Chanel Allure for women

on 2/7/2011 7:06:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Kinky, Medium

This is a beautiful, timeless scent that is pretty but sophisticated at the same time. Scents I have previously thought of as sophisticated, Cartier's So Pretty or Hermes' Kelly Caleche for example, have felt quite cold or sharp but Allure manages to be warm, enveloping and smooth. It's a very comforting scent, the kind of scent you'd love someone you hugged to be wearing. I can imagine wearing it well in both warm and cooler weather - summers in Cannes, winter in St. Moritz. I love how it opens with a bright, citrusy feel before revealing the softer, creamy vanilla base. The fresh notes at the start include mandarin, bergamot and peach whilst the heart of the fragrance seems more classically floral with notes like jasmine, magnolia and orange blossom. At the base are 3 of my favorite notes: sandalwood, vetiver and vanilla. The composition of the fragrance seems expertly blended. None of the notes overwhelm, they all work in perfect harmony. The longevity is excellent, I have the EDP and it lasts for hours. Also, a little goes a long way - just 1 spray is needed at any time because it is quite strong. I have always loved Allure on other people and have just recently bought it to wear for myself. I think it's because I feel more like a confident, adult woman now than I did for the last few years when I was enjoying light-hearted flings with the likes of Paris Hilton's Can Can and whatever Escada's newest fruity summer scent was. Something about me and Allure just seem to 'click', now. A fragrance should meld not only with the wearer's chemistry but also with their personality. Pink Sugar suited me perfectly when I was a Juicy tracksuit wearing teenager but Allure suits me better now that I'm a more cashmere and Cartier 20-something. "Sexy" is a word that people interpret in a lot of different ways and Allure would not be described as an obvious “come-hither” sexy - its certainly not ‘dirty’-sexy, indolic or animalic. But I would still call it sexy in a very classy way. Allure is a scent that could still be worn to the office or to other more conservative or formal occasions. I can imagine wearing it for both black tie and casual wear because more than anything I think it's very elegant. Apparently Princess Letizia and Princess Stephanie both wear Allure and I think that speaks volumes. I came across a review that said this was the fragrance for the woman that had it all - beauty, brains, social life, career and I agree. It seems very "put together" and polished. I’m not surprised to hear people describe Allure as generic or boring because it isn't trying to be different. I appreciate a perfume that is not overly-thought out or complex and based on some moment in time or a specific theme and is going to be appealable "to the masses". And I always imagine a smart, classically beautiful, sophisticated girl or woman wearing this because that's exactly what Allure is.

on 2/6/2011 4:46:00 AM

Fresh, clean, sweet (but not too sweet) and very sexy scent. I enjoy wearing a variety of perfumes depending on my mood & occasion, so while I have a few that I favor more than others, I don't have just one signature scent that I wear all the time.

However, this one has the distinction of being the one in my collection that men make the most comments about. It never fails - even just male friends, business associates and a stranger or two in an elevator remark something along the line of - "you smell really good", and I get a lot of hugs. The married ones ask what it is, wanting to buy a bottle for their wife.

I know I choose perfume based on what pleases me, but it doesn't hurt that the guys seem to really like this one too. ;-)

on 1/21/2011 4:39:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

EDIT 12-11-12
I stopped wearing this when I was pregnant and after having my baby. I recently began using it again and for some reason, the high note is too much for me now. I started using the EDP and it has a richer, smoother scent, but doesn't have the high note. I prefer the EDP now.

I've been wearing this (EDT) for over 10 years. I don't know how to describe the notes, except it smells classy and sophisticated and beautiful. It's very long lasting and body heat accentuates the scent in a good way. It hits a high, slightly sharp note, especially with body heat.

on 12/31/2010 11:46:00 AM

Lovely fragrance, very classy. One of my favorite scents to wear.

on 12/22/2010 4:43:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

I do love most of the Chanel fragrances, but....this one just has no zap to me. I wanted to try other smells besides #5 & Coco (my favorite) so I sprayed this one on a stick at Nordstorm. Hum...not so bad, so I asked for a sample. The nice lady put two drops into a tiny spray bottle. ;-) Well, that was enough actually, since it did not smell great on me. I didn't notice a baby powder smell, couldn't really smell much of any smell once it was applied. It somehow got lost in my body chemistry. I mean like really lost, there was hardly a noticeable fragrance at all. My husband usually can pick up on scents right away, and he too did not smell anything. So for me, this one is a no purchase. For the price, I expected it to smell great. The bottle is very unattractive to say the least. ;-) I bet this does smell pretty on some ladies, as it did smell good on the paper stick.

on 12/17/2010 5:20:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

Oddly enough, this settles on me simply like the scent of baby powder. My friends all took a whiff of me, and commented it smelled like baby powder as well..
It is a nice warm comforting scent, doesn't give me a blaring headache, nor does it make me gag, nor is it too too obvious.

I find it nice, just not exactly what I am looking for, however more wearable for me than some of Chanel's other scents

on 12/2/2010 2:59:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

love it

on 12/2/2010 2:58:00 PM

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

I prefer the EDT to the EDP of this fragrance. Fresh and citrusy at the beginning, it opens in lavishing floral heart to wooden and vanilla.
Fresh: lemon and bergamot
Fruity: mandarin and peach
Classical floral: the rose of May, jasmine, water lily, peony, magnolia, orange blossom
Woody: sandalwood and vetiver
Oriental: vanilla

on 12/1/2010 2:57:00 PM

There is no category for Chanel Allure shower gel but I got some in a gift set, and this is what I wish the fragrance or even the lotion smelled like. Maybe it does, from a distance. The fragrance gets me lots of compliments, but to my nose, it's annoyingly heavy and artificial/perfumey. So when I wear it I don't enjoy it myself but others do.

on 11/8/2010 7:33:00 AM

When i think of the women in my family, i associate certain fragrances with many of them. Most of which are Chanel. When i was 13, my aunt (coco) bought this for me. I remember opening the present and feeling so grown up to receive my very own Chanel signature scent. Imagine my disappontment when i sprayed it and hated it. After a few months of trying to love it, i gave up and opted for Giorgio Beverly hills of all things! - well, it was the 90's!
Thinking i was rid of this perfume, i forgot about the 'family signature' thing. I have the hair spritz, two large bottles of EDP, one EDT, body lotion... i 'm now 28 and i still hate it!

Popular Fragrances