October 25, 2014 | 839 users online

Loose Powders - NYX - HD Studio Finishing Powder

rated 5 of 5 on 6/5/2013 2:22:00 PM More reviews by skelsey

Age: 44-55 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Have to agree w/ prev reviewer ..this stuff does somehow make my combo but oily T zone look glowy..matte but not flat..even good in retail store lighting and we all know how flattering that is ! I love it ...

rated 4 of 5 on 6/4/2013 7:33:00 PM More reviews by jojomua

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Dark, Neutral Hair: Black, Relaxed, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I am very pleased with this product. Getting into make-up as a beginner , I never really understood the purpose of a finishing powder or how it would look on me, but I so glad I got this !! Oil control at its finest! And the finish is beautiful..

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/22/2013 2:24:00 PM More reviews by beautyforless

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

If you're as vain and self-centered as I am, you're gonna love this powder. As soon as you apply it, it's hard to take your eyes off yourself, cause you just look so darn good.
I was an avid fan of the ELF HD Powder for quite some time. After a year of much love, I ran out of it and planned on repurchasing until I saw these reviews. Well, why not? I'm always looking to try something new, and I had a coupon so I snatched it up.
When I got home I eagerly applied my foundation, powder, blush and bronzer, and went for the HD powder to smooth and set everything. I almost gasped when I got it out. It's the finest, smoothest powder I've ever laid eyes on. Smoother and finer than ELF, MUFE, and just wispy and dream-like in every single way.
I took a tiny bit on my ELF kabuki and buffed it into my face.
...
My goodness.
This powder delivers. I looked flawless, airbrushed, and maybe it was just me, but the powder seemed to add some luminous look to my skin. Those effects lasted all day, no fading, no touching up just gorgeousness. What impressed me the most is how this powder managed to work with my impossible skin; oily t-zone, dry cheeks, and acne gallore. It didn't cling to the dry patches on my face yet it also kept me matte without drawing attention to my acne. I almost did a cartwheel...before I remembered that I can't do a cartwheel without hurting myself.
NYX labeled this product as "a miracle in a jar". I must say, I'm inclined to agree.

21 out of 21 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 5/20/2013 7:26:00 PM More reviews by BurberryBrown

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Warm Hair: Black, Kinky, Fine Eyes: Brown

No matter what type of setting powder I use I always get shine after a few minutes of use. If I'm not planning on going anywhere important I'll use the NYC transparent setting powder but it doesn't really do much of anything. After about a half an hour it wears off. For the price, though (around 3.99 for a large container) it's not bad for casual days or days when you aren't wearing foundation. The best setting powder I've found so far is the Mattify! Ultra loose powder. It's meant for very oily skin which I have but, just like any other powder I've tried it wears off after few hours AND I have to order it online.
Now for the NYX powder....MY SEARCH ENDS HERE!!!!!!!! This is by far the best powder I've used hands down. I apply it in the morning and it lasts all day. My face stays pretty matte until the end of the day when my skin looked dewy instead of the normal oil slick and that's after being out all day and spending my fair amount of time in the Florida sun. I think if you're looking for something that is truly going to keep the oilies away and not break you out give this powder a try.
*the only drawback to using this powder is the container but I think that's a problem with most loose powders. This one is very finely milled so almost no matter what the powder tends to blow away as soon as I open the container but I'll take that considering the powder is a miracle worker.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 5/12/2013 12:05:00 PM More reviews by Dlrainer

I've owned a couple high end finishing powders and none even come close to the NYX HD Studio Finishing Powder. It leaves your face completely matte and takes away all shine/oil. I find it also gives my face a lovely smooth look, like I've been airbrushed. I also found that unlike my high end finishing powders, the NYX last all day. I hardly ever have to re-apply it. The only downside is I wish it came in better packaging. Because it is so finely milled, it easy to spill it or use to much. To apply, I turn it upside down (making sure the lid is closed on tight first) and give it a small shake to allow the power to go onto the inside of the lid, then I turn it back over, tap the lid lightly and then open it. I use a Large Mac face brush, using only the powder still left on the inside of the lid to do my whole face. If you dip your brush in the powder itself you will most certainly get too much on your brush. You can't beat the price either!! Great product!!

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/8/2013 2:24:00 PM More reviews by totoro

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I have both of the other well-known silica setting powders, the MUFE and Elf versions. I actually prefer this one over both. It seems to be more finely milled and smoother, so finely milled in fact, that it drifts up into the air when the lid is removed. Annoying, yes, but this is just an indicator of how very fine the particles are. As such it doesn't cake or settle into fine lines, nor does it emphasize dry patches. Just a very smooth and beautiful finish. It's 100% silica, and I don't remember how that compares to the MUFE and Elf, but I'll check the label and update. The only reason I'm giving it a '4' is because the very small amount in the jar makes it deceivingly expensive at $9.99 US (Ulta).

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 4/1/2013 7:43:00 PM More reviews by Helzbelz25

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I don't mind this powder it's great for setting lipstick aswell. Pat lips with tissue add powder and then more lipstick - nyx haut melon of course ;o) I have heard you can use corn starch as a translucent setting powder but pure silica works well too.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/28/2013 11:46:00 AM More reviews by echoluster

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

Another inexpensive, winning product from NYX. It's 100% silica, and honestly, I don't have another powder of its type to compare to, but I really like this one.

Goes on nice and smooth with a fluffy powder brush, gives a nice finish (seems to hide pores very well).

Only complaint is the packaging. I wish that instead of a flimsy plastic film covering the holes that dispense the loose powder, it was a sturdier plastic thing that could actually control the flow of powder better.