ulta- great coverage.. Goes on smooth.. Matches my skin tone PERFECTLY buuuut (why does there always have to be a but?) the foundation just sits on top of your skin. I can't work it in to my skin. It sits like a masks. Looks flawless but if I sweat or where sunglasses and then take them off my foundation is COMPLETELY off in that area. Even if I wipe my face... Wherever I wipe, that area is no longer covered. Sucks. I love the coverage so maybe I'll try it again in the winter when it doesn't sweat off.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/14/2014 9:23:00 AM More reviews by bksmits

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I've been using this for about 2 months and love it! I used the original powder foundation for years but as I've gotten older my skin has gotten even drier than normal and the powder wasn't cutting it anymore. When I heard they were coming out with a liquid I ran to the store.

The coverage I've gotten with this is amazing! They say you only need a few drops and they mean it! I start with one drop, dot it on then blend it. If I need a lttle more I'll do a mini-drop and blend again. That's usually about it. Be warned: If you do more than a drop or two you will look like you are wearing a kabuki mask!

The brush: BE made a special funky brush for this foundation. Do not use it! When I got my color match at Sephora the girl used a Sephora brush instead and it came out great! And was $8 dollars cheaper. The girl next to me had hers done with the special BE brush and I don't think it looked as good and used a lot more product.

Packaging: The little "shaker balls" that rattle around in the bottle when you shake it sometimes get lodged in the top of the bottle which blocks the product coming out. A good smack on the counter will loosen them but this happens just about every time I use it. Minor annoyance, recommend making the balls bigger so they can't get stuck.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 8/12/2014 3:58:00 PM More reviews by MollyTheMakeupArtist

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I used to work in a studio that sold this foundation so I had to try it before I used it on anyone or sold it to anyone. I have dry, acne prone skin and need very full coverage. This foundation is advertised to feel like nothing is there and to have a natural look to the skin. I can definitely agree, it feels like a part of your normal skincare routine and looks very natural.
That being said, you have to be very careful when you use it in relation to your skincare routine. If you apply this foundation too soon after your moisturizer, it will slide around. If you wait too long, it will cling to all your dry spots.
I always set my foundation with a powder, no matter what. This foundation did the strangest thing to my skin. It actually separated from the powder and everything else I had on and created tiny little holes in my makeup. It looked like you took a pin and poked my skin a million times all around my face. I tried everything I could think of, in my makeup artist head, to fix this. Primer, no primer, different moisturizer, less product, more product, different powder, different concealer, everything. The list goes on and on. Nothing fixed it.
Now, this foundation has a very weightless, "nothing is there" feeling to it. As for me, with very severe acne, I like to feel like I have makeup on. It makes me feel more secure that my acne is being covered and my face matches the rest of me. This feels like you don't have any makeup on. This is so weird but my skin sort of told my brain that I didn't have any makeup on and that it was okay to touch my face. I couldn't help it! Before I could even stop myself, I'd scratch my nose or chin or something.
So all together, here is my recommendation for this foundation. If you have normal skin, not super dry or oily, you don't need a lot of coverage, and you don't like to have a full face on everyday, this foundation is perfect for you. If you try to mess with it, well, it gets messy.

6 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 8/11/2014 11:30:00 AM More reviews by sjlc

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Green

When I first got this foundation-I thought it was amazing. It feels like you're not wearing anything at all and has great coverage considering the texture. Since I have oily skin it does get shiny and slides around a bit, but that is only towards the end of a long day. I love that it's supposed to be good for your skin and says it's brightening. But a foundation has never broken me out so bad in my life. I usually blame my break outs for changes in my hormones considering I am on birth control, but these were so bad I had to consider something else and this was all I had changed. Also, I tend to put foundation only on the outside portion of my face because I don't want to cake it over my brightening concealer placed in the middle, and I only got the horrific acne where I placed this foundation! I haven't used this in 2 weeks and I'm still trying to recover. The zits were huge, painful, and long lasting unlike the small acne I get due to hormones fluctuations-which is how I can usually tell break outs are from a product. It really sucked having those pimples and brought down my confidence level by a lot, they have NEVER been so bad! Not going to ever reach for this foundation again. Sorry bare minerals.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/10/2014 3:27:00 AM More reviews by CatClosser

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I had seen this advertised on QVC, read reviews and watched a couple YouTube videos before I decided to purchase this foundation.

Let me start by saying that I don't wear makeup very often so even a tinted moisturizer feels heavy to me. I also have trouble finding a good match for my skin tone. I have fair to medium skin with pink undertones (Irish, Japanese, English, German & Portuguese ancestry) that can either be extremely oily or combination depending on the day and/or season. My skin is also acne prone, sensitive and I have rosacea (with a very red nose) so it's a mess all around.

