September 22, 2014 | 967 users online

Liquid - Bare Escentuals - bareSkin® Pure Brightening Serum Foundation Broad Spectrum SPF 20

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/23/2014 6:51:00 PM More reviews by dtm428

I am in love with this product. I have not used a liquid foundation in almost 20 years, so it was a big relief when I decided to try this product that I ended up loving it! I've been using BareMinerals foundation for almost my entire make-up wearing life, and I have loved it. I wear a very light layer, so except for helping to even out my skin tone, most of the time I look like I don't have anything on. Unfortunately, on hot days, it's difficult to apply a powdery mineral foundation. This liquid serum is perfect. I was skeptical about having to buy a special brush, but from my first application, I fell in love with that too. The serum goes on extremely smooth and blends in flawlessly. I only use two drops for my entire face and neck. I get light coverage with the two drops, so I still have my barely there foundation look. I would not hestiate buying this product again and I highly recommend it. It doesn't do anything for my oily T-zone, so I need a separate product for that. Maybe in the future they will come out with an oil control formula.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 6/22/2014 2:27:00 AM More reviews by bonitasonia

This sucks!!

It takes more then a few drops and the coverage is no good. I used my fingers..a sponge..with primer..with the mineral viel...all I can say is OIL!! OIL!! OIL!! Super oily!!

Though I must admit I did find the right color to match but they really should pull this from the market. This is definitly going back to ulta!! So glad I didn't waste the money on the brush!!

I will stick to the loose powder mineral foundation but I am still in the hunt for the HG liquid!!

6 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 6/21/2014 11:53:00 PM More reviews by aperfectegg

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Curly, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I thought that that this would be the perfect foundation but since using it, it is almost the worst. I have applied it both with the brush and fingers and see no difference in the finish so save your money. Even with a VERY light hand it settled instantly into my large pores and every line on my face had a caked coating. It looks mask like. I do not think that this can even possibly be good for my skin because as I looked at my skin with my magnifying mirror I could see pools of this in every line and pore and it was already making those tiny white things on my skin. Just goes to show you -- Don't believe anything you hear and only a little of what you read and half of what you see! It's going back!

rated 1 of 5 on 6/21/2014 4:00:00 PM More reviews by dolores1010

I had high hopes for this foundation after reading rave reviews in almost every women's magazine. If you have large pores, this is not the foundation for you. It sunk into my pores leaving me with no coverage at all after a day at work. The claims say that the product contains no oil, but by the end of the day my face was an oily, greasy mess! I am a fan of mineral makeup but will stick to either Jane Iredale pressed base or Glominerals for the time being.

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 6/21/2014 3:01:00 PM More reviews by ghoulnextdoor

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I had heard fantastic things about this product, and as I seem to be nearing an age where *nothing* works for my face anymore, I was eager to try it out. At 38 years of age, I have some redness and a little bit of sun damage I'd like to cover up. I've been at a loss for products though, because I've reached a point where no matter how much exfoliating or moisturizing I do, my face flakes up horribly when I put any sort of foundation or powder on it. My sister once looked at me and without preamble she asked me "What in the HELL is wrong with your face?" after I had applied some previous samples of something or other. Unfortunately I seem to get that response from her more and more often lately.

The long and sort of it is that this product has given me the worst case of "what the hell" face that I have encountered yet. Every inch of my face was flaking. I bet I looked like I had mange or leprosy or something. I wish I had tried it first, because now that's about $60 down the drain ($30 for the makeup and another $30 for the silly brush). I really wanted to love it, and I am glad it works for some people, but not for me. If your skin flakes at even the thought of makeup - just skip this one. I know you'll want it to work and everyone will try to convince you it is a miracle, but save your money and keep looking.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 6/21/2014 2:13:00 PM More reviews by Reservechic

This has got to be the worst foundation that BM has come out with yet. I do not know who is in charge of developing new products, but that person or team of individuals appears to be rushing out products that either need to be worked on more, or should not be launched at all. This is called a serum foundation, but it really is a low quality liquid foundation in disguise. What is worse is this weird brush they developed to go with it. You add drops of foundation into it, depending on how much coverage you desire. After that you apply the foundation to your face, which I did. As I was applying the foundation it felt like the brush was also removing some of it at the same time. How can you really get medium to full coverage at all, if the brush is really sheering the foundation out on your face, till it looks more like you have on a tinted moisturizer versus a foundation. Building up more coverage is virtually impossible. It also this slightly chemical scent to it as well. And whether I wore it with mineral veil on top for oil control, this foundation does not mesh well with heat. As, I had to do touch ups during the day, yet the product I could see was not holding up well at all. It may hold up better when the weather is cool/cold outside. However, I have no plans to find out as I returned both the foundation and brush for a refund from QVC.

Please do not believe the hype on this product. As, I don't know what direction this company is going in anymore ever since it was taken over by Sheseido.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/20/2014 2:30:00 AM More reviews by uraznbabygurl

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

This is only a first impressions review because I've only tried this out for about 3 days. I've been extremely loyal to NARS Sheer Matte and NARS Pressed Powder Foundation. They make the perfect color match for my winter skin (Fiji) and I am really picky about foundation matches. I recently went on a one-week vacation to the Dominican Republic which left me with a lovely, light summer tan. Unfortunately, Fiji is too light for me in both formulas. The next shade up, Punjab, is far too peachy to match my golden undertones. I also felt that NARS SM has a little bit too much coverage for me right out of the bottle. I often mix it with moisturizer to sheer it out to my liking. The Pressed Powder foundation seems to be a little too matte for me, and I think it's time that my combo skin retires it. I had heard about BareSkin --- its advertised sheer & natural finish intrigued me. That and its fairly reasonable price ($29 vs. $40+ for my NARS foundations) made me decide to try it.

