October 26, 2014 | 1037 users online

Pressed Powders - Essence - All About Matt Fixing Compact Powder

rated 4 of 5 on 7/7/2013 10:41:00 PM More reviews by marshiemallow14

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Bought this because it's cheap and essence is rumored to be really good for the price. Picked it up after a lot of searching at numerous stores. It's not perfect but helps a lot. Goes on translucent, probably not the best for darker skin tones as it may not be completely translucent in those cases. However, it works really well, and is dirt cheap.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/4/2013 11:25:00 AM More reviews by CupCakeCat

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I'm really impressed with this, makeup prices are very high where I come from and this was about $5, an absolute bargain. I would still buy this again even if it were more expensive. This does not go on white (although it might look pale on darker skins) and does not settle in lines and pores. It goes on well with all my different foundations (silicone/oil/water based).

rated 5 of 5 on 7/1/2013 9:02:00 PM More reviews by cpickard

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

OMG. So cheap, so good. $3.99 Canadian ... I went out to find this on the strength of reviews (plus, after getting spendy on bronzer and mascara and foundation I was feeling cheap ...) I'm so glad I went for this instead of a more expensive one!

Very fine powder, sheer coverage. It goes on translucent, not white, and is perfect for setting a sheer foundation without making it look heavy. It does add very slightly to the coverage and slightly reduces the dewiness (I use MAC face & body) BUT overall still leaves a natural impression. (For me, MAC face & body can be a bit TOO dewy, and it tends to wear off over the course of a work day, so this is a winning combination.) Blotting with paper later in the day for oil and moisture, I noticed no foundation was coming off, only the oil and moisture ... so this really worked to seal off my foundation.

I had to search a bit, apparently not all Shoppers Drug Marts carry them and this was tucked away on the very bottom of a free-standing rack of Essence cosmetics, hard to see.

SO worth the search. The packaging isn't elegant, but seems sturdy. You need your own brush ... but pre-packaged powder applicators usually aren't that great anyway, so no big deal.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/27/2013 7:23:00 AM More reviews by mariella99

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I owe yet another big "thank you" to MUAers because had I not stumbled across reviews for this product, I wouldn't have known it existed or I would have passed by Essence entirely and dismissed it as being a low quality line with nothing for me.

I've got many high end blotting and mattifying powders from Nars, MAC, Guerlain, etc. "All About Matt" is every bit as good as any of them (maybe even better) and for less than 4 bucks! How amazing is that? I don't find I get any white cast with this but I apply it just to my T-zone and use a Real Techniques buffing brush and get great results. What's amazing is how long the matte effect lasts, even in the crazy Southern Ontario weather, which has been blisteringly hot and humid this past week. I don't have to "powder my nose" for a good 6 hours or more. I'm going to buy another one of these so I have one at home and one in my purse. I am so impressed with this product - price AND performance - that I'm now going to try some of their eye shadows - the "quattros" and the single ones. For Canadians looking for Essence, it is available (exclusively, I think) at Shoppers Drug Mart.

UPDATE: SDM had their 20X the points event today (July 13) so I went and got 2 more of these - one for my daughter and one more for me so I can have one at home and one in my bag for touch-ups when I'm out. Simply an amazing product.

12 out of 12 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/26/2013 5:08:00 PM More reviews by oubliette

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

Nice product overall! I've previously used MAC blot powder in the past but have been searching for a cruelty-free replacement (now that MAC is doing animal testing to sell on the Chinese market).

Pros:
Cheap as chips!
Does a good job at mattifying without adding colour.
No animal testing.

Cons:
A little on the white side. Easy to overdo with darker skin tones.
Flimsy packaging. Hinge broke after a couple of weeks for me.
Lots of fallout. Slightly messy but I can deal with it.
No brush/sponge included.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/23/2013 8:35:00 AM More reviews by bteaster5

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Amazing product! I'm totally addicted to Essence!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/9/2013 2:33:00 PM More reviews by trisheee

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Medium, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

WOW! Just WOW! Not one drop of shine is getting through this stuff! I'm shocked by how well this mattifies without out looking cakey. I can go the entire day with no touchups after applying this when I do my morning makeup. It's a scary bright white pressed powder in the pan but doesn't appear white on the skin...unless you pile it on. Just a light dusting with a powder brush does the trick. My face looks airbrushed like velvet when I use it. It can look a tiny bit flat, but nothing a little highlight can't fix. And it's so worth it not to have oily breakthrough for the rest of the day! I was lucky enough to find this at ULTA on an end cap. But i suspect it's usually sold out, as all the good essence products usually are. Definetly worth tracking down online. If you struggle with oily skin you owe it to yourself to try this out. I highly doubt you'll regret it. And it's only US$3.99! Every one of my HE blot powders can't touch this with 20' pole!

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 5/31/2013 6:19:00 PM More reviews by StrawberryDuck

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

Keeps me shine free for the whole day! I tend to get oily every hour but this keeps me from getting shiny. I wear it on top of my MAC powder foundation in the summer and on top of my Wet 'n' Wild Coverall Cream Foundation in the winter. It's hard to find it where I live because it has not come here yet or they ran out. I've hit pan on my first one, but good thing I bought a second.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/24/2013 9:08:00 AM More reviews by BayRidge

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

An absolutely fabulous product. I won't even say for the price, because its a great product all around. But for US$3.99? Its amazing. Better than my 100% pure silica spheres, dare I say better than Clarins Ever Matte? It tones down the shine from my tinted SS and better yet, keeps the shine down for a good 6-8 hours. A light top up late afternoon doesn't cake or look unnaturally matte. I think its a dupe for Mac Blot (which I've never used) but am so happy to have found a pressed powder that works as well as this one does to reduce shine and look natural. Thank you Essence!

Ingredients::
Talc, Aluminum Starch Octenylsuccinate, Saphire Powder, Aqua (Water), Magnesium Stearate, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Bis-Diglyceryl Polyacyladipate-2, Ethylhexyl Palmitate, Caprylyl Glycol, Hexylene Glycol, Phenoxyethanol.

10 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/23/2013 10:12:00 AM More reviews by Sjess

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Red, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Green

I'm not a foundation user, I'm more of a BB cream/TM gal. I use this stuff on it's own, or over BB cream/TM, to give me a matt complexion. Works perfect! And that for a measly 3 euro's! Highly recommended!