Laura Mercier Pressed Setting Powder - Translucent

3.9

Ingredients: Talc, Dimethicone, Nylon-12, Zinc Stearate, Octyl Palmitate, Sodium Dehydroacetate, Methylparaben, Silica, Propylparaben, Ascorbyl Palmitate, Tocopherol, Butylparaben. /- May contain: Titanium Dioxide (Cl 77891), Mica, Iron Oxides (Cl 77491, Cl 77492, Cl 77499), Ultramarines (Cl 77007), Bismuth Oxychloride (Cl 77163), Manganese Violet (Cl 77742), Carmine (Cl 75470).

on 7/6/2008 3:57:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

HG. With my oily skin I always have pressed powder in my purse, but this feels so light and silky and I can pat away without adding any color. I agree with the reviewer who said the plastic packaging feels cheap. This is the most money I've spent for a compact of pressed powder ($30) but it might as well be from the drugstore.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Excellent powder for setting makeup. Lightweight and appropriate for the summer. I use this over Laura Mercier's tinted moisturizer. This powder does not settle in to any fine lines. It does an excellent job of taking off the shine and minimizing the appearance of pores. The color in the compact is deceptive -- it is quite light almost a pale yellow.

It is VERY important that you take the time to "rub"/blot this powder in to your skin. Using the sponge applicator it comes with to simply sweep the top layer of your skin with the powder will likely lead to disastrous results. When I don't pat/rub the powder in, it looks like I've put white talc on my face -- it does not appear translucent at all. I've taken off a lippie for this very fact. When applied properly, however, it is a transluscent setting powder as advertised. Unlike the loose powder version, this one does not irritate my skin. Plus, it is convenient for travel.

on 6/7/2008 6:58:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

The powder case is nothing to write home about - boring cheap brown plastic. You would expect something more elegant for such a price.
But the powder itself is outstanding! Silky, light, very fine and doesn't build up like lots of other powders do. It barely shows on your skin so if you need more coverage you have to look for something else.
For me it has become a HG (keeps oilies at bay, no breakouts, no morphing colors etc) and I will definitely repurchase!
Update: half a year later. I am still halfway through with my first powder! Normally with other powders I have to buy a new one every month. This is definitely a winner!

on 4/5/2008 10:16:00 AM

This is my HG powder! At first I was wary about trying a translucent powder, but it works for me! It doesn't add unnecessary color and it holds back the oil. Definitely creates the "flawless face."

on 3/12/2008 5:55:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure

Didn't like this product at all. The LM Translucent Loose Powder works much better. I returned this.

on 2/2/2008 6:52:00 PM

This is a very fine milled translucent (whitish) powder. I use this to set Clinique's Superfit Foundation. It does apply translucent. It glides and applies very well into my skin. However, I don't use the sponge it comes with, instead I use my own regular face brush. It definitely gets rid of sheen from my foundation. I don't know yet how it will hold up with shine throughout the day. Will update...

on 1/5/2008 12:48:00 PM

Description from LM website: "Laura Mercier Translucent Pressed Setting Powder is a lightly, fine-milled French "cashmere" talc powder, formulated like the Loose Setting Powder, in an easy-to-carry compact with mirror."

I got this in a swap, but normally it retails for 30 USD for 0.28 oz. Pretty expensive. I have used this almost every day for two months, and I can already see the bottom of the pan. Chances are I will finish this in another two months. The compact is pretty, less streamlined than I expected, but the burgundy-brown color is a nice change from the usual black. LM recommends using the sponge in a "pressing" motion. I recommend using a nice powder brush instead. Application looks more flawless and silky. The sponge easily leaves white residue, and if you have slightly flaky skin, it will be accentuated.

I have not used many powders in the past, so I am not sure what to expect from a powder. However, this powder did not break me out nor accentuate fine lines and pores. It looks nice and silky when applied with the right tools. According to LM it controls unwanted shine without drying the skin. I am partially agreeing with this statement. I do get oily after a while in the t-zone (8 hours or so), but I feel this powder slows the process a little and the longeviety of my makeup have been vastly increased. A very nice product from Laura Mercier, but I do think there are better, yet cheaper alternatives available.

on 11/15/2007 6:17:00 PM

The perfect powder for touch-ups. A little goes a long way, after touch-ups, face looks refreshed, not "another layer of powder on my face." I actually find the sponge satisfactory, it distributes powder on my face well, and very easy to tap off excess powder off the sponge too.

on 11/14/2007 6:21:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Warm

Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Medium

Excellent all around powder. Easy to apply and provides a very even and silky finish. I use this about twice during the day on the t-zone area and it does not cake or cause my foundation to fade. On of the best products from this line.

Only draw back is the applicator sponge. Could be better.

on 10/13/2007 1:29:00 PM

Ever since I tried Laura Mercier's Oil Free tinted moisturizer that I fell in love with the brand and I'll want to give anything that is suitable for my skin type a try.

Also, right after eyeliner I loved pressed powders and will try them out quite frequently, although I should stick to the "if it ain't broken, don't fix it" rule of thumb.

Laura Mercier's translucent pressed powder seemed like an ideal opportunity to change powder for something that would control the oil and not as agressive like MAC's blot powder sometimes is on my skin.

First, I hate the sponge, I find it unhygienic I don't like the way it dispenses the powder on my face and find that I always need to touch it up with my brush. I gave up on it after three disastrous uses.

I also find that this transluscent powder is rather chalky on my complexion and takes its own sweet time to set and by mid-morning the powder migrates enhancing lines I wasn't even aware existed, it's definitely something that stays on my kit for touch-ups on someone not cursed with oily skin like mine.