I first tried it on at a BE boutique. The SA did try to push me into buying that fancy brush. I don't feel that it's necessary. I went ahead and bought the Real Techniques Expert Face brush after watching several YT girls recommending this. I think it works just as well. Anyway, I fell in love with the way it looked on my skin. Not too matte, not too dewy, and not heavy at all. I don't require a lot of coverage, and I tried doing 1 drop on my left side of the face + 1 drop on the right side + 1 drop for the forehead & nose. I think this combo is perfect for me. The one gripe I do have about this foundation thus far is its lasting power. I had topped NARS Pressed LRP over this foundation and got about 5 hours wear before I started noticing some oiliness. However, the SA did prep my skin with moisturizer & primer (which is something that I didn't do today). That seemed to increase its longevity on me. I'll report back once I do this.

NOW, the one thing that I can definitely elaborate on is the SHADES. I think there is a really extensive shade range. I have said that about my beloved NARS, but they specialize for yellower tones & don't have many options for neutral or cool skintones. With BareSkin, the shades are listed by undertone & depth which makes it really nice to pinpoint the shades that may suit you. I asked the SA to try Bare Ivory (04 - light skin with golden undertones), Bare Cream (05 - light skin with rich golden undertones), Bare Nude (09 - medium skin with golden undertones), and Bare Buff (10 - medium skin with rich golden undertones). She tried those on me plus Bare Natural (07 - medium skin with neutral undertones) and Bare Beige (08 - medium skin with neutral to golden undertones). The nice thing about the packaging is that the color you see on the bottle is pretty much what you get. With my tan, I think I may be around NC30 right now. I knew 07 and 08 would not be yellow enough for me just by looking at the bottle. I also noticed that 04 (which is definitely not your typical ivory shade) is actually darker than 05. Furthermore, 04 actually seemed to be more golden than 05 despite not being labeled as a "rich golden" shade. I reckon that 04 would be my winter shade, whereas 05 would be great for someone who wears NARS Ceylan. 09 and 10 seemed to blend pretty well with my skin that I deliberated for a good 5 minutes. I ultimately decided on 09; 10 was just a tiny bit darker and olive-y. If I end up loving this foundation, I will definitely go back and get 04 to mix with my 09 as my tan fades.

rated 3 of 5 on 6/19/2014 2:20:00 PM More reviews by valexander01

Honestly, I loved everything about this foundation except mine stunk. It literally smelt like play-dough and it lingered all day. The finish was great, it looked awesome on my skin but just could not get over the smell. This will definitely be going back to Sephora.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/16/2014 12:52:00 PM More reviews by mchampion

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I am 46 years old, skin discoloration, a few wrinkles are slowly trying to creep in (which I'm fighting every step of the way), I tend to get an oily t-zone late in the afternoon and break out super easy. I stopped by the store after seeing the advertisements and they fixed me three samples of color shades in my range so I could test them at home to see which one I preferred. I will say that I use Origins Make a Difference treatment moisturizer and Too Faced Primed and Poreless before applying this foundation. I'm not sure if it is because of the moisturizer and primer, since I haven't tried applying it without, but it applies smooth as butter. I was so impressed that I went back and bought a bottle and I also bought the brush but ended up returning it because I didn't care for the way it looked using their brush. I use a flat one but the bristles are softer and it doesn't have the cut out (can't remember the name of it at the moment). I also set this with Merle Norman Mineral makeup. I have tried Bare Minerals but unfortunately it doesn't cover as well or match as well as the MN, on me anyway. I have been using this foundation for three weeks and have not had any breakouts, haven't had to touch up to cover an oily t-zone and my skin actually feels better when I take my makeup off. I love the fact that this is "natural", omitting all of the hazardous preservatives/fillers, it has sunscreen and it feels and looks like a second skin instead of appearing thick and cakey and is a serum as well as a foundation, plus it is odorless. You should stop by and get a sample to see for yourself. Absolutely incredible!!

9 out of 12 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/15/2014 6:26:00 PM More reviews by BEjunkie

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Because I totally drink the koolaid. The coverage is lovely, especially if you have redness and hyper pigmentation. Oily skinned girls will find that a primer and setting powder is a must. I find the mineral veil works wonderfully to set it. On me, this lasted great despite lots of time outdoors in humid Florida, and sweating. I love the added sunscreen as well but worried a bit about it because some sunscreens break me out. My skin looks radiant with this on, and it really looks like my skin. I stopped wearing Bare Minerals foundation years ago because of some cystic chin pimples that I thought may have been caused by the foundation. Now, looking back, I think it might have been post pregnancy hormones and that I should have kept with the foundation. It's the only one I'd ever used that actually felt good for my skin. I love the hygienic delivery of this product. I'm not sure the brush was a necessary purchase, especially because I had the Philosophy Supernatural brush in my collection already, which is almost identical in size, weight, feel and bristle. Except without the weird indentation. At any rate, this foundation is like nothing I have ever tried. It is gorgeous and gives you flawless skin. It doesn't stay put quite like my thick, full coverage foundation that clogs my pores and gives me cake face but I don't mind. This is one of those foundations that are perfect for summer.