September 23, 2014 | 1726 users online

Pressed Powders - NARS - Light Reflecting Pressed Setting Powder

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/21/2013 8:42:00 PM More reviews by mariella99

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I LOVE the results I get with this setting powder. Because it was sold out at my Sephora store, I got the loose version first and wasn't thrilled with it because while it's nice, it is just way too messy and I didn't find it did a noticeably better job than my other loose setting powders - MAC Prep+Prime, MUFE HD and Tarte. Finally last week, Sephora got another shipment of the Nars Pressed Setting Powder and I was up there in a flash. I am so happy with this product. It is VERY hard-pressed. In fact, it is hard to tell that your brush has picked up any product but when you do buff your brush over your face, you see the results - a "soft-focus", perfected look. Keeps my face looking fresh and poreless from first thing to the end of my work day and then some! I use a Sephora mineral brush or the #55 Professional or my MAC 130 - all give great results. The package includes a large mirror, which is a very nice touch and there is also an applicator which I haven't used yet but which I guess I would use in a pinch. Great product.

9 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 3/18/2013 6:20:00 PM More reviews by wanilkaa

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I used Givenchy Prisme Libre Loose Powder Quarter Air Sensation for years and I really love it. But this powder is absolutely fantastic! And I mean it. I love everything about it. How amazingly naturally looks on skin, how wonderful glow my face, how my skin stay demi-matte (healthy) almost whole day (have very oily t-zone and it's really miracle for me not to have to powder my face again after eight hours), how buildable it is, how satin is my face when I use it. And the package, the pouchette...sooo lovely! It's really treasure, I'm so happy that I bought it. Thanks a million NARS, love you!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/12/2013 10:06:00 AM More reviews by xtinahb

I already know I will hit pan on this amazing powder. Kett, MUFE HD, Laura Mercier, all now take a total backseat to the Pressed Nars setting powder. It is truly colorless on my light tan Asian NC30/C4 complexion. It truly keeps my skin satin/almost matte (but still healthy) for a solid 6 hours. There is no powderiness. I can layer and layer and buff and buff and I just get more and more surreal skin, but after a couple layers it definitely looks, well, surreal, so I tend to stop after a quick layer using a flat-top natural hair brush for my major planes and a smaller setting brush for around the nose, etc (I like a discontinued Lancome 'Cheekers' brush for the flat top brush and Nars Yachiyo around the curves of my face). If you buy be sure to have the MUA "ground" up the top layer of your powder. They can just use a big, flat kabuki style brush and scrape away the top film as they did at the Nars store for me here in NYC. You don't lose hardly any powder at all and it just makes the powder all ready to use! It's ah-may-zing. A+.

13 out of 13 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/2/2013 10:33:00 AM More reviews by thecharm

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Blue

I'm going to let you in on a little secret about NARS Light Reflecting pressed powder: It's silica. It's silica with a makeover. It's like Mia Thermopolis, although instead of trading bushy hair and glasses for sleek and contacted, it trades the messy dust and white cast for a super hard-pressed powder with subtle micas breaking up the whiteness. The good news is there's a reason people like silica-based powders: they control oil and they blur pores. So if you like silica-based powders, you will really like this. If you like silica but find the tendency loose silica powders have to fly up into your face annoying or want a pressed version for travel, you will really like this. If silica makes your skin react or feel tight... you're not going to like this. It may be prettier than normal silica but that is what it is, mostly, at its core. NARS LRP is hard and has virtually no dust. I apply it with a black natural-hair brush so I can see just what I'm picking up and putting down. If you look closely you can see shimmery micas in the powder, however, they do not show up on my face at all. The effect is a satin, dry but not entirely matte finish. I needed a pressed powder, and I like this one, but I'm not so sold on it that I would call it a HG.

30 out of 31 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 2/27/2013 12:04:00 AM More reviews by xcessa

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

So, this is the emporer's new clothes of makeup. When you get it you think the hard powder isn't getting on your brush - don't worry, it is! You can't tell where you have put this on your face, and you can't see it. Yet when I wear it my makeup looks amazing the entire workday and I get comments on how nice it looks, which never happens! This seems too good to be true. One minus - over my loose mmu, it does absolutely nothing. But over liquids it is a must have. There is no noticeable shimmer. Don't bother comparing this to anything else. Get it!

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 2/26/2013 4:41:00 PM More reviews by sanduhra

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

With sensitive, acne-prone combination skin tending on the drier side, my skin reacts (belligerently) when I experiment with new products. I use two products on my face only - bb cream and stick concealer - and have rarely found success with powder. It usually doesn't stick around long enough to offset the danger of clogged pores.

This. Is. Different! Like the first reviewer, I initially thought that my brush wasn't picking anything up and kept swiping to no avail. Eventually I just applied whatever, not having high hopes. I thought I noticed that my skin looked softer and more even, but I was feeling pretty skeptical, and I didn't feel any product on my face. But by 3PM, I noticed something interesting: there was no oil in my customary forehead oil slick. NONE. And in pictures, I just looked GOOD. My skin glowed, but not in the typical feature-erasing flash that most powders produce.

This is the real deal. It controls oil, creates a diffuse glow, keeps makeup looking flawless and does not irritate skin. Repurchasing FOREVER.

10 out of 11 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 2/26/2013 3:09:00 PM More reviews by insuline

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I have tried MACs translucent powder before this one for setting my makeupand blending all the bronzer blush and illuminator trio but i think this is better, it makes my face flawless and like the product i used are not there even when i use liquid foundation. I have combination skin and it does not make me oily during the day and i dont need to refresh it for at least 5 hours. İ may say that the weather is not so hot in here these days so i dont know whether it would be that wonderful for summer but i think if you use some primer under i will stay long as well.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 2/14/2013 5:03:00 AM More reviews by bellasera973

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

A few problems if you have oily skin: It looks fabulous only for the first 15 mins. My skin looked matte and perfect; absolutely no pores, and no shine... but those with a shiny face will find that the evil shine happens shortly after (maybe 20 mins.) So a good makeup primer/shine control product is still needed.

I like using this instead of normal skin tone-colored powder, because it doesn't make my face look cakey at all... but it's really expensive, and again, doesn't control shine at all. Maybe those with normal or dry skin will have better luck.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 2/11/2013 5:33:00 PM More reviews by rtobiejr

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Wow. I have owned several powders (MUFE's revered HD, Ben Nye's banana powder, NARS loose powder in Mountain)-- so, I've been around the block. MUFE is great, but makes me itch (it has to be the silica, because there's only one ingredient). Banana powder is nice but is more for an evening event, as it is a mess to apply on the go. But this-- oh this-- in the words of Baby Bear is juuust right. does not make me look pale or splotchy, or oxidize or cast shadows, and the pressed powder variety travels so well. would I repurchase? you bet your porridge I would...

20 out of 24 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 2/7/2013 7:45:00 AM More reviews by darkharbour

This is an unusual product. When you first look at the tablet, it appears to be a milky white with some undertones of blue and perhaps green. You stroke a brush over it, look at the bristles, and . . . see nothing. So you go back and start scouring the tablet with your brush. Don't do that. It really should look clear or colorless on the brush. This is gossamer light, does not grab at all when applied over creamy foundations and blushes. I just used mine over LM Silk Cream and an Illamasqua cream blush. If you apply it sheerly, it evens the skin texture, reduces shine, and sets makeup. The texture is smooth but not dry. If you overapply, you can look a bit ghostly. There is no shimmer that shows up on your face, so the name may be a bit misleading. This stuff is virtually dust free. For reference, I am NW 20/25 with mature skin.

27 out of 27 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No