October 20, 2014 | 2009 users online

Cleansers - Neutrogena - Ultra Gentle Foaming Cleanser

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 5/8/2013 8:00:00 PM More reviews by tabloid

I have been using this cleanser for about a month but will not repurchase. I find it does not do a great job of removing eye makeup (I have to really scrub, which can't be good for the skin around my eyes). It also leaves my skin feeling somewhat tight and dehydrated.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/6/2013 8:38:00 PM More reviews by Corina1990

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

Out of all the sensitive skin/gentle type cleansers, I like this the most. It does a good job and I like the clean packaging. It doesn't burn my eyes like Olay, and it's more convenient to buy than Acne.org cleanser.

rated 1 of 5 on 4/24/2013 12:01:00 PM More reviews by Carybear

ok...I have been on that journey again. The search for the perfect, non irritating, non clogging cleanser.
I don't really go over this too often so I will here:
My skin since I hit my 30's has become the bitchiest thing ever. I can't use MOST things. I have combo skin with very light KP. I tend to get clogged easily, but rarely get a full-on breakout unless something I use does it. So the clogged pores stick around forever. I am prone to millia.
Allergic to Nicinamide. A note on that; there is a very specific "papule pattern" if you will, related to Nicinamide sensitivity that is consistent in most people. If you are using something with Nicinamide and you have small, red irritated bumps in the nasolabial area, you should stop using it. That is the hallmark pattern of nicinamide sensitivity.
You're welcome.

Back to this review.

I saw this @ shopper's and for all intents and purposes it seemed right, "Ultra Gentle" it shouted. Ok. Paula B calls it a "good" option. My faith in that woman's opinion is waning.
I got it home and tried it out.
I did not get the reactive welts and weals I get but holy crow, talk about a tight face!!!
A few seconds in my eyes started to water. I'm no dummy, I do not get cleanser in my eyes. The scent was so strong and cloying that it irritated my eyes.
Can I just say simply: Hated it. Binned it. Moving on.

7 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 4/18/2013 3:55:00 PM More reviews by HelloTrini

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Red, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I love this cleanser! I mainly bought it for a makeup remover and to wash my brushes with and it isn't too bad for that. I can get my waterproof mascara off with it. ;] I feel like it really does clean my skin and it foams very nicely. ;D I like it! Some people dislike the fragrance (mainly because it shouldn't have it since it is for sensitive skin), but I think it's lovely. I don't like the idea of rubbing fragrance on my face though, but I'll deal. Lol. I don't really have sensitive skin, I just bought it because I didn't want to jack up my face with something that isn't specifically for sensitive skin. Get what I mean?? All in all, I just use it to wash my makeup off. That's really all it is good for, in my opinion.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/10/2013 12:07:00 AM More reviews by themarshmalo

I like this cleanser quite a bit. It's very hard to find a foaming cleanser that doesn't completely dry out your skin, and I've tried other Neutrogena cleansers that claimed to be "gentle" and were too harsh. This certainly does the job! The only thing I dislike about it is the fragrance. And it's actually not strong on my face - but somehow every time I wash my face, a tiny little bit gets in between my lips and the taste is really awful. Not a huge deterrent, but that might be irritating to someone with more sensitive skin.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 2/27/2013 11:34:00 PM More reviews by blondebum

In my opinion, I don't necessarily agree that this product is ultra gentle. It is a mild cleanser in terms of not having any added acne fighting ingredients such as salicylic acid, benzoyl peroxide, lactic acid, glycolic acid, sulfur, retinol, etc. BUT does not help clear up irritated or broken out skin.If you are trying to fight acne then i don't think this would be the cleanser to do the trick. I wash all of my makeup brushes with this cleanser and it is very gentle on them, but other than that it has not helped with my complexion at all.

rated 3 of 5 on 2/27/2013 6:49:00 PM More reviews by nikrou

I'm bummed about this one guys. I saw the ad for this stuff in the summertime while looking through a magazine and that I would give it a shot. I typically use and am very loyal to Yes to Cucumbers Gentle Foaming Facial Wash. I came across it at a ross for cheap and have been using it ever since. I hardly get break outs and I definitely due owe it to Yes to Cucumbers. But with that said, I was really on the hunt for something new, cheaper and larger. Yes to Cumbers is 8bucks and about half the size of Neutrogena's Ultra Gentle face wash... mind you Neutrogena's is 10bucks and double the size. It just seemed right. So I went right a head and bought it. I even bought it Neutrogena Pore Refining Cleanser (the newly formulated one without the beads) since it was a buy one get one 50% off.

So let's cut to the core. Firstly, I dont understand how people can make a product for sensitive skin with it contains fragrance. The fragrance alone is enough to irritate skin. With that said, my area around my mouth all the way to my chin looked crazy after I washed my face with this stuff. This has happened to me before with face wash but because I have using Yes to Cucumbers for so long I just wasn't ready for the come back. I'm pretty sure my Yes to Cucumbers has fragrance (sure of it actually) but they do a pretty good job at keeping all of their products paraban free and all natural. So whatever fragrance YTC uses, it's at least better than Neutro.

This was a bummer because I really wan't to like it but I can't bare to use my face as a Guinea Pig for this stuff. It's a huge bottle and one that I'm sure would last me forever but I will stick to paying 8 bucks for 3.4 FL OZ than 10 bucks for 12 FL OZ. I personally don't have the time to wait for my face to go back to normal.

I see A LOT of others are having a great time with this stuff though. Maybe I will give it about shot when it's warmer.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/14/2013 7:51:00 AM More reviews by WutshudIDO

Age: 44-55 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I have really dry sensitive skin and most Cleansers just strip the moisture out of my skin .
This is Specifically made for people with sensitive skin . I have Rosacea and I wash with this and use cerave moisturizer and it makes my skin soft . It's a big bottle not expensive and a little goes a long way .

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/9/2013 3:33:00 PM More reviews by Gracious_Lady

I have combination skin that prior to accutane had a history of being acne prone. I use a prescription-grade retinol at night for maintenance, so I typically use a milder, gentler cleanser at night given retinol application before bed. For years, Cetaphil for Oily Skin has been my night-time cleanser of choice. Recently however, I just wanted to try something new. Neutrogena products typically have not disappointed me so when I saw this new cleanser, I had to try it. I'm glad I did -- I really like it. It gives me the "foaming action", and leaves my face feeling fresh and clean without even an inkling of a stripped feeling on my skin. I also find it is perfect for after working out ( in between the morning and evening face washing) and because it's pretty gentle on my skin, the extra face washing does not dry me out. It even removes makeup. 5-lippies! This one's a winner

rated 4 of 5 on 1/28/2013 10:25:00 PM More reviews by elkiddo

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I'm a 'goo hoarder' as I believe Jenna Marbles referred to it whom finds great delight in buying new skin care products and trying them out. Working in retail doesn't help this obsession or my bank account.

So on a typical day of aisle browsing this caught my eye. Therefore I purchased it, took it home, and tried out this magical goo.

It works wonders! One of the best cleansers I've ever hoarded, hands down.

Now I don't wear much make up on a day to day basis because I never really had a knack for putting it on right, so I can't say it does remove makeup well or doesn't. I can however say that after use my skin felt clean, soft, and looked radiant. Even now I still use this cleanser every night before bed to wash off the things I've accumulated on my skin throughout the day. After a month I've decided this is my go to face wash, and this goo hoarder has found a Love in her life she plans to keep around for a while.

However with Love comes complications. The only problem I've had with this wash is that it doesn't really foam. The wash itself tends to run down my arms while I'm using it thus causing me to pump out more. However this is a problem I'm willing to live with.