Nizoral AD Shampoo

4.4

Active Ingredients: Contains: Ketoconazole (1 %) Inactive Ingredients: Water, Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Cocamide MEA, Sodium Cocoyl Sarcosinate, Glycol Distearate, Acrylic Acid Polymer (Carbomer 1342), Fragrance, Sodium Chloride, Tetrasodium EDTA, Butylated Hydroxytoluene, Quaternium 15, Polyquaternium 7, Sodium Hydroxide, Hydrochloric Acid, FD&C Blue 1 6/14/09

on 12/26/2009 1:48:00 AM

After reading the good reviews I decided to try Nizoral since my hair is falling out due to seborrheic dermatitis (dandruff).

I have oily scalp (sometimes with itching but without flaking) and I figured this would work because of the antifungal properties of the ketoconazole.

I have been using it for almost 6 weeks and I donīt really notice any change in my scalp and it did not work for stopping hair loss.

I did not notice any irritation or dryness after using it it but doesn't do anything spectacular and it is a little bit expensive.

Maybe, it is only a good option if you have dry or flaky scalp.

on 12/14/2009 6:00:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I was cursed with pretty serious dandruff all my life - nothing I tried ever worked. Head and Shoulders, Selsun Blue and even rubbing my scalp with baking soda did not help. Then one night I was browsing through MUA and noticed the reviews on Nizoral. The reviews convinced me to give it a try, and I am very grateful to this community! After 3 uses (every other day), my dandruff and itchy scalp pretty much disappeared. I stopped using it and switched back to my Dove shampoo. When I see early signs of flaking again, I wash once with Nizoral and it generally does the trick.

To maximize effectiveness of Nizoral (or any anti-dandruff shampoo):
- Do not use it continuously (3 times a week MAX) or the scalp will build resistance to that shampoo and your dandruff will come back. If that happens, you could try rotating to another anti-dandruff shampoo.
- Leave it on the scalp for around 5-10 minutes (no more than that or it'll cause irritation) before rinsing to let it work into the skin.
-Do not rewash your scalp with another shampoo (even though it's a lil stinky ><) because the residue left over from the Nizoral shampoo will allow it to be more effective.

It doesn't have the greatest smell, and it does leave your hair somewhat dry. However, I find that following up with a conditioner helps with the dryness. I definitely recommend this product.

(Updated: 2/19/2010)

on 12/6/2009 11:07:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Olive, Not Sure

I have thick, dry hair that can't be washed more than once a week, but lately I had to wash it every three to four days at the minimum because of the itch and dandruff even right after washing. I used this shampoo once five days ago and I noticed the dandruff improved right away. There was NO dandruff or itching the first couple of days and at this five day mark I am noticing VERY little to no dandruff, and my scalp still feel fresh. I noticed that this shampoo mixes very well with my conditioner (Herbal Essences Hydralicious) and it left my hair nicely detangled. For people with thick hair like mine, its important to find shampoos and conditioners that mix well together chemically or detangling will be hard. Anyway, this seems to be working nicely.
UPDATE: the second time I used this it worked even MORE. I went two weeks without flakes and NO itch at all. This stuff has saved my hair. :)

on 12/2/2009 12:40:00 PM

I really am surprised this doesn't have 100% rating. A month or so ago I started getting these thick patches of flakes on my scalp and my hair started to come out at a much faster rate than normal. And I have really thin fine hair, losing as much hair as i was could be disastrous. I remember that by brother had used head and shoulders before and I detested the smell and had learned that it was super harsh for chemically treated hair so I didn't want to use it. Thanks to the reviews here for this stuff I went and bought the small bottle of 1%. I've used it 2 times. That's it, 2 x's, and my flakes and patches are gone! I wore a black sweater yesterday to test this out and I didn't get one single flake on it while I was out shopping. Today I'm going to go back to using my Nioxin shampoo I bought a few weeks ago hoping it would help. It didn't but I like it. I'll continue to use this one or two times a week as needed. BTW this shampoo doesn't stink like other dandruff shampoos. It actually smells kind of pretty. MUST use good conditioner afterward.

on 11/29/2009 4:22:00 AM

Hair: Brown, Other, Medium

I have really bad dry scalp that is flaky and patchy. I find that if I use Nizoral for about 2 weeks, it clears up enough so I can skip using the product for a while.

However, I have thick hair that only requires washing every two days, so using the product twice a week is easy for me. The product does smell, but this beats any other OTC dandruff shampoo - and I've tried them all!

This product is expensive in the UK, so I usually wait until I can get shipment in from the States.

on 10/25/2009 12:01:00 PM

Is your hair thinning due to genetics? This shampoo should be part of your arsenal! Not only is it fantastic at getting rid of an itchy, flaky scalp but it does a great job of washing away DHT. DHT is what attacks your follicles making your hair fall out (for those who inherited a propensity to be affected by DHT).

I have been using this shampoo for about a year. I added this to my regimen of propecia and minoxidal (10+ years). It has helped my hair thicken up. I use it once or twice a week, leaving it on for 5 minutes while occasionaly massaging it into my scalp. I try to concentrate it only on my scalp so it is not too drying on the rest of my hair. I shampoo with my usual Bumble and Bumble thickening shampoo and leave that on while I apply the Nizoral to my scalp. Works like a charm. I highly recommend it!

on 10/10/2009 8:46:00 PM

Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine

This stuff is great. It kept my head free of dandruff for like two years and I just bought it again because my scalp is getting little scabs and flakes on it. I kind of like the old lady smell, haha.

on 8/6/2009 3:37:00 AM

AWESOME product. I had a rash on my back-- my doc said it was most likely ringworm that I could have picked up at the gym, exacerbated by sweating and humidity (I sweat like crazy in heat & humidity). she recommended I try Lamasil on it... which only had a very mild benefit. I also tried coal tar, salicylic acid, tea tree oil stuff, eucalyptus oil, even clear nail polish... you name it. Nothing even came close to getting rid of it, and I went around for months with this, ugh. (in the end, turned out it was Tinea versicolor, which is caused by yeast)

Then I read about ketoconazole, as I was browsing wikipedia for more stuff to try on my poor skin. Got the OTC (1%) shampoo, and within ONE DAY, it went away. now I just use it as a body wash couple times of a week and it works like a charm!

Then, my sister also had a strange rash near her hairline, which turned out to be Seborrhoeic dermatitis (type of eczema). She'd been using a tea tree shampoo to try to control it, with no luck. Once again, Nizoral to the rescue and it went away after ONE USE!

As for dandruff, I had my dad try it and he says it's better than the Selsun Blue he'd been using for years. So looks like this is a winner all around! :D

Overall, really impressed with how well and how rapidly this works. Couldn't be happier!

on 7/27/2009 10:22:00 PM

I use this product everytime I get dandruff and this stuff really works. Enough said.

on 6/22/2009 9:12:00 AM

It works...
It thickens your hair ....
It makes it grow but....
.... makes it like straw.