I started out by using the color finding guide on Ulta.com and decided that Bare Satin was probably the closest to my skin tone. I also ordered the brush they recommend with it. I love that there are so many colors to choose from and the descriptions made it easier for me to decide which to try.

I received my order in the mail but waited a couple days to try it out. I made sure to shake the bottle very well before doing each side of my face as the instructions and videos said to do. The color match was excellent! Probably the closest match I've ever found. Since I don't usually wear makeup I could definitely tell I had something on my face but it wasn't nearly as heavy as others I have tried in the past. I applied with the special brush and used 4 drops (2 for each side of my face) and got complete coverage but I felt that I still used too much. I also started with a skin primer and finished off with a light dusting of loose MAC powder to set it. It didn't give me a matte finish, which I didn't expect since everyone said it was dewy, but I feel that I may have used too much and by mid day I was feeling pretty greasy. But to be fair it was also a pretty hot day and I was outside a lot.

Today I applied 2 drops (1 for each side of my face) using just my fingers and it looks and feels much more natural. I also didn't use a primer or powder on top this time. I may try using the brush with just 2 drops to see if that works better than the first time. I'm an amateur at using a brush for foundation so it may just be that I need to practice. I still got a bit shiny but I wasn't nearly as greasy as the first time I tried it. It also may have been better if I had used a primer and powder.

So to summarize:

- Excellent color match
- Very lightweight but still good coverage
- A little goes a long way so even though the bottle is small, it will last a long time.
- I'm still undecided on the brush

All in all I'm glad I gave this foundation a chance and will continue to use it. I just need to practice, practice, practice.

4 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 8/8/2014 10:29:00 AM More reviews by cia_agent86

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I exchanged this from the original mineral formula in store. I got to sample it first. That should have been an indication of how it works. The odd thing is it wouldn't blend when the SA at BE put this on me. She kept saying it was my skin or my sunscreen (Clarins), NOT the product. I took it home and tried it several times with and without primer, with moisturizer, without, you name it! It stuck to any dry spot, sunk into every pore, it was awful! I did like that it felt lightweight though..

rated 5 of 5 on 8/8/2014 9:55:00 AM More reviews by JayFab

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Green

bareMinerals employee here, and I must say I wasn't a huge fan when we first got this. Mainly because Leslie told us for years that liquid was a NEVER. But here it is! It is so light and gentle that I can't say a single bad thing about this! I love the coverage! Full coverage with just two drops!!!!! It blends in seamlessly and makes my skin look and feel so silky soft. ALWAYS ALWAYS SET WITH MINERAL VEIL!!!' Otherwise it will look shiny.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/4/2014 5:08:00 PM More reviews by rhbrand

Well, after using this now off and on for a couple months, I've got to say, this is one of my favorite foundations. I'd give it 4.5 stars if I could.
I got the lightest one they had, and I did end up getting the brush. I use 2 drops for my everyday coverage. Once in a while, I'll add an extra drop for a little more coverage. 2 drops gives me a nice ligher to medium coverage.
I do find that after a few hours, my nose is alittle shinier than it is with Bare Minerals foundation, but it is the middle of summer, and its hot and humid out there. And its nothing that a blotter takes care of in no time at all, and its not enough to keep me from using it again.
I really like this foundation, and will keep getting it

rated 4 of 5 on 8/3/2014 4:27:00 PM More reviews by JoeyRCB

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I got this in 03 - Bare Linen and it's not a perfect match but it was the closest to my coloring. For reference, I wear Fairly Light in the BE Original Foundation, and NW 20 in MAC. Anyway, the color Bare Linen is workable once I add a little bronzer!

I didn't purchase the brush that is offered with this foundation. I worked for Bare Minerals for a long time and in that time, I realized that I just don't like their brushes. Love their products, hate their brushes! For me, their brushes shed too much and feel scratchy, and I prefer my MAC and Real Techniques brushes.

I tried this foundation first with my Real Techniques Buffing Brush. Before you use it, shake it plenty! Shake shake shake! Depending on how much coverage you want, you're supposed to use 2 to 6 drops on each side of your face. I like very light coverage so I used one drop on each side. The texture of this foundation is weird! It's impossible to describe but it doesn't feel like you're putting anything on, and it does blend very, very easily. I have dry skin and for me, this foundation is dry skin friendly. The coverage lasts me pretty much all day, though five hours in I should probably touch up with some setting powder. For me, this foundation does give the appearance of real skin, though again I like light coverage and I'm only using one drop on each side of my face.

I also tried this foundation with a damp Beauty Blender and I liked it even better that way. Of course, with a damp Beauty Blender, it goes on even more sheer so while the finish was extremely natural, I did have to go back and use concealer (Maybelline Fit Me) on the redness on my cheeks.

I like this foundation a lot and I think I'll like it even more when cooler weather arrives.