September 30, 2014 | 1954 users online

Pressed Powders - Essence - All About Matt Fixing Compact Powder

rated 5 of 5 on 7/1/2013 9:02:00 PM More reviews by cpickard

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

OMG. So cheap, so good. $3.99 Canadian ... I went out to find this on the strength of reviews (plus, after getting spendy on bronzer and mascara and foundation I was feeling cheap ...) I'm so glad I went for this instead of a more expensive one!

Very fine powder, sheer coverage. It goes on translucent, not white, and is perfect for setting a sheer foundation without making it look heavy. It does add very slightly to the coverage and slightly reduces the dewiness (I use MAC face & body) BUT overall still leaves a natural impression. (For me, MAC face & body can be a bit TOO dewy, and it tends to wear off over the course of a work day, so this is a winning combination.) Blotting with paper later in the day for oil and moisture, I noticed no foundation was coming off, only the oil and moisture ... so this really worked to seal off my foundation.

I had to search a bit, apparently not all Shoppers Drug Marts carry them and this was tucked away on the very bottom of a free-standing rack of Essence cosmetics, hard to see.

SO worth the search. The packaging isn't elegant, but seems sturdy. You need your own brush ... but pre-packaged powder applicators usually aren't that great anyway, so no big deal.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/27/2013 7:23:00 AM More reviews by mariella99

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I owe yet another big "thank you" to MUAers because had I not stumbled across reviews for this product, I wouldn't have known it existed or I would have passed by Essence entirely and dismissed it as being a low quality line with nothing for me.

I've got many high end blotting and mattifying powders from Nars, MAC, Guerlain, etc. "All About Matt" is every bit as good as any of them (maybe even better) and for less than 4 bucks! How amazing is that? I don't find I get any white cast with this but I apply it just to my T-zone and use a Real Techniques buffing brush and get great results. What's amazing is how long the matte effect lasts, even in the crazy Southern Ontario weather, which has been blisteringly hot and humid this past week. I don't have to "powder my nose" for a good 6 hours or more. I'm going to buy another one of these so I have one at home and one in my purse. I am so impressed with this product - price AND performance - that I'm now going to try some of their eye shadows - the "quattros" and the single ones. For Canadians looking for Essence, it is available (exclusively, I think) at Shoppers Drug Mart.

UPDATE: SDM had their 20X the points event today (July 13) so I went and got 2 more of these - one for my daughter and one more for me so I can have one at home and one in my bag for touch-ups when I'm out. Simply an amazing product.

11 out of 11 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/26/2013 5:08:00 PM More reviews by oubliette

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

Nice product overall! I've previously used MAC blot powder in the past but have been searching for a cruelty-free replacement (now that MAC is doing animal testing to sell on the Chinese market).

Pros:
Cheap as chips!
Does a good job at mattifying without adding colour.
No animal testing.

Cons:
A little on the white side. Easy to overdo with darker skin tones.
Flimsy packaging. Hinge broke after a couple of weeks for me.
Lots of fallout. Slightly messy but I can deal with it.
No brush/sponge included.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/23/2013 8:35:00 AM More reviews by bteaster5

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Amazing product! I'm totally addicted to Essence!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/9/2013 2:33:00 PM More reviews by trisheee

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Medium, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

WOW! Just WOW! Not one drop of shine is getting through this stuff! I'm shocked by how well this mattifies without out looking cakey. I can go the entire day with no touchups after applying this when I do my morning makeup. It's a scary bright white pressed powder in the pan but doesn't appear white on the skin...unless you pile it on. Just a light dusting with a powder brush does the trick. My face looks airbrushed like velvet when I use it. It can look a tiny bit flat, but nothing a little highlight can't fix. And it's so worth it not to have oily breakthrough for the rest of the day! I was lucky enough to find this at ULTA on an end cap. But i suspect it's usually sold out, as all the good essence products usually are. Definetly worth tracking down online. If you struggle with oily skin you owe it to yourself to try this out. I highly doubt you'll regret it. And it's only US$3.99! Every one of my HE blot powders can't touch this with 20' pole!

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 5/31/2013 6:19:00 PM More reviews by StrawberryDuck

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

Keeps me shine free for the whole day! I tend to get oily every hour but this keeps me from getting shiny. I wear it on top of my MAC powder foundation in the summer and on top of my Wet 'n' Wild Coverall Cream Foundation in the winter. It's hard to find it where I live because it has not come here yet or they ran out. I've hit pan on my first one, but good thing I bought a second.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/24/2013 9:08:00 AM More reviews by BayRidge

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

An absolutely fabulous product. I won't even say for the price, because its a great product all around. But for US$3.99? Its amazing. Better than my 100% pure silica spheres, dare I say better than Clarins Ever Matte? It tones down the shine from my tinted SS and better yet, keeps the shine down for a good 6-8 hours. A light top up late afternoon doesn't cake or look unnaturally matte. I think its a dupe for Mac Blot (which I've never used) but am so happy to have found a pressed powder that works as well as this one does to reduce shine and look natural. Thank you Essence!

Ingredients::
Talc, Aluminum Starch Octenylsuccinate, Saphire Powder, Aqua (Water), Magnesium Stearate, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Bis-Diglyceryl Polyacyladipate-2, Ethylhexyl Palmitate, Caprylyl Glycol, Hexylene Glycol, Phenoxyethanol.

9 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/23/2013 10:12:00 AM More reviews by Sjess

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Red, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Green

I'm not a foundation user, I'm more of a BB cream/TM gal. I use this stuff on it's own, or over BB cream/TM, to give me a matt complexion. Works perfect! And that for a measly 3 euro's! Highly recommended!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/6/2013 10:15:00 PM More reviews by PianoGirl1985

This is a great product ladies!
I have been waiting to purchase this and finally got my hands on it today and I even talked my friend into buying it too, even though she is more of a high-end makeup gal. She was looking to buy a translucent powder and almost bought one from NARS and good thing I stopped her because the NARS one was over $30 (ridiculous if you may ask me).

This compact is quite big and I prefer it in a pressed powder form. It is definitely white, but appears colorless on the face. I have used two high-end products like it before that I still have in my collection: the infamous MUFE HD powder and Laura Mercier brightening powder, which I do like but will never repurchase again because of the price.
This Essence one is so cheap ($3.99!) and works JUST as well if not better. I am not kidding you. After being outside the whole day and walking through the rain my makeup looked pretty "beat up." I was about to go out on a date with my husband and had no time to reapply my makeup. A few swipes of this powder made my face completely matte and flawless.
Save yourselves some money ladies and grab this product while you can!

**UPDATE** OK, so I did give this product a glowing review, but I had to take off a lippie due to the staying power. It still makes my face flawless and matte, but if you live in a place where temperature is over 80 and up and constant sun shine, this will not prevent your face from getting oily. I still got oily after 4 hours of wearing it..

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 5/5/2013 10:18:00 AM More reviews by gabby1765

I decided to try this. I dont hate it but i dont love it, for a very small price i sed why not. I apply it after my foundation, my skin is very red around the nose and cheek area. It didnt help, i found that when i put it on it would wipe my foundation a bit off and show the redness. Maybe its my foundation that isnt good idk. But in the areas i didnt have redness it looked great.